Idle got absolutely robbed

• Fuck this shit, we knew they are gonna robbed cause they don't have any mega corporation behind them, so I am disappointed and not surprised.

Before anyone comes at me arguing about charts, listen, if Longevity is the only metric that matter then we could as well give Daesang to Lim Young Woong and be done with it. Yes, longevity matters, but so does the explosive start. Obviously if your song is literally everywhere in the first two month, then the pool of potential new listeners is smaller.

We have the karaoke charts, we have the surveys, we have the explosive reaction during the festivals, yet yall are gonna talk to me about who was more stable on declining Melon.

• if you are talking about SOTY

then I agree

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• What award did they get? Bonsang?

yeah they've got Bonsang

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I was more annoyed with IDLE being denied Artist of the Year, or even Album of the Year. Something like that. For Song of the Year, I get it, LOVE DIVE was humongous. But if we take the entire body of work into account, then IDLE definitely deserved something.

Of course the criteria are the way they are, they were known beforehand so there's not much to argue about ultimately. I just wish awards were less based on charts and votes and a little more on judges and other things that can't be measured really. Like, how IDLE had this crazy successful year right after a controversy-fueled hiatus that left them in limbo for more than a year. How they released not one but two successful albums made entirely of self made songs. How they had a world tour in between these two albums with basically no breaks. How they achieved all this by fighting their company itself (as Soyeon said in an interview, everytime she comes up with a new concept, the management is always opposed to it at first).

All these things should be taken into account. Not just raw, boring numbers imo.

• All these things should be taken into account. Not just raw, boring numbers imo.

If they do that you can almost remove all the prices from the BIG4 groups. So it will never happen.

Anyway you should not take its awards seriously, they do not reward artists but popularity. Like someone said about Mama :

This is a year-end fishing for pushovers. Bait. Touts snatching them without a hook.

My record, skill is always (seen) as a lie,

I'm so sorry but I love you. I just f**k it, it's a quickie.It's been a year, MAMA. Because you set such a large table/awards (sang), You hand it out generously so your children don't fight.

I'm all grown up now so I get full from even watching,

Just feed the younger ones.

:check-bee:

• I was more annoyed with IDLE being denied Artist of the Year, or even Album of the Year. Something like that. For Song of the Year, I get it, LOVE DIVE was humongous. But if we take the entire body of work into account, then IDLE definitely deserved something.

Of course the criteria are the way they are, they were known beforehand so there's not much to argue about ultimately. I just wish awards were less based on charts and votes and a little more on judges and other things that can't be measured really. Like, how IDLE had this crazy successful year right after a controversy-fueled hiatus that left them in limbo for more than a year. How they released not one but two successful albums made entirely of self made songs. How they had a world tour in between these two albums with basically no breaks. How they achieved all this by fighting their company itself (as Soyeon said in an interview, everytime she comes up with a new concept, the management is always opposed to it at first).

All these things should be taken into account. Not just raw, boring numbers imo.

You think if it was 50% judges they would have won even worse. They would’ve been snubbed even more.

• I don’t know why y’all are coming for IVE when Gidle got robbed for RECORD OF THE year since both LD and tomboy were both strong contenders they would have done like last year and give soty to butter and roty to aespa.

Anyway let’s hope acting LD was a sleeper hit it was a MEGA hit since day one, it just had a better longevity.

Kids, celebs,idols it’s playing on karaokes everyone and their mama are loving the song it has as much impact as tomboy.

I totally agree, they could at least give a daesang for Artist of the year. It would have been fair for them to give it to Soty for sure.

With raw numbers judges already give negative points to less popular/connected artists, imagine 100% judges.

• Anyway you should not take its awards seriously, they do not reward artists but popularity.

I expect a mix of both: popularity and expert insight.

You think if it was 50% judges they would have won even worse. They would’ve been snubbed even more.

Not necessarily. Last year Melon released a Top 100 Kpop Masterpieces of all time, made in collaboration with 35 music critics & professionals. And in that list, (G)I-DLE didn't get snobbed at all. There were only two 4th gen songs which managed to break into the first half of the list: IZ*ONE Fiesta (#48) and I-DLE Lion (#49).

• I don’t know why y’all are coming for IVE when Gidle got robbed for RECORD OF THE year since both LD and tomboy were both strong contenders they would have done like last year and give soty to butter and roty to aespa.

I don't think Record of the Year awards an specific song only. In 2018 Wanna One won and they didn't have a big hit, for example. Seems more like a honor award for the act's achivements through the eligible period, being It's judges based, so I don't think It can be "robbed".

Btw, I don't think SOTY was robbed too, Tomboy and Love Dive were fairly equal.

• I actually don’t think so because it was a very competitive year. And overall IVE feel much more impactful than Gidle. I would actually put Gidle third in terms of impact behind both IVE and New Jeans who imo had the more impactful songs releases this year.

I know many will say they’re not winning because they’re getting robbed or don’t have big companies but imo they are only in 3rd place anyway.

there's kma for all that

i can see they got a nom in 2020

External Content twitter.com

maybe they will get a nom/win this year

• I don't think Record of the Year awards an specific song only. In 2018 Wanna One won and they didn't have a big hit, for example. Seems more like a honor award for the act's achivements through the eligible period, being It's judges based, so I don't think It can be "robbed".

Btw, I don't think SOTY was robbed too, Tomboy and Love Dive were fairly equal.

There was no need to give the trot guy the Album of the Year thing. He should have been happy that he was invited there.

IT just proved Melon is a personal play thing of Lee Jieun.

• LYW not winning Artist of the Year would have been very controversial, he had quite a substantial lead after the voting. I also feel like IDLE deserved a daesang this year but I don't see which one it could have been except for record of the year or SOTY. It's not like anyone can complain about Love Dive winning SOTY since it's #1 on the annual chart even after releasing a month later AND it did quite well in the voting too.

Idle will be winning daesangs on other shows where the criteria are more favorable, for example Genie Music Awards. MMA is one of the more numbers-based awards shows and I don't recall that many cases where judges did some kind of crazy overturning after the chart performance + voting. Like 90% of the awards tonight went to whoever had the leading score before judge points.

I'll certainly take this over shows that just sell the awards to SM any day.

• There was no need to give the trot guy the Album of the Year thing. He should have been happy that he was invited there.

IT just proved Melon is a personal play thing of Lee Jieun.

Try snubbing LYW from album of the year and it would cause even more uproar from his fans and could potentially be a target to the public like what LSF got with Music Bank win.

Idle has 50/50 chance with IVE as Love dive and Tomboy number are almost equal. So it can go both ways

ROTY is all about 100% judge so it’s up to them who they want to give. (And they decide to choose BTS)

MMA is pretty fair in recent years and I don’t think you can even argue that any awards are rigged at all.

• LYW not winning Artist of the Year would have been very controversial, he had quite a substantial lead after the voting. I also feel like IDLE deserved a daesang this year but I don't see which one it could have been except for record of the year or SOTY. It's not like anyone can complain about Love Dive winning SOTY since it's #1 on the annual chart even after releasing a month later AND it did quite well in the voting too.

Idle will be winning daesangs on other shows where the criteria are more favorable, for example Genie Music Awards. MMA is one of the more numbers-based awards shows and I don't recall that many cases where judges did some kind of crazy overturning after the chart performance + voting. Like 90% of the awards tonight went to whoever had the leading score before judge points.

I'll certainly take this over shows that just sell the awards to SM any day.

Perhaps Melon Music Awards remembered giving a Grand Prize to Beast (now HIghlight) and had second thoughts about giving another to a Cube act.

But, that aside, only older K-O-R-E-A-N-S would have balked if LYW had been robbed, and they are completely irrelevant as far as KPop is concerned.

No one takes awards like Genie seriously. Only MAMA, Golden Disk and (to a lesser degree) Melon are relevant, the rest being just attendance awards.

• It was a 50-50 chance so I am not surprised love dive won, it's a good song, better longevity, and it's a digital monster.

BTS winning isn't a surprise, I mean, they're BTS.

I think they might win something at the other award shows. Either way, their achievements speak for themselves. In the end, success is not determined by these awards.

• Ive didn't robe anyone they have had consistent release since day one and each one of their releases manage to stay for a very long time on charts and they are just a year old group which is even more impressive, love dive had a lot of impact just like tomboy and it was fair game and even Newjeans could've been contender for song of the year if their songs where released earlier

• No one was robbed. Love Dive is the #1 song of the year. LWY is the artist with most weeks and songs in Melon this year, so AOTY and ArOTY secured. ROTY, which was first introduced to honor an artists contribution/impact with WannaOne in 2018, BTS in 2019, no one in 2020, Aespa in 2021 and BTS in 2022.

That category can never have anyone being rigged or robbed in.

IDC about any one else but being a 5x Grammy nominee will far outweigh whatever domestic achievement kpop acts ever achieve. And besides all the billions of dollars and achievements BTS brings to SK, it's not like they are flopping domestically either. They have 5 songs still charting in Melon's TOP 100 and 7 songs in Melon's TOP 200. The only idol group this year to do so. And outside of Melon they have 2B circle/gaon digital points, again the most relevant group in terms of digitals this year. And anyone thinking Hybe would need to rig an award BTS didn't even attend is laughable. But kpop stans are ridiculous anyway.

• How can someone be robbed when it was all a tight race based primarily on visible metrics?

Idle were unlucky but not robbed.

I find it interesting seeing people say they prefer having a larger judge's percentage, because when people do win on a larger judge percentage then people complain about those awards being fake or bought as if judges might not just have different opinions or preferences. :pepe-shrug: Just like I see people complaining about awards being attendance awards then turning around and complaining when their faves don't win (I thought they didn't matter?)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• This thread contains 36 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!