Unpopular Opinion about the 4th generation!

• it hasn't started yet.

"4th generation" fans are acting like this so called generation exists in a vacum. In my opinion, you can't call groups leaders of their generation when they are still lagging behind the leaders of the previous generation. what are they leading exactly? and you can't say a new era started when the last one hasn't even started slowing down let alone ended.

let's talk about how the 3rd generation started, in 2013 EXO started having huge hits but not only that, they actually outsold the top groups of the previous generation (in physical sales), no one could argue that Big Bang or Super Junior or TVXQ were still the absolute top group. and then the gap between EXO and other contemporary groups was huge. when Twice debuted, the GG scene was relatively bare, there was RV and they were successful but they weren't a dominating force. Twice then started having huge hits and outsold the previous best selling GG aka SNSD. that's how you become the leader of your generation, when you absolutely outdo the previous top groups, it becomes your era.

And then BTS and Blackpink outdid EXO and Twice respectively in pretty much all metrics, but considering that they debuted around the same time as the latter 2, it is still the same generation.

something else that imo marks the start of a new generation is when the top groups of the previous one start vanishing (enlistment, disbaning)

If we look at the start of the 2nd generation, it was quite similar too. maybe they didn't outdo the 1st generation in physical sales but most 1st generation groups either disbanded or stopped being active.

none of the above is true for the current kpop scene, BTS and Blackpink still have a very strong hold of kpop and they are still way ahead of everyone else. Arguing that we are in a new generation means that BTS and Blackpink's era ended but that's ridiculous, they are literally still outdoing themselves and still going strong. so why would anyone think that a generational shift happened?

and it isn't only BTS and Blackpink, newer groups have yet to match let alone outdo other top groups of the 3rd generation like EXO, Twice, RV, Mamamoo, Seventeen, NCT etc.

the only reason there would be a 4th generation is if it existed in a vaccum and we pretended the actual top groups don't exist.

• yeah new generation used to just mean when the old most popular groups are superseded by new ones in terms of popularity, but obviously no one's going to surpass BTS for a looong time if ever. So that kind of made all "generation" designations meaningless, especially with 4th gen. Like what is the cutoff for 4th gen anyways?

• I never understood the "new generation must outdo previous generation" logic tbh.

It's like saying we shall wait for the downfall of the previous groups so that the next generation can rise. Both generations can co-exist at the same time.

You don't see people saying Beyonce/Britney/Rihanna/P!nk are being taken over by Ariana/Taylor/Adele and that the downfall of those previous artists bring about the rise of the new generation.

Stan Mariah Carey, queen of all generation being the only artist with a No.1 hit in 4 decades

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I never understood the "new generation must outdo previous generation" logic tbh.

It's like saying we shall wait for the downfall of the previous groups so that the next generation can rise. Both generations can co-exist at the same time.

You don't see people saying Beyonce/Britney/Rihanna/P!nk are being taken over by Ariana/Taylor/Adele and that the downfall of those previous artists bring about the rise of the new generation

yaaas say it icyyy :pepe-cowboy:

• I personally don't like this "generation" thing that k-pop has tbh. It is a very vague concept.

I would say it should be only 'current' and 'all time' or just specify the year or the decade you're talking about rather than "generation". I mean atleast I do that and will continue to do so. Because that's a very confusing thing k-pop has "invented".

• yeah new generation used to just mean when the old most popular groups are superseded by new ones in terms of popularity, but obviously no one's going to surpass BTS for a looong time if ever. So that kind of made all "generation" designations meaningless, especially with 4th gen. Like what is the cutoff for 4th gen anyways?

it isn't only BTS. most if not all 3rd generation top groups are still outdoing all the so called 4th generation groups in almost all metrics.

NCT Dream, a group that debuted in 2016, has just tripled their sales and become the 3rd double million seller in kpop. Psycho and HYLT, 2 songs by GGs that debuted in 2014 and 2016 respectively are 2 of the biggest GG songs in the past 2 years. Twice still outsells all of the so-called 4th generation GGs, same for EXO and Seventeen with BGs. It's a whole bunch og 3rd generation groups that still havn't even peaked, not only BTS.

• Mm I would say we are in the beginnings of 4th generation. Yeah no one is the leader yet but that doesn't mean the 4th generation hasn't started yet.

Generations are more than just sales and numbers. It's also a difference in music sound.

Arguably the music between 2nd gen groups (SNSD, Wonder Girls, T-ara, Big Bang, Infinite, etc) is different than the sound of 3rd gen (Twice, BTS, Oh my Girl, EXO, etc)

And I find the sounds of this new gen (AESPA, ITZY, GIDLE, etc) to be different from 3rd gen peak sound.

Also if we go by your logic, then Twice and EXO and BTS and Blackpink would all be 2nd gen via debut date since in their debut dates, SNSD and Big Bang were still considered the top groups to beat (aka 2nd gen).

Someone can't just jump from one generation to the next based on their success.

That would mean Brave Girls and Oh My Girl are 4th gen groups then since their success only started recently even though they both debuted in the 2.5 gen and 3rd gen era respectively.

~ ω

• i personally think its more than fair to say 4th gen started in 2019 with txt and itzy's debut. there was a shift at that point in time. yeah, its still twice bp and bts' era, but those two groups are going to be at the top for years to come if they don't disband regardless, especially bc of the overall decline of kpop in korea despite the increase in physical sales from overseas fans. the difference about tvxq and big bangs "fall from grace" was general inactivity that resulted in an open space that exo slipped into at the time. and even then exo never quite beat either group in digital metrics of their time.

i can't stand it when people try to say 4th gen started any earlier than 2018 just so they can lump their groups in with 4th gen for the stats tho.

who's your favorite artist?

• While I do understand your point I don't think 4th gen should wait or overcome the previous one. They are new and being new is what make them a new gen. Sure they aren't on pair with the previous ones, but their time will come. I don't see the necessity to remind everyone of who are the real leaders bc kpop stopped being a gen thing and they are just a genre music which BTS leads by a mile and BP comes to expand this mile, but others groups can coexist and just break their own records and be successful without being compared to the "leaders" or whatever people call kkkk.

Kpop was generation when was normal to groups to disband within 7/10 years, but this isn't the case anymore.

• it doesn't matter when they debuted, what matters is they were the top players so their era was a new generation

I take all my understanding of generations from One Piece. :pepe-legs::pepe-use-head:

Did Luffy/Law/Kid surpass Bigmom/Kaido? No.

Did the new generation start? Yes.

this defeated the hell out of me :pepe-sad:

• I think the concept of generation doesn't revolve only around who's ruling the scene.

K-pop experienced a global breakthrough in 2018 (roughly) so the term 4th gen has been coined to label these newer groups who emerged at that time and who (supposedly) were the first ones to benefit from the global expansion (besides those who PAVED THE WAY™ obviously).

As said above, a new generation can also be identified because of a noticeable stylistic change in music and/or concept.

But at the end of the day, it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

• While I do understand your point I don't think 4th gen should wait or overcome the previous one. They are new and being new is what make them a new gen. Sure they aren't on pair with the previous ones, but their time will come. I don't see the necessity to remind everyone of who are the real leaders bc kpop stopped being a gen thing and they are just a genre music which BTS leads by a mile and BP comes to expand this mile, but others groups can coexist and just break their own records and be successful without being compared to the "leaders" or whatever people call kkkk.

Kpop was generation when was normal to groups to disband within 7/10 years, but this isn't the case anymore.

that's why we should maybe stop enforcing this generation concept on kpop.

being new doesn't necessarily mean a new generation. for example, EXO debuted in 2012 and NCT in 2016 but they are both considered from the 3rd generation. that's even longer than the time between, let's say NCT and the supposed cutoff of the 4th generation.

• tbh, waiting for a new generation to outdo an older generation is stupid. If take that to heart then we will have to wait for someone to beat the Beatles 20 #1s and no one has done it so it must still be Beatles era.

Mariah Carey has 19 No.1s, we just need 1 more from her so that we can shift to a new generation

:pepe-excited::pepe-excited::pepe-excited::pepe-excited:

• tbh, waiting for a new generation to outdo an older generation is stupid. If take that to heart then we will have to wait for someone to beat the Beatles 20 #1s and no one has done it so it must still be Beatles era.

for the 3rd time, it is not just one group, it is a bunch of 3rd generation groups that haven't peaked yet and are no where near being matched or surpassed by newer groups.

why does there HAVE to be a new generation? aside from giving fans of newer groups an opportunity to assign their faborite groups titles that wouldn't otherwise belong to them, what does it mean exactly?

• that's why we should maybe stop enforcing this generation concept on kpop.

being new doesn't necessarily mean a new generation. for example, EXO debuted in 2012 and NCT in 2016 but they are both considered from the 3rd generation. that's even longer than the time between, let's say NCT and the supposed cutoff of the 4th generation.

True, but I think this gen thing is more to recognize golden eras tbh..

• Stan Brave Girls, that debut in 2nd Generation, line up change in the 3rd Generation, that became NGG in the 4th Generation

We stan a group that transcends 3 generations

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i don't know tbh, i only see i-fans take this too seriously

personally I don't really care...somebody said it was the fourth so given that I'm relatively new to kpop i went with it...

if the majority suddenly said it's still the third then the third it is!!!! lol

• it doesn't matter when they debuted, what matters is they were the top players so their era was a new generation

this defeated the hell out of me :pepe-sad:

So then let's say SNSD makes a comeback as OT9 which arguably would BREAK RECORDS in Korea. Would they be considered 4th generation if they beat numbers and records for Blackpink/TWICE?

You can't really do it via success. Because then you're saying Oh My Girl who has been in the K-Pop scene since 2015 is 4th generation or that Brave Girls (originally debuted 2011, current team in 2015) is 4th generation since Rollin' has broken an immense amount of records.

So you're saying a 10 year old group is 4th gen?

~ ω

• for the 3rd time, it is not just one group, it is a bunch of 3rd generation groups that haven't peaked yet and are no where near being matched or surpassed by newer groups.

why does there HAVE to be a new generation? aside from giving fans of newer groups an opportunity to assign their faborite groups titles that wouldn't otherwise belong to them, what does it mean exactly?

Well Aespa as of right now is outdoing some 3rd gen groups on charts...........................................

Also, I think we can see the changes of 4th gen. 4th gen is different from 3rd gen and it pretty obvious.

It we take the whole 3rd gen groups that haven't peak yet narrative being surpassed narrative it is going to be complicated. There are plenty of 2nd gen groups that outdid some 3rd gen groups. Does that mean it is not different generations? Plus, it is not something to be pressed about, it is just a way of categorizing groups. Just label it a gen and leave it like that. No big deal

• lots of people hate treasure

Even some people blaming treasure for their company's mismanagement... i also came across people who said it is okay to hate on them because they are "men"

• how many times does it have to be explained that generations have nothing to do with sales and charts.. It's about music style, concepts, age of members, shift into the groups focusing on international market rather than domestic and etc and etc. That's just like having a generation for people - generation Y, generation Z, generation Alpha.. Following your logic, no new generation of people can exist until all the people from the previous generation died

• So then let's say SNSD makes a comeback as OT9 which arguably would BREAK RECORDS in Korea. Would they be considered 4th generation if they beat numbers and records for Blackpink/TWICE?

it is not a matter of 1 or 2 groups, i have already said this several times. if it is one group, it can be called an anomaly. look at how Big Bang still killed it in 2015 but no one called them 3rd generation or doubted that we were still the 2nd generation.

in comparison, most if not all top 3rd generation groups haven't been outdone yet, most of them haven't even peaked yet. Forget about BTS and Blackpink, did any group that debuted in the past 2 or 3 years match the success and numbers of EXO, Twice, RV, Mamamoo, NCT, Seventeen? NCT and Seventeen have yet to peak even. so, it looks to me like the whole landscape of the 3rd generation is still the same. this is like when SHINee, MissA, 2ne1, f(x), Infinite, B2st happened. they were successful but they didn't end the 2nd generation and start a new one, they strengthened the 2nd generation.

You can't really do it via success. Because then you're saying Oh My Girl who has been in the K-Pop scene since 2015 is 4th generation or that Brave Girls (originally debuted 2011, current team in 2015) is 4th generation since Rollin' has broken an immense amount of records.

So you're saying a 10 year old group is 4th gen?

no, this only further supports my point that we're still in the 3rd generation lol.

• The problem is there is no shift or impact from new groups. Look at USA music scene. Girls like olivia and Billie eilish who r smashing and very popular. They signify a change and their impact can be felt. Most older pop girls r fading.

Last year OMG become more popular than any 4th gen gg.

Selling a few copies of album than some older 3rd gen groups isn't enough. That imapctful group hasn't yet arrived.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• how many times does it have to be explained that generations have nothing to do with sales and charts.. It's about music style, concepts, age of members, shift into the groups focusing on international market rather than domestic and etc and etc. That's just like having a generation for people - generation Y, generation Z, generation Alpha.. Following your logic, no new generation of people can exist until all the people from the previous generation died

i don't even see a major shift in music style. many nnewer groups are obviously and heavily influenced by groups like NCT and BlackPink.

i find your comment about idols' age hilarious. everytime someone tries to argue that NCT Dream is 4th generation because the members are around the same age as groups that debuted in 2018 and 2019, everyone says gEnErAtIoNs ArE nOt AbOuT aGe. so i guess this is just a convenient argument that keeps changing according to circumstances.

• The problem is there is no shift or impact from new groups. Look at USA music scene. Girls like olivia and Billie eilish who r smashing and very popular. They signify a change and their impact can be felt. Most older pop girls r fading.

Last year OMG become more popular than any 4th gen gg.

Selling a few copies of album than some older 3rd gen groups isn't enough. That imapctful group hasn't yet arrived.

exactly!

and it isn't just about impact, some people in this thread are talking about a change in music style and concepts but where is it exactly? i don't feel it. groups as new as 2021 are still debuting with obvious inspirations and influence from popular 3rd generation groups. there is no new group that debuted with a unique and impactful enough sound to influence their peers.

• Seventeen and nct will be matched or surpassed easily by 4th gen. So I wouldn’t include them here. Because the only thing there is physical album sales. Which is a matter of when and not if. SKZ and TXT are already doing better than nct and 17 in international streaming and this will continue to grow.

The only place where there is a true gap is only in Korean digitals. I know 17 and nct have marginally respectable digitals but I don’t think this is a great barrier and give it a few comebacks eventually 4th gen will get there too.

Bottom line : other than Korean charting and if we consider BTS an out lier all other 3rd gen groups and I’m including exo here will be matched eventually and easily.

Touring will be a great indicator but well we’ll have to wait to see how that goes.

• and i am saying 4th generation will start when that eventually happens. as of right now, the kpop landscape isn't changed enough to speak of a new generation.

• Official Post

I still don't understand the argument that the music changed.

I'm more familiar with boy groups but I've seen two arguments.

First is that heavy, noisy, rap based music that came up with Stray Kids and Ateez are what marked the 4th gen, but that's literally how 3rd gen groups were debuting too. BTS, Monsta X, B.A.P, NCT 127 were all doing that kind of music.

Second is that cute, fresh, pop music that came up with TXT is what marked the 4th gen, but again 3rd gen groups like Seventeen, Astro, NCT Dream, Golden Child were doing that.

I just don't see a big enough shift to say "this is definitely different" the same way you could with 3rd gen looking back. It's why I feel many people are confused about EXO and Nu'est because they were basically blending 2nd and 3rd gen ideas together in their early years. (imo their music leaned more toward 2nd gen but they definitely had the edgier looks that came with 3rd gen.)

It's very possible that younger groups are blending 3rd gen ideas with 4th gen ideas, but until we get further into it and let those ideas emerge all the arguing is pointless.

Just let these groups build. Let them develop their skills and discover their sound. There's gonna be plenty of time to argue about their success over the next decade.

• This thread contains 31 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!