What is stopping kpop groups from gaining mass appeal??

• I'm not a fan of these groups, but why is there such a wave of negativity around BTS & Twice lately on the forum :pepewhat:

Marketing ?

Put some respect on BTS please. They started from the bottom, before they got to where they are today. How we can say they are where they are thanks to marketing ... And all the more so when many here only listen to and follow groups from BIG3 ... that's the pot calling the kettle black ...

:pepefacepalm:

• There was negativitiy about Twice? Where?

• To answer your question OP, part of the reason kpop as a whole doesn't seem to appeal to the masses (at least here is the US) is the damage that has been done on it's reputation based on stereotypes (that frankly have been earned to some degree). As you have probably noticed, a vast majority of the GP hate kpop and its stans with a strong passion. That hate isn't going away long enough for people to even give some songs or groups a try. No matter the marketing techniques or campaigns behind these groups, the GP will never be on board with kpop enough for the genre itself to have mass appeal outside of it's niche. Now the reason BTS "made" it and have that appeal is because of the group itself. They seem to be the opposite of most kpop stereotypes....add in amazing talent, sincere members, and music that transcends barriers, you now have the ability to turn GP to hardcore fans. This is the reason they are so big. They make you want to follow them and their journey. The same cannot be said for other groups.

• luck plays a huge role why BTS became so popular, they became huge after one direction disbandment. Zoomers wanted a new group to stan and BTS was the only option available during that time, so everyone jumped off to the bandwagon. There is really no difference to what BTS, straykids, TXT, NCT are doing, it's just good timing.

Also straykids are gaining a lot of attention lately they might become the next big thing, so keep an eye on them.

just no, bts is different than other groups and most directioners don't even like bts. If that was the reason for their succes, other groups would be doing as well as bts but they're not. nct debuted in 2016 and were from a big company but their succes ain't even close. It's obviously for a reason and exo too were active when 1d disbanded

• the question should be why other kpop groups are not gaining mass appeals because as far as i know no one is stopping them to gain one because i'm sure these groups are also exhausting their efforts, promotions, available platforms at their disposal.

I can imagine some groups from small companies getting blocked in some way in Korea for many reasons (possible reasons: big 3 & CJ Ent. etc. don’t want another outsider to outgrow them, and the limited spots on tv, cf, and idol pool which they want for themselves, so they use their connections to prevent it).. A group like Ateez comes to mind, because I remember things like „a Korean tv station cutting parts out where Ateez was mentioned“ from a program and other stuff like that (and I can imagine that... Their song „Answer“ for example was one of the best of 2020 - a real breakthrough song, but strangely it went unnoticed in Korea).

But worldwide you’re right - no one is stopping these groups, that’s why album sales numbers are getting bigger every year.

• This thread is making me confused. There are other groups who have input on their music, there are other groups who have multiple genres within their discography, plenty of other kpop groups have songs with deep lyrics. Why is it only BTS that's getting the credit for it? I'm not saying BTS doesn't deserve the credit and that they're not special. But it is clearly something else that caused them to become so popular since many groups have the same attributes that everyone here is saying only applies to BTS.

• I think its mainly 2 things. BTS has a much wider appeal, they dont only appeal to typical kpop or even typical western pop target audience. They have fans who dont even like pop music, they have 70 year old fans, they have fans in every country and all demographics. And these fans all relate to and enjoys BTS's music for different reasons. You can like them as a kpop group, for visuals and dancing, you can like them for grand scale artsy multimedia projects, you can enjoy them for bops or for lyrics, you can like them for their hip hop side or you can like them for Spring Day and so on.

And secondly, they make sincere and vulnerable music and that makes many people identify with it and them enough to go out of their way to support them. Not all artists evoke that reaction.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Marketing?? Lol. People seem to forget BTS was bighit's last resort to prevent bankruptcy. Especially after the glam scandal. They literally didn't have the money to promote BTS property. Big3 had way better marketing team than BH until LY: tear (bb200 #1).

Luck? I would've admitted they blew up suddenly like exid or BG and rode that fame all throughout their whole career. They keep surpassing themselves every comeback. So, they get lucky time after time? Looks like BTS stole everyone else's luck.

• Marketing?? Lol. People seem to forget BTS was bighit's last resort to prevent bankruptcy. Especially after the glam scandal. They literally didn't have the money to promote BTS property. Big3 had way better marketing team than BH until LY: tear (bb200 #1).

Luck? I would've admitted they blew up suddenly like exid or BG and rode that fame all throughout their whole career. They keep surpassing themselves every comeback. So, they get lucky time after time? Looks like BTS stole everyone else's luck.

These people are also forgetting BH's marketing budget was few thusand USD even in 2017-2018.

But I guess trying to claim BTS is big because of marketing makes them feel better about their faves.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• plenty of other kpop groups have songs with deep lyrics. Why is it only BTS that's getting the credit for it?

Feel free to correct me but i don't think there are any groups whose music are half as relatable as BTS.

Whey they were students, they were singing about finding your dream (no more dream), the stress and pressure imposed by Korean education system on students (NO), falling in love for the first time (boy in love). These are the things a highschooler goes through.

Whey they were youths, they were singing about the concerns of youth like breakups and loneliness (i need you), the competitive job market, how hard it is for this generation to keep moving forward (baepsae, dope, run), letting go of everything and living your life your way (fire).

Now, they are adults, so they're singing about how important love yourself first before loving others (LY series) and finding your true self (MOTS series).

This is the type of storytelling that separates BTS from the rest. It's like armys are growing up alongside BTS. This along with their real personalities are core reasons behind this fandom.

Yes there are other factors but how people discredit their music saying it's the same as others is really annoying.

• Every generation has it's own boy group obsession, today is BTS, in the past it was Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Jonas Brothers and One Direction

There's no way another one can reach that level

• I can imagine some groups from small companies getting blocked in some way in Korea for many reasons (possible reasons: big 3 & CJ Ent. etc. don’t want another outsider to outgrow them, and the limited spots on tv, cf, and idol pool which they want for themselves, so they use their connections to prevent it).. A group like Ateez comes to mind, because I remember things like „a Korean tv station cutting parts out where Ateez was mentioned“ from a program and other stuff like that (and I can imagine that... Their song „Answer“ for example was one of the best of 2020 - a real breakthrough song, but strangely it went unnoticed in Korea).

But worldwide you’re right - no one is stopping these groups, that’s why album sales numbers are getting bigger every year.

Ateez is not unknown in Korea, they participated in a drama, they have done collaborations with big names, they have participated in survival shows. You can google it.

• I am not discrediting BTS' lyrics and I think they're super relatable. I'm only saying that a lot of the stuff I'm seeing in this thread is anecdotal and can apply to other kpop groups no matter the extent.

• Yeah, I agree it's the loser mentality plus the crab mentality of Kpop stans.

instead of focusing on their faves and their music to propel them further in their careers, they focus on bringing BTS down.

Remember, that 'useless Paper Award' when the whole kpop community voted for Justin oppa against BTS?

That's a prime example of crab mentality.

• the question should be why other kpop groups are not gaining mass appeals because as far as i know no one is stopping them to gain one because i'm sure these groups are also exhausting their efforts, promotions, available platforms at their disposal.

Their fans focus too much on BTS 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!