Shakatak Demands Compensation for Alleged Plagiarism by NewJeans’ Bubble Gum

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

British band Shakatak has accused K-pop group NewJeans of plagiarism, demanding they cease using the song “Bubble Gum” and seek damages.

Shakatak’s management recently enlisted a law firm to send a notice to NewJeans’ agency, ADOR, asserting that “Bubble Gum” plagiarizes their song “Easier Said Than Done.” In response, ADOR stated, “We have never used the song without permission.”

According to Munhwa Ilbo, Wise Music Group, Shakatak’s music rights holder, sent an official letter of claim in mid-June to ADOR, their parent company HYBE, the Korea Music Copyright Association, and Sony Music Publishing Hong Kong Limited (Korea branch), among others.

The law firm representing Wise Music Group explained, “On behalf of Wise Music Group, we confirm that ‘Bubble Gum,’ written by 250, Oscar Bell, Sophie Simmons, and Gigi, and recorded by NewJeans, has infringed on the copyright of ‘Easier Said Than Done.’ We request immediate cessation of use and further actions.”

They further demanded, “Please confirm and adhere to the requirements, including the cessation of use, reporting of profits, change of rights holder, written assurance, and damages within seven days, and notify Wise Music Group directly.”

Shakatak cited several reasons for their claim of unauthorized use: same distinctive melodic hook, similar instrumentation, similar rhythmic shapes, performed at almost identical tempo, very similar choice of harmony, and similar harmonic rhythm.

In response, ADOR acknowledged the receipt of the notice on June 17th and replied through their legal team on June 21st, stating, “We did not use Shakatak’s composition without permission and requested an authoritative analysis report. Although Shakatak promised to provide a report, we have yet to receive it. The claimant must send a report proving plagiarism, and Shakatak needs to respond to this.”

Munhwa Ilbo contacted the law firm representing Shakatak for their response to ADOR’s statement but has not yet received a reply.

The controversy began right after NewJeans released the music video for “Bubble Gum” on April 27th. Following its release, accusations of similarity to “Easier Said Than Done” surfaced, with Shakatak responding on their official account, “We’ll look into this. It is v similar.”

cr. Shakatak Demands Compensation for Alleged Plagiarism by NewJeans’ ‘Bubble Gum’ (terkepop.com)

• External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The compensation for the plagiarism better be in the millions, no free walks, so let them pay up to the original artist's hard work. MHJ & Co should be embarrassed for claiming to be so original.

:dimdone:

• 'same distinctive melodic hook, similar instrumentation, similar rhythmic shapes, performed at almost identical tempo, very similar choice of harmony, and similar harmonic rhythm'

Many songs sound similar to each other. You can literally look at any genre in any country and culture and see many similarities. How often have we sat down somewhere, heard a song in public and went: 'This song reminds me of another song'. That still isn't plagiarism. By that logic every artist should sue each other.

Besides the similar rhythm of their singing I don't hear any resemblance. Shakatak's case seems weak for this as of now

• 'same distinctive melodic hook, similar instrumentation, similar rhythmic shapes, performed at almost identical tempo, very similar choice of harmony, and similar harmonic rhythm'

Many songs sound similar to each other. You can literally look at any genre in any country and culture and see many similarities. How often have we sat down somewhere, heard a song in public and went: 'This song reminds me of another song'. That still isn't plagiarism. By that logic every artist should sue each other.

Besides the similar rhythm of their singing I don't hear any resemblance. Shakatak's case seems weak for this as of now

Some songs are similar, but this is exactly the same but higher by a couple of semi-tones.

What the bet that the Ador Hybe board settle for the minimal amount needed to fire MHJ and take back her shares?

Wut? The chorus melody progression is identical.

ETA: I've always been one to place a high standard on proving "plagiarism". There are only so many notes and non dissonant chords and progressions in pop music. With literally billions of songs in existence there is no doubt that every melody has been done dozens, if not hundreds of times before.

My only beef here is hypocrisy. MHJ went on a rampage accusing others of plagiarism that was much less obvious, while here we have a clearcut case of identical note progression. Similar to how MHJ stole some of the visual concepts from the Mexican GG and the Japanese GG Speed.

• MUSE BY JIMIN 07. 19. 24 ⁷ on X:

lol

How Sweat had some plagiarism claims too...

External Content www.youtube.com

• We all knew the first time we heard both songs that it was very similar

But i never expected them to sue Nj and Ador

CUz usually this accussations go nowhere and both artist just move on

I think Shakatak case is pretty solid, anybody with 2 ears and isn't biased as hell can heard that the 2 songs sounds very very similar to each other

Ador have been accuse of "sampling" a lot of music lately with NJ last era i wonder if Shakatak actions will motivate other artist to do the same

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

• By far my least favourite song out of the 4 nj released this year lol if they had to plagiarise from somewhere why couldn’t they at least copy sth better :ellodarkness::meme-explaining:

• This might not be an popular opinion, but I believe all this criticism about plagiarism is an overreaction.

Music is meant to influence and inspire. There is no such thing as completely original music. Eventually, you're going to learn a melody somewhere and have it stored at the back of your head subconsciously. When you create your own work, it could possibly come out without you even realizing it.

One example is that a lot of songs use the same four-chord progression. Maybe it just an enjoyable chord progression that's simple to work with, so a lot of artists use it.

Even if "Easier Said The Done" inspired "Bubblegum" it still has its own unique features. It's not a direct copy.

Fixating on plagiarism is detrimental to K-pop. It causes stans to use "plagiarism" as a weapon to bash groups and constantly be on searching for any sign of "copying," whether it's dance, tunes, or costumes. And in return, people try to protect their faves by portraying them as wonderfully unique individuals who never got influenced by anyone else ever. As a compliment, you could compare an idol to a legend like Whitney and there would still be K-pop fans getting weird and being angsty about it.

• This fixation on plagiarism is detrimental to K-pop

That was the whole point of BELIFTs video: "Coincidences and inspiration are bound to happen in kpop music and choreos and that cant be called plagiarism, MHJ fixation on plagiarism is detrimental to kpop"

We all know who opened this can of worms

• I call it b*llshit, just another hybe machination to sully NJs brand. Maybe they even paid shakatak to bully ador.

After all isn't it that seoulite hybe trashbag that contacted them first lol.

So freaking obvious.

Hybe please kindly go burn in hell.

• Regardless whether the song is similar or not

I just find it funny that MHJ is asking proof of plagiarism when she herself did not prove shit for her own allegations against IllEat

How are these the same things 😭

Like even in hating MHJ there should be a shred of brain used.

In your hatered of MHJ you’ve lost the ability to use braincells.

• also why does this one month old 'plagiarism' issue is released in the press right now? just after tws plagiarism controversy got bigger and hybe took down all the articles about it.

Lol. Im pretty sure that the real serious one. And BB should really sue hybe's ass. They would probably win btw.

(While ador is still waiting for any serious response from shakatk about their case.)

Pff. Projection, diversion, plagiarism, harrassement , boundless greed that's all hybe is good for.

• Normally I would agree, as long as its not a blatant 100% copy.

However how ironic would it be, if the person criticizing other 5 other groups of plagiarism in public and causing significant damage to them, gets fired and loses $75 million USD in shares for plagiarism.

• I wonder what the musician/artist who spends hours making that song would say about your take.

I think every claim should be taken seriously and dealt with legally (artist to artist). The results will speak for themselves.

Ignoring plagiarism claims is what's detrimental, give these bigger agency an inch and they will take a mile. HYBE alone has multiple cases of plagiarism this year, what kind of example does it set if they get away? It's predatory esp when the other part is relatively unknown/not able to afford legal fees.

As far as it goes for fans, I don't care about fandom personal opinion on anything related to it, sure they can point it out but that's about it. They will find any argument/counterargument to hate/love idols, their opinion doesn't matter. They can hate idols for eating strawberry with two hands so yeah that's their baseline.

• Are you superyeah alt?? :pepe-magnify:

• Yeah and no. Music is art and original creators should have the right to be credited for their own works. This is an insane take.

• The shameless hybe stans in this thread trying to criticize this issue while completely ignoring TWSxBB when even the video is way too similar to call it just an inspiration :boompepe:

:meme-pot-kettle:

𝕃𝕚𝕤𝕒 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝔹𝕃𝔸ℂ𝕂ℙ𝕀ℕ𝕂

• “We did not use Shakatak’s composition without permission and requested an authoritative analysis report. Although Shakatak promised to provide a report, we have yet to receive it. The claimant must send a report proving plagiarism, and Shakatak needs to respond to this.”

Seems that Ador claimed it is indeed shakatak song but they refute it was used without permission. Not sure with this translation, but from other translation Ador request credible analysis report. So, Shakatak haven't provided report that support that it can be categorized as plagiarism. Maybe they claimed only based on that selulite guy (the disgusting army as well as human being) :pepepizza: .

And yeah, of course it's the same chorus, no doubt. Shakatak need to check where they sold their sample, cause this song also sampled by Japanese boygroup without credited them. And apparently several other songs also sample easier than done. It's old song anyway.

• Exacly.

Just another hybe filthy move.

• They still have that one member of Jeans that did not support MHJ copying her original group (she has the copyrights to the original Jeans IP) and there is still another song they are being accused of plagerizing (don't remember what it was called) that can still rear it's head.

One of the many legal issues she is facing will stick just need to see which one. All we need now is BigHit suing Ador. After her texts revealing to finish what SM started in destroying BTS, there is no way they will remain silent to that.

• So many articles. The irony.

GSwGU_zX0BE-Woq?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

You actually don't know what irony is, which surprises no one.

I wonder who pulled the lever on releasing all this negative media play, right after it was announced NewJeans will be performing during the halftime of a friendly soccer match.

I know you're desperately clinging to anything that could take NewJeans down, but it's not going to work.

They're too popular and too beloved by the public to fail through these filthy schemes, and the sooner HYBE realizes that, the sooner they'll stop being the most shameful losers in the industry.

• This thread contains 88 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!