Does Love Dive actually deserve SOTY honors?

• Everyone thinks it's a foregone conclusion that it will win some or even all SOTY honors but should it?

It's peak ULs on Melon was only 470k or something like that. That's a lot less than Tomboy which hit 550k and even now Pink Venom, which everyone considers a flop but is still doing 490k ULs at this time. And you can't say that all UL counts were down when Love Dive released because Still Life, Tomboy and That That all hit over 500k easily around the same time (Mar-May).

So is Love Dive overrated by Kpop fans? Did it not actually have the full GP support that a song like After Like has gotten (over 600k UL compared to only 470k), or Pink Venom, or even <X Attendant <X?

Personally i would prefer that After Like get all the SOTY honors, it's definitely a better song.

• It’s not clear if it’ll ein SOTY. Tomboy might have too big of a headstart and LD might not be able to close the gap until the tracking period finishes.

I say we should just wait and see. It’s more exciting if we watch award shows without any predictions

• I mean the award title itself should be considered right. Song of the year aka performance of the song through the year. Stayed longest in the top 10. About to surpass tomboy in points if it keeps up like this. While the high peak songs have fallen below it.

• If going purely by UL peaks then SOTY should go to Still Life.

But that's not the only metric, is it?

I won't call it a 'foregone conclusion', but at this point Love Dive is a strong contender for SOTY, and very possibly will be upstaged by "After Like" depending of how well it stays on with longevity.

I don't think any Dive will complain if AL gets it or LD.

Personally I prefer Eleven then After Like and then Love Dive, but personal preferences are irrelevant.

Let's wait for the data forecasters to present probabilities.. September is early for them to predict.

And it is better to wait till IU's concert, before closing the door on 2022 entries..

• I don't mind if Love Dive wins; it's good, catchy, and have numbers. :cheer-bunny:

But this remains as my personal SOTY, superb production: :pepelove1:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think the thing is Love Dive is gonna tank in jury votes, for the awards that have it.

Korean Juries are never bullish on foreign composed songs. There are exceptions, but if there's korean-composed competition they generally look far more favorably on that.

• I think the thing is Love Dive is gonna tank in jury votes, for the awards that have it.

Korean Juries are never bullish on foreign composed songs. There are exceptions, but if there's korean-composed competition they generally look far more favorably on that.

That maybe one of the factors, but Dynamite, Celebrity - many awarded songs of recent years have foreign composers involved, with a Korean presence, nowadays it is industrial processing of songs with multiple hands in it.

So rather difficult to really put a "nationality" on the song production.

It may not be a significant factor. Rather there might resistance to award a rookie SOTY, when was the last time it happened - Miss A, who else?

• I don't mind if Love Dive wins; it's good, catchy, and have numbers. :cheer-bunny:

But this remains as my personal SOTY, superb production: :pepelove1:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Her title tracks are indeed a work of art.

:pepelove1:

• If it outsells and outdoes tomboy why not? Looking at how it's moving it'll most probably get #1 on Circle yec.

Peak means nothing if u can't hold it up long term.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• Year ain't over yet...

Yes, they should give all relevant awards to IVE

Did you know you can get your first badge for free here?

• Year ain't over yet...

Yup and here is one potential storm brewing .

Naver article(?)

As it is a meaningful occasion for IU to reunite with the audience for the first time in a long time, it will provide an unforgettable stage with a special composition that can only be seen at this concert.

~~~

If that's a new song, then the xOTY race will change again.

• That maybe one of the factors, but Dynamite, Celebrity - many awarded songs of recent years have foreign composers involved, with a Korean presence, nowadays it is industrial processing of songs with multiple hands in it.

So rather difficult to really put a "nationality" on the song production.

It may not be a significant factor. Rather there might resistance to award a rookie SOTY, when was the last time it happened - Miss A, who else?

Well Dynamite is definitely an exception, considering it's billboard #1.

And my understanding is, despite foreign involvement, IU and Jhun did the heavy lifting for celebrity. Love Dive and Eleven are both primarily foreign composed songs, bought and then tweaked for IVE. Whereas some of the competition - Tomboy, LYW's song, Still Life - even Attention, are very much homegrown.

I think there's a level of foreign involvement they accept, but there's also a fiercely parochial element amongst jury votes.

Not saying IVE can't or won't win. But I feel this level of expectation about Love Dive doesn't understand the minutiae of domestic Korean market and critics.

• Peak means nothing if u can't hold it up long term.

Tomboy's held up massively well long term. It's not like it was a flash in the pan either. A close call to the #1 on Gaon doesn't mean it's a slam dunk for IVE - Tomboy's expected number 2 for a march release is crazy difficult to achieve.

• Tomboy's held up massively well long term. It's not like it was a flash in the pan either. A close call to the #1 on Gaon doesn't mean it's a slam dunk for IVE - Tomboy's expected number 2 for a march release is crazy difficult to achieve.

It was a general statement. I mean the first two months of the year was extremely weak a reason both Ive and gidle are even aiming for a #1 on Circle yec.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• I want Tomboy to get it because that's a much bigger step for girl groups. Plus Tomboy is actually interesting, not just another trendy pop song.

• I say give it to Keppler

They deserve something for being associated to that vile company

Might as well be the ones to benefit from Mnet's primary business purpose of Rigging

• Love Dive is still 5 on melon, LD last week has more than 7 mil points gap weekly to Tomboy, it will likely surpass by the end of the year or come close

Both songs are gonna end in top 3 yearly and frankly whoever wins is gonna deserved

• a nomination then Yes! I still think Still Life and Tomboy are way ahead

Still Life is not even a competition, big peak but the song didn't had some good longevity, Love Dive and Still Life were released in same day, Love Dive is 5 on melon right now and Still Life is 37

Year ain't over yet...

Did you know you can get your first badge for free here?

Year is over for SOTY, no post august songs has enough time to catch the sales, no matter how big the song was, even for august/july you need some huge ass Dynamite/Gangnam Style to win SOTY

• This thread contains 21 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!