Is NewJeans the reason behind all these pre-releases in KPOP lately?

• Yep. Pre-releases have obviously existed before NewJeans but they kind of faded out after 2nd gen. Not saying no one was doing them but they weren't popular. Now after NewJeans debut suddenly popular groups who barely promoted b-sides before are doing pre-releases. I'm glad they brought it back, it means more content and more care being put into promoted b-sides.

• yes it is all their FAULT. we do NOT need to HEAR pre-releases. JUST GIVE US THE title TRACK. TIRED of these pre releases. LAZY! so terrible to me. We should blame blackpink too they did this. New jeans out here ruining KPOP. so sick to me. so sick. love them though. LOVE pre-releases. love hearing new music.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• Whoever is the responsible I'm just glad we are back to what used to be common. Kpops comebacks rollout always annoyed me during 3rd gen. One of the things that I used to like the most about BTS is since 2015 they release a couple of MVs and perform more than just one song during their comebacks.

• Lmao not even in your delusional dreams hybe stans.

Pre releases or actually lead singles as they should be called, started back in 2nd gen, it died for majority in acts for the 3rd gen but it became the new norm after 2020 and there are 3 clear actual influence on it.

IU, BP and bts. The 3 found relative success with their pre releases singles from the late 2020 and early 2021 part: HYLT, Celebrity and dynamite were fully succesful without killing the albums title track as much as earlier attempts like black swan retrospectively did with on. And for IU she even had success doing it much earlier too like with Love Poem in 2019 and with Through the Night in 2017.

After the 3 mentioned above hits, companies started doing it much more in 2021-2022 but for attempts at the western scene, then 2023 just became a new normal

• didn't bp have pre-releases though? pink venom and shut down

Yup, but it's not a coincidence that after Newjeans debut and cb, almost all top 4th gen gg if not all cb with pre-released. They're not so secretive about their bside anymore too. I know a lot of companies learn from Nj that it's a good way to build a hype and make people aware of their group's cb before the real TT drop.

• Whoever is the responsible I'm just glad we are back to what used to be common. Kpops comebacks rollout always annoyed me during 3rd gen. One of the things that I used to like the most about BTS is since 2015 they release a couple of MVs and perform more than just one song during their comebacks.

Pre releases are fun, an album with just one promotional single annoys me.

• companies started doing it much more in 2021-2022 but for attempts at the western scene, then 2023 just became a new normal

What companies?

I do not remember this being a thing until mid last year

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• Yup, but it's not a coincidence that after Newjeans debut and cb, almost all top 4th gen gg if not all cb with pre-released. They're not so secretive about their bside anymore too. I know a lot of companies learn from Nj that it's a good way to build a hype and make people aware of their group's cb before the real TT drop.

not sure about that lol didn't aespa have a prerelease before with illusion? if I'm not mistaken that was even before nj's debut and ive released previously pre-releases and red velvet had pre-releases in the past and there are many other groups that come to mind. gidle also did it in 2020,

like chilean-stan1 said this has been done before with second gen + several Yg groups as far as I remember and blackpink pre-release how you like that- Love sick girls is a good example of how succesful that can be. Pink venom/shut down was the same strategy.

• not sure about that lol didn't aespa have a prerelease before with illusion? if I'm not mistaken that was even before nj's debut and ive released a previously pre-releases red velvet had pre-releases in the past and there are many other groups that come to mind.

like chilean-stan1 said this has been done before like several Yg groups and blackpink pre-release how you like that- Love sick girls is a good example of how succesful that can be. Pink venom/shut down was the same strategy.

Yeah aespa released life's too short as a pre-release too before they even release illusion

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Like you said I think normally k-pop groups release a b-side MV after the title track or at the same time as the title track. I feel that doing it before is more effective like B in anticipation of A, 3 days. then A!!!!. instead of A!!!, 3 days, Hey look B (when no one even knows it is coming).

But I guess sometimes, people might get disappointed when the real title ends up being worse.

didn't bp have pre-releases though? pink venom and shut down

Actually now that you bring it up. I think there is a difference between a pre-release a month in advance and it gets its own space (BP's and Ditto) and the ones 1-2 weeks in advance that are basically treated as part of the teaser schedule. ( (G)I-DLE, aespa's and Ive's )

edit: I mean aespa's current album

• The thing about New Jeans pre-releases, it doesn't feel like a pre-release?

It feels more like a double title track

Maybe it's the charting like Ditto is doing better than OMG.

Usually pre-releases are just hype for the actual main track. Like Kitsch was pre-released aos a track to hype I AM, and I AM eventually outdid Kitsch on the charts.

Same for aespa pre-releases, and I'm almost certain (G)I-DLE's main track will outdo Allergy

But for New Jeans, it doesnt feel that way? It feels like both tracks have equal focus it doesn't seem like Ditto is a pre-release but more as a double title track with OMG

• And No i know Newjeans fans love to credit newjeans for everything in kpop but no

Just few months before Newjeans debuting a lot of female artist start to do Pre-release

Blackpink did many times pre-release hylt/Lovesick girls, Pink venom/shut down

Aespa released life's too short/ illusion before girls

Taeyeon did can't control myself/INVU

Mamamoo released Dingga and then cameback with Aya

Chungah released stay tonight as a re-release too

Itzy released boys like you as a pre-release before cheshire comeback

And the list goes on and on

So my answer is clearly No, when you have so many top artist doing pre-release few months or the year before Newjeans even drop ditto

It's clearly show that pre-release was already becoming a normal thing to do in kpop

And Newjeans, IVE, gidle are just following the trend that was appearing

• wtf are you talking about? kitsch is the first pre-release song ive has ever done; rv has never done a single pre-release song in their life and gidle never had any pre-release in 2020. allergy is the first time they’ve had a pre release. Oh my god and dumdi dumdi were entirely separate albums released 4 months apart, none of which had a pre-release lol.

Not a single group you mentioned actually did what you claimed they did, i can’t :pepe-life-support: Not this entire history rewrite

is this your 4th or 5th account, whi?

nope, Ive had a prerelease in 2022 with after like I wasn't sure about G idle but the point this has done way before espcially in 2nd gen and YG groups always had pre-release nothing about this is new here SooYoung is showing examples ^ about other pre-released that have been done before . We shouldn't be having this conv when bp was the one that had pre-releases in 2020 and last year

• thank you!

• is this your 4th or 5th account, whi?

nope, Ive had a prerelease in 2022 with after like I wasn't sure about G idle but the point this has done way before espcially in 2nd gen and YG groups always had pre-release nothing about this is new here SooYoung is showing examples ^ about other pre-released that have been done before . We shouldn't be having this conv when bp was the one that had pre-releases in 2020 and last year

who the fuck said anything about bp and others? not everyone’s obsessed with bp or cares about them every second of their life and wants to make everything about them. stick to the fucking things people actually say and don’t invent unrelated stuff bc you don’t have anything better in an attempt to rebuff them.

I don’t give a single shit who you want to credit the prerelease trend and i think fighting over even stupid things like that is dumb as shit but kpop stans gotta do kpop stans things ig. the point is ive never had a prerelease before kitsch - they don’t have any prerelease after “after like” in 2022 like you claim. rv never had a prerelease. those are the things you claimed and you were wrong, so I corrected only those things. stick to the fucking point and try to read. your reading comprehension is fucking busted to the point 99% of your post had absolutely no accuracy or relevance to the post you replied to. brush up on that first before thinking you’re a genius for figuring out 1 plus 1 equals 2 lmao

• who the fuck said anything about bp and others? not everyone’s obsessed with bp or cares about them every second of their life and wants to make everything about them. stick to the fucking things people actually say and don’t invent unrelated stuff bc you don’t have anything better in an attempt to rebuff them.

I don’t give a single shit who you want to credit the prerelease trend and i think fighting over even stupid things like that is dumb as shit but kpop stans gotta do kpop stans things ig. the point is ive never had a prerelease before kitsch - they don’t have any prerelease after “after like” in 2022 like you claim. rv never had a prerelease. those are the things you claimed and you were wrong, so I corrected only those things. stick to the fucking point and try to read. your reading comprehension is fucking busted to the point 99% of your post had absolutely no accuracy or relevance to the post you replied to. brush up on that first before thinking you’re a genius for figuring out 1 plus 1 equals 2 lmao

I was not wrong technically it was pre-release

IVE to pre-release 'After LIKE' on TikTok one day ahead of its official release
    Girl group IVE will be pre-releasing their highly anticipated third single title song "After LIKE!"According to IVE's agency Starsh…
    www.allkpop.com

red velvet's automatic if I'm not mistaken was a pre-release single

'Red Velvet' Unveils 'Automatic' Music Video Ahead Of 'Ice Cream Cake' Album Release [VIDEO]
    The song "Automatic" is a pre-release track for their upcoming full length album "Ice Cream Cake."
    www.kpopstarz.com

the whole point if these prereleases have been done before also don't you get tired of making accounts after getting banned?

• yikes.. that article was saying that ive would post a snippet of after like on tiktok prior to the release of after like, in other words it’s a “prerelease” spoiler for the actual song, not that the song is a prerelease :pepe-joy: you do know what “prerelease” actually means right? there has to be a followup release for a song to be a prerelease of anything lol. they did the same thing for i am too and “prereleased” it on tiktok aka posted a spoiler for it, similar to what nayeon did for pop.

this is how fake news gets spread around lmao

Edited 2 times, last by whippet ().

• not sure about that lol didn't aespa have a prerelease before with illusion? if I'm not mistaken that was even before nj's debut and ive released previously pre-releases and red velvet had pre-releases in the past and there are many other groups that come to mind. gidle also did it in 2020,

like chilean-stan1 said this has been done before with second gen + several Yg groups as far as I remember and blackpink pre-release how you like that- Love sick girls is a good example of how succesful that can be. Pink venom/shut down was the same strategy.

Ive pre-released after like in tiktok a day before they drop the song and it's still a same song with their TT. Not what they do with kitsch now, it's totally different. As I said, yup you're right many gg doing it before but have u seen where all top groups doing the same pre-released strategy back to back before Nj debut and cb? Clearly it's not even a thing in 4th gen or even 3rd gen. It's happen once in a blue moon but suddenly Itzy to Stayc to Ive, to Lsrfm to Aespa to Gidle all released it lol in their new cb right after Nj success with their 3 TT and first cb. I repeat again, all of them, all the top 4th gen gg doing it at the same time. Have this happened before?

I know you don't want to acknowledge their impact but wow I really amaze if you are unable to see the obvious thing here. I mean, BP is not even the first girl crush group in kpop or 3rd gen yet they have impacted the industry to follow them. It's just the same thing with Nj lol.

• yikes.. that article was saying that ive would post a snippet of after like on tiktok prior to the release of after like, in other words it’s a spoiler for the actual song, not that the song is a prerelease :pepe-joy: you do know what “prelease” actually means right? there has to be a followup release for a song to be a prerelease of anything lol. they did the same thing for i am too and “prereleased” it on tiktok aka posted a spoiler for it, same as what nayeon did for pop.

this is how fake news gets spread around lmao

you are missing the whole point lol about pre-releases tik tok or not and I have other examples like blackpink pre-releases

I'm basically giving my opinion so here you are risking getting banned again only because I disagree with that statement .

funny you didn't say anything about red velvet automatic it was a prerelease or sooyoung's examples of other groups doing pre-releases before of course you are gonna ignore that WHI.

• Ive pre-released after like in tiktok a day before they drop the song and it's still a same song with their TT. Not what they do with kitsch now, it's totally different. As I said, yup you're right many gg doing it before but have u seen where all top groups doing the same pre-released strategy back to back before Nj debut and cb? Clearly it's not even a thing in 4th gen or even 3rd gen. It's happen once in a blue moon but suddenly Itzy to Stayc to Ive, to Lsrfm to Aespa to Gidle all released it lol in their new cb right after Nj success with their 3 TT and first cb. I repeat again, all of them, all the top 4th gen gg doing it at the same time. Have this happened before?

I know you don't want to acknowledge their impact but wow I really amaze if you are unable to see the obvious thing here. I mean, BP is not even the first girl crush group in kpop or 3rd gen yet they have impacted the industry to follow them. It's just the same thing with Nj lol.

Itzy didn’t have a pre release until last year. But they used to have multiply mv for their cb so I don’t think NJ impacted them

Also Ditto is NJ’s first pre-release I don’t think in the span of 5 months they affected how groups promotes their singles :pepe-hips:

• I kind of agree with the title, yes it has been done before but it is just that suddenly multiple groups that have never done a pre-release before are now doing it at the same time (Ive and Gidle). (aespa did it before)

In Ive's case it's for their first full album, but for I-dle there is no special circumstance.

However, I'm not sure if it's too dramatic to say they got the idea from NJ, just cause they did it in Dec - Jan. Because as I said Kitsch and Allergy are happening 2 weeks and 1 week before the comeback and that is a different timing of pre-release track than 1 month before, that can be treated more like a teaser by fans.

As far as I can tell there is no formal definition of "pre-release" (just like "mediaplay", when I googled I only found references to k-pop), so anyone can call a song a pre-release regardless of how close it is to the official release and regardless if it is actually released as its own single. But in my opinion, if the "pre-release song" is released so close to the album like 7 days or less before*, then it might as well just be a teaser with a different name.

edit: *Even if there is a full high budget MV and it includes the whole song (not just half)

I just found out Fifty Fifty called their track released 4 days before their debut a pre-release too. (Lovin' Me and Higher)

• you are missing the whole point lol about pre-releases tik tok or not and I have other examples like blackpink pre-releases

I'm basically giving my opinion so here you are risking getting banned again only because I disagree with that statement .

funny you didn't say anything about red velvet automatic it was a prerelease or sooyoung's examples of other groups doing pre-releases before of course you are gonna ignore that WHI.

yikes x2 I can’t tell if you’re purposefully trying to act dumb or what.. posting a spoiler for a song does not make it a prerelease song lmao do you even hear what’s coming out of your mouth wtf. this whole thread’s point is about prerelease songs aka AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SONG released prior to the main title track, eg. black swan - on, hylt - lsg, moonlight sunrise - set me free etc, NOT a “prerelease” snippet of the actual title track lmao jesus christ it’s like talking to a toddler. ive “prereleased” i am on tiktok in the exact same manner they did for after like, are you gonna say i am is a prerelease too, and kitsch and i am are both prereleases the same way? in case you still need it spelt out for you, no, they’re not, and this thread is obviously only looking at the former case and hence that’s the only relevant case worth mentioning

I didn’t mention automatic bc it’s an mv released only on youtube 2 days before ice cream cake and people basically treated it as a double title track due to logic, but if you want to have that one then sure you can have it lol. for the last time, I don’t care at all about this benign debate about who started or popularised this prerelease trend and you can believe whatever you want, you don’t need to persuade me with unrelated points idgas about. don’t know how many more times i’ll have to repeat this before you stop shoving your opinion about who owns the credit down my throat, but apparently you think me not talking about it means I’m ignoring it bc i can’t support my counterargument, when in reality I actually don’t have any argument at all and didn’t talk about it bc I don’t care lol. but alas no one could accuse you of being bright or logical before

The only thing i did was correcting wrong information, nothing else, but in classic fashion you brought up every other unrelated personal things that you think is usable to attack the other poster, and the ironic part is you think you did sth but you didn’t lmao. ask one of your currently active fellow bp stans the reason their previous acc got banned, and how many other active users from all other fandoms got banned at the same time around half a year ago. are you gonna be a non-hypocrite and call out your buddy bp stan for being previously banned too? newsflash sweatie, my posts talking to you so far will not get me banned and never got me banned, so no need for the fake concern. people only get banned around here for standing up against and calling out owners and mods abusing power and doing a poor job in their positions, and that’s not the personal attack weapon you think you have lmao. and congrats for being the total genius you think you are, deducing that a bird is a bird when that bird never tried to conceal that it’s a bird 🤓

Edited 2 times, last by whippet ().

• you’re right in the sense that yes, these artists have frequently been running the pre release route but you have to admit this new rollout strategy started after newjeans saw major success with ditto & omg. most of these groups (ive, gidle, etc.) have had regular title track promo before when bp and bts were doing pre-releases but the moment ditto/omg dropped suddenly everyone’s been going this route. not saying newjeans are the pioneers lmao but won’t hurt to admit they’ve played a huge roll in this new promotion strategy

• I kind of agree with the title, yes it has been done before but it is just that suddenly multiple groups that have never done a pre-release before are now doing it at the same time (Ive and Gidle). (aespa did it before

WTF

Aespa did pre-release before newjeans even debut some of you need to stop with this fake narrative that aespa suddenly start to do pre-release thanks to NEWjeans

When they pre-release Life's too short and Illusion

As pre-release for the Girls EP 😑😑😑

• this new rollout strategy started after newjeans saw major success with ditto & omg. most of these groups (ive, gidle, etc.) have had regular title track promo

Who beside ive and gidle ????

Because in my previous comment i already mention tons of female artist who were doing pre-release before ditto even came out so i don't see from where this "etc..." Came out

• Also people mention how twice have been influence by Newjeans to do pre-release with moonlight sunrise

But actually even Twice did pre-release before NJ exist, JYP released Cry for me as a gift to ONCE but also as a pre-release for "Taste of love" EP

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So as i said when all the top GG of the times was already doing pre-release before NewJeans was even born

You can't credit them for popularizing pre-release when 98% of gg already did pre-release

• It would make more sense to say BTS and BP popularized the pre-release segment in kpop.

Agree but i think people are just stupid, blindfolded or delusional to credit NewJeans at this point

2 groups did pre-release after ditto; Ive and Gidle

Aespa, taeyeon, mamamoo, Twice, Itzy, chungha, etc .... Did pre-release after Blackpink released How you like that

• This thread contains 56 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!