I honestly want lip-sync on all music shows banned for good

• If that means my bias will have to be forced to sing crap live I would gladly take it.

oh but autumnleaf what about damaging your bias vocal cords don't you care about that?

bloodly hell they are singers, they choose that career for themselves. and no they don't sing that often anyway for a comeback

even if they comeback on 5 music shows they will only be singing 20 times max for the whole week, that's assuming they do 3 to 4 rehearsals on each music shows

so what that's like only 80 minutes of singing for the entire week for a 4 minute song

not to mention groups with more members divide the singing anyways and some members don't even get much lines anyway

so no their vocal cords will be fine

oh but autumnleaf sometimes it's too hard to sing and do the choreo at the same time

then why do hard choreo on a song?

what are they? a dance crew?

maybe they should've thought about the intensity of the choreo that will affect live singing and make adjustments from the very beginning so that there is balance between the two, have they not thought about that?

oh but autumnleaf music show is all about the performance and a perfect stage

if lip-sync is the way to having a perfect stage then my god Kpop has fallen to new lows

all these upgraded stages, lighting , extravagant props and visual effects on music shows will mean nothing if the viewer only end up talking about lip sync and nothing else.

autumnleaf just go outside and touch grass, you obviously don't know shit about Kpop just shut up.

end post/

• maybe they should've thought about the intensity of the choreo that will affect live singing and make adjustments from the very beginning so that there is balance between the two, have they not thought about that?

I'm just saying, this analogy is like telling your boss that you cannot do the project properly because the project is too hard for you.

This kind of shit won't fly in the real world but apparently it's OK in KPOP

:pepe-notes::pepe-notes:

• I share the same sentiment as you. I want way more live singing in K-Pop. We can't have just one or two groups do all the work (if that many groups even still sing live). Have a great day/night!

• Wholeheartedly agree, I prefer less complicated dances and hear idols sing live.

In the end they're singers, not a dance crew.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm honestly hating SM so much the fact that even TAEYEON (VOCAL KING) is lipsyncing makes me want to scream!

at least she's doing Killin' Voice :!:  :borahae:<3

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I mean, the major implication of everyone singing live is that a lot more time would be spent in-between acts tuning the audio balance for each group. Which in turn means lesser groups can perform in the same day and/or longer working hours. It was still okay in the 2nd gen because there were lesser groups overall. But now in a crowded industry, if your bias isn't from a large or mid-tier company, it's going to be even more difficult for them to secure a slot to perform. (Demand and supply essentially raising the prices, since time is now more scarce).

So, tradeoffs. The rich get richer with more exposure, the poor get poorer.

• I mean, the major implication of everyone singing live is that a lot more time would be spent in-between acts tuning the audio balance for each group. Which in turn means lesser groups can perform in the same day and/or longer working hours. It was still okay in the 2nd gen because there were lesser groups overall. But now in a crowded industry, if your bias isn't from a large or mid-tier company, it's going to be even more difficult for them to secure a slot to perform. (Demand and supply essentially raising the prices, since time is now more scarce).

So, tradeoffs. The rich get richer with more exposure, the poor get poorer.

Not sure how much this matters. A lot of groups have very precise requests how their performances are supposed to be filmed and they manage to make that work.

Saying it takes too much time to check the audio as an explanation to why live singing is so uncommon seems very farfetched.

• Agreed.

No matter how much I think of it it doesn’t make sense how the same groups that used to sing perfectly live with no editing or breaks don’t do it now.

It’s all from the direction side. They just seem to believe that visuals are the only things that matter in the performance and they gave up live singing to accommodate the different camera shootings that in their eyes is far more important. It’s crazy that in every performance they put so much importance into looks but never care about the obvious lip-sync. It’s sad that they don’t feel like changing that. I wish fans made a protest or something like they do when a male idol dates.

lt64IYu.gif

• “They’re singers” Guys…. They’re idols. Singing + dancing is part of their occupation

Honestly if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. A lot of them can get overly tired as it is, and making them sing live EVERY time isn’t actually necessary, it’s either for fandoms to brag about their faves live singing or bash other groups live singing that they don’t like

Jpop idols do it cuz they got like 1 music show. I will say a specific 1-2 music shows for Kpop idols singing live could be nice

But naw not them all, idols health & well being >>>> fans bragging rights towards their live voices

Edit: Also totally different culture. Just cuz it’s bad in the west doesn’t mean eastern celebrities should be forced into it

• Would be nice if all performances were live.

But the reason that choreo, performances and dancing in 3rd and 4th gen are more highly regarded than in 2nd gen, is because if live singing isn't required and loud backtrack and/or lipsyncing is sufficient, more focus can be and has been put on more intense dance performances, since there's no need to pay attention to stamina management and vocal stability, as was more required in 2nd gen times.

Choreo will have to be readjusted to enable frequent live singing in a number of cases - and I guess that training and preparation will have to take things like breath control, vocal stability while dancing etc into account again.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Glad I have no problem with my faves. This has been an issue for kpop for years now. Sad that even on award shows and music shows with one to maximum 3 performances for most groups they still have to lipsync or even do live AR. And the fans always excuse this as it is the "norm" or a way for their faves to rest and preserve their vocal cords lol. That is their job and these shows are a chance to showcase all that they have trained and worked hard for - not to just show off the dancing or the poses or the "attitude". But eh, whatever. I don't think this will change much anytime soon. Goodluck OP!

Also lol speakin of 2nd gen, I've attended some of those groups' concerts and they were lipsycing there too.

• I had this same thoughts when I watched this below yesterday.

THIS is better than watching hard and impressive choreos.

Even the backing vocals are LIVE!

External Content youtu.be

• I don't think this will change much anytime soon. Goodluck OP!

Also lol speakin of 2nd gen, I've attended some of those groups' concerts and they were lipsycing there too.

Well, every single group has been caught using lipsync, LAR or loud backtrack from time to time.

It's also not a clean split, as if lipsyncing only started when 3rd gen started.

But there's no doubt that live performances like this, even with strong, stable vocals were far more common and the norm in 2nd gen times than the past years

External Content www.youtube.com

I agree, that it probably won't change back anytime soon. But we'll see.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• And people still bash 2nd gen stans for being nostalgic over this.

but we are for a reason.

Every era has its own strengths and things to remember or praise it for.

But I do kinda miss a number of things that I wish would return of 2nd gen times. Most of all I miss the variety and the cross-group interactions and collaborations that were so abundant in late '00s and early '10s.

SWJ1P.gif

• Don’t really care if those weekly music shows aren’t totally live…. they filter them for the tv broadcast anyways when they do sing live. What I do hate is a backtracking of a prerecorded “live” singing. With the fake breathing, fake air sounds, etc etc. At that point you should have just lipped….

Now for concerts? Those better be 100% live. If you ever attend a concert, you know good well it’s obvious when the singer isn’t singing live…. ruins the experience for me especially when I’m paying for tickets.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• yes, it's okay if idols were to hold off on doing super difficult choreos if it meant they would sing live. lip syncing does nothing for me, exactly why I'm not too keen on watching some performances. raw vocals just hit different

🤍

• Idols get up at 2AM to go on music shows. They spend the entire day there alternating between performing and just waiting around. Then they go home and do the same thing again, up to 5-6 times per week. If they were forced to sing live every time while doing the full on choreo, they wouldnt make it through the promotional period. Not to mention, it's physically impossible to hit some of these notes while dancing, unless you want to hear them screaming.

Maybe have idols do only max 3 days of music shows per week. And modify the choreo so when it's your turn to sing, you can break from it and just stand there and belt (rapping/talk rapping/sing rapping wouldnt need this modification).

• I think outright banning LS is a bit too much considering hectic schedules as they may not have the best voices every single recording. But LS should definitely be reduced or discouraged because these days it's the defacto standard, live singing rarer than gold. I even saw tweets online saying because freaking Taeyeon LS recently she is also the typical untalented SM idol. LS has really warped everyone's idea of singing and talent lol.

• Idols are not singers, Idols are not dancers - Idoling is a professional category by itself.

Which brings a package deal of singing, dancing, looks, acting, themes - like a mini-movie. But don't expect them to be the best in the components of the package. Or like triathlon athletes, who will not be the best swimmers, cyclists or sprinters, but put together better.

Even that many not be a good example, because the key to Idol-ing is an intangible "image", part personality, part marketing hype. Its primary focus is fan-service.

If you have cosmetics, plastic surgery, photoshop, lighting, filters etc. for looks. Autotune/lip-synch are for vocals. I don't get why one is acceptable and the other is not.

Even if performances can indicate whether they are using MR, AR, LiveMR, LiveAR (lip Synch), Autotune etc. ,Kpop is an industry providing escapist fare, keeping the fans deluded is necessary for suspension of disbelief.

Like how fans "choose to" believe all those oppas and girls are oh-so-pure and romantically innocent etc. That they are singing live even while doing active choreography, therefore my favourite is the greatest, is a very profitable delusion to sell.

So few people can keep asking for live vocals, but I don't think that is going to happen at all.

• Idk about banning it completely, I don't think I'll happen but there used to be a lot more live stages before, and I mean stages that were prepared and rehears as live stages, not just random encores. Now even stages where idols are just standing or sitting have backtrack and even some shows that are supposed to be live have autotuned or are edited. I agree that part of the fun in kpop are the dance performances but it's becoming more about just the dancing to the point where performances nowadays are just that, dance performances.

• I honestly thought I was crazy bc everyone here has 1000x reasons why their faves shouldn't sing live

• Idols get up at 2AM to go on music shows. They spend the entire day there alternating between performing and just waiting around. Then they go home and do the same thing again, up to 5-6 times per week. If they were forced to sing live every time while doing the full on choreo, they wouldnt make it through the promotional period. Not to mention, it's physically impossible to hit some of these notes while dancing, unless you want to hear them screaming.

Maybe have idols do only max 3 days of music shows per week. And modify the choreo so when it's your turn to sing, you can break from it and just stand there and belt (rapping/talk rapping/sing rapping wouldnt need this modification).

People forget these weekly music shows aren’t “live” and taped for hours….. between these music shows and taping for other variety shows, photoshoots, etc etc, I wouldn’t even be mad if they lipped most of the time (except for concerts as I stated before)…. even the best performers like Beyonce have a more ideal schedule that enables her to take proper breaks in between shows when she tours so her voice can recover.

Also many of these idols aren’t exactly trained proper vocal techniques to preserve their voice if they do have to do 100% live singing so yeah….

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• Even TVXQ is giving us lipsync performances now.

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!