"Self-producing group" became a very loose term recently

• Recently a lot of fandoms have been calling their respective groups self-producing although that's not usually the case. While this isn't a drag to any group because I myself am a big fan of non self-producing groups such as VIXX and EXO (I know no one calls exo and vixx self-producing I'm just setting an example) I don't think it's really fair to call a group self-producing when they're not really involved in the process of composition or arrangement in the group's discography, I honestly think that a self-producing group is one where the members almost always write the entirety of the song's lyrics while also participating in the arrangement and actual production of the song, examples for this are: bigbang, seventeen, winner, ikon before hanbin departed, skz and shout out to ab6ix. I also think it's a really broad statement to say that x group "writes their own songs" when most of the time it's just rap lyrics or a minor contribution in a long list of writers and producers along the member, I think it's great that a lot of kpop idols are more involved in their songs than before but I think that generalizing the same statement among all idols undermines the hardwork of idols who are in charge of almost all of their music.

From the kpopthoughts community on Reddit
    Explore this post and more from the kpopthoughts community
    www.reddit.com

(this post is clearly not mine but since everyone is complaining about how dry the forum lately so why not bring some post from reddit :-))

what do you think about this post

• Well, yes, fans overexaggerate about their favorite groups' participation on songs' credits.

But I also think K-pop stans like to downplay/reduce to nothing when idols have some participation, especially If It's small, and don't want to give them credits cause, aparently, It's not "self-produced" enough for them to get their flowers.

I'm from the team that every participation should be seen as positive in such a restrictive industry. Things don't need to be 8 or 80.

• Let's be real here

If your writing credits has got like what 10 other people that doesn't make you a songwriter.

Like writing "serve and slay bad bitches on the runway coming your way okay" with 10 other people doesn't make you a songwriter

And just writing songs doesn't make you self produced. Producing songs is more than that.

What groups I would think we can call self produced are for example Day6, Stray Kids, (G)I-DLE, where they do literally everything by themselves with the help of some producers to tie things together

• After seeing success of gidle and popularity of their self produced status now every company wants to add that self produce logo to their ggs to make them look more appealing that's why u see a lot of companies adding their gg members name's in lyrics credits of b-sides even though most likely they actually didn't do anything or at best suggest a couple of words or a sentence.

That's why i say, a group can only be called truly self produced if they release a completely self produced title track, written all by members themselves. Writing a word in some irrelevant b-side just for name sake means bullocks

• After seeing success of gidle and popularity of their self produced status now every company wants to add that self produce logo to their ggs to make them look more appealing that's why u see a lot of companies adding their gg members name's in lyrics credits of b-sides even though most likely they actually didn't do anything or at best suggest a couple of words or a sentence.

Yes, the same thing happened after BTS rise. They all tried to give their idols the underdog storytelling. it was really hilarious to see the BIG3 and their fans making up stories from scratch to convince themselves that this was the case ^^

If you really love something, you have to know how to let go.

tumblr_oln7qtTHZo1vkpbuyo2_540.gifv

• One group I like a lot who does most of the stuff themself is the Japanese boygroup MADKID. Their company gives them all the freedom since they never really knew how to work with a boygroup, since they mainly work on soloists and therefore told the boys they can do whatever they want. Now the members mainly produce, write and compose most of their songs with little to no help by other people and even often choreograph the dances and direct their own MVs.

This is what I think of when people talk about a self-producing group like 80-90% is done by the members and only a small bit help by other people

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Hmmm. Idk I guess I’m jaded? Credits are extremely faked in the music scene and it became that way because fans became obsessed with it. It’s also happening in the kpop scene. With time you’re only going to see more and more forced credits.

For me I can’t relate to the people who are this obsessed with the self produced card to “relate” to a group or “connect” with them knowing how fake the industry is lol.

But then connecting with an idol has never been a requirement for me so I guess I’ll never understand such things. It’s just another tag along with many others like “ members are close friends” and “pure” that fans attach to their idols so they can properly channel their obsession.

• Self produced and it's just the assigned rapper writing 2 lines of lyrics and 10 producers are credited for the music 🤣

The most self produced "group" I know is M&D (Heechul and Jungmo) they released 2 EPs and a few singles and Heechul wrote 100% of the lyrics while Jungmo composed and arranged 100% of the music and played and recorded all the instruments. Heck Heechul even directed the MVs and designed the albums

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Self produced and it's just the assigned rapper writing 2 lines of lyrics and 10 producers are credited for the music 🤣

The most self produced "group" I know is M&D (Heechul and Jungmo) they released 2 EPs and a few singles and Heechul wrote 100% of the lyrics while Jungmo composed and arranged 100% of the music and played and recorded all the instruments. Heck Heechul even directed the MVs and designed the albums

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And best of all heechul is also a creep

• A self producer who's a creep is still a self producer. Just like how a self producer who plagiarises sometimes is still a self producer.... who plagiarises sometimes. I don't know how this is relevant to the discussion, edge lord. Did you think I'd defend Heechul or be hurt by this? Because screw Heechul for all I care 😂

Nah i just just stating his plus points. According to quantum mechanics, creep self producer >>>> just self producer

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!