Way more 2nd gen female idols became popular in acting than 3rd gen female idols

• It's surprising to me, most 3rd gen idols who are acting are known more for their group image, rather than the breakouts of idols like Hello Venus Nara.
    Why? Most of 3rd gen has disbanded. Only Blackpink, Twice, Red Velvet, Mamamoo, Laboum, Oh My Girl, WJSN, Dreamcatcher, Weki Meki, Momoland are left. Out of those Laboum, Weki Meki, Momoland aren't really growing, Oh My Girl and WJSN are pretty stagnant for now. I feel like we should have seen more breakout stars than Bona, Sejeong, Mina...but there's less.

EDIT: Oh crap did Elris redebut? Them too then. CLC & Dia are p much done tbh.

Surprisingly Sexy GGs are still alive like Hey Girls, ChicAngel and Laysha but they aren't going to be acting. Brave Girls? can be on this list too since all redebuted in 3rd gen. Favorite has disbanded.

• Most 3rd gen idols simply do not have the GP appeal that 2nd gen idols had back then. We've seen similar things in variety shows where less and less full idol groups (or idols in general) guesting in big variety shows. It takes a lot for an idol to "carry" a production's name on their back and if the public doesn't know them, why should production crews cast them as the main leads? People watch the drama because it has IU, Suzy or Yoona's names on them, and a lot of 3rd gen idols do not have that public appeal.

There's been a few notable 3rd gen idol actresses like Sejeong, Bona, Mina, Chaeyeon, Yeonwoo, Solbin, etc. but Sejeong's the only one who has been the main lead in their dramas. There's also been Joy and Jisoo who's been the main lead, but it's been rocky for them to say the least.

And I see Nara more as the end of 2nd gen, but she's been taking up a lot of support characters in big projects before breaking out as a main lead. My Mister, Itaewon Class, and then Bulgasal

• Most 3rd gen idols simply do not have the GP appeal that 2nd gen idols had back then. We've seen similar things in variety shows where less and less full idol groups (or idols in general) guesting in big variety shows. It takes a lot for an idol to "carry" a production's name on their back and if the public doesn't know them, why should production crews cast them as the main leads? People watch the drama because it has IU, Suzy or Yoona's names on them, and a lot of 3rd gen idols do not have that public appeal.

There's been a few notable 3rd gen idol actresses like Sejeong, Bona, Mina, Chaeyeon, Yeonwoo, Solbin, etc. but Sejeong's the only one who has been the main lead in their dramas. There's also been Joy and Jisoo who's been the main lead, but it's been rocky for them to say the least.

And I see Nara more as the end of 2nd gen, but she's been taking up a lot of support characters in big projects before breaking out as a main lead. My Mister, Itaewon Class, and then Bulgasal

Yeah you're right. I forgot Yeonwoo, Solbin as actresses. I see Nara as more of a late 2nd gen idol too, and thats why I mentioned her, she's not super far apart in debut timing/age as some 3rd gen ggs but she's known as an actress.

• aren't idols kind of less known in general now? they used to be on a million different variety shows and had cfs constantly but it's not the same anymore, there's way less shows for them to be on and the ones that are left have awful ratings. so maybe that's why very few of them have ventured into acting? although there's time, 3rd gen is still kicking

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• aren't idols kind of less known in general now? they used to be on a million different variety shows and had cfs constantly but it's not the same anymore, there's way less shows for them to be on and the ones that are left have awful ratings. so maybe that's why very few of them have ventured into acting? although there's time, 3rd gen is still kicking

That's true but that means idols have even less solo opportunities now....it's either be solo/in music, variety, radio, youtube? or actress (musical or non-musical), and those opportunities are dwindling. I guess more idols will just be models.

Speaking of which, Wonyoung would absolutely kill acting.

• That's true but that means idols have even less solo opportunities now....it's either be solo/in music, variety, radio, youtube? or actress (musical or non-musical), and those opportunities are dwindling. I guess more idols will just be models.

Speaking of which, Wonyoung would absolutely kill acting.

that's probably why so many of them are doing youtube channels or doing youtube based shows, just because there aren't as many opportunities. but who knows, maybe there will be an idol revival 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

sk adores wonyoung, so as long as she's not terrible it would likely only do good things for her career!

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• that's probably why so many of them are doing youtube channels or doing youtube based shows, just because there aren't as many opportunities. but who knows, maybe there will be an idol revival 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

sk adores wonyoung, so as long as she's not terrible it would likely only do good things for her career!

Probably actually. I can see many idol dancers going pro-dance studio or like on SWF-esque shows, there's clearly demand for them.

Wonyoung is young, I'm sure they'll give her 7 years of acting training (and she's prob already started) to set her off on the right path.

• Probably because the top female idols haven't ventured themselves into acting as much as 2nd gen? Suzy and Yoona had dramas when they were rookies.

Joy was the only one in 3rd gen getting a drama as a rookie I believe, Jisoo did it when she was 5 years old in the industry and Irene got her acting debut on her 6th year while she was going through an scandal. Twice hasn't had one neither and the other most populars idols like Jennie or Hwasa hasn't shown interest in acting.

• that's probably why so many of them are doing youtube channels or doing youtube based shows, just because there aren't as many opportunities. but who knows, maybe there will be an idol revival 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Couldnt it be the other way around, that youtube and other social medias rise have made the need for idols to try to get known via variety shows and acting jobs obsolete? Given even a small but dedicated fandom that watches the shows on yotube etc probably bring in more alot more money than any tv shows appearances could ever do.

For me it seems more like idols stopped appearing on variety shows when the companies realised they could do their own shows on youtube and actually be paid for it.

• Couldnt it be the other way around, that youtube and other social medias rise have made the need for idols to try to get known via variety shows and acting jobs obsolete? Given even a small but dedicated fandom that watches the shows on yotube etc probably bring in more alot more money than any tv shows appearances could ever do.

For me it seems more like idols stopped appearing on variety shows when the companies realised they could do their own shows on youtube and actually be paid for it.

Valid point.

The Gaon guy also made the point. With the rise of fan(atic)Doms, it is more effective to appeal only to the fandom, than bother about general public exposure.

"Silo" model.

Kind of like politics, where it is more important to appeal to the party base and get them to vote, than bother capturing the unaffiliated.

Broadcast/acting was the "commons", but why bother when couple of millions fans are dedicated subscribers to siloed content.

Even though GP numbers might look more, the common public are window shoppers, very rarely will they commit, (like IU) whereas fandoms have greater stickiness and conversion to money better.

Another factor is that, with social media popularity, producers aren't dependent only on idol popularity to leverage for dramas,

Avenues to become popular have increased.

2nd gen and earlier are more broadcast based and hence have more GP exposure.

The Social Media generation are far more siloed.

• Couldnt it be the other way around, that youtube and other social medias rise have made the need for idols to try to get known via variety shows and acting jobs obsolete? Given even a small but dedicated fandom that watches the shows on yotube etc probably bring in more alot more money than any tv shows appearances could ever do.

I disagree here. Acting and TV appearances definitely bring in a lot more money, combined with the CFs that come in when you get public recognition. If idols could guest on more TV variety shows, the companies would definitely send them on, it brings in a lot more fans, get their music known to more people, and more CF opportunities.

• Yoona was acting from her FIRST YEAR after debut.

Even Lee Jieun was acting during her Good Day fame.

2nd Gen idols often acted while promoting.

But 3rd Gen idols are generally not allowed to act because of the companies' 'all fan' attitude.

It was quite unusual for Joy to act in a drama which didn't go anywhere (and I think it was produced by SM), although that kept her from going to North Korea.

Jisoo acted during a long hiatus, and she was acting before (she had a small role in the drama Producers, playing second fiddle to the person at the bottom of my post.)

Solbin was allowed to act because her group was going nowheree (and various Laboum members all acted, although in small roles).

If a group has a high demand in the overseas it is hard for companies to allow members to act which takes a lot of time away from promotion

Personally I think Wonyoung should have been put into some kind of drama to hone her acting skills, but IVE has too much demand now

• 3rd gen will take off more in upcoming years, the typical 7 year contracts would be winding up.

2nd gen did acting/variety in parallel, 3rd gen does YouTube/Instagram/Vlive in parallel. Different dynamics.

With Sejeong, possibly Bona, the break out set of idol-actress have arrived.

And then DO, Eunwoo, Rowoon are doing well.

• It seems companies don't even try anymore. Yoona, Suzy, IU, Uee, Goo Hara, Krystal, Jiyeon, Eunjung, etc were acting since their years as rookies. From recent generations only Joy and Sejeong come to my mind as popular idols who started acting at the start of their careers. The rest of Twice, BP, mamamoo and gfriend didn't really had acting members

Yerin of GFriend acted in a web drama starring Nam Taehyun, who was with Winner at that time

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Unfortunately for Yerin, Yuju's falling incident put GFriend on the map, which is why Yerin is not that friendly with Yuju since if Yerin went into acting because GF had flopped Yerin would have taken Sejeong's current position.

• I disagree here. Acting and TV appearances definitely bring in a lot more money, combined with the CFs that come in when you get public recognition. If idols could guest on more TV variety shows, the companies would definitely send them on, it brings in a lot more fans, get their music known to more people, and more CF opportunities.

True, but how many actually break it through and manage to get to a point where they are offered the more lucrative cf deals?

Nugu idols afaik is basically paid minimum wages for variety shows appearances, and its very few of them that actually have some kinda of success and hit it big with the public .From a companies point of view i would think they see youtube/social media as a more reliable way to build up a fanbase that in turn can bring income, rather than hoping they have the next Suzy in their group.

• Less appeal with public is my guess. 2G were very popular so they regularly went on tv shows and dramas. Being popular meant there was potential sector to tap into so that led roles for dramas being open to them if they wished.

• 3rd gen will take off more in upcoming years, the typical 7 year contracts would be winding up.

2nd gen did acting/variety in parallel, 3rd gen does YouTube/Instagram/Vlive in parallel. Different dynamics.

With Sejeong, possibly Bona, the break out set of idol-actress have arrived.

And then DO, Eunwoo, Rowoon are doing well.

A lot of smaller BGs are following the Astro path, the DKZ? boygroup thats quite nugu is blowing up thanks to that acting member. I'm more surprised about the( smaller) amount of female idols in acting in comparison.

True, but how many actually break it through and manage to get to a point where they are offered the more lucrative cf deals?

Nugu idols afaik is basically paid minimum wages for variety shows appearances, and its very few of them that actually have some kinda of success and hit it big with the public .From a companies point of view i would think they see youtube/social media as a more reliable way to build up a fanbase that in turn can bring income, rather than hoping they have the next Suzy in their group.

I know festivals pay best for nugus, and midtier groups, like why Wooah is on a ton of festivals rn.

Yerin of GFriend acted in a web drama starring Nam Taehyun, who was with Winner at that time

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Unfortunately for Yerin, Yuju's falling incident put GFriend on the map, which is why Yerin is not that friendly with Yuju since if Yerin went into acting because GF had flopped Yerin would have taken Sejeong's current position.

Success is very difficult in acting. Even if Yerin had gone into acting earlier there was no guarantee she would be as big as Sejeong is now, plenty of rookie idols flopped at acting + Sejeong had the name power from IOI or an edge while casting for good dramas. Also isn't Yerin the most popular member from Gfriend when they were an idol group at their peak? I really doubt she didn't want Gfriend to get big, even now she has a loyal group of Buddies following her acting moves.

• Yes, but why are you expecting so many though?

It's very hard to both be an idol and a singer.

Especially for women in the industry.

And be very good at it?

Hm that's true. I wasn't expecting a lot per say, but there's less compared to last gen where acting was considered a common pathway into making it big ie APINK Eunji's popularity really blew up with Reply, Hyeri blew up and continued w acting, Nana, Uee, Suzy, IU, even Minah, Jihyun, Victoria did p well. Idols like Sooyoung were more appreciated as actors, Yoona, maybe Seohyun were critically successful..etc.

Not all of these idols were good at acting but they were more successful.

• Not really. Bona has yet to take on the main lead in a drama, and 2521 was her first breakout role.

Sejeong has been taking on the main role since her first ever project, and has a number of hit projects already like Uncanny Counter and Business Proposal.

I am talking about right now.

Sejeong isn't doing much press.

Check the numbers on her Insta vs Bona's Insta.

And I am in no way or form dissing Sejeong.

I actually like her and her drama.

But Bona's numbers are higher.

I guess having a better agency does pay after all.

• Idk about 3rd gen, but I’d love to see Starship let Yujin do acting gigs

She’s already showcased her potential and talent several times

External Content youtu.be

External Content youtu.be

And I believe that she would kill it if only Starship gave her the chance

• Lol what? I'm not one to dig too much into the numbers but..

Sejeong has 6.9m followers vs Bona's 1.4m.

Sejeong's posts averaging at least 1 mil likes, Bona's posts getting barely 600k?

What sort of numbers are you looking in here mate?

• Also interesting that all the ones finding success and recognition in acting currently at good scale is from non big3. Be it male or female

In 3rd gen most big3 groups are still going on w more group activities and had less acting training ie I think Yeri has potential to be more successful outside of RV. Twice hasn't done any acting too.....

In 2nd gen I'd say 2pm takes the acting cake: Junho, Nickhyun and Taecyeon had acclaim. Siwon (SUJU), even Yoochun, Junsu(?) were/are popular for their acting, but non-Big 3, L was crazy good, ZEA, Wang Yibo, B1A4 Jinyoung...etc. In 3rd gen Rowoon, Chani, BTOB Sungjae...etc. 3rd gen big 3 has Jinyoung.

But even at this time, Krystal had blown up in her first drama and the Heirs, Sulli was acting, there's no one with that kind of impact with female idols. Closest is Bona and Sejeong for sure. only 4 idols have breakout roles that were big: Bona, Sejeong, Chaeyeon and Mina.

Yeonwoo is acting, hasn't had a hit, CLC has been too, Doyeon, Joy..etc

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!