Posts by calabari1

Is this the ex Gugudan member?

I watch dramas all the time and I'm not sure I've seen her in anything.

She's definitely not Yoona/Suzy/IU level

Now that I know she was the female lead in Business Proposal, I couldn't agree more. She'll need multiple dramas of that quality and popularity to rise to the top.

It's not really fair to compare 2nd and 3rd gen because 3rd gen as a whole didn't have as many who took on solo activities until recently. And naturally 2nd gen has had more time to accumulate projects and experience and are now seen as "bigger names".

IU was widely criticised for her acting early on like in Moon Lovers, until My Mister which turned the public opinion around. Similarly with Suzy who got more praises recently in Anna, and improved later on in their careers. I mean all three of them have been acting for like more than 10 years now.

Kim Sejeong took on lead roles from the jump and got a Best New Actress in 2017. The Uncanny Counter was only her 3rd ever drama role, and was the highest rated drama in OCN history and was the first to reach double digits in ratings. And Business Proposal was another breakthrough and she was awarded SBS's Top Excellence Award.

If you look around, there are still a few 3rd gen actresses:

• Kim Sejeong
    • Bona also had a breakthrough with Kim Taeri in 25/21, expanded into lead role territory, but will need more time as a lead role to carry a drama in her name
    • Jung Chaeyeon was lead role in The Golden Spoon, was also in King's Affection with Park Eunbin and Rowoon, a popular historic drama
    • Kang Mina was in Hotel del Luna, won Best New Actress with KBS last year and is in Welcome to Samdalri currently airing now with Shing Hye-sun and Ji Chang-wook.
    • Yeonwoo, won MBC Best New Actress last year and is another rising actress
    • Joy, who SM tried their hand with in acting, but unfortunately just never stuck
    • Kim Doyeon, took on a few side character roles and play a few younger versions of main character like in One the Woman with Honey Lee and Jirisan with Jun Ji-hyun.
    • Arin was also in Alchemy of Souls, but just as a minor role.

I think dialectics and line delivery are very important in acting. Jisoo has a big disadvantage because of her voice. Normally, good singers deliver the lines more clearly, but Jisoo should have her throaty voice checked rather than having a cold, it's hard for her to act if she has that voice of her own. I hope she improves himself if she thinks about acting. Apart from the dialectic, Jisoo's acting was not bad compared to her first work. But acting is not as easy as everyone thinks. It's hard to make characters look real as if they're not acting. I prefer to watch actress and actors who have been thoroughly trained, know the technique of the job, and have been devoted to it for a long time. Even though it's my favorite idol, I usually watch the acting of idols without taking it seriously.

Seo Hyun-jin is seen as one of the best idol-actress and it's not just because of the visuals/facial expressions aspects but because of the verbal. Her voice projects well, good tone, and is often praised for her diction like speaking clearly without mumbling like a lot of bad actors do.

Yes, if she was bad they would have not casted her at all. People saying she is bad are the people who don't like her voice :mads:

Not necessarily. There are plenty of actors and actresses who are casted for their looks or popularity. It doesn't mean they are good actresses.

The thing is vocal tone (or intonation or whatever, I'm no expert) is very important in acting and her voice is not very suitable as an actress. She also speaks with a slight lisp as well so that hurts her as an actress as well.

The thing with Sohye is that people always clowned on her for being untalented, and some people don't like that she debuted with IOI. The bullying controversy definitently didn't help.

But, she still managed to snag a lead role this year in a drama with Lee Sangyeob. And strictly speaking on her acting, she's definitely a good actress.

I would put her in between the Mina/Chaeyeon tier and Nayoung/Doyeon, just because she's got a lead role in a TV drama, ratings aside and she had more work than Nayoung and Doyeon, but not quite the consistency like Mina and Chaeyeon.

The actors are up there.

Kang Mina is consistently booked in dramas and will be in Welcome To Samdalri with Shin Hyesun and Ji Changwook, which is airing next week.

Jung Chaeyeon is already in lead role status which tells you how people view her in terms of notoriety and popularity.

Lim Nayoung has also been steadily adding to her resumes with dramas and webdramas. Now she's in a KBS daily drama which I think was a good choice for her just getting experience and since those are always popular with the elderly crowd.

Kim Doyeon is the underdog just because she's in Fantagio who's managed Eunwoo and Kwon Nara. Now if they can just get their shit together and get Doyeon in more roles and projects.

Company's already given up on them, but at least this gives Doyeon and Yoojung the freedom to do more solo activities. They group has been holding them back for too long.

Look at how Jellyfish handled Gugudan. They cut their losses and now Sejeong and Mina have been doing dramas and other things with jam-packed schedule year after year. Mina has a movie with Yoo Seon-ho that came out just last week and another highly anticipated rom-com drama with Shin Hye-sun and Ji Chang-wook next week. Needless to say Sejeong is a superstar already.

Doyeon and Yoojung both have films coming out next year and hopefully Doyeon can become the next IOI actress cos her visuals is too good to be buried like this. Yoojung has always been a variety favourite so she needs to go solo.

What an odd comparison. Song Hye-kyo was already one of the biggest actresses in SK before DotS with multiple huge hits.

Completely different stages of their career.

Not comparing the two actresses or their careers at all. Of course Song Hye-kyo has been huge for a long time. I'm just giving an example to say hit projects are typically hard to follow up and not every project someone stars in is going to be massive commercial success.

Tentatively Sejeong because she hasn't really replicated Business Proposals Success yet. None of the main cast have for some reason

Lol no one in third gen even has any notable or iconic works at all. She's already had hits like Uncanny Counter and Business Proposal.

Of course when you have a hit project, it's not easy to follow up. It took Song Hye-kyo 8 years to follow up Descendants of the Sun with The Glory.

Five years ago, I would've said it's tight, but Suzy really pulled ahead in recent years.

Yoona fans would kill me for this but Yoona really benefited alot from being a SNSD member and was put in a lot of big productions with big names. Her fans always sneak in all these awards with Confidential Assignment or Exit or Big Mouth because Kpop fans don't watch a lot of Kfilms or Kdramas, but those who actually watched know that she has like 5 mins of screen time as a side character in Confidential Assignment and the jail dudes in Big Mouth hard carried the show with Yoona being a glorified love interest.

Han Hyo Joo or any other top actresses for that matter will never join. Weekly variety shows are hard work for little reward and they always prefer to maintain their actress image.

People blame companies for sexualising female idols, but yet in reality, it's worked and it's benefited many of their careers, like it or not.

Hani was able to kickstart hers and EXID's career with a single legendary fancam, and now Eunbi at least was able to gain some traction and momentum from Waterbomb. In saying that tho, it is a bit uncomfortable how that's literally all they talk about in shows she's guested on so far, but if it works for her then it is what it is.

In the end, it all depends on what they want to wear. There's been many instances where the idols appeared very uncomfortable, then they shouldn't be wearing those outfits. But in other instances, if that's what they want, then who's to say they can't wear them? Idols know what they're selling and if that's how they're going to survive in the industry then they're going to do what they have to.

She didn't fumble her career per se, however I do think she missed a big time opportunity.

She was always going to go down the actress path, and when disbandment came, she seemed like she was done with the idol life, and wanted to pursue her other passion straight away.

However, if she was to invest another 2-3 years into being an idol, I think her celebrity status would've elevated a lot more, and would lead to bigger opportunities for her as an actress. She could be getting lead roles straight away, rather than having to grind for 5+ years before landing a main role like how other actresses normally do.