producer is more important than the artist itself ? Yes or Nah ?

• What's your opinion ? 13

The result is only visible to the participants.

A lot of Kpop group stick to one producer once they get successfull

but it seems that it's hurting them more than helping them because once this group lost this producer or this producer lost his touch

the group start "flopping " for example :

Twice build their entire brand on the cute bubble pop sound that BEP created for them; BEP is the producer who gave twice their biggest hit in korea and also their last hit in Korea with fancy but since BEP is now focusing on StayC, twice can no longer use his talent and their performance in the chart in korea become worst and worst since Fancy

Loona for the debut of their group career worked with Monotree and got a lot of attention and people had a lot of hope for their futur, but since So What they stopped working with Monotreee on their title track and it seems that they lost a lot of attention from kpop fans after this

Sunmi career went well with JYP then she worked with Teddy for Gashina and heroine who have been very well received and since she stop working with teddy since Siren, she completely lost her popularity and just fade away in the background

Chungha had a very successfull debut of career working with BEP and Oreo but the past years she stopped working with them and start working with Vincenzo and now her career is going downhill

there's a lot of example of Artist working with a producer becoming really successfull and once they stop working with this producer their career in the chart seems to go downhill (there's also some artist being able to be as successfull while working with different producer, but they seem more rare, because these successfull artists usually stick to the same producer once they find the success BTS/Pdogg, BP/Teddy, Aespa/Yoo youngjin)

Is it a proof that the producer is more important than the artist itself ? because you can see producer working with various artist and be able to make them really successfull like Teddy and BEP but once they start working with this artist, even if the artist is still the same, once they start to work with someone else they can't find the same success anymore

Do you think working with the same producer for an extended period of time is a good idea for idols ?

do you think all these idols doing badly after working with other producer, is a proof that the producer matter more than the artist itself ?

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• That’s not true about twice they have songs which were written by JYP and Galackita and still smashed so

Also working with a famous producers is only working for a short term it’s good for the exposure but once you hit big the GP doesn’t care if your previous projects were produced by the same producers. So no.

• That’s not true about twice they have songs which were written by JYP and Galackita and still smashed so

hmm yes JYP gave to Twice some hits but they were never as big than the one BEP gave to Twice

and Galactika ? they only work on some bsides in Summer nights mini album and Heartshaker and it doesn't compare to the success of the tt that bep or jyp produce for Twice

proof is that Galactika is never name as one of the most influential producer in Twice discography, and their name is mostly link to Itzy

• Obviously the producer can matter more than the artist. Look at YG and Teddy. The company barely has any non teddy produced hits the past 15! years.

BigBang, 2NE1, Blackpink all Teddy.

yeah and honestly it's one of the thing who make me the most curious

all these groups are super popular

but i would be curious to see them work with other producer to see if their name is so big that they can make any song works

or Teddy little magic wand is a big factor in their success

• I would say producer is most important than artist

for small-mid agencies

because even if your idols got hella talent but they receive some dumbo jumbo bumpy songs people will drop them asap

on the other hand even mediocre singers can do well thanks to lipsyncing and autotune

if they have good music producer

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• hmm yes JYP gave to Twice some hits but they were never as big than the one BEP gave to Twice

and Galactika ? they only work on some bsides in Summer nights mini album and Heartshaker and it doesn't compare to the success of the tt that bep or jyp produce for Twice

proof is that Galactika is never name as one of the most influential producer in Twice discography, and their name is mostly link to Itzy

So you proved my point no one cares about the producers because all their songs non produced by BEP are hits doesn’t matter if it’s not more successful than cheer up one whatever.

APINK worked with BEP and the song wasn’t a hit.

So bad wasn’t a hit despite produced by BEP, Stereotype was a moderate hit.

• In some cases I guess. I know BTS has writers and producers begging for them to sing their songs, it’s like a Jack pot (it’s either one of the guys who wrote Dynamite or Butter said this in an interview). So in BTS case, they are definitely more important than the producers.

But personally I love Bighit in house producers and prefer BTS doing songs with them. Both complement each other very well.

• nothing is more important than image

twice can sell anyone's song if their initial self-projected image of being nice humble girl-next-door is maintained

bp can sell any shit song if their image of privileged expensive mysterious young girls is maintained

most of the top elite groups are the ones who have a very specific image that the public latches on to

for groups not so image constrained, producers are more important than the artist

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• I don't know what makes a hit song. I compare it with writers: not every book a successful author writes is a masterpiece, nor every movie a director makes, nor is every track course a top athlete runs a world record. There are ups and downs, but the better someone is at their profession the more times they'll be able to deliver top products and results.

I think top producers (and composers) are part of the equation, and an important part, but not the whole equation.

Without top producers an artist won't be able to keep up charting high, as seen with TWICE, Chungha and Sunmi.

Without a popular or top group/artist using their song, a producer team won't see their song rise as high as it could have.

APINK worked with BEP and the song wasn’t a hit.

What are you talking about? The songs that BEP did for APink performed the best of all their recent songs. Same for most of BEP's other songs they did: Touch My Body, I Like That and Lonely for Sistar, Only You for Miss A, Gotta Go for Chung Ha. The BEP portfolio is literally filled to bursting with hits for all kinda groups.

Doesn't mean that evert single one of BEP's - or Teddy's - songs is a megahit.

But whether someone has 80-90% of all their songs become hits no matter for whom, or only 10-20% of their songs become hits makes a lot of difference, and is the difference between a top producer and a lesser one.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Producers are important but at the end of the day we hear the artist interpretation of their work. If the artist doesn't deliver the song will fall flat anyway.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I’m literally talking about their latest comeback it didn’t do well.

Working with a famous producer is good for the exposure but let’s not act they weren’t working with the most popular GG.

Ah, I thought you meant the other ones.

True, I'm So Sick, %% and Dumhdurum were great but Dilemma was a flop.

Not just TWICE. They also had big hits working with Chungha, Sistar, Miss A and others.

And TWICE have had less performing songs even when they're a top group, when they worked with others.

So, both are no surefire guarantee: top groups can have mediocre performing songs and the same for top producers.

Seems like top groups or artists working with top producers offers the biggest chance for top hits (which in hindsight is an open door, but yeah).

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Edited once, last by FoReveries ().

• Also working with a famous producers is only working for a short term it’s good for the exposure but once you hit big the GP doesn’t care if your previous projects were produced by the same producers. So no.

This imo. Good producer can pay dividends early on in their careers, but once you are established I think it is less important.

That said, if you only rely on one producer then I think it will be harder to step away from it.

• Do you think working with the same producer for an extended period of time is a good idea for idols ?

do you think all these idols doing badly after working with other producer, is a proof that the producer matter more than the artist itself ?

After thinking some more about it, this would be my answer:

- if it's hit songs galore as long as the same producer's involved then it'd be madness to let that producer go

- the downside is dependency, which becomes noticeable when that producer leaves or becomes less productive due to circumstances

- better is to switch it up with other producers, to see how that goes and have more stability and continuity with your composers and producers' team

- the best would be if the top composer/producer would simply be part of the group itself

- I think that both producer team and idol group/artist have their impact

- But a top producer team can lift an average popular group to a higher level with their song (or keep them there at a high level)

- A top popular group or artist can on the other hand bridge a comeback with lesser quality song

- Have comebacks with lesser quality (=less hit potential) songs one after the other though, and the interest of the audience will start to wane as well as the popularity of the group

SWJ1P.gif

Edited once, last by FoReveries ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!