Is Irene's career not gonna progress anymore?

• I feel like after her scandal (which was about a year and a half ago now), she hasn't really done any major individual activities. She used to be one of the top and most popular female idols, but now I feel like all of her activities are pretty much just linked to Red Velvet. Did the scandal permanently ruin her career or something?? Like it was a really long time ago but she still hasn't seemed to rebound from it. Other idols have had really major scandals and have come back with their careers just fine, but for Irene it seems like it'll never be like it used to for her.. What do y'all think?

• Irene's 30 now. She's content with being a Queen in a Queendom. What do you want her to do? Bungee jumping? :S

Not a bad idea ...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Irene's 30 now. She's content with being a Queen in a Queendom. What do you want her to do? Bungee jumping? :S

Lol no (this isn't a hate post or anything directed at her if you think that's where I'm coming from btw). I just feel like her career is in a different place now than it was before the scandal, and also that she used to be alot more active back then. It just doesn't feel the same to me, and it seems like it'll never be how it used to. Maybe that's just how it will be from now on idk...

• Lol no (this isn't a hate post or anything directed at her if you think that's where I'm coming from btw). I just feel like her career is in a different place now than it was before the scandal, and also that she used to be alot more active back then. It just doesn't feel the same to me, and it seems like it'll never be how it used to. Maybe that's just how it will be from now on idk...

Well, I can only speak for myself, obviously. And to that extent, she's still my Superstar :borahae:

• She had a magazine photoshoot before this RV cmb but realistically, considering the situation she was involved, her having solos activities to the level she had before the scandal will take a longer time or people will just look for other girls that bring them less trouble

• The problem is the supposed audio at the center of the controversy. I think any brand or major project (drama, etc) will be hesitant to sign her if there's even a small risk of that audio file somehow surfacing again. With time I could see the situation improving for solo activities but since Irene is on the older side for an idol and I'm not sure how active Red Velvet plans to continue as a group, I don't know if waiting it out will work. The best case scenario for Irene would be to get signed onto an acting project within the next year that ends up as a commercial success.

• her entire career was about her face so its not hard to see why companies would drop her so fast

i mean, i do feel bad for her but she had it coming

if it was a child or teenager atleast people could've said she's young and immature she can change

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Is she still doing cfs and stuff? If so then that’s not much of a change, her main selling point was her looks and that's it. Maybe a dip in the number of products she endorses. But if it’s a noticeable decrease then yeah, her career might not see the same highs again especially with newer and younger idols rising in prominence.

However everything else like acting, tv shows, solo music etc so stuff that she didn’t really do much off in the first place unless it was with RV. So while she might be affected from getting future work in those areas it’s not like she was in demand for those roles pre scandal

• her popularity was all about her face, it was a given that a big scandal like this would affect her, she would passed easier if she was more known about her talent than her face.

I don't see her recovering pre scandal unless she get a main acting role in a big drama, i guess time will tell, she's lucky she has RV which is still a fairy active group.

• could you provide examples please?

Regarding Irene, the scandal affected her a lot. But we need to wait and see what will happen in 3 years, cause people tend to forget and she can return to acting, CFs or any other activity she wants.

From what I remember TOP had that weed scandal, Nichkhun had the DUI, Hyunjin had the bullying scandal, Tiffany had the rising sun flag scandal, Block B as a whole had that really rude Thai interview.. There are definitely more, but these are all I could think of off the top of my head right now. You could be right that it could just be a matter of time, but it's already been a year and a half and she still seems to be laying low so idk..

• is she still an ambassador of any brand?

or did she ever do another magazine pictorial since then?

Yes her last magazine shoot was for esquire January 2022 issue

i think SM just prefer to continue to play it safe with her by giving her some promotion but more rarely for people to get use to her again and moved on from the controversy slowly

Red Velvet Irene for Esquire Magazine January 2022 Issue (Scans) | Kpopping

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• I feel like after her scandal (which was about a year and a half ago now), she hasn't really done any major individual activities. She used to be one of the top and most popular female idols, but now I feel like all of her activities are pretty much just linked to Red Velvet. Did the scandal permanently ruin her career or something?? Like it was a really long time ago but she still hasn't seemed to rebound from it. Other idols have had really major scandals and have come back with their careers just fine, but for Irene it seems like it'll never be like it used to for her.. What do y'all think?

Obviously she's taking her time but she'll be ok. And, I think it's a SM thing for idols to get breaks when involved in scandals. For example Nct Lucas is nowhere to be seen, one might think that he's dead, TVXQ Yunho is definitely on break with solo activities I think since his scandal, Suju Siwon had a break too, Sulli too etc.

Honestly, I think it's more about her mental health and taking slow than just going back to work since it's no longer a problem especially after what happened to Tiffany who ended up leaving SM and Sulli who lost her life. It's not easy to be in a situation where you get so much hate from people who don't even know what happened and for your accuser to involve your group and subunit members in her revenge. It was like she'd end all of Red Velvet after what Irene had done.

It can be so hurtful and intimidating. Irene is so strong.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• She's got THE face. She'll be up there again once she's ready to.

• I mean she used to be HUGE, like the top idol of the 3rd gen, so it’s hard to return to that kind of status. She’s slowly getting more pictorials and I’m sure if she wants to, she can slowly start doing brand deals as well. However, It’s obvious that red velvet activities are her priorities now.

I think she's trying to avoid attracting such negative energy again because probably she's still healing. I see her doing so well again in future.

• Honestly, she barely faced repercussions for the whole thing. Fans defended her blindly throughout, even attacking the poor woman who she made cry. They were going on about how unfair it was she might lose her job, even though it was her shitty behaviour that got her exposed. Of course that didn't happen.

Maybe she isn't getting as many opportunities when it comes to photoshoots etc. But that's normal if she has a bad reputation. Generally the scandal hit her less hard than lesser scandals hit others.

• Obviously she's taking her time but she'll be ok. And, I think it's a SM thing for idols to get breaks when involved in scandals. For example Nct Lucas is nowhere to be seen, one might think that he's dead, TVXQ Yunho is definitely on break with solo activities I think since his scandal, Suju Siwon had a break too, Sulli too etc.

Honestly, I think it's more about her mental health and taking slow than just going back to work since it's no longer a problem especially after what happened to Tiffany who ended up leaving SM and Sulli who lost her life. It's not easy to be in a situation where you get so much hate from people who don't even know what happened and for your accuser to involve your group and subunit members in her revenge. It was like she'd end all of Red Velvet after what Irene had done.

It can be so hurtful and intimidating. Irene is so strong.

How on earth are you bringing up poor Sulli when she got constantly attacked for doing nothing wrong? It's beyond crass to try and relate Irene to her.

Irene is a grown woman who through her weight around and treated someone so badly they cried. Don't try and paint her as a victim FFS.

• Idk about Irene, but if I were in her shoes I'd be uncomfortable with getting lots of CF deals and stuff again, even after a year. It would take a little more time. The whole industry and probably a good chunk of the GP has at least heard about what happened (or didn't happen, depends on how much of either side is true), so I can only imagine how humiliating that might be.

I'm just happy that she's still promoting with Red Velvet and Red Velvet is back in full force. This is probably the best case scenario right now for both her, the rest of the group and the fans.

• From what I remember TOP had that weed scandal, Nichkhun had the DUI, Hyunjin had the bullying scandal, Tiffany had the rising sun flag scandal, Block B as a whole had that really rude Thai interview.. There are definitely more, but these are all I could think of off the top of my head right now. You could be right that it could just be a matter of time, but it's already been a year and a half and she still seems to be laying low so idk..

idk about the others but Tiffany couldn't even promote regularly in Korea until around like last year when she had her musical, GP999 gig, & now she will make her acting debut soon. Before that she was mostly releasing stuff in English & mostly promoting in America. Even now she's still kind of struggling to get back into the good graces of the GP because of a scandal that happened nearly SIX years ago.

With some of these scandals you can't expect these idols careers to magically return to how it was pre-scandal like poof poof abracadabra. And we all know male idols have it easier compared to female idols(esp when you're someone Irene's age) so it makes no sense to compare with some of the idols you listed.

• Real talk but are some of ya'all really trying to garner sympathy for a rich diva?? Like I know there's probably a ton of people in the entertainment business that have diva syndrome behind-the-scenes so she doesn't bother me that much. But going "Oh boo hoo. Rich bossy girl isn't getting any richer"? Pleeeaaase. Anyways she'll be fine. She's really lucky that the recording never went public.

• Real talk but are some of ya'all really trying to garner sympathy for a rich diva?? Like I know there's probably a ton of people in the entertainment business that have diva syndrome behind-the-scenes so she doesn't bother me that much. But going "Oh boo hoo. Rich bossy girl isn't getting any richer"? Pleeeaaase. Anyways she'll be fine. She's really lucky that the recording never went public.

For me it's not about garnering sympathy, it's more about just wondering if her solo career is going to be essentially put to a halt from this point forward. I don't really care if she makes money or not, I'm sure she has a shit ton and I'm not crying if she's not making anymore (and she still obviously makes some from RV promotions anyway). It just seems to me that her scandal permanently impacted her career and other scandals for other idols (that may arguably be worse) didn't. Like people were pointing out to me, it could just be a matter of time though, and I guess I thought a year and a half was a long time but maybe every situation is different.

• How on earth are you bringing up poor Sulli when she got constantly attacked for doing nothing wrong? It's beyond crass to try and relate Irene to her.

Irene is a grown woman who through her weight around and treated someone so badly they cried. Don't try and paint her as a victim FFS.

Are you saying that Sulli never had a scandal? Yes she never did anything wrong and was never accused of doing anything like Irene but she was revealed to have been 1. dating 2. dating a much older guy and 3. not wearing a bra which got her tons of hate. Irene was getting hated on too before her scandal.

I was talking scandals in general or at least what Korea considers as scandals.

• Are you saying that Sulli never had a scandal? Yes she never did anything wrong and was never accused of doing anything like Irene but she was revealed to have been 1. dating 2. dating a much older guy and 3. not wearing a bra which got her tons of hate. Irene was getting hated on too before her scandal.

I was talking scandals in general or at least what Korea considers as scandals.

She never did anything wrong. Her scandals were misogynistic nonsense. Irene acted horribly towards people. Comparing them makes no sense.

• She never did anything wrong. Her scandals were misogynistic nonsense. Irene acted horribly towards people. Comparing them makes no sense.

In Korea and for Koreans, both had scandals. In fact, for everything that's different from the Korean culture that Sulli did, e.g. not wearing a bra, dating an older man etc, was considered scandalous and she got so much hate for it all, multiple times.

And you are missing the point in my post, I did not compare their scandals (as in what they allegedly did wrong) but what followed after those scandals happened. Both took a break.

• From what I remember TOP had that weed scandal, Nichkhun had the DUI, Hyunjin had the bullying scandal, Tiffany had the rising sun flag scandal, Block B as a whole had that really rude Thai interview.. There are definitely more, but these are all I could think of off the top of my head right now. You could be right that it could just be a matter of time, but it's already been a year and a half and she still seems to be laying low so idk..

I don't think any of your examples had as much solo gigs as Irene, specially not in Korea

So it's hard to make a comparison

External Content www.youtube.com

• This thread contains 26 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!