The Gap between International Fans and K-O-R-E-A-N fans - most viewed videos of 2021

• The most viewed Kpop music video of 2021 is , according to this clip which was just released today (Dec 15),

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BTS' Butter at 643M views.

But,

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(in Korean)

Youtube Korea certified that

This, with an underwhelming 34.6 million views as of today,

is the Most Viewed Youtube Video of ALL of K-O-R-E-A

in 2021.

The most viewed music video in Korea is Lim Youngwoong's Starry Love, with 44M views but apparently there are a number of views from other countries ( countries with older Korean immigrants) so his Korean views were less than what the Singer who contributed almost nothing to KPop's worldwide growth's Killing Voice.

Which means at least 609M of Butter's 643M views came from outside of Korea.

Ditto to the most viewed KPop videos - they only have to subtract 34M from their view counts to get the number of foreign views.

Korea is relevant for 34/643 of BTS views (actually less than 34 but this is for ease of calculation ) or

5.3% of the total!

This year, the Koreans put the Singer who contributed not too much to the advancement of Kpop around the world back to the throne, and Lim Youngwoong to the next highest position.

I read a fantasy story when I was younger. Long story short, there was a big calamity in a city, and the heroes fight all the way to remove it.

After the crisis was over, there is a debate between the heroes. The central character opposes giving power back to the people, who might restore the culprits which brought the calamity. But others said bullshit like the due process of law , majority rule.

So an election was made, and the people promptly put back the folks who led the city to this calamity. The central character , knowing what would happen, quietly leaves the city, adding that he never heard again about his friends who gave the power back to the people many years later.

The whole statistics showed that if Koreans ran KPop, they will select people like Lim Youngwoong and the Singer who managed to contribute not too much to the advancement of KPop, not people like BTS, BlackPink or aespa.

It also shows that as long as the Singer who contributed so little towards Kpop's World Conquest, as long as her control of Melon continues, will continue to derail any attempt to advance Kpop further.

taylor-swift-eras-tour-via-variance-films-.jpg

Edited once, last by WhyKnock ().

• Not surprising. BTS is lionized in Korea, literally the entire country supports them for their achievements, as a matter of national pride, not necessarily because of their actual music.

Which is also what I fear. BTS's worldwide fame supports the Kpop craze but when it begins to slow down the entire Kpop structure could be toppled because the Korean general public still supports the domesticists with little presence outside of Korea.

• It makes me think that BTS’s Global Domination is really more incredible. Here is a boy band made up of seven South Korean men who’s musical catalog is made up of 99 percent songs sung in Korean but have incredible success on a world wide scale. Look at the demand for tickets at Sofi and fans from 68 countries flew to see them sing most of their concert again in Korean. Pretty spectacular

• Lol did you finally figure it out that BTS pulls majority of their streams outside Korea ^^

• Anything to refuse the fact that they curbstomp the 3rd gen girls in digitals huh?

Not really. I mean, BTS has only FOUR songs that reached #1 on Melon Daily chart. Twice has like seven to nine. Even BP has three. Plus, none of their songs can remain in the top 10 of Melon for long except Dyna.

If you think about it, BTS has been taking a lot of blows since last year from GGs.

On and Black Swan lost to HYLT, Dolphin, and Nonstop.

LGO lost to LSG.

Butter and PTD lost to Next Level and Rollin.

MU lost to Savage.

The only win that BTS has is Dyna.

• Why are you shocked that BTS has a huge amount of views globally compared to Korea? This shows how organic BTS views are, and if you break down the views, it will be distributed in many countries from Japan to India to USA to Saudi Arabia to SEA to South America.. It really is impressive. They truly are a global group.

Anyway..

So if act A got 34M views from Korea and none from outside Korea, their views will be 100% korea. And if BTS also has 34M views from Korea and their overall views is 643M, (I’m quoting you here), views from Korea is 5.3%. Is it really logical to conclude that act A is popular in Korea but not BTS because act A has 100% views from Korea?

Lol

• You realised you have to pit BTS (just one act) against 4 different GGs to say they lost? lol

• pasted-from-clipboard.jpgpasted-from-clipboard.jpg

But BTS can do this in any fucking country they choose.

• You realised you have to pit BTS (just one act) against 4 different GGs to say they lost? lol

Actually i threw in OMG and BG as an afterthought. You could just use BP and Aespa and come away with the same result. And Aespa only because BP did nothing this year.

ON and BS got beat by HYLT.

LGO got beat by LSG.

Butter and PTD got beat by NL.

MU got beat by Savage.

• At some point you need to stfu and stop trying to start shit with armys. Seriously it is annoying and I don't even stan bts

• Still..

And anyway, LSG was beaten by Dynamite, Ice cream was beaten by Dynamite too.. are you purposely forgetting King Dynamite? Lol

• Still..

And anyway, LSG was beaten by Dynamite, Ice cream was beaten by Dynamite too.. are you purposely forgetting King Dynamite? Lol

lol no, i literally mentioned them in my first post, as the lone BTS victory. I think everyone is so caught up with BTS headlines, especially Army themselves, that the cold hard truth sometimes gets hidden.

• I thought about it but when people talk about 3rd gen national hits they mention red flavor DDDD and cheer up while Spring Day is bigger than all of them combined ?

Their songs with the best longevity are BWL butter and Dynamite.

Most of their songs are under 12 weeks in the top 10 but in fact they have a better longevity than songs which had better peak.

I don’t know that much about their Korean charting. But they have like 8-10 songs which spent more than 52 weeks which is probably more than most of these 3rd GG.

Korea is that much obsessed with them that all their songs will chart well :

- A remix spent like a year on melon.

- My universe which is random collab with a British group managed to chart that high.

• You've been a clown since you tried to argue that charting on the bubbling under hot 100 was a bigger achievement then actually charting on the hot 100

Bubbling Under for a TEN MONTH OLD GG with a Korean song with ZERO US promotions. What was BTS doing after 10 months? Or any group for that matter? You could make an argument that that is the single most impressive accomplishment in Kpop after Psy of course.

• lol no, i literally mentioned them in my first post, as the lone BTS victory. I think everyone is so caught up with BTS headlines, especially Army themselves, that the cold hard truth sometimes gets hidden.

I think you’re the one who is caught up in your story, as a coping mechanism :p

That’s ok. I know that one day you will stan BTS and when you do, all of your anxiety and stress about who is better than BTS will magically go away

• I only speak truth to enlighten and illuminate, never to start shit. Everything i have stated is fact. X(

No it isn't. This narrative of all koreans being success stans bc of international success needs to stop. There are several groups charting on billboard 200 and it made no difference for their korean charting. Then there is money or the feels which charted on the hot 100... remind me where they stand in korea, yeah I thought so.

You post in the digital thread so you should be aware bts were doing well in korean charts even before they blew up overseas. Other than bts none of the biggest idol songs in korea this year did that well internationally, just ok for kpop standards

• I think you’re the one who is caught up in your story, as a coping mechanism :p

That’s ok. I know that one day you will stan BTS and when you do, all of your anxiety and stress about who is better than BTS will magically go away

I stan them for things they do right.

BWL and Mic Drop and Magic Shop for example.

Or their onstage performances.

Or for making history in the Hot 100.

But i will call them out for when they mess up.

Idol and Dyna being the two biggest examples. <X<X

• The premise of this analysis is flawed.

All cultures have their own local favorites and then few foreign favourites - currently, BTS is the most favoured foreign artists. Similarly S.Koreans too have their own favourites - BTS among them and foreign favourites like Beiber.

And yes even S.Koreans, who don't listen to BTS/idol music, still would be proud of BTS's fame in other countries. That is only natural among compatriots.

Why is it necessary that S.Koreans must entirely favour BTS over and above artists? For the sake of some fictional conquest?

No foreigner is going to stop listening to BTS because they are not the topmost in S.Korea And no foreigner is going to listen to IU or LYW, because they are the top ranked in S.Korea.

Tastes do not work that way. At best it is a promotional point.

There is no dissonance in it.

Even if S.Koreans ignore all others and rise BTS above all, it is no guarantee that Kpop will continue to succeed and expand in the world.

Cases like KARD have proven that home popularity is not a necessary condition.

So this supposed 'dissonance' has no relevance whatsoever for the future of Kpop - success or failure.

• some old dawgs don't want to learn new tricks - very wise old dog | Meme  Generator

That looks like me, put some glasses on him though lol. But geez, all i said in response to OP's point was that BTS is supported for their achievements, Korean national pride thing, not necessarily for their music itself. Then someone came for my girl groups bragging that BTS was mudstomping them when the actual facts dont support this treacherous lie X(.

• i see, make sense.. traditional music will always resonate more to the gp than kpop

Which is a big issue.

As late as 2010 KPop dominated, and the last singer, very last, who followed the traditional type of music was - IU.

Her victories since then changed the picture significantly which is why I have been writing about her since 2012

• That looks like me, put some glasses on him though lol. But geez, all i said in response to OP's point was that BTS is supported for their achievements, Korean national pride thing, not necessarily for their music itself. Then someone came for my girl groups bragging that BTS was mudstomping them when the actual facts dont support this treacherous lie X(.

I responded to your android comment for a reason though :wink:

• This thread contains 65 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!