How do you feel about plastic surgery in the idol industry?

• Personally, I don't understand why some people seem so resistant to the idea that their faves may have made a few tweaks here or there. I don't think there's anything wrong with it if they choose to do it and it makes them happy. I only am against it if they feel pressured to do it (by their company or due to strict beauty standards), they do it more than medically advised, or if they do it while underage. Otherwise it's fine and I don't think there's anything wrong with noticing it.

• should be banned on minors regardless

otherwise unless forced on them, its ok idc

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There body their choice.

However many underage kpop idols undergo PS and it makes you wonder whether it was their choice or that of their company.

Besides some of them go to the extreme and yet get advertised as the second coming of Venus. They set such unrealistic beauty standard to young fans especially 😣 I mean I have seen some here worship a particular female idol for her looks saying she is out of this world... Well yeah dude it's obviously PS! What do you expect?

• If they're an adult and they're the one making the choice? Go for it. It's so weird to see people from countries where it's shamed more because no one shames people for correcting their teeth or getting lasik surgery.

However I know that for some it can become an addiction so if it starts getting to that point, I would hope someone intervenes to get them treatment.

• I am ok with it even though it's unhealthy. That's the pressure of being celebrity. You have to sell your face. Isn't it same for western industry? The big problem is how normalized it is in the country itself. It could be because entertainment is their major export. They see a celebrity and want to have a face like them, eat like them, go to the same place. Just stop. The obsession to be like celebrities needs to stop and the country needs to do campaigns to make people be content with their their own face. They need to brainwash this obsession out of their heads.

• I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, as long as the idol isn’t being pressured to do so by their respective companies. I wish the beauty standards in the industry isn’t so stringent but that’s another topic for another day.

• As people said, as long as they are happy with it and doing it for the right reasons. Of course, there are some idols I wish wouldn't have gotten X done, but my opinion is irrelevant.

• If they're an adult and they're the one making the choice? Go for it. It's so weird to see people from countries where it's shamed more because no one shames people for correcting their teeth or getting lasik surgery.

However I know that for some it can become an addiction so if it starts getting to that point, I would hope someone intervenes to get them treatment.

i think tooth correction or lasik is different though. Lasik is about function. Teeth can be about function too. Braces aren't always aesthetic. Bite correction can be important. And people do make fun of veneers especially if they are bad.

But yes, people shouldn't be shamed for plastic surgery even if it's for pure aesthetics.

• If, IF they want it, IF they are okay with it, they can do as they wish. IF they are forced into it, then I feel it's wrong. I've seen celebrities do it out of force and then regret it. They should never be FORCED to do something they aren't okay with; it will lead to resentment and other possible traumas down the road. As for them doing it, i don't care. I don't like myself, and if i was to do something that gave me more confidence about myself, that allows me to feel happier, than i'm going to do it. If they are unhappy with something about them, and doing this gives them happiness, by all means go be happy.

• I don't believe any idol should be shamed for it and it is fairly common place.

BUT I think criticism is deserved for the strict and excessive society beauty standards in SK. It's not even just about looks but rigid adherence to certain desirable features...This should be examined and I hope it changes. When I first got into Kpop I thought hwasa was one of the most beautiful and striking female idols -- only to discover she was thought of as not good looking enough.

Also it should not be lost on anyone - that some of these female idols may not want plastic surgery and are instead shamed into it by their company staff/netizen comments. The society that creates a space where majority of idols get plastic surgery is the same one that went after chaeryeong from ITZY with pitchforks because she dared to debut with her normal face ----- like she's not prettier than the majority of Korean girls off the street who haven't made a trip to the surgeon's office.

• i love my faves even if they had everything changed but i just dont like people forcing the idea of "EVERYONE PLASTIC BRO" in people's faces

if they look identical to predebut there's a good chance they are 99% natural and people should stop trying to analyze every part of idols' faces to call them plastic

ive seen many features of my own face including its entire structure change with age and it would hurt if someone called me plastic just to make themselves feel smart

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Kpop stans have the tendency to make jokes and say offensive stuff towards idols who have undergone plastic surgery. It's hilarious because 90% of the industry has done that, just there are some more visible changes in some and not that noticeable ones at others.

Most recent case is when Sakura's teaser pics went out. The first thing people commented on was plastic surgery. The nasty words about her I saw in twitter... That's a personal choice, one people shouldn't be shamed for. It's still treated as a taboo by the international fandoms and it's saddening. Like what does it bother you so much about what someone else does with their face?

• i don't have a problem with it, because if I had the opportunity, i would do it myself lmao. probably like all the people here dragging idols for it. but i don't understand when companies force idols to do so, or hurt them with excessive procedures to earn money from their uniqueness. it's disgusting.

+ they lose their unique features at all costs by being a typical kpop idol. you just can tell that some idols truly regret it.

• Underage plastic surgery is a no no. Also, I would support the whole idea of doing plastic surgery more if people talked about the bad sides and more openly about it. The mindset about PS in K-Pop or Korea generally is just bad (“do it but don’t tell it”). It further worsens the already bad lookism that people have. There are idols who look fully done - nothing wrong with it - but you see a lot of people and especially K-Pop stans claiming they are natural even though their PS is obvious. This is what I mean. People have become so used to certain procedures unconsciously that they cannot even see the difference and it slowly turns into a hard-reach standard. Another example is instagram. I have never seen such an obvious and extreme photoshopping of photos (more than even the Kardashians) than on Korean instagram. It’s just as I have explained, when PS procedures are assumed as natural traits, people will get used to it and won’t see the difference. I hate the bs narrative of less is more (e.g. makeup or ps) but people should talk about what they have done and not act as if it’s all natural. I also think like this when it’s about the Brazilian Butlift where certain influencer act as if you get such a butt in a week working out in the gym and stuff like that.

• South Korea has a huge plastic surgery industry, so it stands to reason a lot of idols will have tweaks here and there.

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, if it makes people feel happy then I think that's great. If someone wants to change their appearance, that's up to them.

On the other, it can set unrealistic beauty expectations for fans and idols can be forced to have it done to fit narrow beauty standards.

• i'm gonna have a controversial opinion rn.

i think plastic surgery shouldn't be normalized. i don't believe idols get plastic surgery because they want to, but because they feel like they have to to fit into beauty standards and are insecure about the way they look or likely because the company is pressuring them into it. i don't think plastic surgery should be used to make anyone feel better about themselves because it just leads to that person finding other things that need to be "fixed" until it's never ending and they end up completely botched. not always, but often enough that i see it everywhere online and even sometimes in real life.

not that i think idols should be made fun of or looked down on bc i fully understand why they get work done, and it's so prevalent in sk with their super rigid beauty standards. but yeah. even for my faves. it makes me really sad when i see before and after pictures of idols, or even sometimes when they comeback with entirely new face, like there was something wrong with their old one.

i'm not necessarily against plastic surgery, but i'm not for it either.

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• i'm not very observant so i cant even tell usually what exactly someone tweaked in their features unless its something like jaw shaving

i'm always like "hey this person looks different, probably got something done lol"

This whole time I thought the perfectly shaped jaw line (I notice this mostly on the women) and v-shaped chin was a natural facial structure =O Because I was thinking, man korean women hit the genetic lottery with their jaw lines. This is due to mainly to jaw shaving?

• This thread contains one more post that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!