Unpopular Opinion: Stop Using Encores As A Way To Measure An Idol's Skills

• I get it, they are always live. But you all are acting like they are some gift from heaven. I think we all remember the "Aespa can't sing" claims when they didn't post the entire encore.

And thankfully they did and we can refute those claims but this incident tells an important message. Kpop stans have gotten way too comfortable using encores as a way to measure an idol's skills and drag them. It is the new Mr Removed videos at this point.

Did an idol skip one line? CANCELLED! Did an idol go offkey once? CANCELLED Does the idol not sound exactly like the studio version? CANCELLED!

Like literally that is how it goes. And it is honestly so sad. We expect idol's to be perfect when lets admit it. They aren't, they make mistakes and that is the basic human nature. And don't use the "ITS THEIR JOB" excuse because I can use that same excuse to ask why you got an F on a test in school.

And unfortuently idol's seem to know about this now, and encores have pretty much turned into singing contests. Idol's aren't having fun during encore stages(the whole point of an encore stage btw).

Encores are supposed be those things that idol's don't take seriously, it is literally for fun. Nowadays idol's are more concentrated on whether they are singing correctly than celebrating winning a music show.

Let me show you guys a real encore(and one of my fav ones)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I get that we want to know how good an idol is at singing/rapping but please use something where they are actually SERIOUS about it.

For example a concert footage, most idols are actually seriously singing/rapping/dancing during concerts(sometimes they do fun things but you will most likely get a song where they are performing seriously). Concert footages are much better at deciding an idol's skills.

Basically, stop worshipping encores.

Thank you, for listening to my tedtalk.

• It’s because it’s hard to say if idols ever sing live and encore is one place to hear them live lol. If the encore and performance had no difference it wouldn’t be a thing. lol.

but I personally feel like encores shouldn't be a singing contest. Most idols don't take them seriously, I mean bts literally were putting lipstick on each other on one of their encores. They are meant to be fun.

I think that if we want to know about an idol's singing/rap skills we should be using concert footages.

If they are performing badly at concerts multiple times(and they aren't sick, hurt, etc) then you know for sure that they aren't good at something because most on concert footages they are peforming seriously and are very prepared.

If they don't do well after that then you know something is off.

• That’ll only change if the actual lives are less processed.

• I find it especially laughable when an idol is playing around and being silly and goofy and people are like "they're doing that to hide that they can't sing" or "they're not taking their job seriously, disgusting. cancelled"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• I find it especially laughable when an idol is playing around and being silly and goofy and people are like "they're doing that to hide that they can't sing" or "they're not taking their job seriously, disgusting. cancelled"

I know right, like they just enjoying themselves. Calm down.

• ArmyBlinkOnce0

Changed the title of the thread from “Unpopular Opinion: You All Need To Stop Using Encores As A Way To Measure An Idol's Skills” to “Unpopular Opinion: Stop Using Encores As A Way To Measure An Idol's Skills”.
  • I agree with the sentiment, but encores are the only places where idols are guaranteed to sing live with no pre-recorded vocals, so of course people are going to take that as a measure of an idol's skill.

It's also much better to judge an idol's vocal prowess when they're standing still rather than dancing around. Being stable is great, but that doesn't mean you're a good vocalist.

• Music show performances of recent times are almost 100% lip sync’d and edited heavily in post.

I know, hopefully it will start lessening once more audience starts coming in.

But still, most of the time it isn't even an idol's fault that they are lipsyncing.

Still, we have instances were they are obviously singing live other than encores, why can't we use those things as a measurement of skills?

• I think encores are the bare minimum effort wise, the idols are mostly standing still or moving lightly. Mistakes like voice cracks or missed notes when someone is goofing around are understandable but come on, if an idol can't sing a single line without messing up while standing still then there's definitely a problem.

And like Tic_tac_toe said, encores are a thing because they are the only televised occasion where we can be certain beyond any doubt that the idols are singing live. Before LAR and other miscellaneous practices became rampant in music shows, practically everyone used to sing live in the actual performances and no one cared about encores.

It's especially hilarious to me when the encores are extremely flawed but fans act like the actual performance was live when it sounds like a carbon copy of the studio recording (and every other music show performance. Hint : they are all lipsynched to the same recording). No one, literally not a single person can sound better while doing a strenuous choreography than when they're standing still in an encore.

• The encores haven't changed my opinion on who could sing or not but I also feel even not taking it that seriously u can still sound good if you're talented enough.

• I just have 0 motivation or reason to listen to other artists encore

but if someone is making a vocal comparison, they better be ready to compare encore qualities

cause

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Cause why not :shake-it:

• This became a thing because most idols are no longer singing live in music shows.

Saying that - I didn't need an encore stage to know that aespa could sing well so all the witch-hunting for an encore was unnecessary and motivated by envy in my opinion.

My shady hot take : If this new emphasis on encores shames companies into making sure they debut at least a couple of people who can sing competently - I am more than fine with it. The standards have been slipping wildly in kpop in my opinion - Having a group of 7-9 members with only 1 competent vocalist is disgraceful!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!