Why isn't Red Velvet charting so well?

• I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Cosmic but it's just 66 on Melon and decreasing even after promotions. Many people have said its their best song since Psycho. Company stan streaming is a big factor towards charting. Are they simply foregoing streaming Cosmic because streaming Aespa is more important to them?

• All their fans have grown up and left the building.

Too be honest, Red Velvet is kind of... .boring group? They have some good or oven great songs, some okay songs. But the group feels a bit boring today? or? It's a bit like Twice, if you not are super fan it's hard to get super excited over them today.

• no hit girl anymore.

and too many flop past tracks like birthday and chill kill. it literally killed all hype for the group and their music. sadly.

2 major flops were too much for a +7years old group.

feel my rythme did well because it's a good song yes but also because despite irene hype being dead, Joy went viral during her part.

but today, no rv memeber is trending or anything... so that's why such a good song like cosmic is being ignored.

• Probably their recent songs kind of gave the same feeling?

It's kind of like with Queendom they've started certain line of songs, even Chill Kill if you play it between Feel My Rhythm, and Cosmic you can think: "Oh it's same group, or oh they went with certain concept for this album..."

But the problem is that time flies and if one after another song sounds too similar to previous one, it creates that downgrade ratio which at the end of the day makes it boring...

Also one thing worth noticing is that Red Velvet has 242k followers/subscribers on Melon. It's the highest number from all girl groups, only Blackpink is close with 240k.

I don't know how it is now but in the past you got notification when your favs released song, so I think that without this and without so many people following RV song wouldn't even be in top 100.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Even if the song has good critical consensus RV is still a senior group past their prime, it would take a majorly catchy song with some sort of viral moment in order for them to get a hit at this stage

🍒 Chee~eer~ish 🍒

314f6d45bba4af73b4a09fde553ceeb7fefb3df2.gifv

• All their fans have grown up and left the building.

Too be honest, Red Velvet is kind of... .boring group? They have some good or oven great songs, some okay songs. But the group feels a bit boring today? or? It's a bit like Twice, if you not are super fan it's hard to get super excited over them today.

If you're not a Red Velvet fan, stop talking, because you don't know anything. The only reason they're still in the TOP100 on Melon because of the fans!

I don't get why people are whining about chart every day, especially when it's about a 10 YEAR old group. The fact that they can still chart in the TOP100 is a massive achievement!

Also, it's not like SME doing anything to promote them. I could do 10x better job. Anyone could. Most groups only dream about having a 7 year long successful career, let alone 10+.

• It's probably a combination of factors, like with everything.

I don't think that 'company stan streaming' like the OP mentions (the name's different, but is that the same Irene obsessed poster of years ago?) makes that much of a difference unless maybe on the smallest platforms, the very simple and common sense argument against that is that if that were the case, the biggest K-charting hits would always be boy groups and Big 4 groups.

I do think that it matters how aware of and interested in the general (music listening) public is of a group and their comeback. Promotion - by the company and/or (accidental) viral hits - can help with this, to a degree. Also how previous songs did with the public has positive/negative influence.

As for Cosmic, it started high (but not super high) which seems to point to some interest with the gp, but the song itself apparently wasn't strong/catchy/earworm enough to carry it further and higher after the initial first listens with Koreans :/

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• song is boring, concept has zero creativity and members are unrecognizable

I agree that not much effort was put into this comback :thumbup:. Of course it impacted the charting as well.

Now i don't think Cosmic is a great song and lacks a bit of complexity but it's honestly good and fits the season.

But a good song just isn't enough.

• If I were to be completely honest, I think Birthday and Chill Kill were very subpar songs that didnt land with most people, and killed the hype surrounding them.

Cosmic is good but fell victim to that said lack of hype.

• With Twice falling away, BP and Mamamoo basically disbanding, there are only two 3rd gen GGs left that can chart even top 50.

Red Velvet and Oh My Girl.

Both are 9-11 year old groups. The only group i know that can still chart top 5 after 9+ years is Bigbang. BTS will join this club in 2025. But who else have done it?

You're asking a lot to expect RV to chart like they did in the past. Even getting consistent top 20 hits would be a miracle.

• It doesn’t matter how good the song is or how talented you are, once you’re past a certain age as a group the general public lose interest. That leaves fan streaming and I don’t think RV ever had a huge fan base (that weren’t SM stans) in the first place. The SM stans will have moved on to Aespa.

The fact that they can still chart in the top 100 is testament to the respect they still have with the GP and their residual fandom.

Another factor is that once a big company has debuted a younger girl group, they will be given the best songs and producers and any older groups will be given the leftovers. You would only avoid this if you wrote your own songs. Given that SM are going to debut another younger girl group soon, it doesn’t look good for RV to ever get a hit again.

• Another factor is that once a big company has debuted a younger girl group, they will be given the best songs and producers and any older groups will be given the leftovers.

Cosmic is produced by the guys who produced peek a boo .So they still getting songs from the producer that used to work from them before aespa debuted.

• I think similar to TWICE, they have walked past the 3rd gen time so they are most likely getting less hype.

However, I think if Reveluvs are enjoying their content and waiting for them to just appear is already happy enough, like us Onces right now, I think we can all enjoy the music.

I loved I Got You and One Spark but they haven't done as well and that's okay.

:iloveyoub: BRIGHTWIN FOREVER :iloveyoub: SARAWATTINE FOREVER :iloveyoub: 2GETHER FOREVER :iloveyoub: 

Bom tấn đam mỹ 2gether "đánh úp" bản điện ảnh, cặp BrightWin sắp sửa cưới  nhau hoành tráng?

• It's just age.

Historically, girl groups don't chart well 1 generation past, and currently were almost 2 generation past already.

It's just normal. The fans of that era would had been at different points in their lives from the start. Streaming requires free time to repetitively restream a song, as fans get older and get jobs and go to college, the streaming potential drop off. The rate of acquisition of new fans will usually not outpace the rate of fan drop off, let alone keep up with 4th-5th gen group, specifically for South Korea.

Most people haven't really realize this because most 3rd gen group has been disbanded or inactive so there's not much example. But as time goes by, fans will realizing the importance of age and how how much truly affects things like this.

Let me remind you, RV debut in 2014. That's a 10 year window. 10 years is the difference between elementary school to college. It's the difference between college to starting a family. These are major milestones in peoples lives. When I went to college, I didn't listen to any of the stuff I did in elementary school.

• The GP is necessary to chart well, Reveluvs can carry Red velvet in the chart just to some extent

But the GP care more about what's trendy and new that's why 4th gen and 5th gen are taking by storm the chart

And red velvet is an old group who celebrated their 10th anniversary this year, they are no longer the go-to group of the GP even if they release bops

#66 might not be extraordinnary for a GG when you compare it to other girlgroup charting right now

But when you compare it to their peers of 3th gen, it's a very good charting, it makes of Red velvet the best 3rd gen charting group behind BTS and BP

So it's pretty not bad

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

• . The only group i know that can still chart top 5 after 9+ years is Bigbang. BTS will join this club in 2025. But who else have done it

SNSD with Forever 1 peaked at #5 on melon during their 15th year

Another factor is that once a big company has debuted a younger girl group, they will be given the best songs and producers and any older groups will be given the leftovers. You would only avoid this if you wrote your own songs. Given that SM are going to debut another younger girl group soon, it doesn’t look good for RV to ever get a hit again

People who say this are clearly people who never understood Red velvet sound

Red velvet main point wasn't to always makes a hit but to make their own sound and have a clear image

If their goal was only having top hit they would have never release a song like zimzalabim that they knew would have very different reactions

And actually Red velvet is currently surfing on the same sound that they did before Aespa debut

Everything that they released for the past 5 years is consistent

Psycho, feel my rythm, cosmic all have this dreamy vibe

That red velvet have been exploring since Psycho

Also how SM can give the "best song" to aespa when aespa and Red velvet sound is very very different from each other

I swear people are obsess with trying to pit women against other women

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!