Travis Scott, Bad Bunny and The Weeknd’s collaboration is titled ‘KPOP.’

• didn't the weeknd share like nj song? it will probably be like many of his songs, but this time it's about kpop. I mean if he did mention bts or shade them, then it will be a mess, he will be dragged more than what happened to him in his serie, but this time it will be on long term

• Will be very interested in the lyrics and MV.

Lot of racial and cultural cross currents at play here .

Anything can happen.

Anything :sweatr: .

The one thing i will say is if this is a diss track, i think we can finally agree that US music industry does indeed feel threatened by Kpop. If Kpop ever became mainstream and trendy in the US (and i know the chances of that happening is like 0.1 percent lol), that makes Kpop a huge threat. America is an English first, Spanish second music industry, if music sung in a language that only 1.2 percent of people can speak suddenly sweeps the nation, how will 99.99 percent of local acts compete? It effectively boxes them out. Imagine our faves trying to cram Duolingo and spit Korglish verses cmon now lol.

Every country protects their cultural soft power. Japan is a great example of that, their domestic music industry is off limits to outsiders. Same with the US, the Big 3 effectively control the Hot 100, Billboard, etc, and i doubt they would ever allow foreigners to infringe upon their turf. Armies know first hand what it feels like when BTS tries to promote here.

Latin music has finally made a few inroads led by Bad Bunny who i believe runs an independent label but my guess is a lot of bts wheeling and dealing had to happen before the Latin music invasion was allowed to happen and it took 60 years plus 50 million Spanish speaking Americans to make it happen.

I am trembling with anticipation, hope, and fear :sweatr:

• I just know this is going to be 🔥 cause travis always delivers with his lead singles

Bad Bunny & the weeknd being on it is a +

I actually think it might be the opposite of a diss track, I can see trav boasting about having a cult like following like BTS army's or something lol (knowing K-pop stans, it'll still be controversial)

• Can we not?!? Already predicting that it is gonna be full of stereotypes and generalizations. It’s just odd. Did anyone ever make a song about English pop? US pop? Latin pop?

The fetishization of Asianness, including positive and negative portrayals, is a universal constant in the US lol.

The problem with Kpop is that there are SO MANY THINGS that could be ridiculed about it by anyone in the West, where certain things just seem extremely weird or corny or problematic.

Aegyo, esp by male idols, which goes against every norm of masculinity that we worship here. Infantilization of idols by fans, and i'm even including idols that are older minors like 15-17, Kpop fans acting like these idols are 7 and havent smoked, drank, joked about, learned about, or even practiced sex, etc. There is also the feminization of male idols, especially given already existing stereotypes of Asian dudes.

The dark side of Kpop, the crazy diets, the way idols are treated by management, the crazy work hours.

The homogeneity of styles, like male idols literally have only two hairstyles. The middle part and the bangs, there are literally NO OTHER STYLES I HAVE NEVER SEEN A MALE IDOL WITH A MULLET, LONG ROCKER HAIR, BUZZCUT, ASIAN FADE, just nothing but a middle part or bangs. Plus every dude is like 5'6 to 5'9 weighing 133 pounds, the girls have a lot more variety luckily enough, in terms of the way they look and are styled.

Then the usual stereotypes of robots, manufactured, blah blah blah.

• I’m pretty sure the title stands for “ketamine lollipop” so it’ll probably be a partying/drug song. I think the kpop pun is just a clever bit of SEO.

I doubt the song makes any real reference to kpop beyond one liners.

Anyway, Travis Scott is sleazy for how he handled Astroworld. Glad I never liked his music.

• Def 100% - I know re the fetishization of Asians as an Asian woman. Which is why fear of more stereotypes and generalizations….

• None of these people give me good vibes lmao

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• don't know much about bad bunny but the other two are ......

The result will be questionable

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I was a major listener to The Weeknd before the idol. But now when I’m aware of his history of not only Asian fetishism in his “art” but also sexualized violence to Asian women (pre- the idol, but i became aware from the aftermath debate) i actually can’t even stand to hear his songs

And now he chase clout of kpop. Didn’t he just mention NJ?

If this is a dis-track to kpop and not only a pun for a drug lollipop, but even that’s fcking annoying, then ….

• It's always interesting to me when Westerners talk about 'the dark side of Kpop'.

Does it exist? Yes.

Does the dark side of Western pop exist?

Yes, but nobody is talking about that in that way.

Addictions, suicides, eating disorders, sexual harassment, people dying of overdoses, hell, there is even a 27 club of young artists who die at that age.

If it's going to be about the dark side of Kpop, Travis Scott is the last who should talk

Deaths at Travis Scott concert due to accidental suffocation, medical examiner says
    The 10 people who died in a stampede at rapper Travis Scott's concert at the Astroworld Festival in Houston last month accidentally suffocated, the Harris…
    www.reuters.com

• I was a major listener to The Weeknd before the idol. But now when I’m aware of his history of not only Asian fetishism in his “art” but also sexualized violence to Asian women (pre- the idol, but i became aware from the aftermath debate) i actually can’t even stand to hear his songs

And now he chase clout of kpop. Didn’t he just mention NJ?

If this is a dis-track to kpop and not only a pun for a drug lollipop, but even that’s fcking annoying, then ….

The Weeknd went from cool, enigmatic star that I don't know that much about to a creepy laughing stock after that series.

• I hope it's just a marketing tactic and it's about something else entirely.

Because I can already see the mess of kpop fans siding with them if it's a diss track or a Asian woen fetishization track, especially if it mentions artists they don't like, and I am not here for it.

I hope The Weeknd surprises me and won't stoop any lower after the Idol mess.

• What are you even saying? No one name drops who they slept with like that, not even Abel...weird assumption to make firstly

Rappers often have that kind of shit in their songs to humiliate someone.

Tupac famously dissed Biggie in a song by claiming he slept with his wife.

Eminem also made two songs about Mariah Carey, who to this day denied having been with him.

I don't think the Weeknd has any reason to want to humiliate Jennie, so I don't think it will be there.

• leaving aside any potential problematic content...

This just doesn't sound like an appealing combo.

Like I can envision a combination of two of these acts, but once you throw the third in, the vibe's all fucked up.

• External Content www.youtube.com

[Chorus: Travis Scott]
    Swish, lit (Lit)
    Move like she got hip (Hip)
    You fall off on set (Skrrt)
    Fallin' off, but I got grip (Grip)
    All around the trap, it hit (Hit)
    All around the back, you trips
    Take it like nine to ten (Yeah)
    Baby gon' fall in again...

[Verse: Bad Bunny]
    ...je
    Va a joderle y va de nuevo
    Baby, yo te lo meto, es que tú tiene' fuego
    Como aquello' tiempo' de camino a Maya
    Tú ere' una bitchy bien loca, bebé
    Solo tengo tu...
    Tú bien loca, loca, yo bien loco, loco
    Si es que tu mai nos pilla, me pide una foto
    La nota me explota, yo el dinero exploto
    Y aunque acá hayan mucha' bailando, yo te invoco

[Verse: The Weeknd]
    Love me, get it when you wanna love me
    Innocent, you don't mean it
    Have sex up until I'm leavin'
    You don't think she don't want me?
    Blow my shit 'cause I'm heartless
    Even though she don't mean it
    You don't...

• This thread contains 42 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!