Stop Comparing NJs to Twice or BP

• Twice and BP debuted at a time which is radically different for GGs and Kpop in general. Physicals were different, K-pop’s global and western popularity was different. Heck even Korean charting is different now then when BP and Twice debuted.

It is almost impossible to compare to groups now as the scene is so different. NJs had the benefit of debuting at time when Kpop is at its peak in popularity. Twice and BP debuted before that and rode the wave of thats success and was partly responsible for that growth behind BTS, EXO and other groups.

NJs is undeniably great and will probably accomplish even more things. They will sell well, chart well, and I think your very well. They will have a legacy when they are finished which will be hard to top. But comparing them to groups which had to develop their own international fanbase from the base that was a lot smaller than NJs is weird as hell.

• They only want to fight but your commitment and pure heart in all honor.

Twice and BP debuted at a time which is radically different for GGs and Kpop in general. Physicals were different, K-pop’s global and western popularity was different. Heck even Korean charting is different now then when BP and Twice debuted.

It is almost impossible to compare to groups now as the scene is so different. NJs had the benefit of debuting at time when Kpop is at its peak in popularity. Twice and BP debuted before that and rode the wave of thats success and was partly responsible for that growth behind BTS, EXO and other groups.

NJs is undeniably great and will probably accomplish even more things. They will sell well, chart well, and I think your very well. They will have a legacy when they are finished which will be hard to top. But comparing them to groups which had to develop their own international fanbase from the base that was a lot smaller than NJs is weird as hell.

кιм נєηηιє ⭐︎мαησвαη ℓαℓιѕα⭐︎ ραяк ¢нαєуσυηg ⭐︎ кιм נιѕσσ

540 Jennie Kim ideas | blackpink jennie, kim, kim jennie Blackpink Jennie Teddy Bear Şapka | krimofashion.com  제니츄 on Twitter | Blackpink fashion, Fashion, Black pink

• Oh please. I was around for all of 3rd generation. The differences and advances in the industry didn't stop Onces from making tons of comparisons between Twice and SNSD, when Twice was being pushed as the NGG, and nobody seemed to care about the differences between 2nd and 3rd generation back then.

Well it's a new era now, and just like Twice smashed the old SNSD records, NJ is going to smash the old Twice records (I'm not sure what records are still standing other than touring numbers).

That's just the way it works.

• Oh please. I was around for all of 3rd generation. The differences and advances in the industry didn't stop Onces from making tons of comparisons between Twice and SNSD, when Twice was being pushed as the NGG, and nobody seemed to care about the differences between 2nd and 3rd generation back then.

Well it's a new era now, and just like Twice smashed the old SNSD records, NJ is going to smash the old Twice records (I'm not sure what records are still standing other than touring numbers).

I mean this happens every new gen you are right, records will always be broken until a peak is hit.

Honestly with the rise of new girl groups it just makes me realize how lazy blinks are ;p

• Can not even remember how many times people have compared new groups to Blackpink, so I am used to it. In the end, these people have become very silent.

I mean at some point it’s natural. BP is one of the biggest groups in Kpop so any rising group will be compared to then and other popular groups but still it’s also important to acknowledge the dumbness of those comparisons.

• I mean this happens every new gen you are right, records will always be broken until a peak is hit.

Honestly with the rose of new girl groups it just makes me realize how lazy blinks are ;p

It's just the nature of the beast. Kpop is rapidly expanding and reaching new peaks globally in ways that were unheard of in the beginning of the 3rd gen, let alone the 2nd gen. And it wasn't for lack of trying back then either. The top 2nd gen groups were all pushed in the west at some point.

With the groundwork the 3rd gen has put in, which was only made possible due to the popularity of those 2nd gen groups, the 4th gen is accomplishing things previously thought impossible, and NJ is at the head of the pack.

That doesn't make their predecessors lesser than the legend status they've earned and deserved, but it shouldn't be seen as a negative either.

To use basketball as an analogy, nobody thinks Bill Russell, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson are garbage players just because Michael Jordan took the torch from them and took the NBA to unprecedented heights as it's greatest player. We still acknowledge that he never would've had the chance to do that if Magic/Bird didn't save the NBA from falling off the map.

I look at Kpop very similarly.

OF COURSE, NJ is able to thrive due to the crazy work their predecessors put in, and they'd probably be the first to tell people that, but that shouldn't be used as a way to diminish and dismiss their accomplishments.

Twice and BP were the biggest of their era. NJ is the biggest of their era. People need to keep it simple.

It’s how fandom works this is true. Records are meant to be broken. Arguments are bund to happen of course but the quicker the older fandom realizes that surpassing the older groups is going to happen then the quick Lee the argument will end. I think Once’s have largely accepted that fact as Twices popularity has basically peaked. Not completely but mostly. Blinks I think still see BP as being able to grow significantly which is why I think a fight exists between them and NJs. And maybe they are right. Just have to see I guess.

• It’s how fandom works this is true. Records are meant to be broken. Arguments are bund to happen of course but the quicker the older fandom realizes that surpassing the older groups is going to happen then the quick Lee the argument will end. I think Once’s have largely accepted that fact as Twices popularity has basically peaked. Not completely but mostly. Blinks I think still see BP as being able to grow significantly which is why I think a fight exists between them and NJs. And maybe they are right. Just have to see I guess.

I think its because we want our groups to keep records and have like a legacy I guess? I do think BP album might sell more then previous but might be hard honestly. I think this tour has probs gained them fans but I do think BP has lost casual fans. I think a big thing holding back BP maybe re peaking are solo fans tbh. I think Jisoo album proved like still growth.

• It’s how fandom works this is true. Records are meant to be broken. Arguments are bund to happen of course but the quicker the older fandom realizes that surpassing the older groups is going to happen then the quick Lee the argument will end. I think Once’s have largely accepted that fact as Twices popularity has basically peaked. Not completely but mostly. Blinks I think still see BP as being able to grow significantly which is why I think a fight exists between them and NJs. And maybe they are right. Just have to see I guess.

Comparisons are inevitable and we as Kpop fans can never escape them, because it's a natural thing to do. We compare because we need context for the accomplishments of the groups. To make the claim a group has done something never seen before, it requires us to, well, look at what other groups have done before.

Like someone said in a different thread, the 2nd gen crawled so that the 3rd gen could walk and let the 4th gen run.

Just like I'm sure there are some diehard 1st Gen kpop fans looking at the incredible global expansion of kpop and think none of it would be possible without the original kpop stars of their era lol

I only get annoyed when people engage in success erasure. That crosses the line. I get very annoyed by it as a Mamamoo fan for life.

But records are made to be broken, and I wish my fellow 3rd gen fans would just accept it gracefully

• Ywha but there's more competition now I remember back then there was only one favourite gg of new fans, BP because they were the only ones not doing cute stuff. Now we not only have big 3 ggs but hybe, starship and even small company ggs are doing great jobs.

• Differences have never stopped Twice vs SNSD talk

or BP vs 2NE1 talk.

Is just how these things go.

• To be fair though the industry was not as radically different from when twice and SNSD debuted as it is today between Twice and New Jeans. Same goes for 2NE1 and BP

YouTube was not a big thing for 2nd Gen, many changes were made to how the charts were recorded, ect.

Is never apples to apples, the industry just keeps changing.

• yes it's ridiculous I will focus on blackpink's side it's like they are waiting for blackpink to get surpassed so bad

and the worst part is that Blackpink still has the highest grossing tour for kpop girl groups in the states and overall, the best selling album born pink 2.7M also the gg with highest entry on hot 100 ( 9 entries) 4 succesful solos group, longest running female groups on global spotify (105 weeks) current girl group with the most streak of days charting on spotify global (641 days) the only girl group to rank in gallup, korea forbes, several times being #1 brand advertisements ( not to be confused with brand reputation) not to be con I'm sorry that blackpink isn't over yet.

there are many other achievements that's all I have for now lol

• Twice and BP debuted at a time which is radically different for GGs and Kpop in general. Physicals were different, K-pop’s global and western popularity was different. Heck even Korean charting is different now then when BP and Twice debuted.

Don't be such a bag of bones! :mad:

If you want to be great, you have to be ready to be compared to the greats :yesr:

(P.S. anyone that tries to leave one of those facepalm emojis, just know that you're hitting yourself in the face with a glove covered in thumbtacks..... ;judgingpepe: )

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• This was good.

Only one thing missing. You didnt acknowlege the critical role that Izone played in paving the way for 4th generation. From Oct 2018-Mar 2021, they kinda acted like a massive dam, holding back 4th gen from exploding onto the scene. Everyone was so focused on them there was no attention left to give to the early 4th gen players.

Even though 4th gen started with Idle in 2018, the third gen groups still ruled the roost in 2018, 2019, 2020...until Izone's dam was burst by the Kpop gods working with nefarious elements within the industry in Mar 2021, and they were truly and completely ended in April 2021.

The sacrifice that Izone made, the dam finally bursting, allowed 4th generation to finally shine with Next Level in May 2021 ending the 2nd and 3rd generation in one fell swoop. Ive came along later that year and the rest is history.

• I'm not a man lol wtf it was 9 versions you d*mb ass it's not like twice didn't have digipacks let it go with that because blackpink did well wiith 4 version 1.5 M before the digipacks were added

9 versions lmfao Of course I was being dramatic with 50, like duh, but it definitely had around 20 versions in total.

Yes, finally after years of everyone cheating their way to the top Twice did digipacks and proved how easy it is to sell million like that.

I've been around since before 3rd gen was even a thing, and so I know what the 2nd gen groups accomplished and what they didn't. Twice were being considered the new "NGG" nearly right from the start. You make it sound like there was some paradigm shift in how the industry works right before they debuted, but there was not. They were initially working with the same tools as SNSD, whose downfall began only the year before when Jessicagate happened. Twice's (and that other group's) advancement into the west, something SNSD never even came close to achieving (outside of an appearance on a morning talk show), is what really changed things for the 4th gen groups. SNSD are legendary in Korea and even Japan, but they simply did not set the stage for newcomers outside of those two countries like the 3rd gen groups did.

As for records NJ have not smashed, overall sales would be a pretty big one. Number of #1s on the Korean charts (they need 9 consecutive just to match Twice.) And of course touring, where they've done literally nothing so far. People act like that's no big deal, but touring is the big moneymaker for a company and their group, and also a much more accurate measure of where they are in terms of popularity than either charting or album sales. You can't bulk buy butts in the seats.

• This thread contains 34 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!