Nominations for Inductees into the K-pop Hall of Fame

• Recently, it seems like I've been seeing a lot of forum posts along the lines of "Who are the top girl groups currently?".

The problem with this is that people have different definitions of what "currently" actually means. Is the proper time horizon one month, one year, five years, or something else?

Thus, what I'd like to consider here is: Who are the greatest K-pop groups of all-time?

Imagine that there's a K-pop Hall of Fame opening in Seoul this year. 10 boy groups and 10 girl groups will be selected as the first members of this Hall of Fame.

Who should be chosen? Here are my selections, presented in order of debut:

BOY GROUPS

Seo Taiji and Boys (1992)

H.O.T. (1996)

Shinhwa (1998)

g.o.d (1999)

TVXQ (2003)

Super Junior (2005)

Big Bang (2006)

Shinee (2008)

EXO (2012)

BTS (2013)

GIRL GROUPS

S.E.S. (1997)

Fin.K.L (1998)

Wonder Girls (2007)

Girls' Generation (2007)

2NE1 (2009)

Sistar (2010)

Mamamoo (2014)

Red Velvet (2014)

Twice (2015)

Blackpink (2016)

SOLOISTS (added June 26)

Kim Gun-mo (1992)

Park Jin-young (1994)

Yoo Seung-jun (1997)

BoA (2000)

Psy (2001)

Kim Jong-kook (2001)

Rain (2002)

Lee Hyori (2003)

IU (2008)

G-Dragon (2009)

I'm pretty comfortable with these options. For each list, I think you could argue about one or two of my picks at the most. Thoughts?

• Op why shinee and why not beast /2pm/ infinite????

Yeah I definitely considered all three when putting together my list.

They weren't included simply because I decided to limit myself to 10 artists. If I had 15 slots to work with, they probably would have been included.

It also seems like Shinee's a bit more impactful than Beast/2PM/Infinite. For example, the group has higher physical sales than all three groups, and also has more music show wins. I'd wager that they have the best digital charting and Japanese performance as well.

Now a question to you: Which boy groups would you remove to include Beast/2PM/Infinite?

Edited 2 times, last by wsoet ().

• I would replace shinee with beast.

2pm was and is still famous in japan.

• Yes, all of them were on my radar as well. I think we have a similar situation as the post above yours where the four groups would have been included had I given myself 15 spots to work with instead of 10.

Now which girl group(s) from my list would you remove? Mamamoo is probably the most questionable entrant, but I gave them the edge given their atypical focus on vocals and de-emphasis of visuals, which bucks the trend for girl groups.

• Bringing up first gen is respectful but they don't really resonate with Ifans.

I agree about the lack of resonation with international fans. However, I feel that part of the purpose of a Hall of Fame is to educate its visitors, so First Generation groups need to be represented.

• I would replace shinee with beast.

2pm was and is still famous in japan.

Yeah I can understand replacing Shinee with Beast, since it does look like Beast has better digital charting. Though on the other hand, Shinee does have an advantage in physicals, music show wins, and Japanese performance.

As for 2PM, I agree about their presence in Japan. I'm just concerned that their digital charting strength is a bit spottier than Shinee's.

• I feel like KARA and/or T-ARA could be on the girl group list, Mamamoo and SISTAR seem less solid than the other 8 girl groups.

KARA has a huge legacy in Japan for a K-pop group, arguably top 5 of all-time (up there with TVXQ, SNSD, BTS, & TWICE). Plus they have hits like MR., STEP, Pandora, etc.

T-ARA has Lovey Dovey, Bo Beep Bo Beep, Sexy Love, and the massive Roly Poly; as well as a huge fanbase in China.

SISTAR is the weakest physically of all of them. And SoYou it seems had the most lucrative solo career of the members, but outside of an OST and Some, it was short-lived.

Mamamoo could stay on the list, but their physicals were only good for Reality in BLACK and TRAVEL, they lost their Chinese fans and are back to selling 50k on Hanteo with their recent album. Plus their hits are not as big as most of the other 3 groups' hits. I'd say HIP, Decalcomanie, and Starry Night are the only ones that can hold up.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited once, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• I feel like SHINee and Beast had bigger hits than 2PM and INFINITE (i.e. Lucifer, Sherlock, Ring Ding Dong, View, Replay for SHINee/Fiction, Good Luck, Shock, Breath, On Rainy Days, 12:30, Beautiful Night for Beast).

SHINee has lasted longer than Beast, and always had stronger physical sales. Beast was hit too hard by leaving Cube and they never really recovered.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I agree that Mamamoo is the most questionable of my picks, especially with their recent digital under-performance. I was very close to replacing them with Kara given Kara's very strong legacy in Japan, so I'm good with that substitution.

I'm a bit more comfortable with Sistar, though I also agree that I would probably remove them next after Mamamoo. For Sistar, it's their record-setting string of nine consecutive Gaon Digital #1 hits that put them over the top for me.

For T-ara, I recognize their strength in China and their iconic songs, though that's tempered somewhat by their comparatively weak charting later on in their career. That being said, I wouldn't have a problem including them in the Hall of Fame either.

• I feel like SHINee and Beast had bigger hits than 2PM and INFINITE (i.e. Lucifer, Sherlock, Ring Ding Dong, View, Replay for SHINee/Fiction, Good Luck, Shock, Breath, On Rainy Days, 12:30, Beautiful Night for Beast).

SHINee has lasted longer than Beast, and always had stronger physical sales. Beast was hit too hard by leaving Cube and they never really recovered.

Yeah it definitely seems to me that 2PM and Infinite were a notch below in terms of digital charting, which is why I opted to not include them in my list.

Now I do feel that Beast was a bit more consistent as far as digitals are concerned compared to Shinee. However, they're also a bit weaker in other key areas, which gave the edge to Shinee.

• Yeah it definitely seems to me that 2PM and Infinite were a notch below in terms of digital charting, which is why I opted to not include them in my list.

Now I do feel that Beast was a bit more consistent as far as digitals are concerned compared to Shinee. However, they're also a bit weaker in other key areas, which gave the edge to Shinee.

Yeah, Beast (as HIGHLIGHT) even had Plz Don't Be Sad as a hit in 2017.

But SHINee always had bigger tours and better physicals, plus a decent Japanese fandom to boot.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!