Why people didn't really talk about Fifty Fifty members when their song going really viral?

• I believe someone might already write the similar thread with this one before.

I just come back from my kpop hiatus for months. I just accidentally heard 'Cupid' for the first time in a store and I like it very much. And when this song went viral and being everywhere, I thought when I come back to my kpop acc I will see Fifty Fifty everywhere. Surprisingly, it is not the case. I was there when Momoland, Mamamoo, Brave Girls and GFriend went viral in kpop scene. They all have members that rise in popularity and being the talk of the town. Yet, I don't see this happen to Fifty Fifty. My moots on twitter know their song but none of them knowing even one member from this group.

I don't understand, usually when the song went viral, it will giving a lot of impact to the group and its members' popularity. Kinda disappointed that people not really interested in them and scared if they unable to built their fanbase even after they achieved all of this.

• Well most viral cases happen within korea, it can be the case of a member going viral along the song or a member being viral then a song doing the same, as it is a smaller market people recognized faces/names, it's easier

50/50 case is in a bigger market where the focus is just the song, that's how it works for most viral TikTok hits globally

• It’s obvious what the reason is but if you so much as breathe a word about this topic some special snowflakes kpop stans are gonna come for your neck for daring to “discredit” their precious nugus when no one’s doing such things and it’s as objective and cut and dried as a discussion can be lol

• i was the one who made that thread

what i figured was pretty much lack of backing from rich and powerful people

no fashion brand deals

no underwear or alcohol ads

no acting

no controversies either

and of course not connected to a big name label

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• It’s obvious what the reason is but if you so much as breathe a word about this topic some special snowflakes kpop stans are gonna come for your neck for daring to “discredit” their precious nugus when no one’s doing such things and it’s as objective and cut and dried as a discussion can be lol

What does this mean

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I'm sorry, what?

I like them way before cupid went viral during their debut era.

• I think they are in more stable and comfortable position than Gfriend, Mamamoo or Momoland before they went popular. Fifty Fifty's company already have some sort of relationship with Warner since the beginning. Even BG members get a lot of attention and offers after their song get popular. So, I don't think lack of backing from powerful and rich company actually play a big part on how people didn't pay attention to any of their members.

• I think they are in more stable and comfortable position than Gfriend, Mamamoo or Momoland before they went popular. Fifty Fifty's company already have some sort of relationship with Warner since the beginning. Even BG members get a lot of attention and offers after their song get popular. So, I don't think lack of backing from powerful and rich company actually play a big part on how people didn't pay attention to any of their members.

how many people do you think even know what label they are from?

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• - people too preoccupied with idols they already stan or hate

- no big company hype

- no stand out visual members

- their success is seen as a huge threat, and they have nothing to cancel the members for, so their best bet is to ignore them

- they are manifesting them to be a one hit wonder for that reason

• People knowing a song but not the artist is far from being uncommon,especially with the rise of TikTok.

In the context of k-pop,Cupid isn't the type of song that would make fans gravitate towards the group as it's a very chill,lowkey song that almost sounds like an OST + they don't have the backing of a large company to push them.

• Simple answer is they aren't being promoted/experienced as a K-Pop group, they are a group that happens to be from Korea with a very popular song that actually reached global GP before K-Pop community. I've read a few interviews with the label head now and it's all quite genius and by design.

I actually expect this will start to become common.

• Oh no, of course it's fifty fifty to blame, why they just debuted on small agency, people don't want to know anything that comes out from small agency. It's their fault they're didn't have BTS, blackpink, twice or survival show privilege. People will hate them if they're popular because small agency gg shouldn't outshine their bias.

• Oh no, of course it's fifty fifty to blame, why they just debuted on small agency, people don't want to know anything that comes out from small agency. It's their fault they're didn't have BTS, blackpink, twice or survival show privilege. People will hate them if they're popular because small agency gg shouldn't outshine their bias.

Lol... what a weird take from you. I asking this question bc this is the first time I saw a kpop girl group with viral song within gp and kpop community didn't actually being hype or any of their member being viral too. Brave Girl didn't come from a big company yet they were the talk of the town after their song getting popular. They getting a lot of brand deals, cf and their members were invited basically everywhere. This has nothing to do with other groups' fans

• how many people do you think even know what label they are from?

This is basically apply to all groups from small companies that unexpectedly released a hit song. Yet those groups all have at least one member that known by many after their hit even without big company backing their back.

Even XG members esp Cocona were lowkey more known among kpop community than any of fifty fifty members even when they have no viral song.

• This is basically apply to all groups from small companies that unexpectedly released a hit song. Yet those groups all have at least one member that known by many after their hit even without big company backing their back.

Even XG members esp Cocona were lowkey more known among kpop community than any of fifty fifty members even when they have no viral song.

luck is luck after all

u r m o m g a y

• be careful, peeps are gonna come for you bc apparently you’re wishing for fifty fifty to become a one hit wonder according to their logic :suure:

• It's not really a dance number or upbeat pop song. It's a chill song but not really something that will make the group known. Take momoland or EXID, their songs were dance songs and so their fancams also became super popular. Psy's gangman style was also a dance song and the dance became popular. It's a nice song but definitely not a song that kpop fans are going to gravitate to. This will give them exposure but to me this is more something like a drama OST. I like the song but I'm not going to look it up online for a MV or dance practice.

If I say anything incorrect please correct me and I will edit my comment accordingly. I'm also very sarcastic so please don't take anything I say to heart.

• Lol... what a weird take from you. I asking this question bc this is the first time I saw a kpop girl group with viral song within gp and kpop community didn't actually being hype or any of their member being viral too. Brave Girl didn't come from a big company yet they were the talk of the town after their song getting popular. They getting a lot of brand deals, cf and their members were invited basically everywhere. This has nothing to do with other groups' fans

the reasons and circumstances both groups went viral are completly different.

brave girls went viral in korea but didnt really went international. 5050 went viral international and korea now catch up. the companies have a complete different focus.

the members were part of the reason why BG went viral. there was also a lot of money involved with fans crowdfunding tens of thousands within minutes. The craze in korea was a lot bigger while international they didnt make much noise.

On the contrary 5050 went big international with an english song. so the potential is hundred times bigger. its interesting to see how they will do. im looking forwart to them.

• I mean it got popular on TikTok which is basically the place where even a random songs/sound get viral. I don't even know half of the songs that hit up my front pages on TikTok yet I listen to them .

For Cupid, I must say the songs is catchy and have very good structure, I even listen it on YouTube and Spotify countless of time. But I haven't recognize any of them yet or even knows their name.

It takes time and I believe they will got what they deserve eventually.

• It is probably a case of the song becoming much bigger than the artist. Cupid also didn't become popular the usual kpop way i.e, with performances. Even the dance challenge was using the choreo someone on TikTok made not the OG choreo. When I hear the song I don't necessarily think of the group. Kinda similar to Gaga's Bloody Mary going viral on TikTok because of a Wednesday Addams edit. People are not thinking of Gaga when they hear it, just the dance scene from the show but obviously Lady Gaga is established so it doesn't matter.

The girls have beautiful voices and have very natural English diction so hopefully they continue to do well.

What is this? Is this shade aimed at my super successful Izone girls? :pepe-hips:

• they said the same thing about Psy...

But I won't bother to get into it with you

gangnam style’s success had a lot to do with the horse-riding dance and mv of a goofy dude going viral as a meme, not just the song alone. cupid on the other hand is blowing up entirely for the music (just like many tiktok hits nowadays) and not at all for the artist themselves. expecting people to care about fifty fifty the same way they initially did psy just bc they’re both korean is very naive to say the least

• the song itself went viral, the members didn't. usually it's a dance or performance or some kind of viral moment from a group member that propels the song forward, not the other way around. (momoland had jooe, exid had hani, billlie with tsuki)

idk if they'll be a one hit wonder like everyone is pushing for, but all that really matters now is what they do with this new attention. they could never have another huge hit again and that's fine as long as they get a stable fanbase out of it

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• when they hit Top10 in Billboard we'll have an entire different talk about them

Honestly, imagine if they hit #1 or even top 5. I've already seen massive TW fights with both Armys and a few Blinks taking shots at Fifty Fifty, calling them Tiktok fads and accusing their label of payola (even though they signed with Warner literally just two weeks ago afaik to help with radio impact).

I did try to watch some of their bts content. The girls were perfectly fine but i didn't feel any outsized charisma/fanservice energy from them.

Their future could hinge on their English abilities, and maybe their ability to grab locals attention if they do promotional stuff here. I liked the song but i didnt pay attention to their English proficiency in terms of pronunication.

• gangnam style’s success had a lot to do with the horse-riding dance and mv of a goofy dude going viral as a meme, not just the song alone. cupid on the other hand is blowing up entirely for the music (just like many tiktok hits nowadays) and not at all for the artist themselves. expecting people to care about fifty fifty the same way they initially did psy just bc they’re both korean is very naive to say the least

Plus, a few months before, Kim Jungun of North Korea took power and Psy kind of looked like the fat dude in NK , a rogue state about which not much is known about, so that also made a minor stir and did help.

Why on Earth is Mamamoo being name-dropped in a thread about a viral girl group?

They weren't one-hit wonders and they steadily rose to becoming one of the top girl groups in Korea. What's unstable about having #1 hit songs for multiple years in a row?

Mamamoo is about to start an arena tour in the U.S. Nothing about their career arc is unstable or uncomfortable.

What they achieved, without going viral, is what Fifty Fifty should actually be aiming to accomplish. Because Mamamoo is absolutely the bar for what a small company girl group can accomplish when starting from basically nothing.

• This thread contains 20 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!