Why korean GP don’t support TWICE music like before?

• In my opinion the reasons are:

1. TWICE music evolving: the girls went from cutesy which gave them their biggest hits ever in their career to more a mature sound so obviously the korean GP is not used neither seems to like it.

2. Choreos lacking of signature moves: We all know choreos help a lot with the performance of a song, if a choreo goes viral then the song will obviously. TT, Cheer Up, Fancy and more TWICE’s song with iconic dance steps were something people fell in love. I think their newest songs lack in that aspect, their choreos are getting harder and coordination as usual is incredible but the signature moves are gone.

3. New favorites girlgroups: This might sound stupid because many big and successful girlgroups can coexist together this not a competition, but i think korean GP moved to other girlgroups to find new sounds I guess? So TWICE niche is not into them anymore.

TWICE is growing so much international regardless and what some toxic stans call a “flop” is what many groups will wish to have.

This is just my honest opinion after observing their comebacks since Feel Special in 2019 (which is a big hit in Japan, Japanese have taste) till so far Alcohol-Free initial performance.

• leavessick

Changed the title of the thread from “Why korean GP don’t support TWICE music life before?” to “Why korean GP don’t support TWICE music like before?”.
  • TWICE historically had an ethos of comforting warmth and relatability.

Their entire image, sound and manner reinforced this idea in their early career.

It was this relatability and comfort that was the foundation for their beloved status with the public.

They have largely abandoned that ethos.

In my opinion that is at the center of why TWICE lost their differentiation and special relationship.

Edited once, last by emanresu ().

• There are too many reasons. Dating scandals, backlash for their singing, twice focusing more on japan, concept change, and people thinking they have had enough of twice who comeback even if one member is not feeling well. The usual positivity has long gone whenever they comeback.

• I think M&M kind of tripped up their momentum (especially happening after Feel Special), then that encore stage issue and Corona stopping a lot of Twices presence in the public in general really all came together and made Twice a little less popular with the general public. Music wise anyway. But I think ICSM helped a bit and I have a feeling AF is going to change that back and give Twice another hit with the general public (knocks on wood).

• I just hope they like the music they're doing now and like their management, otherwise they're probably doomed as a group

i hope jyp is doing what they need to do to keep them happy. Their fanbase is secure, so I think they're doing great in moving to a new sound. Trying to chase GP hits has its pitfalls anyway

• Official Post

1) Constant image changes. They don't have a set image like the once had. When you thought of TWICE, you thought of 9 girls with cheerful personalities and a bright, enjoyable concept to lift up your day. From Fancy onwards their image has been very confusing, with them going from bright but mature with Fancy/M&M/FS, to a much darker concept with CFM/ICSM, to a brighter concept with Alcohol-Free. There's just no consistency.

2) Newer and younger groups with similar concepts rising. This always happens in KPOP tbh, groups with similar concepts start to rise as the older groups start to decline.

Obviously all of this is not their fault, it's ratty JYP's fault for not even trying with TWICE nowadays.

Though they still have a strong fanbase that buy albums and merch, that's what bring in the $$$ anyway so

• I think the main and obvious reason was their change in style after Feel Special. The public seemingly aren't really fans of non cute Twice music, which is a bit odd considering girl crush has been the in trend for the last few years and cut songs are less common so you'd think Twice would've also got the same reception.

I guess there's more to it than just music change as that alone wouldn't explain their drastic drop off in charts for a few years and multiple CBs in a row. I haven't seen that happen to a once big group unless they had a scandal, something has clearly changed with public's attitude towards Twice as a group, not just their music.

• I guess majority twice fans are growing up too. It was easy when twice did the cute concepts and fans were teenagers, but it’s harder to relate to actual grown adults as music taste gets specific or non existent for some

:whatr:

and teens of today probably listen more to 4th gen groups and that’s if kpop is even as popular in Korea as it used to be. I see stayc or weeekly taking over similarly

:pepepizza:

aespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgiraespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

æ- "𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝔼𝕧𝕠, 𝔼𝕧𝕠𝕝𝕦𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟" -𝕒𝕖𝕤𝕡𝕒 -æ

• that's what naturally happens to ggs with similar concepts to twice? Cmiiw, but SNSD also started to not chart as high as before post-IGAB, like 6 years after their debut. Twice are now a 6 years-old-group and many newer and fresher groups are capturing the GP's heart + their music isn't as catchy as before

• it's just something that happens with all groups eventually. if they peak later, they tend to last longer. like omg just had their big hit with dolphin/nonstop, so even if they've been around awhile they're trendy currently and can still go up. there's anomalies sometimes where older groups will get one or two hits that save them, but usually by 5-6 years there's a downturn. new groups come in, old groups fade. cycle of kpop group life ig

I think the main and obvious reason was their change in style after Feel Special. The public seemingly aren't really fans of non cute Twice music, which is a bit odd considering girl crush has been the in trend for the last few years and cut songs are less common so you'd think Twice would've also got the same reception.

I guess there's more to it than just music change as that alone wouldn't explain their drastic drop off in charts for a few years and multiple CBs in a row. I haven't seen that happen to a once big group unless they had a scandal, something has clearly changed with public's attitude towards Twice as a group, not just their music.

there is probably some truth to this honestly. they've had a handful of scandals over the last couple of years, so add that to their concept change, the new generation gaining momentum, and jyp making poor choices it's kind of inevitable unfortunately

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• I think fancy is the new sound for them but sadly the next songs isn’t appealing to koreans

The alcohol free is good but there’s no catchy part to it, I can’t stop me, cry for me is good but it’s not bright for Koreans liking this is the main reasons why twice isn’t doing well digitally even that two songs are good there’s no twice feeling

• the factors others have stated seem to be the case + also over-saturation of the market, i think in some ways TWICE have kinda spent their image as a group, after you release dozens of singles with little wait in between, they start to lose their excitement, JYP tried to counteract this by constantly changing the concepts, but that only backfired more

[+808,8] Jennie wears high heels larger than your oppa's dick, sit down

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

• there is probably some truth to this honestly. they've had a handful of scandals over the last couple of years, so add that to their concept change, the new generation gaining momentum, and jyp making poor choices it's kind of inevitable unfortunately

But that's the thing, they haven't really had any major scandals, certainly not any in the same league as other groups such as bullying, drugs, assault etc. Iirc the main ones they've had were dating and theyre hardly big enough for the whole public to lose interest.

I don't think it's generation shift because that doesn't magically affect everyone from previous generations, if a group is popular they'll stay popular regardless if newer group come along. Gens don't really matter to casual listeners/public unless there's an obvious difference like group A is made of 30 yr olds while group B is made of teens.

It's honestly really weird what happened to them. By their 4th year they started underperforming and got worse since. Many groups have mainted their own personal level of success fir longer periods barring major scandals but Twice have tanked hard from very top without any real reason why.

• the factors others have stated seem to be the case + also over-saturation of the market, i think in some ways TWICE have kinda spent their image as a group, after you release dozens of singles with little wait in between, they start to lose their excitement, JYP tried to counteract this by constantly changing the concepts, but that only backfired more

I actually think this is the best guess. This is the result of endless milking of fanbase. Plus, male fans are fickle anyway, as they grow older, they tend to abandon the kpop fandom and become casual fans

Like someone said above, sound change doesnt make you drastically drop in performance (thought it really happened before with gfriend). It is combination of few factors - Sound change, too much milking to a point that some fans are turned off, bad live singing scandal, constant members absent from comeback, amongst others

• you're right lol but one must evolve

• I think the main and obvious reason was their change in style after Feel Special. The public seemingly aren't really fans of non cute Twice music, which is a bit odd considering girl crush has been the in trend for the last few years and cut songs are less common so you'd think Twice would've also got the same reception.

Did it ever happen to SNSD during their time as 9 membeers? 2007 to 2014? or i should say after their major hit year of 2009, were they able to keep that momentum going?

I'm curious because I never followed the charts since I only got into kpop a few years ago. Even now I barely know whats happening with the charts. I didn't know Twice's performance had changed that much.

• The GP is fickle af.

I don't think they aren't supporting Twice anymore, they just probably don't vibe with this specific song. ICSM did pretty well, right ?

• Did it ever happen to SNSD during their time as 9 membeers? 2007 to 2014? or i should say after their major hit year of 2009, were they able to keep that momentum going?

I'm curious because I never followed the charts since I only got into kpop a few years ago. Even now I barely know whats happening with the charts. I didn't know Twice's performance had changed that much.

I don't know exactly details about charts for 07-08 SNSD because A I wasn't around and B chart data was hadDr to find as there was no centralised chart ranking system like Gaon which came in 2010. SNSD I assume did decent but they were overshadowed by WG.

2009 through to 2013 they were very strong, getting number 1 every time on every chart (except cyworld which SM had beef with therefore no SM artist could ever get paks/caks/whatever) and always among best selling songs of the years (even IGAB, as crazy and unconventional as it was and being the first song with a new more expensive price on melon, still was the 10th most downloaded song of the year). They changed concept and sound every single CB too which was always very risky but SNSD managed to pull it off and as a result no one knew what to expect from them so their cbs often became like events (often made news, other labels would move to avoid SNSD, the usyaul hyper etc) rather than just another CB. They were very strong digitally and outright the best selling group album wise.

2014, was their dip. Mr Mr debuted number 1 but didn't really have legs ended up lower down on the end of year charts and the group had scandal after scandal including Jessica being kicked out. 2015 they returned as 8 and though didn't match their pre 2014 sales they still had huge popularity and fame, they were still the biggest gg around. Taeyeon also emerged now as solo and was immediately shot to fame among the best selling digital artists.

In short SNSD, music wise had a massive peak that lasted for years and were one of the best selling groups around.

But what was but more impressive was how strong their influnce and recognition was, they were undisputably the biggest group in kpop for their era and even into the early years of 3rd gen. They got record ratings on TV shows, they were heavily responsible for spreading kpop worldwide, they had a ton of CFs, members were among the most popular celebs around and so on. Their popularity was so big they were dubbed cult icons of Korea. That fame still accompanies them to this day as even individually members are having very successful careers as singers, actors, models, TV stars and so on.

• Thanks for the explanation! This is unrelated but what are the factors that lead a group to be strong physically vs strong digitally?

Even though there are so many different influencing factors and different years, I guess it would be safe to say that SNSD's peak was longer/stronger than Twice's?

SNSD is my favorite GG too. I discovered them after they had already finished promoting their 10th anniv songs but before Oh!GG so I had to go back and rewatch all of the old content. They were truly one powerful group. Hopefully there's an 8 member comeback sometime. Taeyeon's my favorite soloist too. I remember seeing when SM would hold label-wide concerts or events, it would be SNSD that would be the big act. Not the boy groups, but SNSD. Very impressive for debuting at a time when girl groups weren't that big.

• I'm going to say it's all of your reasons plus the fact that their music is simply not as unique now. Before when they did cute songs, they spun something different on it. TT, Likey, Cheer Up - all had a unique sound. Now, their 2019 music and onwards just doesn't sound as unique though I love Feel Special and Cry For Me, I wouldn't say that they are particularly unique. TBH, their 2019 music still suited them. It's the 2020 and onwards music that I feel hasn't sounded as unique. The other thing I'd say is that they're just the type of group that has this fresh feel that suits brighter concepts more.

It's good they're experimenting with different concepts but they come more alive during bright/bubbly concepts.

If they did one like that I feel like their charting would be different.

I think what it is is that whether you were a fan or not in 2015-2018, you still somehow listened Twice's music. Whether you were a fan or not. It was just catchy and unique. Their music just sounded different. Not like any other group's. They had that "TWICE" sound to it.

But now, I feel like their music could easily be another group's. It's mostly fans who pay attention to their music, I feel. It's not reaching other corners of the GP as much. It just doesn't have that catchy/viral/unique element it had before that pulled in listeners, whether they were fans or not.

The problem is not that they changed concepts. It's that they changed concepts without adding anything NEW to the concept and the GP was I think disappointed as a result, especially since they were so impressed before.

I noticed that all their early songs put me in a good mood. It's like it released endorphins. Despite whatever lyrics they were singing, the melodies were always bright and happy and energetic.

Now their music doesn't have that effect.

• Thanks for the explanation! This is unrelated but what are the factors that lead a group to be strong physically vs strong digitally?

Even though there are so many different influencing factors and different years, I guess it would be safe to say that SNSD's peak was longer/stronger than Twice's?

SNSD is my favorite GG too. I discovered them after they had already finished promoting their 10th anniv songs but before Oh!GG so I had to go back and rewatch all of the old content. They were truly one powerful group. Hopefully there's an 8 member comeback sometime. Taeyeon's my favorite soloist too. I remember seeing when SM would hold label-wide concerts or events, it would be SNSD that would be the big act. Not the boy groups, but SNSD. Very impressive for debuting at a time when girl groups weren't that big.

No problem. Good to still see Sones alive and kicking all these years later. But man, you chose one for the worst times to find them lmao: They just had a sabotaged cb, 3 left SM and no one knew if SNSD was done for or not. I'm been a fan since 2010 and have loved them since to this day. Now we wait for a cb......or our deaths from old age, whichever comes first lol

For those that saw SNSD at their peak almost all would say SNSD were the bigger group compared to Twice. Like I said the things they achieved where incredible. They were setting records, bringing new audiences, super popular with public and so on. Hell they even directly changed the kpop inindusty and it's effects to this day - their success was the reason for the creation of large number ggs including Twice themselves. If you want a quick and dirty comparison this will be Twice's 6th full year and we already know of their decline on the charts for a few years now, SNSD 6th was 2013 where they were still in their prime as the biggest in kpop and released IGAB to great sucess. Hell the year before SNSD had a year long hiatus in Korea and their popularity never wanted even their unit TTS got a number 1 and had one of the best selling albums of the year. SNSD were untouchable.

Selling physically is purely down to fandom. You develop a strong fandom you're gonna sell a shit ton. This is why bgs who almost always known to have bigger fandoms than their female peers will always have better album sales. For SNSD not only to beat every by around and become the best selling group, including a million seller shows just how popular they were.

Digitally is.....fuck knows lol. There is no way to know what then public likes on a given day or whether the group itself is well known enough to have people take a listen to their songs. Some groups can have a smash hitbone day and the enxt time they flop. Like I pointed out even SNSD Mr Mr didn't do as well in the long as previous songs yet IGAB, the most insane song ever, did much better. Explain that.

I think at least putting out songs that public likes then having a general public developing an opinion of having good songs is a nice starting point. We've seen groups outside big 3 without the hype or backing of large companies achieve huge success like T-ara, Sistar, Gfriend, Mamamoo, Oh My Girl etc because the public consistently like what they heard and thus looked forward to their next song. There is no formulato get a hit, otherwise everyone would be having hits, just keep trying I guess and hope for the best

• actually twice case is weird though if u see melon searches overall this year they next only to bp even south korean you tube views too they still in one of the top groups but when it comes charts they underperomed also i don't think they music change that much they sound still same but mature now

• I think its truly SNSD that sold IGAB. The song itself is a bit strange, but they carried it off so well. You could truly tell they were feeling the concept and enjoying it. SNSD really are kpop royalty.

Yeah I became a fan at the most inactive time lol. Hoping to see a comeback and hope they actually promote it!

Interesting- makes sense (reg digitally vs physically).

There are so many groups right now that just need a hit song to get the public's attention- most of all LOONA I think. That group is wonderfully talented and likable.

• I think they had to many negative news about them. Many start to criticize their singing ( more then before, they ain’t catching a break).

JYP seems to comfortable with them, they charted, they sold, they won and now it feels like JYP isn’t putting more efforts on choosing a Song.

But who knows, I don’t like their recent Song, but it might still turn out to be a hit.

• I think its the concept change. They should have done more bright concepts until 2020. I think they switched at the time when the 4th gen is starting which kinda push their old fans to move on to newer groups. Fancy would have done amazing in 2021

• Ig they aren't really focusing on the gp. They went against the trend with a chill song instead of a energetic bop.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edit: It isn't as bad as I thought. It went up on Flo and melon and alcohol free is on sbs's morning news.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Desbundar

• But that's the thing, they haven't really had any major scandals, certainly not any in the same league as other groups such as bullying, drugs, assault etc. Iirc the main ones they've had were dating and theyre hardly big enough for the whole public to lose interest.

I don't think it's generation shift because that doesn't magically affect everyone from previous generations, if a group is popular they'll stay popular regardless if newer group come along. Gens don't really matter to casual listeners/public unless there's an obvious difference like group A is made of 30 yr olds while group B is made of teens.

It's honestly really weird what happened to them. By their 4th year they started underperforming and got worse since. Many groups have mainted their own personal level of success fir longer periods barring major scandals but Twice have tanked hard from very top without any real reason why.

I respect your opinion, but I don't think they "tanked hard" or anything, their success might have been lowered in KR but they are doing much better internationally. I think it can be related to sound change, and the encore thingy.

:iloveyoub: BRIGHTWIN FOREVER :iloveyoub: SARAWATTINE FOREVER :iloveyoub: 2GETHER FOREVER :iloveyoub: 

Bom tấn đam mỹ 2gether "đánh úp" bản điện ảnh, cặp BrightWin sắp sửa cưới  nhau hoành tráng?

• 1) Constant image changes. They don't have a set image like the once had. When you thought of TWICE, you thought of 9 girls with cheerful personalities and a bright, enjoyable concept to lift up your day. From Fancy onwards their image has been very confusing, with them going from bright but mature with Fancy/M&M/FS, to a much darker concept with CFM/ICSM, to a brighter concept with Alcohol-Free. There's just no consistency.

That's what Bts follows. Changing concepts each time which makes them interesting.

• This is only one part of the problem and in my opinion they could had overcome it if their sound grew in suitable direction. Fancy was perfect combination of cute and mature and still had Twice feel but after that their sound started to deviate too much and just lacked their unique factor.

There is something else that influenced their image. The constant problems around the group brought a lot of negativity around them. Physical traumas, mental traumas, dating, vocal controversies, obvious mental and physical fatigue from their tight schedule, it all came at the same time and influenced negatively their image.

Other factors are:

1. They CB and then disappear from GP's eye for months without any social activity

2. The company failed to grow their image as a group and individually. People get used to things and get bored from them easily. Div3 should have showed different sided of the members and the group

3. Limited vocal abilities and growth in that aspect. This is probably the thing that had hurt their image the most so far.

This mainly refers to the 6 sub-vocalists and by limited I meant by using half air, half sound they won't be able to grow past some point. Give the girls proper vocal tracherp

4. Div3's constant milking of the group and reciprocally lack of investment

• I do think a part of it could also be the concerted attack on TWICE by the "Slave Room" deliberately spreading negativity and magnifying scandals (see sources 1, 2, 3) to destroy TWICE's clean image, and JYP with them as well. (Take this with a grain of salt, though, since Twitter isn't exactly the most reliable or trustworthy source of information.) Some of the posts on these allkpop forums here are oddly-reminiscent of the stuff that the Slave Room was posting, so I do wonder how much that hate campaign has influenced prevailing bandwagon opinion amongst the non-fans of TWICE (and JYP too.. there's been a huge uptick of hate against him, and I sometimes wonder whether it originated from authentic complaints or people who have been influenced unknowingly by the Slave Room).

• They got old

It's really just that guys

Idol groups are short lived and their charting is mostly based on hype and freshness status. When you are young, you are cool. Once you start aging you get uncool and unfresh

Twice exploded 5 years ago in Korea, it's an eternity for idols. Twice still being able to reach top 20 with current charting rules proves how big they actually are, they amassed a big enough group of followers and listeners to keep eager for their music despite the said ""GP"" not bothering as much as they used to

I'm sure in older charting rules they would have another top 5 song just fine

• This thread contains 21 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!