Do you wish you knew less about kpop idols?

• in my opinion, I wish we knew less about them. I feel that as singers, they are doing an art just like a painter or sculptor. i feel as if the music should just be a showcase (similar to a gallery), where we don't know as much about the artist but we know that they made the art and we know they have a personal meaning for the art.

i see how this can be a problem currently in kpop, where most artists do not create their own music (mostly... depends on the idol though.) but have a team creating the music for them and they just sing/perform the music.

now, i do realize that is the whole point of kpop is to "feel like you know your idol", but to a certain point, it feels like intrusion. like why should i know your blood type and your brother's name and your personal life details? i enjoy not knowing all the ins and outs about an idols life.

• the whole point of idol industry is to engage with parasocial relationships for profit.

for sure, there's a lot of entertainment and talented people behind this, but comparing how was the idol industry a decade ago and now, how much these interactions between idols and fans became a lot more stronger with chats like bubble and weverse, Vlives, reality shows, and many other sources and how the industry blew up as a result, you can clearly see that this worked and tbvh, it's indeed nice to follow as a fan.

as long as boundaries are not crossed (aka sasaeng behavior and idols being obligated to do questionable stuff), then it's fine.

• you gotta remember at the end of the day the companies are in it for profit...they aren't a charity and what they are selling isn't music...

they are selling the idols themselves...and idols aren't singers or dancers or rappers or entertainers or writers or composers or producers they are some and all at the same time...

they get trained in everything hence idols not singers...thus the product they are selling is themselves...

• if we didn't know all this stuff about kpop idols then parasocial relationships wouldn't start and kpop sales and interest would plummet.

does this really boost a career though… boy groups maybe , ggs not sure it’s needed

blackpink are the least fan service group EVER their whole image is that they’re untouchable and above everyone and they’re the #2 kpop group

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!