how many of yall agree if i said that TOMBOY is the biggest 4th gen hit ?

• still no for me

on chart it did amazingly well

but i still personally don't see the "cultural impact " it had to be consider as the biggest 4th gen hit in comparison of Next level for example

but it's definitely a very big hit

how do measure "cultural impact" from a song's performances tho ? can u give any example of 3rd gen song (i'm not familiar with any 4th gen hits success)

• how do measure "cultural impact" from a song's performances tho ? can u give any example of 3rd gen song (i'm not familiar with any 4th gen hits success)

Cheer up

Red flavor

Love scenario

You can see that the influence of all these songs and their success was going way further than just doing great in the chart

they are just song that nobody remember how they did in the chart, but people just know that they are song with a very big impact

and you have songs who do really good in chart like SSAK3 song but have basically no "cultural impact"

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• So far it's next level bc it has insane longevity

Eleven, dalla dalla and tomboy follow after it. Nl set aepa status and it's still a hit they haven't top

Eleven help Ive set a strong base unlike dalla dalla and we still need to see if TMB hold up to the months to come but in general it doesn't seem to have help the individual members as miyeon solo flop

• It's between it and Next Level, for the moment anyways. Next Level has the time on its side, but Tomboy is definitely doing pretty great.

Also think cultural impact is a gotcha from people who don't live in Korea. All we really know of both songs is that they have been covered or referenced by a ton of idols.

• Not even just kpop fans

People from wedding, to army, to kids, to parents, grandma were listening and dancing to Next level

Next level was use as the official song for the presidential election

Plenty of MC made reference to Next level in korean variety show

they even introduce "the Next level " award at SBS entertainement for the first time this year, and aespa was performing there

and jang doyeon (the one who won) thanks aespa for the award saying that the award was introduce thanks to them

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• why people only talking from korean side :whatb: shouldn't we also consider international achievements and how the song did among kpop community

That kinda shifts things a bit, cause then you'd have to point to love dive, which is kinda barreling up on the western side of things (And in Japan) where Next Level and Tomboy aren't, even though they're bigger in Korea.

And I don't think any of the other 4th gen have put their feet in the chinese market, where Tomboy is doing crazy numbers digitally.

• i think international achievements were never considered as one of the parameters for so called "national hits" or "hits song"

unless its do crazy hella successful like dynamite

not really because even if Dynamite did very good internationally, it's not like it was only doing good internationally and doing decently in korea

it was smashing in korea and internationally too

a great example to prove your point for example would be to use Eleven or Wannabe

both songs did decently in korea, and did very good internationally

but nobody consider one of these songs as the biggest 4th gen song

so yes the advantage is usually given to Korean achievements

• That kinda shifts things a bit, cause then you'd have to point to love dive, which is kinda barreling up on the western side of things (And in Japan) where Next Level and Tomboy aren't, even though they're bigger in Korea.

And I don't think any of the other 4th gen have put their feet in the chinese market, where Tomboy is doing crazy numbers digitally.

I think BM is certified gold in qq music at least

• That kinda shifts things a bit, cause then you'd have to point to love dive, which is kinda barreling up on the western side of things (And in Japan) where Next Level and Tomboy aren't, even though they're bigger in Korea.

i think international achievements were never considered as one of the parameters for so called "national hits" or "hits song"

unless its do crazy hella successful like dynamite

international stats should be considered imo if not its just biggest hit in korea, esp when these days korea is not even the main market for some groups

• And I don't think any of the other 4th gen have put their feet in the chinese market, where Tomboy is doing crazy numbers digitally

I have to disagree about this

Aespa have set a foot in the chinese market in just few months

in less than a year they were already surpassing the numbers of followers that G-idle have on QQ music

and they are gaining lot of fans quickly in china, i wouldn't be surprise that they are #8 most follow kpop gg on QQ music in few months

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Black mamba is also the first 4th gen song to be certify gold in china

Next level too

and all their songs always reached #1 on QQ music

and Aespa was the only gg with 2 songs reaching the top 5 of the biggest kpop songs on QQ music in 2021

especially with Savage reaching #5 when from the top 10 it was the song who had the smallest tracking time (3 months only)

SO i don't really understand on what metrics are you basing your opinion to say that no 4th gen group have put a feet in china yet ????

• Those aren't bad numbers, but they're not as great as you think they are. For one, QQ is one of several large Digital streaming sites. Secondly, you gotta consider whether or not a track is paid or not (not every song on these digital streams costs money)

When I said put a foot in, I mean that SM has actually put effort into promotion of their act, either digitally or through actual promotions. And compared to what SM does for NCT ore Exo, they really haven't. Hell, Red Velvet has their albums put up for sale.

Though i doubt that won't also happen for Aespa too. Given the Weibo numbers NingNing and Winter have been doing.

• I would say cultural impact is when a random person in the streets can hear the song and recognize instantly and even sing along to it like for example Michael Jackson Thriller or for Korean song something like Bigbang Haru Haru

• If it's Korea it's still next level. Simple it got way more time to chart and had insane longevity. Tomboy peaks is bigger but it'll need to prove its equivalent longevity. Nl is still top30 if I am not mistaken.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• Is the peak really bigger? Do they have higher weekly digital numbers and ULs than NL?

I always wanted to compare the two but never came around so-

NL highest gaon point peak - 33M+ (3 weeks above 30M) ,#2

Tomboy highest gaon point peak -34M + (4 weeks above 30M) , #1

Tomboy highest daily melon ul- 528k+

Next level highest daily melon ul - 507k+

Now tomboy had multiple 500k+ ul days on melon. Nl had like 1 or 2

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• I dont know the how chinese platforms work but Gidle is signed with Netease(?) Platform in China. They dont focus on QQ music.

• This thread contains 41 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!