So is the Youtube views discourse finally dead in ditch?

• I really don't see any 4th gen fandom shoving them down everyone's throats the way blinks were. Maybe it is because there is a no particular leader in that metric or because people simply look at New Jeans popularity, compare it to their abysmal Youtube views and go "hmm, maybe YT isn't an indicator after all"?

• Yt used to be a relatively reliable metric tho, back when bp first debuted it definitely still had some merits, but since companies realised that ad views can be added to the video’s view count itself in the past few years it certainly has lost much of the credibility it used to have bc now companies can just “legally” manipulate views with paid ads

• I dream of the day YouTube is replaced.

If this video is correct tiktok will replace Youtube :boompepe:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I really don't see any 4th gen fandom shoving them down everyone's throats the way blinks were. Maybe it is because there is a no particular leader in that metric or because people simply look at New Jeans popularity, compare it to their abysmal Youtube views and go "hmm, maybe YT isn't an indicator after all"?

Hmmm...are you implying that their "abysmal" YT views are more reflective of their actual popularity?

• ads. celebrating inflated views is stupid. chesire had 16m in first 8 days and the view count showed 40+ million. congrats to jype promoting their artists, every company should do it

• Hmmm...are you implying that their "abysmal" YT views are more reflective of their actual popularity?

You can't trust ANY information provided by youtube as far as viewship, popularity etc. If you so much as pause a video to pee or minimize the screen, as far as youtube is concerned you never watched it. My dirty toilet paper provides better statistics.

• You can't trust ANY information provided by youtube as far as viewship, popularity etc. If you so much as pause a video to pee or minimize the screen, as far as youtube is concerned you never watched it. My dirty toilet paper provides better statistics.

The worst thing about Youtube views and the main reason I was always sceptic about them is how huge the impact of algorithm can be. I remember BTS Fire and Blackpink Boombayah went from 6 digit number to 4 digit number for some time, just because thery stopped showing up on recommended and auto plays. That is crazy. That's why you have Gangnam Style and Despacito still getting millions of views, even tho nobody freaking listens to them. It is all freaking algorithm.

• The worst thing about Youtube views and the main reason I was always sceptic about them is how huge the impact of algorithm can be. I remember BTS Fire and Blackpink Boombayah went from 6 digit number to 4 digit number for some time, just because thery stopped showing up on recommended and auto plays. That is crazy. That's why you have Gangnam Style and Despacito still getting millions of views, even tho nobody freaking listens to them. It is all freaking algorithm.

algorithm works in Spotify too

• ads. celebrating inflated views is stupid. chesire had 16m in first 8 days and the view count showed 40+ million. congrats to jype promoting their artists, every company should do it

The problem with these gimmicks to inflate numbers, either on YouTube or Spotify, is who's paying for that?

Does the artist have a say on whether to use it or not?

That triple SSS group, for example, used a lot of ads to inflate the views, question is, the benevolent Jaden Jeong is setting them up as he did with Loona?

That becomes a problem with groups from small companies, that just don't have the money, all those views, just more money to be paid back.

• companies paid for ads. also, fans can buy them too

what do you mean by if artists have a say or not? why would they complain about their company promoting them?

• companies paid for ads. also, fans can buy them too

what do you mean by if artists have a say or not? why would they complain about their company promoting them?

So all companies paid for the ads? Even the small ones?

Everglow used so many ads with their mvs for a long time, that's why they are thriving these days.

• So all companies paid for the ads? Even the small ones?

Everglow used so many ads with their mvs for a long time, that's why they are thriving these days.

yep! companies pay them and occasionally fans, you can see on the video who paid for the ad

i cannot remember who was it, but i got an ad that was bought by the idol's fans. it's like lisa, suga, and j-hope fans would buy ads for them. and to be clear bts and blackpink don't use ads, it definitely wasn't their ad i saw.

• I still can't believe enough wuckfits listen to an unwanted "ad" mv enough for it to count as view that it significantly impacts a view count.

Ad's enrage me. I WILL skip them when they arrive, and if they are obnoxious enough, I maliciously report them.

On my PC I adblock EVERYTHING, including Youtube. So much more chill.

• Yt important as it count to music shows and it's growing to a important chart in Korea

Nobody fault 4th gen suck at it, most of their metric are very front loaded anyway, not just in yt

• It's still the biggest indicator of global popularity.

It's the only platform that's available everywhere with no cost. Spotify is still not universally available.

Local charts and platforms like Melon is dying.

Why aren't 4th gen girl groups hitting numbers like BLACKPINK? Well first it's unfair to anyone to compare them to Blackpink. They are a global phenomenon.

Secondly it's probably because global fans don't pay that much attention to Kpop as we do. So they probably see any Korean girl group as a copy of BLACKPINK. So they probably ask why they'd watch a copy.

It also seems that globally 4th gen boy groups do better than than 4th gen girl groups. It's just a reality.

Butts in seats is the next biggest indicator. BLACKPINK wins here too...along with boy groups. Again, just a reality.

2. Tours

3. Nothing else matters

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• im not sure what some of u guys mean by youtube views not reflecting popularity. Minus the fact that some companies bought ads, those that didnt actually are quite in line with the perceived popularity.

The last i saw, IVE and LESSERAFIM are still pulling good views for latest comeback (despite their lower global popularity as compared to ITZY). But JYP used so much ads nowadays that it discredits their views.

I believe NEWJEANS views are kinda poorer as compared to peers because (1) they are still new and no big fanbase and (2) they release too many videos simultaneously and the views are split. It happened to Hype Boy and now Ditto. For hype boy, the highest viewed is their OT5 performance video released a month after the 4 MVs. Their views summed up is still pretty good imo. MV views are still a good reflection of popularity.

• YT is just a dying platform. You can even see fandoms start to prioritize Spotify & Apple Music over YT due to multiple factors such as them deleting views. Add on the fact that companies can just pay their way into a seemingly impressive 24 hr view record now and yeah it's no wonder why no one seems to care about them now.

YouTube isn't a dying platform just because it doesn't provide accurate viewing numbers for music videos. Most YT users don't even care about that, because they aren't Kpop fans wanting to boast about how many times they can watch an MV. If YouTube dies, it will be because of its absurdly restrictive rules about what you can and can't do if you want to stay monetized, since no one makes videos just for the sake of it any more. They want to get paid.

That said, as someone mentioned previously, YT will not be replaced by a Chinese app like TikTok. We would never allow that, and we even nearly banned TikTok here several years ago. Not to mention the app would have to be entirely overhauled in order to function like YT. Which begs the question, can anyone even create a replacement for YT without being sued for copying their idea? This is what leads me to believe YouTube won't be replaced by a competitor any time soon, no matter how poorly managed it is.

• . Maybe it is because there is a no particular leader in that metric or

This.

• Yt has never been a good indicator of global popularity. Some regions like latin America, south east Asia and south Asia was using yt as primary music source untill very recently while almost everyone living in developed countries have their paid streaming services. This why some relatively unknown latin and Bollywood songs have more views some global hit English songs. And then there are ad views. So definitely yt is not a reliable indicator.

• Yt has never been a good indicator of global popularity. Some regions like latin America, south east Asia and south Asia was using yt as primary music source untill very recently while almost everyone living in developed countries have their paid streaming services. This why some relatively unknown latin and Bollywood songs have more views some global hit English songs. And then there are ad views. So definitely yt is not a reliable indicator.

YouTube India puts up huge numbers, even my nugu faves would have a high count from India.

• BTS with armys then later BP with blink made it relevant but like many users here said.

Since the ridiculous amount of adds are bought especially nugu groups with 30M views but with 200k like or newer SM&JYP groups inflated the whole brand are Yt views noting special anymore.

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!