How did MAMAMOO lost so much popularity domestically?

• They are one of 3rd gen digital monster, a hit-makers and gp favourite. Theyre constantly releasing hit song since 2015 and never failed to deliver with their flawless discography. But things went downhill on 2021 when they suddenly lost their gp power without any obvious reason.. Theyre doing just fine and one second suddenly theyre barely charting on the Top. Theres no sudden concept change, no big scandal, Hwasa was still 3rd gen it girls but somehow they lost their digital charting power just like that after Dingga and till these day. Their latest comeback was a banger but sadly it barely getting any attention from gp.

In your opinion, why did their lost their domestic popularity that much?

• I ain't reading all that.

You trying to start a fight, ggstan? This isn't rocket science.

They had a period where they released practically no music as a group for over a year, focusing on their individual schedules. Plus the pandemic destroyed their plans for a world tour that year, which I speculated at the time and they later confirmed during their tour this year. There was also the news of Wheein not renewing for her solo activities, which some people used to inaccurately conclude they were disbanding.

All of this happened right when the 4th gen BOOM occurred too. So it was the perfect storm for them to lose their momentum with the public.

But whatever. They're turning a decade old this year and living their best lives. Considering where they started and their legacies today, not to mention each member being able to promote how they want when they want, I'm not upset.

Mamamoo worked harder than any group to build their popularity up. They have earned the opportunity to coast now.

• For me, the songs! Their agency doesn’t have the ability to keep cranking out quality hits. They need to outsource some production..like 2-4 songs per drop depending on mini or full album.

• Releasing bad music. They could never live up to the hype of HIP.

I won't stand for this dingga slander

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It charted well btw ;judgingpepe:

Not like chart topping but top 20 melon daily at least.

Then after that they just became a lot less active as a full group and will be going forward, compared to the old days :drinktears::pepe-sad::pepe-puddle:

• I totally forget this song existed... ;(;(;(

After this song, it all went downhill :exit-pepe:

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• hey I liked this song

• I'm getting deja vu... Oh right:

• I'm getting deja vu... Oh right:

im trying to collect akorn as much as possible :clown:

• They reduced their promotions.

They and gidle use to really work the domestic festivals, and in that way you build up a big domestic fanbase. The fanbase becomes so big, it literally guarantees that you get #1 even if a song is trash.

Its totally different now, because the big money is in overseas concerts, so I can see future groups just even bypassing promoting in Korea all together.

• because of mamamoo we've got this

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:twerkingpepe:

LONG LIVE HIP

• I call it the Sudden Waterfall. It's like these older GGs just coasting along, enjoying the calm, placid river waters, and then suddenly, without warning, the water turns rough, they get slammed into the banks and lose their oars, and then they are sent tumbling down the rapids and over the falls... ;(;(;( .

Happened without warning to Twice, Gfriend, Mamamoo, Oh My Girl. Now it's down to Blackpink and Red Velvet, desperately clinging to digital relevancy in Korea. We already saw BP slip and lose its crown to Ive and NJ in 2022 when their singles got slammed by the one two punch of Attention and later Afterlike. Red Velvet kind of edged around the top 15 of Melon for this recent comeback, still holding on but barely.

• I call it the Sudden Waterfall. It's like these older GGs just coasting along, enjoying the calm, placid river waters, and then suddenly, without warning, the water turns rough, they get slammed into the banks and lose their oars, and then they are sent tumbling down the rapids and over the falls... ;(;(;( .

Happened without warning to Twice, Gfriend, Mamamoo, Oh My Girl. Now it's down to Blackpink and Red Velvet, desperately clinging to digital relevancy in Korea. We already saw BP slip and lose its crown to Ive and NJ in 2022 when their singles got slammed by the one two punch of Attention and later Afterlike. Red Velvet kind of edged around the top 15 of Melon for this recent comeback, still holding on but barely.

the delusion and this obsession to believe blackpink lost relevancy even their renewal contract news were trending on Naver and everywhere. bp is literally the biggest gg and even charting #2 isn't a slip the gp didn't click with their songs as much and it's ok lol everywhere they are doing fine

Don't let them see this

why are you being so shady to blackpink lately you are weren't like that before you are acting like someone from certain fandom but then you complain if people do this with Ive and we know those comments are annoying and not true same well it's the same with blackpink

• why are you being so shady to blackpink lately you are weren't like that before you are acting like someone from certain fandom but then you complain if people do this with Ive

I'm shady to everyone for fun even my faves.

And it's not specifically targeted at Blackpink, this was more targeted to BPHouse coz I knew he would get into trouble for this

I didn't quote that to say that whatever he said was true or false it was just to poke fun at him. It's not that serious.

And if you see my other replies to other threads you would see that I've been defending them like how some people have been s-shaming Jennie in the breakup thread or calling out some weird users for celebrating their break up

• What about Aya?

if im not mistaken, Aya is supposed to be the title track and the one they were pushing instead of Dingga

• the biggest problem with mamamoo was that they kinda disappeared after Dingga. I think they were on the contract renewal+ nego period and ended up Wheein left the company but stay as group. Meanwhile all the releases for fans are not promoted

By the time they back on full promotion with illela they are irrelevant in korea anymore. Kinda sad cause illela is as good as their previous hits

• Usually scandals can affect a group, they have been involved in a scandal iirc but not sure if it was in the time period where their charting went wrong.

I think it's as simple as that the songs they released just weren't catchy enough to chart well - they're not the only group that suffers from this - and that 1 of their members didn't renew the contract will probably have affected the group as well as their results.

They also seem to be one of the few groups that didn't get the same lift in fanbase/album sales as most other groups did when the big spike started to happen: only once when it started and their sales doubled from 70-80k to over 150k. But after that, it never went further, even stagnated.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• What about Aya?

if im not mistaken, Aya is supposed to be the title track and the one they were pushing instead of Dingga

Aya was the title track, but the public responded much more favorably to Dingga so they ended up promoting it way more.

the biggest problem with mamamoo was that they kinda disappeared after Dingga. I think they were on the contract renewal+ nego period and ended up Wheein left the company but stay as group. Meanwhile all the releases for fans are not promoted

By the time they back on full promotion with illela they are irrelevant in korea anymore. Kinda sad cause illela is as good as their previous hits

To be fair to Mamamoo, they were the top trend on Melon during the initial release of their album, and Illela didn't fail to chart or anything as bad as some results we've seen from other 3rd generation groups, so they weren't irrelevant. It was just several steps down from what they used to do to the charts.

Usually scandals can affect a group, they have been involved in a scandal iirc but not sure if it was in the time period where their charting went wrong.

I think it's as simple as that the songs they released just weren't catchy enough to chart well - they're not the only group that suffers from this - and that 1 of their members didn't renew the contract will probably have affected the group as well as their results.

They also seem to be one of the few groups that didn't get the same lift in fanbase/album sales as most other groups did when the big spike started to happen: only once when it started and their sales doubled from 70-80k to over 150k. But after that, it never went further, even stagnated.

The scandal had nothing to do with their digital dominance declining. That was all the way back in 2017--they set the record for 24 hour unique listeners that year. In the history of girl group songs, only BP's D4 accumulated more. 2018 was one of their strongest overall years, if not the strongest.

So yeah. That's not why.

Also, they didn't release a ton of music as a group after Aya. There was Where Are We and that was pretty much it until Illela.

They just weren't active as a group.

• There was also the news of Wheein not renewing for her solo activities, which some people used to inaccurately conclude they were disbanding.

This was kinda it. Even though they did say Mamamoo will continue as a group, people kinda didn't buy into it because so many groups before them said the same thing and just disbanded. I think that's why YG is careful with his wording regarding BP, they focused on announcing group renewal first and then later they'll probably reveal that a certain member didn't renew exclusive contract. RBW did the opposite. The news of Wheein not renewing circulated and then they confirmed it and added the cliche "she'll continue as Mamamoo member". I think for a lot of fans that was a bailout moment.

• I guess them being far less active didn't help them.

Still, it only feels like a partial explanation: there have been other groups that have had hiatus times just as long and longer inbetween comebacks who weren't affected much at all by it. And the periods of inactivity inbetween comebacks weren't even that long for Mamamoo.

But with Mamamoo it almost looks like a sudden snap, as if from one moment to the next, things had changed severely. Not just charting but also album sales stagnated.

The only thing that's different from groups that weren't affected by any hiatus times, is that Mamamoo saw Wheein not renewing her contract.

It must have hit Mamamoo as well as their fanbase harder than expected.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• That’s a huge mystery at some point they were dominating everywhere and their song Hip gave them a huge push in the international market and even before that they’re weren’t lacking when it came to international fame and it’s like Mamamoo had a scandal or anything to lose all the hype they had

Mkre than few reasons.

I think they just came back with music people didn't like and they had some scandals which would be manageable had they had fandom big enough to shield them + I also feel like their success annoyed some fandoms and they had tons of token stans and they can only take you so far. Plus they became naturally less active as a group over time

I feel like aya and dingga were not what people wanted from them after go go babe and hip.

Either way they still have sizable fandom which supports them.

• There is a bit of a false equivalence happening here, not just with you, but with a couple other comments here as well.

Let's clear this up.

Mamamoo's public relevance has absolutely declined, and as the MooMoo who was as locked into their metrics as anyone on the Internet, I'll be the first to admit that.

But their fandom is as strong as it's ever been. We didn't see any significant boosts when the industry saw a huge increase in album sales, but we didn't decline from our 3rd gen numbers either. MooMoos remain one of the most loyal fandoms, and we will still fill arenas and out scream other fandoms at music shows.

Mamamoo completely sold out arenas in NY, Chicago and LA, so the international demand is there too.

The fans are the ones who knew they weren't disbanding and stay connected with the girls' individual schedules. The public did not, and RBW, their label, also started actively trying to convince their shareholders they aren't just the "Mamamoo Company" and started investing their time and assets elsewhere. That's not fan cope either; they actually said that.

So, in some sense, you're right. It's not just their lack of activity as a group; it's a combination of factors.

Minimal group activity, bad luck of a pandemic delaying their first real world tour, label no longer prioritizing their promos, member signing at a different label during a time when people questioned if the group would stick together AND the subsequent takeover of the 4th generation.

The one song they did release, after all of this, Illela, didn't chart extremely well, but it did chart. And that came out in 2022. They're basically on that BlackPink release schedule now, compared to 2018, where they released 4 albums in a year.

I think that's a good enough explanation.

• they had some scandals which would be manageable had

I just want to reiterate. The scandal had no long term impact on them. And it was only one major scandal. Any others were just knetizens or antis taking something out of context and trying to hit them while they were still reeling from their one legitimate scandal.

I was literally in the building for that one scandal and their subsequent apologies the next night, and I was extremely active in the fandom in the ensuing months, so I can speak to all of these matters with more certainty than just about anyone.

• I just want to reiterate. The scandal had no long term impact on them. And it was only one major scandal. Any others were just knetizens or antis taking something out of context and trying to hit them while they were still reeling from their one legitimate scandal.

I was literally in the building for that one scandal and their subsequent apologies the next night, and I was extremely active in the fandom in the ensuing months, so I can speak to all of these matters with more certainty than just about anyone.

I feel like those scandals affected them to certain degree, I remember when dingga came out and certain people were like "when you can't say n word" as reference to their scandal in 2017, I saw posts like thay everywhere.

I don't think that scandal affected them in Korea tho.

I think in some of their other controversies, rather than mamamoo being controversial people were looking for things to hate.

• I feel like those scandals affected them to certain degree, I remember when dingga came out and certain people were like "when you can't say n word" as reference to their scandal in 2017, I saw posts like thay everywhere.

I don't think that scandal affected them in Korea tho.

I think in some of their other controversies, rather than mamamoo being controversial people were looking for things to hate.

Let's be honest. The idiots saying things like that were not MMM fans at any point in their lives. When Mamamoo rose in popularity and started releasing hits, there were people literally seething over the fact they really couldn't find any legitimate angle to attack Mamamoo from. They had amazing talent, great performance skills and could do no wrong in Korea

That scandal was the perfect opportunity for all those circling vultures to pounce.

Mamamoo has actually gained more international fans since then. I've gone to all but one of their U.S. schedules and there was a palpable difference between the tour stops I went to this year and the fan meeting I went to all the way back in 2015

• the WAW album was the problem

with how far kpop market has come and with the competition

you can't 'waste' a comeback for ballad song like

this should be some kind of not even b-side but c-side with "just" one of those 'special live clips' when they would sit or stand and sing it

Dingga + AYA combo did pretty well on charts tho

• I think its not just them though? Gfriend,Twice,RV even BP all lost popularity its what happens as they age sadly. I think BP still popular enough to have hits but yeah all the gen 3 groups lost popularity.

• Not all their songs were hits, pre 2021. Windflower didn't do well.

I really liked Mamamoo (one of my fave GGs at that time) to the point that I bought several of their albums. Doing some solo work was great, but they kept going with that for too long in my opinion.

Especially Wheein released boring song after boring song (again in my opinion) and while first I wanted to support, I stopped tuning in automatically as it kept dragging on.

So I drifted away and have never really been back.

I think that when a group starts doing solo work, it's important to continue to give group content. A lot of people become fans of a group partly because of the dynamics and the music they made together. Once that stops, more casual fans are the first to leave.

• This thread contains 46 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!