The irony of IU becoming a Kpop star after spending 10 years contributing NOTHING to KPop

• I don't remember IU being such a big deal during 2nd gen even if she was popular

i remember seing her on the show heroes when she was still a baby singing marshmallow

I feel like her career really flowerish since 2014

Did you miss "Good Day" in 2010 and "You & I" in 2011? "You &I" is still the most downloaded song in Gaon history, I believe, and "Good Day" was routinely named one of the songs of the decade for the 2010s.

Her entire career is full of irony, but the biggest irony is while other acts sweated and suffered in the overseas when KPop was growing she sat comfortably in Seoul to build her base

She flew to China every weekend for 8 weeks in 2016 to hold fanmeets and mini-concerts lol, how else do you think she managed to build such a robust Chinese fanbase.

• I don't remember IU being such a big deal during 2nd gen even if she was popular

i remember seing her on the show heroes when she was still a baby singing marshmallow

I feel like her career really flowerish since 2014

nahhh she blew up before 2014.

2010 was her blow up year with Good Day and she was EVERYWHERE. From music shows to variety like Running Man!

• nahhh she blew up before 2014.

2010 was her blow up year with Good Day and she was EVERYWHERE. From music shows to variety like Running Man!

like i said she was popular and i know good day was her hit song

Good day spent 5 weeks at n1 on Gaon digital

but what i mean is even if she was really popular

it's not until 2014 that she really become this monstruous digital artist

who have songs charting directly at No1 and staying number 1 weeks and weeks

𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔤𝔬𝔱𝔱𝔞 𝔟𝔢 𝔟𝔬𝔩𝔡 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔧𝔲𝔰𝔱 𝔯𝔬𝔠𝔨 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡

#irene from myjoys #aespa from ♡ æspa ♡ #irene from on the ground #aespa from ♡ æspa ♡

• WhyKnock Weren't you crying weeks ago about how "Lilac" would be the beginning of IU's Korean decline

Meanwhile, "Lilac" has 265 PAKs so far and it's still sitting on top of the charts after 3 weeks :cryingr:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Your posts are always enjoyable to read lmao

I kind of disagree. Good day blew up in a time where a majority of KPOP(since that was the dominant genre) releases were EDM and noise heavy. She also made ballads trendy again, I'd even say she's one of the main reasons why ballads are so popular in Korea. That's enough impact for me.

Her international relevancy is just a result of the Hallyu Wave and her dramas. IU was decently popular in China(with her fanmeets, collab with GD, dramas and stuff), but Hotel del Luna is what ultimately catapulted her success and popularity over there. Indirect promo(with the way idols mention her 24/7) is also telling of her impact in the industry.

Honestly the way HYBE is blowing up, i feel like IU is the only champion we have to defend the rest of the Korean pop music industry from being swallowed up by HYBE aka as the Evil Empire. She is our Luke Skywalker, our Rey.

nnnn you're better than OP at these conspiracy theories :cryingr:

• like i said she was popular and i know good day was her hit song

Good day spent 5 weeks at n1 on Gaon digital

but what i mean is even if she was really popular

it's not until 2014 that she really become this monstruous digital artist

who have songs charting directly at No1 and staying number 1 weeks and weeks

Last Fantasy is the most digitally downloaded album in Gaon history and she's been getting PAKs every year since 2010 (except for 2016 when she didn't release any songs). But I agree that 2014 was the start of her 2nd career peak and it marked a transition in her career where she switched from being a popular trendy idol (2010-2013) to established powerhouse (2014 to now).

• I wouldn't phrase it like you've done as it's more that IU's management over the years has been incredibly smart.

She has some of the best management/strategists in SK that utilise her abilities so well. Took over Korea with her vocals/signwriting/music. Took over pan-asia through k-dramas (Scarlet Heart being the major breakout drama for her in Pan-asia is a tragedy though). Collabed with the biggest 2nd gen male star in G-Dragon (also the biggest kpop artists in China at the time) further helping her get her name out all over Asia. More kdramas. With kpop being the biggest it has ever been in the world collabed with a BTS member that has made her popular/got her known well even outside of Asia. Her music also evolves with popular sounds so she jumps on trends when needed.

When you think about how her and her team go about business it's not surprising her longevity is crazy and still growing more than 10 years later. She utilises her skillset to the fullest and makes smart promo decisions. Popular kdramas will make her music more popular and vice versa.

Before Eight I don't think I'd ever seen a IU video trend on Youtube in the UK, since then pretty much all her MV's have. Her spotify numbers are bigger. She feels much bigger than Taeyeon worldwide nowadays.

• Before Eight I don't think I'd ever seen a IU video trend on Youtube in the UK, since then pretty much all her MV's have. Her spotify numbers are bigger. She feels much bigger than Taeyeon worldwide nowadays.

Her international growth really blew up starting in 2019 with Hotel del luna - her instagram followers and youtube subscribers grew like crazy after that drama started airing in SEA/other parts of Asia. Within 1 year she passed Suzy and Taeyeon on social media and still has crazy growth.

• As someone who loves IU's visuals and acting (i've only seen Hotel Del Luna, but that was enough, i couldnt believe how good she was), i was never that fond of IU's music until Eight came along. Into the Iland and Celebrity were also fantastic. I didnt like Lilac or Coin as much but overall, watching her do Kpop choreo and have dance breaks is super endearing for some reason. Just cute af.

Honestly the way HYBE is blowing up, i feel like IU is the only champion we have to defend the rest of the Korean pop music industry from being swallowed up by HYBE aka as the Evil Empire. She is our Luke Skywalker, our Rey.

Lol, Pretty sure HYBE is going to be like all the other Big 3, except there is a huge difference. They give all of their artists frequent comebacks.

• As someone who loves IU's visuals and acting (i've only seen Hotel Del Luna, but that was enough, i couldnt believe how good she was), i was never that fond of IU's music until Eight came along. Into the Iland and Celebrity were also fantastic. I didnt like Lilac or Coin as much but overall, watching her do Kpop choreo and have dance breaks is super endearing for some reason. Just cute af.

You're gonna have to go back and watch her in Dream High if you want a super throwback for her acting.

She's charming in it.

• You are really.... Your post is full of praises towards IU and then you finish with: weeeel, after all of these years of her surpassing everyones faves she is still here, but guess what? Yeah, no contribuition.... :clown:

People forget that the most important contribuition an singer can give are their feelings. And she did, she is the number1 in S.K. for years bc people always feel connect to her and her artistic side, she is amazing! And yes, she did contributed to kpop as a whole, her music was and is the inspiration to a lot of idols! Respect the queen!

𝕎𝕖𝕝𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕃𝕚𝕤𝕒 𝕨𝕠𝕣𝕝𝕕!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!