Who was bigger 1.5 years into their career in Korea New jeans or Twice.

• Who was bigger 1.5. Years into their career in Korea? 96

1. NewJeans (51) 53%
    2. Twice! (45) 47%

Since we have loud mouth new jeans fans out here acting like they're the biggest GG ever made after a couple hits and shoved in everyone's face by HyBe.

Answer the question in the thread title. This was when they had released Like ooh ahh, cheer U, TT, knock knock. Iirc

So which was bigger in Korea? I definitely think it was twice new jeans are popular but are they Sha Sha Sana popular nahh.

• NewJeans rather easily :boompepe:

They've broken nearly every relevant record in Korea, while also setting plenty of records in the U.S.

It's not exactly a fair fight, considering how much K-Pop has expanded since 2016, but it's not like Twice disbanded when NewJeans debuted.

BlackPink is still able to pull historic numbers in the West today, and are the only group competitive with NewJeans. NJ and BP have the two biggest years on Spotify of any girl group in history.

And most of what NewJeans did in Korea was either the first time it happened since SNSD or the first time ever.

If you want to make this about era or generation, then NewJeans is more dominant relative to their peers than Twice was to theirs, even at their peaks.

:exit-pepe:

• I'm not into he whole numbers debate so I can't go into that but do they have any trends? Any trendy members? Much impact?

• I'm not into he whole numbers debate so I can't go into that but do they have any trends? Any trendy members? Much impact?

No girl group in the history of K-Pop ever came close to achieving things at NewJeans' pace, and we all know this, which is why these type of topics never turn into hit threads. :pepe-shrug:

• blackpink didn't even have a comeback last year. what are you competing with? air?

They meant NewJeans is currently threatening to overtake the peak numbers we saw from BlackPink.

By my estimation, they already have for most of the relevant metrics, and will take the remaining ones this year, with touring being the last battleground (this one won't come so easily, I admit)

• No girl group in the history of K-Pop ever came close to achieving things at NewJeans' pace, and we all know this, which is why these type of topics never turn into hit threads. :pepe-shrug:

Yeah I can't bother with numbers but I think you're delusional, twice was competing with prime SNSD, new jeans do they have any individual popularity? Any brand level recognition on the level of twice?

Also they have hits but they don't have a song like cheer up, numbers don't tell the whole story.

• They meant NewJeans is currently threatening to overtake the peak numbers we saw from BlackPink.

By my estimation, they already have for most of the relevant metrics, and will take the remaining ones this year, with touring being the last battleground (this one won't come so easily, I admit)

oh it's the weirdo. good luck with that, i guess.

• I just can't wait to see if NJ can put up the same numbers in their 7th year that BP is doing.

But from what I remember Twice seemed bigger to me in 2016/2017. I can't even prove it but I just felt it from everything I saw in Korea around that time. Both groups though had huge advantages with Twice coming off of Sixteen and NJ from Hybe and the legendary Min Heejin first ever group.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I just can't wait to see if NJ can put up the same numbers in their 7th year that BP is doing.

But from what I remember Twice seemed bigger to me in 2016/2017. I can't even prove it but I just felt it from everything I saw in Korea around that time. Both groups though had huge advantages with Twice coming off of Sixteen and NJ from Hybe and the legendary Min Heejin first ever group.

Yeah, I also think the members were popular whereas HyBe stans are just streaming the songs not caring about the members much.

Sana was a national sensation, is minji Hanni? They look like just cute but no personality.

• Yeah I can't bother with numbers but I think you're delusional, twice was competing with prime SNSD, new jeans do they have any individual popularity? Any brand level recognition on the level of twice?

Also they have hits but they don't have a song like cheer up, numbers don't tell the whole story.

2015-2016 is like... 4+ years after prime SNSD lol

tumblr_mbacq1PDzs1rvedkto1_500.gifv

少女時代

• Hits in Korea in that time:

Twice: LOA, Cheer up, TT, KK.

4 hits

NJ: Attention, Hype boy, Cookie, Ditto, OMG, Super shy, ETA + New jeans probably could be included too.

Let's say 7 and a half, with one comeback less.

Awards:

They both almost swept the rookie awards, in the next year Twice swept the sotys but was not competition for Exo or BTS in the rest (that wasn't peak BTS).

NJ on the other hand swept the sotys and won several Artist of the year awards regardless of having way worse physical sales than the top bgs because their impact was simply bigger and the judges voted for them.

You don't care about hits and charting? (ridiculous argument imo, charts are literally a reflection of the success of the music), You think awards are rigged or unfair or the competition was worse?

Gallup, literally a survey made to Korean people:

Twice failed to enter in their debut year, NJs debut was so huge that was the #7 artist just in the debut year. The following year Twice peaked at #2. They weren't blocked by BTS, they were blocked by Lim Chang Jung that had just released a big hit in October, 2016 was a perfect year for them to top it if they have had the impact NJ had.

NJ just went to #1 in 2023, first gg since SNSD in 2011.

There're other things, such as NJ's being able to chart pretty high all the songs of their album proving people really care about their music unlike the rest of ggs, they've broken almost all the records that could be broken regarding Korean stats, or they being nominated for all the daesangs in the KMA in their debut year and this year again, being recognized by the industry which is something that only BTS have done before. Literally every metric points out that NJ's first year and a half are the most succesful for any group ever, if people want to think otherwise... well, up to you.

• Until NewJeans will deliver something like this,

they can't compare xD

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com

• You're comparing different era when K-pop isn't that big these days anymore twice has much harder competition.

• Newjeans' best selling physical release beats the top for Twice but that isn't a real comparison for Korea since it is padded by fans outside the country.

The best point of comparison would have to be singles chart performance, and on Gaon, Twice's peak extended from Cheer Up until Signal 13 months later. During this period, 3 songs spent multiple weeks at the #1 spot on the Gaon (Now Circle) Weekly Digital chart. 3 songs in total achieved this during that stretch, and they never achieved it again after, with the longest charting at #1 for 3 weeks.

Cumulatively, they achieved #1 across their entire career for 14 weeks across 9 songs spanning a 2 and a half year period (No song after Yes or Yes reached #1).

Cheer Up for 3 weeks

TT for 3 weeks

Knock Knock 1 week

Signal 2 weeks

Likey 1 week

Heart Shaker 1 week

What is Love 1 week

Dance the Night Away 1 week

Yes or Yes 1 week

For comparison, Newjeans has:

Ditto #1 for 13 weeks (The highest/longest run in the history of the chart dating back to its start in 2009, surpassing the previous record set by BTS with Dynamite)

Super Shy for 8 weeks

Attention for 1 week

22 weeks in total across 3 songs spanning 1 year 2 months (During this stretch, around 30% of ALL WEEKS had NewJeans in the #1 spot.

This doesn't tell the whole story either, because it fails to include how dominant their B-Sides are, every single song they ever released premiered on Circle and nearly all of them have charted on Melon, with a huge proportion of them even making it into the top 10 on Melon/Circle, or being blocked from #1 by other Newjeans releases. Girl Groups occasionally will have a popular B-Side which will, chart, but what sets Newjeans across is that it happens consistently across every release.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that from the week after their debut, Week 33 in 2022 until Week 44 of 2023, at least 1 NewJeans song was ALWAYS in the Circle Top 10. That represents 65 consecutive weeks on the chart. Even as of this week, they have never once not had a song not in the top 20 since debut (Next week, that may finally move down to 25 though).

I really don't think people here understand how insane and unprecedented these achievements are.

• You all better be glad I went out on a long ass trek before I could unleash on this thread. Only reason I went light to begin with is because I'm not giving Ripia a low effort hit thread, when I can just make it myself and get all the smoke there.

People have already given the hard numbers and facts behind this being a lopsided comparison in favor of NewJeans. We have literally NEVER seen a girl group dominate to this extent in Korea this early into their careers.

Whether it's digital, physicals, public recognition, daesangs or even gallup surveys, NewJeans is ahead of Twice by miles in every category.

This...isn't close. We have never seen a girl group do most of the things NewJeans have done to Korea's charts in 2022/2023. It's no disrespect to Twice, but NewJeans have taken the bar and set it into the stratosphere from the moment they debuted.

• For all your talk about how it isn't close the polls says otherwise.

Screenshot_2024-02-04-12-19-32-00_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• This thread contains 98 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!