Why isn't Giselle as popular as the other aespa members?

• idk if it's just me but it feels like ever since debut Giselle has been getting the short end of the stick.

Like...not even her home country(Japan) stans for her. That's kinda sad.

Internationally, too, it feels like many people love Winter, Karina and Ningning but Giselle is probably last on people's lists when it comes to ranking their favorite members.

Why do you think this is? Is it because SM isn't utilizing her properly?

• She lost her momentum since the scandal.

She may the best rapper of the group but Karina isn’t far away from her in rapping also Karina has multi positions she is the best dancer, the face of the group she can sing well for a sub-vocalist and she got the visual.

Winter is an excellent vocalist she could pass as the main vocalist in kpop. People love her cold aura on stage.

Ningning is also an amazing vocalist and imo she is the more relatable member and the funniest I think she is the most favored member some people aren’t necessarily aespa fans but they love NN.

• Hate to say it because I love all of Aespa but she’s just boring on stage. I wouldn’t be surprised if SM coaches them to seem “cold” when performing and not show too much expression but it’s just not working for the group. Especially with Giselle I think she just lacks charisma even in her rapping parts where she could shine and that’s a big factor.

• Just guessing but I think because she is still not showing all that she got. She can sing but rarely shows it which IMO would've increased her popularity a lot. As long as she is not getting hated on or discriminated against, I think her popularity is good within the fandom. Whatever she drops will get hype so it's not like other members being more popular means she is ignored.

lt64IYu.gif

• in every group there is a least popular member for one reason or another

It's true but alot of the time they aren't that far apart in popularity. Like you could say Jisoo is the least popular member internationally but she actually has her fair share of fans and Jisoo-biased BLINKs aren't exactly rare. Literally NO ONE is checking for Giselle and I feel kinda bad for the good sis. Like I've never met a Giselle biased MY, even non-fans don't seem to care about her.

• She lacks charisma, she's the worst dancer of the group, she often seems awkward on stage and even in MVs and she has yet to have parts that make her shine and allow her to bring something new to the table that the other members don't.

• Just guessing but I think because she is still not showing all that she got. She can sing but rarely shows it which IMO would've increased her popularity a lot. As long as she is not getting hated on or discriminated against, I think her popularity is good within the fandom. Whatever she drops will get hype so it's not like other members being more popular means she is ignored.

True she is apart of successful group it’s better to be the least popular in a successful group than being the most popular in a flop group. So she is fine.

• I've noticed that Ningning and Winter are the most popular among non-fans.

• NingNing was the most famous SMRookie left so she already had a decent fanbase, plus she's the main vocal.

Winter went viral for being the ace and a gorgeous visual

Karina had predebut activities, had her "controversies" that got her sympathizers and SM has been pushing her the most

Giselle barely trained, wasn't a rookie so most people didn't know about her, her raps really aren't much, she doesn't really show much in the group and while she doesn't get the ugly outfits, sometimes I feel she could be styled better.

• It's true but alot of the time they aren't that far apart in popularity. Like you could say Jisoo is the least popular member internationally but she actually has her fair share of fans and Jisoo-biased BLINKs aren't exactly rare. Literally NO ONE is checking for Giselle and I feel kinda bad for the good sis. Like I've never met a Giselle biased MY, even non-fans don't seem to care about her.

I wouldn't say it's a lot of the time the gap is small... it's just more noticeable because aespa has fewer members.

Like NCT for instance... the gap between Taeil and Johnny might not seem that large, but the gap between Taeil and Taeyong or even Taeil and Yuta is quite noticeable.

There are literally people on this forum who bias Giselle though so idk why you're acting like she doesn't have any fans at all.

• she just really doesn't stand out is my personal reason why i don't really notice her. she's always got the long dark hair with karina/winter, but she's much less pushed than them so she fades in the background. she should try that long platinum hair from black mamba, i thought that was when she was head to head with the other members.

• giselle's popularity isn't nearly as bad as you're making out to be lmaoo. every group has a least popular member and that's normal

in her case, few are the reasons:

- two scandals in a very short time

- wasn't in smrookies like ningning

- hasn't gone viral like winter

- isn't visual and face of the group like karina (karina also had a scandal predebut which boosted her popularity a lot) plus she's the main dancer and for some reason main dancers always get tons of attention

- she hasn't shown the power of her vocals yet and her rap isn't exactly the best out there

but despite all those reasons, she's still insanely popular and i see many none fans talking about her on my tl.

• So far the others showed a bit more stage presence and charisma and all had some standout and viral moments. Doesn't mean her time isn't about to come! I think she's got what it takes. She has skills and looks and I wish I had her legs tbh. I think both Japan and Korea are her home countries. She was born in Korea and grew up in Japan and one of her parents is Japanese and the other Korean.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• It's true but alot of the time they aren't that far apart in popularity. Like you could say Jisoo is the least popular member internationally but she actually has her fair share of fans and Jisoo-biased BLINKs aren't exactly rare. Literally NO ONE is checking for Giselle and I feel kinda bad for the good sis. Like I've never met a Giselle biased MY, even non-fans don't seem to care about her.

Jisoo isn't a good example she is the second most popular in Korea, Japan and china and even in France she has a big impact there during fashion week. Rose and Jisoo instagram followers are about the same and now with snowdrop you can tell how bigger her individual fandom actually is (way more than people thought)

• she just really doesn't stand out is my personal reason why i don't really notice her. she's always got the long dark hair with karina/winter, but she's much less pushed than them so she fades in the background. she should try that long platinum hair from black mamba, i thought that was when she was head to head with the other members.

I don't think the hair is the reason tbh

• Honestly I just think she doesn’t offer that much.

And I’ve had this feeling long before Aespa blew up or when Giselle‘s scandal happened.

While watching BM stages I always had the desire to skip her part because she has absolutely no stage presence.

• She sings and raps well but the others stand out more, especially on stage. SM pushes karina and winter more and they're the best dancers and ningning is the best singer from aespa imo and has a different vibe from the other members which is why many non fans like her.

and also the scandal

and she's not my least favorite member btw but I think this is the reason

NewJeans é envolvido em nova polêmica com o MV de “OMG” | Revista KoreaIN

Edited 2 times, last by lialve ().

• @comments

seriously her expressionless parts in Savage changed the overall perception of her so much. I remember I said I disliked her expressions and energy since day 1 of savage performances. But I am sorry I am not going to pretend she wasn't killing it in BM. Whether it was dance or expressions, she was amazing. Whatever change that happened isn't her skills because she seems like a whole different person, but it was more of a choice (bad one but her skills are good)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

lt64IYu.gif

Edited 2 times, last by Yumeku ().

• I hate threads like this because you guys act like she is far behind the other members when she is in fact not! Sure, she may not be the most popular aespa member but she is still one of the most famous 4th gen idols.

1) She hasn't left top 6 brand reputation since Next Level dropped

2) She regularly gets 900k-1M likes on Instagram

3) Her twitter likes are the same as the other members

4) Many people bias her and she gets many weekly viral tweets about her.

5) The majority of aespa translators are Giselle biased so her fans contribute a lot to the fandom

6) She was the first member to have a viral pic on twitter and used to have the most liked post on aespa's instagram account

There is much more I can say but that would be time consuming

Also I think its a bit unfair to compare her with the other girls because:

1) Karina is the leader, fotg, was promoted before aespa was announced and had a predebut fandom

2) Ningning was in SM Rookies and had a predebut fandom

3) Winter is the visual and is Korean so obviously she had a big fandom secured

Then there is Giselle who we knew nothing about, she doesn't get that much lines, and doesn't get any promotions. Unfortunately, she is just unlucky cause all the other 3 members had a big advantage over her and there's nothing that could ever be done about it (unless SM starts to promote her and she does variety shows, etc like Joy).

But yeah she is a beautiful young woman, a talented young woman and one of the most popular 4th gen idols!

Also she always goes viral on the Japan side of TikTok and just the other day Japanese (non aespa stans) trended hashtags for her bc of the discrimination she faces.....it's clear that she is loved there.

(I would've written more but again, that would be time-consuming and sorry for writing a mini essay lol)

• she's not the prettiest member or the most talented. her best chance was to be famous among int fans as she is the only English speaker but her scandal ruined that.

• 1. SM doesn't let her shine, like her videos of her rapping to Hyoyeon second ( a 26second video) reached 1M in 2 days, but SM is restricting her skills, and it ends in her not shining as much than the other members, looks at their individual teaser pre-debut, Synk Giselle was one of the only video of Giselle who really show her showing her skillsand it's the most view Synk teaser because of this

2. SM doesn't style her as good than the other Girls, when they announce the collab with Givenchy i remember how they all post pictures with Givenchy clothes, and Giselle was the one trending in korea and internationally because everyone was going crazy how stunning giselle look with dark makeup and outfit

for people who don't know of which picture i'm talking it's this one

giselle pics (@gisellespics) / Twitter

and 3. Her personality doesn't shine , Giselle is a lot more carefree and easy going because she wasn't educated the asian way, and was hanging out more with western people in her teenage years, but know coming into kpop make her be more careful

and now with all the hate she receive with the controversy i can see that she's even more careful of what she do and say

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• also i think people had too high expectations before debut for her, and when she debuted and they didn't get what they wanted, a lot of people start being more interest in the other members

what i mean is that pre-debut Giselle and Karina were the most hype members when all of them was announce, karina for her visual and Giselle because everybody were hyping her as the ABG of Kpop, and saying how we'll finally have an ABG among a kpop GG and were hyping her a lot for this

but what a lot of people forget is that it's kpop, and company teach their idols how to behave and act so it was certain that what we would get, will not be the same thing that the giselle we saw with her friends or when she was a student

and a lot of people forget this, and when she didn't match their expectations, they no longer care about her

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• She never really apologised properly for using slurs. The things with idols is, even if you're not angry anymore at them, it doesn't make you like them again automatically, even if you used to like them. You will just carry on and not care about them any more.

• She never really apologised properly for using slurs. The things with idols is, even if you're not angry anymore at them, it doesn't make you like them again automatically, even if you used to like them. You will just carry on and not care about them any more.

Not to be that person who brings other idols into this but at least Giselle actually took accountability the next day unlike BTS, Blackpink, Twice, etc...

I don't get why she is constantly hated on every single day but these groups get shielded without ever apologizing..

• This thread contains 35 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!