How do you think "uneeded" idols feel?

• I posted a Dara post earlier, and I remember that Dara always cried because she said she wasn't good at anything. When I saw 2ne1 tv, Bom tried consoling her, but she mentions it to this day. I know that she wasn't like the most talented or whatever but I actually don't think that's necessary.

If every member is amazing at something, sometimes that diminishes the overall effect of the group...as confusing as it sounds.

And for me I liked Dara, not really because she was pretty (I found Minzy pretty too) but because she was the most active with fans.

Yeri got a lot of hate at first, and even now. But we're all just hypothetically speaking when people say Red Velvet don't need Yeri. Dara was one of the most popular members and she felt like that. Poor Yeri got all the hate.

Warning: Eating Disorder

Now Shuhua, back on the old forum did get threads saying that she was useless. I am not a Nevie so idk how it is like for her now, but she does seem to be good at variety, and kinda like Yeri, seems to be very social and open.

I KNOW all the Orbits on the old forum were super worried about BBC giving some Loona members very little lines and promo in their groups, and I remember Yeojin(?) not getting a lot of spotlight and another member (VIVI??).

I think one more person was Jihyun from 4minute, but I don't think she really got hated, but she never really had stage presence compared to other members like Gayoon and Hyuna, which in a group like that, makes her stick out.

So, remember that if you think that an idol is useless, they probably know and think it too. Nevertheless they are there and we should support them.

TLDR: People's arguments make no sense

• Like shit, just like we feel when we aren't "enough" and get fired. But it's so much worse because they have millions of people calling them ugly, flops, talentess. I stopped all toxic behaviour in this forum (so far pls I don't need to be triggered) because I don't wanna be the reason a idol is depressed or kills himself.

• Like shit, just like we feel when we aren't "enough" and get fired. But it's so much worse because they have millions of people calling them ugly, flops, talentess. I stopped all toxic behaviour in this forum (so far pls I don't need to be triggered) because I don't wanna be the reason a idol is depressed or kills himself.

Agreed but not even taking that to the extreme, I feel like then they'd also want to leave.

You can't have it both ways, and if they feel they're a burden, that manifests in so many ways.

I hate to make assumptions but that may have been Jine's case as well, because she worked so so hard, but the camera NEVER (???) focused on her before she left.

• Agreed but not even taking that to the extreme, I feel like then they'd also want to leave.

You can't have it both ways, and if they feel they're a burden, that manifests in so many ways.

I hate to make assumptions but that may have been Jine's case as well, because she worked so so hard, but the camera NEVER (???) focused on her before she left.

I would cry everyday to sleep. I already have so many selfsteem issues and no one related tk how I look. But if I ever ventured into the Idol word that would change real quick.

• They should feel grateful they're getting paid and get to live with members who are like family.

I kind of disagree with both.

Very few groups are like a family (based on how friendship dynamics work) and for sure, popularity and other factors will cause some strain between the members in most cases.

Also not all people get paid. People here tend to inflate idols income. Idols usually get most of their income through real estate, cfs and other endorsements, and some companies do not pay idols at all. Look at groups like Fiestar and such, that got fairly popular, but actually never got paid a single cent. I think Brave Girls are finally making more than 2 dollars :)) but it was very hard for them.

FTISLAND worked for 5 years nonstop before their first paycheck

EXID for 3 but hit many setbacks later

AOA for 3 years

in 2018 DIA said that they had not gotten any income with the exception of Chaeyeon iirc, and that was 3 years ahead.

Momoland's Yeonwoo mentioned she had not gotten paid after many years :

Korean Link: (https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=076&aid=0003385510)

And these examples at least were able to pay off trainee debt.

• They should feel grateful they're getting paid and get to live with members who are like family.

That’s a bit unsympathetic. “Oh you have self image issues and depression, well at least you’re getting paid and have family. You shouldn’t be depressed”. Most people with mental health issues recognize the good things they have whether that be family or resources, and it makes them feel guiltier because they might feel they aren’t worthy of it.

I just think it’s more complicated then that. People can’t control their thoughts and feelings constantly and having good things isn’t enough to stop negative thoughts all the time.

For that matter, not all idols are family to each other. Some just see themselves as colleagues which I suppose can increase feelings isolation for some idols...

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• That’s a bit unsympathetic. “Oh you have self image issues and depression, well at least you’re getting paid and have family. You shouldn’t be depressed”. Most people with mental health issues recognize the good things they have whether that be family or resources, and it makes them feel guiltier because they might feel they aren’t worthy of it.

I just think it’s more complicated then that. People can’t control their thoughts and feelings constantly and having good things isn’t enough to stop negative thoughts all the time.

^^^

Even if you're rich and have family...that doesn't mean you can't have problems

• When it comes to Shuhua, even as a Nevie, I can see that she is indeed the least talented member of the group. Does it mean she's useless? Clearly not as she has many fans who adore her. Her fellow members love her. That's why I don't think she feels particularly bad about her position in the group and what some people might say. Now if she were in another group, in a less friendly environment, it would be a different story. Chances are, if not for these members, she wouldn't have debuted anyway.

For the other groups, it's harder to say. Woo!ah! had a member leave the group only a few months after their debut; no specific reason was given. It's true that she barely had any lines, was not the center at any point... She might have felt overlooked and misused. Hopefully we won't hear from her that she got mistreated, bullied or anything like that.

• When it comes to Shuhua, even as a Nevie, I can see that she is indeed the least talented member of the group. Does it mean she's useless? Clearly not as she has many fans who adore her. Her fellow members love her. That's why I don't think she feels particularly bad about her position in the group and what some people might say. Now if she were in another group, in a less friendly environment, it would be a different story. Chances are, if not for these members, she wouldn't have debuted anyway.

For the other groups, it's harder to say. Woo!ah! had a member leave the group only a few months after their debut; no specific reason was given. It's true that she barely had any lines, was not the center at any point... She might have felt overlooked and misused. Hopefully we won't hear from her that she got mistreated, bullied or anything like that.

I am glad the dynamic is like that. There were rumors that in some groups, some uneeded members were yelled at (by the company and by their members) and I think some of Dara's resentment at being useless was that her knowing that YG called them ugly and bad a lot as a group, and she was put in for visuals, which the other contenders for 2ne1 did not like and openly shaded her on music shows and such when talking about YG.

that’s why I don’t comment or say anything. But positive things because that one positive comment can help them.

• well sometimes that's life...

you can work hard and harder than everybody else yet somebody is betting looking or just naturally more friendly or intelligent or whatever reason...they get it (whatever it is) and you don't...

sometimes it's luck...

make do with what you got...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!