Rant about plastic surgery

• I have nothing against plastic surgery in most cases

i know there's as many people who get it out of necessity as ones that get it for vanity ( which, i mean, its their money so )

but the most dangerous part about PS, even worse than losing sense of your own identity, is the addiction it can lead to esp as people age and more "flaws" appear that they want to fix

yeah this rant is mainly about one idol i wont name

she used to be ( and still is ) loved for both her talent and visuals and while she might not have been the definitive standard, she atleast had very unique features that gave her her signature look

and its not like anyone complained either

then she started "fixing" stuff slowly one by one

everyone knew it was happening but hey she was still serving visuals so no one cared ( i know a lot of haters did but they're haters so )

at one point it peaked

close to perfection

nothing else left to "fix"

but she didnt stop

she was clearly obsessed with her appearance at this point

today i was shocked i confused her completely with another one of the typical plastic clones

and it hit me hard how MUCH of her face had changed, even from a few years back

now this is not meant to hate her

I'm not a huge fan but I do absolutely love and respect her for her talent

but MAN normalizing plastic surgery is leading more and more to addictions like these and it makes me both sad and angry

thanks for coming to my rant

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• yeah, getting addicted to wanting to change your appearance constantly and just never being satisfied with yourself can be a sad thing

• I was watching rookie cops kdrama yesterday and some lines about eyelid surgery killed me...

Main female character compared decision of career path as being police officer to 'people who are doing eyelid surgery can't sleep day before because they are thinking if it will suit them well'

I was like wtf :pepefacepalm:

As for my own opinion.

No ps allowed for minors - unless there was some bad accident and is done to 'repair' what was damaged to it's original state.

Also there should be ban for thn chubby now skinny girls to do breast augmentation... Same with those 'fitness coaches'. Because later they post photos on Instagram and create unrealistic standards and tricking young girls. :pepeshut:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I feel like you’re talking about a produce idol 👀

But yeah everyone’s entitled to what they do to their body, but when the changes they’ve made don’t actually look better than how they looked before it’s just sad to see for how unnecessary it all was

• One of the saddest examples was in one of my favourite 2nd gen groups. They are long disbanded, but one of the members changed her appearance so much that her face barely moves now. But the company is to blame, constantly criticising the way they looked..

I don't want to name names, but I guess it's probably easy to work out. It is a shame when it reaches a point where the person is almost unrecognisable.

• I feel like doctors have a responsibility to say no at a certain point; that they've accidentally enabled or triggered an addicting behavior. (I say accidentally, since it's not like they can know that the first nose job or whatever is going to lead to 20 more requests.)

I don't even know who OP is talking about because I can think of quite a few idols these days whose faces have changed pretty drastically. It's honestly really distracting, and it's sad that they have no one in their life to say, you know, you really don't need to triple the size of your lips.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• I feel like you’re talking about a produce idol 👀

But yeah everyone’s entitled to what they do to their body, but when the changes they’ve made don’t actually look better than how they looked before it’s just sad to see for how unnecessary it all was

what produce idol has been in the industry that long

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• it’s been 6 years since the first produce show aired and that’s longer than the life span of many groups so…. 🥸

hmm

indeed its been long

but no its not a produce idol

although i can think of a produce idol who's going down the same road

u r m o m g a y

• I hate plastic surgery for two reasons.

Some people take it too far to the point they look unnatural, and by then, they are at the point of no return. They can either keep going to "fix" what they messed up in the first place, or live with what they have done. Most people can't fix it. It just is what it is at that point. And no part of me believes people ACTUALLY want to look plastic, but that's just the consequence of going to the wrong doctor or going one step too far. Like when all of APINK went and got a round of nose jobs, and they went to the wrong doctor 100%. They should have gone to SM's person. It's like, once you let the doctor take a piece of you like that, they can't put it back. So, you have to think hard before making that decision, and some people just...don't.

Another reason I hate it is because of selfish reasons. I KNOW some of my faves got work done (not going to say who I think did because I might have to fight someone on here lmao), but I think their previous looks were so much prettier. And, I HATE that they changed their look to fit some kind of standard or that they were insecure about that part of their selves and changed it when I thought it was beautiful. It's their body, and they can do what they want. But, I don't have to like it. I have to accept it, and I should not disparage them for it. But, I'm entitled to my preference.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Some people take it too far to the point they look unnatural, and by then, they are at the point of no return. They can either keep going to "fix" what they messed up in the first place, or live with what they have done. Most people can't fix it. It just is what it is at that point. And no part of me believes people ACTUALLY want to look plastic, but that's just the consequence of going to the wrong doctor or going one step too far. Like when all of APINK went and got a round of nose jobs, and they went to the wrong doctor 100%. They should have gone to SM's person.

I can’t speak for the other members because I don’t follow them enough to notice a difference, but I still can’t wrap my brain around why Naeun and Namjoo decided to get work done in recent years. For sure, if you want PS done, go to SMs doctors, they actually make you look natural

• I can’t speak for the other members because I don’t follow them enough to notice a difference, but I still can’t wrap my brain around why Naeun and Namjoo decided to get work done in recent years. For sure, if you want PS done, go to SMs doctors, they actually make you look natural

Yeah, I still think Naeun looked prettier before, but SK seems to love her visuals as they are. So, I guess it's just a me thing/preference. Namjoo, I just feel bad about since people made it such a big deal back then. Though, no one really seems to care now.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Gonna point this out

if people with plastic surgery have kids.....

then the real emotional stress begins especially for celebrity parents

because people are going to look at the kid and go *oh so that's what they looked like, eww*

1. the people are going to be calling the kid ugly (how can they not, the plastic surgery elevates the beauty comparison so the kid always fails -- still cruel though)

2. The people are going to reflect the perceived "ugliness" of the kid onto the celeb and say the celeb is a fake, etc. & etc.

Its one thing to get plastic surgery to smooth over a deformity, mutation, or injury; its another thing when you already have a good face but were pressured to do the extra mile.

• Another reason I hate it is because of selfish reasons. I KNOW some of my faves got work done (not going to say who I think did because I might have to fight someone on here lmao), but I think their previous looks were so much prettier. And, I HATE that they changed their look to fit some kind of standard or that they were insecure about that part of their selves and changed it when I thought it was beautiful. It's their body, and they can do what they want. But, I don't have to like it. I have to accept it, and I should not disparage them for it. But, I'm entitled to my preference.

its true everyone should be entitled to their preferences when it comes to things like beauty

but even without you personally being selfish, it IS sad that instead of helping people accept their flaws and own their uniqueness, we just encourage spending money to become an inauthentic version of themslves

its like everyone HAS to be attractive on this world which nature will never allow

now it is true that its their money so their wish but that doesnt mean its an extremely destructive mentality

esp cause they'll most likely be even more self conscious for the rest of their lives ( and likely do more surgery later )

u r m o m g a y

• i think its natural for people to be attracted to beauty

but instead of teaching people to accept however they look, that even if they are not pretty to everyone, they are the only version of themselves, is not being promoted at all

there's two extreme things happening that you pointed out

either force people to find everything beautiful

or force people to change themselves to suit what everyone finds beautiful

why not just accept everyone is different and not everyone will be equally beautiful in everyone's eyes

u r m o m g a y

• Yeah, you don't see people saying to alcoholics and drug addicts, "As long as they are happy! It's their body and their money."

Edited once, last by keyboardwarrior7 ().

• it makes me so sad to see idols who are beautiful to begin with but seem unable to see it and keep getting more and more work done. they end up looking unrecognizable at best, uncanny valley and stiff at worst.

makes me want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them and tell them to stop. but i know when you start getting work done like that you always find something new to "fix" and you'll never be satisfied

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• I can't imagine being as obsessed with what other people do to their bodies as the people in this thread are. Slippery slope to conservatism.

HA !

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don’t know how I feel about it.

It’s like guys preaching body positivity and yet who’s there when girls with fake xxxx are on tv/tiktok/dating shows etc?

You can be positive and there’s a guy/girl for everyone but realistically you don’t get anywhere if you’re ugly.

• Idols aside, plastic surgery is common amongst Koreans in general so…. there’s a deeper level of cultural obsession with it.

But hey, that’s what fans expect also. So that’s what fans get. Then as soon as an idol “goes too far” with plastic surgery all of a sudden they’re worried about the entertainer…. sorry that’s not how that works.

Maybe if fans stopped expecting every idol to have fake oval faces and fake double eye lids then maybe we can have normal faced idols as the norm of kpop. But that’s a long shot.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• Too much of anything is bad unfortunately, self control is needed in cases like these. I have an idea of who OP might be talking about...

honestly there’s a few idols who you can say have gotten too much work done…

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

• I really feel bad. I'm not the type to really care whether someone is natural or not as I have said before in much more vulgar terms lmao, if someone is pretty then they are pretty. The problem is that people will criticize them if they are natural and have flaws, demanding surgery. Then they will get mad at PS because its fake.

That’s the problem with the kpop fandom especially knets. They themselves forget everyday Koreans don’t naturally look like how they want kpop idols, especially female ones, to look like.

Doesn’t help that you have companies that pressure you to get it.

People forget idols are pressured to not only get plastic surgery, but to go on inhumane diets to achieve a certain look. Sure someone can just get a double eyelid surgery, seems minor enough, but if you suffer from a mental disorder that plastic surgery is not going to truly help with it in the long run. Then mix that with the pressure of looking a certain way, it’s a recipe for disaster.

• It's body dysmorphia. No matter what they fix, they still see flaws and unfortunately there are a lot of shitty doctors who just want money and will continue to prey on them. I have a coworker who had weight loss surgery and finally saved enough money for plastic surgery to deal with her excess skin, the doctor she went to initially tried to talk her into getting her breasts and face augmented too. Thankfully she realized it and found a better doctor, but there are so many people out there on the edge because of illness and these leeches are shoving them off.

I really do think that plastic surgery should require at least one mental health consult before it happens. I'm all for taking the steps to change something you don't like, but I just think there should be precautions.

• I have no issue with plastic surgery if it is to correct a disfigurement from an accident, but if it is just to change their looks and get repeated procedures done to a point where their face is unrecognisable like some Hollywood stars then it's a bit questionable imo.

• I have no issue with plastic surgery if it is to correct a disfigurement from an accident, but if it is just to change their looks and get repeated procedures done to a point where their face is unrecognisable like some Hollywood stars then it's a bit questionable imo.

face AND body, then they try to pass it off as natural by marketing products to young fans that they can just buy a body lotion to get the same look. It’s disgusting.

• Yeah, I still think Naeun looked prettier before, but SK seems to love her visuals as they are. So, I guess it's just a me thing/preference. Namjoo, I just feel bad about since people made it such a big deal back then. Though, no one really seems to care now.

No it's not just you.

Naeun is one of my minor biases. And think she was one that most beautiful girls I've ever seen prior to surgery. She had nothing to fix. She's still one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen. But I think she was definitely prettier before.

I think that there's a belief and sometimes outside pressure that one has to have a perfect sculpted face that surgery strives for. A belief that that "perfection" is what makes one beautiful. But I think it goes against how often people actually perceive beauty. The natural character of a face often has a beauty and charm that is actually what draws that attraction. Because it emphasizes their unique character, rather than a template.

For instance, Naeun got her nose done presumably because she thought her natural nose wasn't attractive enough, probably thought it was too big and flat. But I think actually it gave her a lot of charm. She had a cute pudgyness about her nose that complemented her beauty so well in its own way. I still remember some of her older selcas. Her smile and nose were some of the most adorable things I loved about her look.

She's still absolutely gorgeous. But some of that original quirk of natural features was lost unnecessarily.

If she's happy and content. I'm happy for her. And am not trying to tell her she made the wrong choice.

But I definitely am in the camp of being cautious about surgery. I think it's something that is a very hard thing to do. And a lot of the time I don't think the doctors are able to do it well, even the supposed expert ones.. And I think people discount their own natural charm. And can have the potential to reinforce insecurities. And as you indicated above. It's often a situation you can never reverse once you commit.

I'm not necessarily anti-plastic surgery. As my ultimate bias Yoona has had surgery. Hers I think is one of the rare instances where whatever doctors or process they did turned out incredible.

But I think it's a tricky endeavor with permanent life altering consequences. And I hope people really consider why they want do change themselves in that way, and if it's best for them.

Any way I'm rambling.

• its ok to ramble

this is a rant thread anyway

i dont care if it offends anyone

u r m o m g a y

• That’s the problem with the kpop fandom especially knets. They themselves forget everyday Koreans don’t naturally look like how they want kpop idols, especially female ones, to look like.

Doesn’t help that you have companies that pressure you to get it.

People forget idols are pressured to not only get plastic surgery, but to go on inhumane diets to achieve a certain look. Sure someone can just get a double eyelid surgery, seems minor enough, but if you suffer from a mental disorder that plastic surgery is not going to truly help with it in the long run. Then mix that with the pressure of looking a certain way, it’s a recipe for disaster.

well this got carried away real fast

the idol i was talking about didnt just get the mandatory company "fix"

there's many idols that keep tweaking constantly with age and at one point it gets too jarring

u r m o m g a y

• I wish I knew which idol OP is talking about. :/

But yeah, I wish idols and people in general were more accepting of their looks. Lots of idols do some work on their face even though they already look great the way they are. That's unfortunate, especially when it's overdone and doesn't look natural anymore.

• I think the issue is everything in moderation...

anything done too much whether it be food, PS, drugs etc etc becomes an addition and is a bad thing...

moderation is key!!!

• I said it before, some people want to change something about their appearance not because there is one thing that bothers them, but the fact that they are extremely insecure in their looks. This is a mental issue and no amount of ps will let them be satisfied with themself.

That’s why I think it’s a surgeon’s responsibility to say no to someone who became addicted.

It’s better to work on loving yourself the way you are and not caring much about other opinions. I know for a celebrity who is constantly judged by their looks its hard. But if you don’t learn how to accept yourself you will keep up changing things on your face or body.

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!