Biggest korean artists of all time

• Korea did a top 20 in no order in 2013:

김광석/ 김민기/ 김완선 / 김현식/ 나훈아/남진/듀스/들국화/산울림/서태지와 아이들/ 송창식/ 신승훈/ 신중현 / 싸이/ 유재하/ 이문세/ 이미자/ 이효리/ 조용필 / H.O.T/

Mnet(엠넷)
    [Mnet Legend 100 - ICON Top 20] 각 분야의 우상 혹은 영웅을 가리키는 지칭어 ICON. 아이콘은 곧 Legend의 동의어라 할 수 있다. 단순히 대중적 인기도를 떠나 세대 통합과 새로운 음악 스타일 창조. 한국 대중음악사의 레전드가 된 아티스트가 곧 '시대의…
    www.facebook.com

Edited 2 times, last by 2techs ().

• Disagree about IU being below Psy. Her physical sales are rising and her international presence is only growing, not to mention her hit songs. Psy had a good run from 2012-14 internationally, but didn’t grow physically or on streaming platforms outside of his two biggest hits. I’m aware that domestically, he had several solo hits before and after Gangnam Style. But his sales peaked in 2002, a year after he debuted. IU just had her best seller nearly 13 years into her career.

EXO should be tied with BB. BB has YT, Exo has Spotify. EXO destroys physically, BB destroys digitally. Both have good strengths and members with successful solo careers as well.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Yeah, without SNSD, TXVQ, HOT, Super Junior, SES, Fin.Kl, 2NE1, Baby Vox and more, no 3rd and 4th gen groups would exist. And without ASTRO, StayC, TWICE, Blackpink, BTS, NCT, Loona, IU and more, there will be no 5th and 6th gen groups.

I think this type of thinking is eh

And without ASTRO, StayC, TWICE, Blackpink, BTS, NCT, Loona, IU and more, there will be no 5th and 6th gen groups.

Clearly there would.

• Disagree about IU being below Psy. Her physical sales are rising and her international presence is only growing, not to mention her hit songs. Psy had a good run from 2012-14 internationally, but didn’t grow physically or on streaming platforms outside of his two biggest hits. I’m aware that domestically, he had several solo hits before and after Gangnam Style. But his sales peaked in 2002, a year after he debuted. IU just had her best seller nearly 13 years into her career.

EXO should be tied with BB. BB has YT, Exo has Spotify. EXO destroys physically, BB destroys digitally. Both have good strengths and members with successful solo careers as well.

no, i definitely agree with psy being above iu
    the rankings to me would be
    bts
    psy
    bp
    iu
    simply because of reach. while iu may dominate the korean market, she's not nearly big enough outside to outrank bp/bts/psy. and psy has had the biggest hit of all of kpop. he's only below bts because bts has had consistent hits that were just slightly smaller than gangnam style. im pretty sure gangnam style + gentleman's views added up will be more than all of iu's videos because those two add to 5.6B views-

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• PSY reach was for literally only two songs he doesnt deserve to be above others lmfao.

youtube views is not the be all and end all.

Its clearly talking about Korea where PSY wouldnt even be top 10.

• PSY reach was for literally only two songs he doesnt deserve to be above others lmfao.

youtube views is not the be all and end all.

Its clearly talking about Korea where PSY wouldnt even be top 10.

where does it say in korea?

if in korea then psy will be lower, but since the op doesnt say that psy is definitely number 2

in a global scale psy is much much much much bigger than iu

• A plain list is never possible, didn't Melon get a bunch of experts do that for songs recently.

Popularity is not always impact.

For example, Seo Taiji is effectively the most impactful, but the reach was limited.

Gangnam Style is probably still the most listened to Kpop song in the world of all time, but a large section of listeners won't known Psy as a Kpop act or even aware that it was a Kpop song

Pre globalisation, pre digital boom, social media is an entire different world.

And then what is popular in Korea vs. what is popular in the world, need not always overlap.

So most of these rankings effectively fail.

At best people can agree upon the top 20 or so, across all these factors.

• EXO should be tied with BB. BB has YT, Exo has Spotify. EXO destroys physically, BB destroys digitally. Both have good strengths and members with successful solo careers as well.

is spotify good metric? it has became only very popular since 2015, and bigbang's japanese discography and some songs weren't on spotify until like 2018, 2019, and they have clearly less songs since half of their career was on hiatus, and what about touring?

• IU is literally the biggest hit maker that Korea witnessed, its been 13 years and she still get pak left and right, she has a successful drama, she sells well.

paks are limited to korea, her drama may have gotten a couple million viewers and she sells well, but that's nothing compared to a whole generation of kids that know gangnam style. sure, every kpop stan knows iu, but every single person who was on the internet in psy's time knows of gangnam style. i think that's a win by default.

hell, even obama knew psy- his popularity was absolutely crazy. his was the first video to hit 1b views, and youtube had to change their whole view system for him.

• but still without them to make kpop well-known outside of Korea, BP would not be as popular as today. U seem to underestimate other senior groups so much

Only big bang and SNSD really started promoting Korea international but they are not the reason BP is big.

Nah I dont underestimate you over estimate old groups.

Exo wouldnt be tied with BB that is a fucking insult towards BB.

Exo physical sales is nothing special now days and the gap overall I dont think is that big compared to the gap digitally. You ignored touring I guess? Bring that it and it smashes anything Exo acomplished physically.

All Exo has is album sales

• I'm just here to make sure that nobody is disputing the top 2 spots.

1. Seo taji and boys (the creators of kpop)

2. Bangtan boys (the most influential kpop group)

• Only big bang and SNSD really started promoting Korea international but they are not the reason BP is big.

Nah I dont underestimate you over estimate old groups.

Well, been a kpop fan since 2008 when Kpop started with nothing and then Wonder girls start to hit it big in the US with Nobody debuting at No. 79 on BB100. Boa took over S.Korea and Japan and also became the FIRST kpop artist to chart BB 200. and since then 2011 is when KPOP started to hit internationally (major artists are able to chart BB200), oh did i forgot to mention how massive Gangnam style and Gentlemen are, well i dont need to talk about that. I am too lazy to write a whole ass paragraph since there is so much to talk about old groups influences on the international scene. So yeah they DID that when BP didnt even exist yet. and U think they DIDNT make it.. In case u cant read, i didnt say these groups are the reason BP is big. However, it is them who created the attention and make people interested in KPOP, Oh wait you are the ForgttenSoul, how could i forget.

• Well, been a kpop fan since 2008 when Kpop started with nothing and then Wonder girls start to hit it big in the US with Nobody debuting at No. 79 on BB100. Boa took over S.Korea and Japan and also became the FIRST kpop artist to chart BB 200. and since then 2011 is when KPOP started to hit internationally (major artists are able to chart BB200), oh did i forgot to mention how massive Gangnam style and Gentlemen are, well i dont need to talk about that. I am too lazy to write a whole ass paragraph since there is so much to talk about old groups influences on the international scene. So yeah they DID that when BP didnt even exist yet. and U think they DIDNT make it.. In case u cant read, i didnt say these groups are the reason BP is big. However, it is them who created the attention and make people interested in KPOP, Oh wait you are the ForgttenSoul, how could i forget.

Hiting big in the US? Means charting with one song?

Nothing they did really made KPOP relevant at all. Its was a very small % of people who knew them . SNSD/SJ/BB/2NE1 really blew KPOP open internationally everyone else was asia focused.

Groups promoted them selfs. The groups that really pushed KPOP are BTS and BP compared to everyone else its eclipses everything.

• Exo wouldnt be tied with BB that is a fucking insult towards BB.

Exo physical sales is nothing special now days and the gap overall I dont think is that big compared to the gap digitally. You ignored touring I guess? Bring that it and it smashes anything Exo acomplished physically.

All Exo has is album sales

No it's actually the opposite

There is a bigger gap in physicals

1. BTS — 31,435,304 copies sold
    2. EXO — 13,199,097 copies sold
    3. SEVENTEEN — 8,091,887 copies sold
    4. TWICE — 6,485,872 copies sold
    5. NCT DREAM — 5,292,893 copies sold
    6. GOT7 — 4,022,133 copies sold
    7. SUPER JUNIOR — 3,878,121 copies sold
    8. Wanna One — 3,624,584 copies sold
    9. Stray Kids — 3,590,563 copies sold
    10. NCT — 3,531,065 copies sold
    11. NCT 127 — 3,211,291 copies sold
    12. TXT 3,106,120 copies sold
    13. BLACKPINK — 2,667,413 copies sold
    14. Baekhyun — 2,658,097 copies sold
    15. MONSTA X — 2,587,441 copies sold
    16. SHINee — 2,548,086 copies sold
    17. Girls' Generation — 2,363,982 copies sold
    18. IZ*ONE — 2,123,434 copies sold
    19. Red Velvet — 1,905,549 copies sold
    20. THE BOYZ — 1,871,572 copies sold
    21. ATEEZ — 1,807,702 copies sold
    22. TVXQ! — 1,709,583 copies sold

23. BIGBANG — 1,668,550 copies sold

Exo's digitals are actually among the best as well. But the thing is overall the album does very well not just singles

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There wasnt a big gap like you claim

And you are underestimating Exo's touring powerpasted-from-clipboard.png

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/09/which-k-pop-groups-earned-the-most-money-from-their-worldwide-concert-tours-since-2010

I am not even following charts so I couldnt find older bb data these are what found from a quick twitter seearch. Of course you are free to dislike Exo but well these are the truths

:pepe-hehe:

• but still without them to make kpop well-known outside of Korea, BP would not be as popular as today. U seem to underestimate other senior groups so much

Tbh, third gen was the one make Kpop popular internationally and bigger like today. Nobody underestimate senior groups, they spread the wave in China and Japan and everyone know that.

But you clearly belittle with the achievement of Bts and Bp who expanding kpop to become more mainstream for almost every part of the world. Tbh, these groups can be as popular as they're now even without the senior groups. Bts already prove that. You also forget, most of them only make a way for their juniors which is why big 3 used to dominate everything compare to now.

Edited once, last by Flovell ().

• Not me ending up writing article eye-

But some people really be thinking exo only had good physicals

:pepestare:

I mean It's ok to dislike a group but to use wrong information and false claims just to downplay them is just sad, but what did you expect from akp

I'm not even surprised anymore, I bet that person will still claim that the reply you used is not true, you know how it is every time rain. Don't use your time for people who won't appreciate it and rather say what they want to believe :peperain:

No Thoughts Head empty, only Baekhyun

F0CgG2zaUAIMXea?format=jpg&name=4096x4096  F0CgG2zaUAERynm?format=jpg&name=4096x4096  F0CgG2xagAEwdCR?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• I mean It's ok to dislike a group but to use wrong information and false claims just to downplay them is just sad, but what did you expect from akp

I'm not even surprised anymore, I bet that person will still claim that the reply you used is not true, you know how it is every time rain. Don't use your time for people who won't appreciate it and rather say what they want to believe :peperain:

With EXO is always “they only have physical sales” when they are one of the groups with most digital points because their albums are really successful digitally not only the main tracks or singles.

• Agreed

You can't really rank them imo, being pioneers vs international achievements vs Japanese achievements vs SEA vs trends and so many things that can be argued by people

You can maybe put them in tiers that's better

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• This thread contains 55 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!