What is stopping kpop groups from gaining mass appeal??

• What do you think stops kpop groups from having mass appeal like BTS? And please, spare me the "they are the best" responses, lets be real for a second here. They knew what to do at the right time and had a great marketing campaign that propelled them to the global market, but they shared/share a lot of similarities with other groups, from image to music, kpop in general works in homogeneity.

I know that luck plays a vital part in every success story, but kpop has such a constant output of content that I find it strange that no other group has managed to raise to the same heights. So what you guys think, will we ever get a BTS rival in numbers? What is stopping the general world public from following other groups?

Edit: Look, after reading all these responses I have to say, a lot of you have a serious case of "my child is the only one that is special" and are not able to consume things and still be able to see it critically.

1. I used BTS as a comparison because they are the exception, they not only had many number one songs in one of the biggest charts, Hot 100, but in many others globally. And that is not a one hit wonder scenario. What some of you clearly don't understand is that for any artist to gain and maintain that kind of success a lot of marketing effort is put in. Collaborations, appearances, events, merchandise, all of that is carefully prepared and thought out. And that is not a shot at your fave! BTS and Big Hit clearly were smart enough to capitalize on the opportunities and excel at them.

2. Now, what some of you claim to be staples of BTS and therefore the reason for their success are not exclusive to them.

2.1 Writing your own material. A lot of groups like SEVENTEEN, Winner, iKON, and many others have various members involved from writing to producing their songs.

2.2 Philanthropy. It's also something very common for different artists to support a wide range of causes. And BTS can be vocal and donate so much now because of their success, that makes them able to have more freedom in their actions, something that was not always from their inception.

2.3 Change in musical genres. That's basically the majority of kpop groups. Every comeback is used to test new concepts and sounds.

2.4 Deep lyrics. BigBang, Day6, Sunmi, IU, TXT and even the new EPEX, have had works that deal with different, serious subjects.

The point is, all of these artist I mentioned and many others had the potential to become huge globally, and by that, I mean appeal to people that are not usually plugged into the kpop genre. But even now with the success of BTS, the mainstream has not shown the same amount of interest in any other groups.

Now, what I think BTS managed to do it differently, which other groups don't seem to be able to recreate, is foster a fan base truly devoted to them and in most cases, only them! Which helps propel their brand into the view of the mainstream.

• Since you believe bts are where they are all because of marketing, timing and luck only, it should not be hard to believe why no one's at their level. You can't create luck nor the perfect timing. Every popular group is marketed right so there's that.

So every other group is unlucky and has bad timing.

For legal reasons: many of the things I say are said jokingly, take them as such :wilds::oks:

• I hope dumb kpop fans stop with this "marketing campaign" excuse. They started promoting in US after WINGS got #25 on BB200. Till then the highest ranking kpop album was #95. WINGS was also the first ever kpop album to spend 2 weeks on BB200. Before that no literally no other kpop album had spent more than a week on BB200. 'Spring Day' had charted on BB Bubbling Under, first ever kpop song to do so. Even since then till now only Blackpink and SuperM have charted on that. This "marketing" started only because they had DEMAND. All these kpop groups who have promoted before BTS and after BTS still don't have as much demand for them that BTS had in 2017 but they're still doing "marketing". So stop with this "marketing" bs. Marketing and promotion only helps if there is demand. BTS had demand even before they started promoting.

• BTS has been the top for a long time. Some new people come in and they explore one group and stop there.

And then theres this bias thinking that everyone else is not gonna be better than the group you currently stan. You cannot not be bias when you are a KPOP group fan. Theres gonna be at least a slight bias.

And 1 more thing, its a must in KPOP nowadays. Achievements. You dont have that and people wont even look at you. What else can they brag about if theres none?

Warning: Everything I said are said jokingly. Take them as such. :starec:

• I hope dumb kpop fans stop with this "marketing campaign" excuse. They started promoting in US after WINGS got #25 on BB200. Till then the highest ranking kpop album was #95. WINGS was also the first ever kpop album to spend 2 weeks on BB200. Before that no literally no other kpop album had spent more than a week on BB200. 'Spring Day' had charted on BB Bubbling Under, first ever kpop song to do so. Even since then till now only Blackpink and SuperM have charted on that. This "marketing" started only because they had DEMAND. All these kpop groups who have promoted before BTS and after BTS still don't have as much demand for them that BTS had in 2017 but they're still doing "marketing". So stop with this "marketing" bs. Marketing and promotion only helps if there is demand. BTS had demand even before they started promoting.

I don't think OP meant appeal from the Western GP. They meant appeal from the Korean GP.

• I think this is the best / right answer

• So nothing is setting BTS apart from the rest of the groups according to you ? New fans keep showing up only because they are jumping on the success bandwagon ? A lot of ARMYs do check others groups, it's just not what they are looking for.

The reason why others groups don't succeed like BTS is because their stans just like OP convinced themselves that it's all about marketing and nothing else. It's easier to accept BTS success that way.

Here the reasons why BTS became so successful according to me :

BTS members are really relatable and are all boys next door. ARMY love their chemistry, their humour and their accessibility. They spend a lot of time interacting with theirs fans.

. The biggest of these is the artistic control they have over their music. Many of the songs are written in part or whole and produced in part or whole by them. Much of their music is unique, is not your tradtional love song and holds a lot of meaning. Many ARMY talk about how BTS' message caught their eye and brought them into the fandom.

They deal with social/political issues in theirs songs and they are mainly talking about theirs personal struggles. That’s why their music holds a strong emotional connection with the fans. Their discography conveys a tragic yet comforting view of human existence : everything is ephemeral and never last. Happiness don’t exist only moments of joy. Yet, BTS never fail to comfort their audience and give them hope. For example in the same album, Butterfly is about the fear of loosing a loved one and Run is about the acceptance of the end of a relationship.

BTS depict a lot of relatable struggles and share a cure at the same time. In a way, they are the cure.
    So their message is universal and for a lot of ARMY, theirs songs are our home.

Their biggest strength is theirs performances. Even people who aren’t ARMYs say it. They never perform twice the same way. They are versatile performers, charismastic with a different charm for a lot of them and they are very energetic sometimes wild.

• I would have thought the same if B.A.P wouldn’t have fallen so deeply after 2014. They also had everything in them and were different than the rest, but somehow it was not enough to survive in Korea, while BTS conquered the whole music world… meaning, it can’t be only that.

• I’m going to assume you are talking about Korean gp.

Well just as someone said idols are not respected much or taken seriously. I’ve noticed the idols who are actually popular and respected especially from 2nd gen is because they take other roles including acting which boosted their careers.

Most idols are just using it as a stepping stone for a long lasting career in the entertainment industry. So obviously in the entertainment circles they are at the bottom of the hierarchy.

If you compare Seo Taiji and BTS popularity, there are some stark similarities. They tackled the same issues in their music and BTS draws inspiration from them. I think Seo Taiji, BTS and bigbang are the only groups the kgp have preferred calling artistes instead of idols

• So nothing is setting BTS apart from the rest of the groups according to you ? New fans keep showing up only because they are jumping on the success bandwagon ? A lot of ARMYs do check others groups, it's just not what they are looking for.

Thanks for this. Ngl every army I have asked about actually do end up checking out other groups. I think it’s just kpoppies who have built a bubble around themselves to not admit that sometimes people are just not interested in their faves.

It’s funny how armys don’t even go around policing people who don’t listen to BTS lmaoo

• I would have thought the same if B.A.P wouldn’t have fallen so deeply after 2014. They also had everything in them and were different than the rest, but somehow it was not enough to survive in Korea, while BTS conquered the whole music world… meaning, it can’t be only that.

B.A.P were screwed by their company whereas HYBE promoted BTS well. Everyone know that TS is terrible. And yeah B.A.P was in a good dynamic before their scandal with TS but no one know where they would be today with a good company supporting the group back then. It's the 100th episode of people using B.A.P to invalidate BTS uniqueness anyways. I am tired of it. See, I don't stan BigBang or SNSD but I can recognize their uniqueness and it factor because it exists and explains their success story.

• To expand on my reply, a lot of people who don't like kpop likes BTS.

Yeah, they play the idol part well enough that they will appeal to the usual kpop demographic, but the fact that they have a lot of freedom, both in their career and their music, the fact that they talk about politics or mental health, the fact that they are respected as musicians and not just idols is winning over a part of the population who don't care at all about idols in general.

• Again with this "marketing" bs. The big3 groups had way more marketing than BTS until 2018. So stop with this bs.

What makes BTS different is that while others were singing about love, breakups and partying, BTS were singing about Korean education system, the job market, anxiety and social issues like that. Only BAP were doing the same but their company screwed them over.

But the irony is that you first need a catchy "generic" title song about love and breakups etc in order to build a relevant fanbase who will then listen to the bsides which are true masterpieces of BTS. Boy in luv and I need you were those songs.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!