The obsession over “rookie Groups” is quite odd… older Groups became more disposable!

• I have noticed over the last 2 years that there is this big obsession over the NNBG or the NNGG especially from big companies and/or survival shows.

Don’t get me wrong there has always been curiosity towards new Groups especially from big companies. But back than people at least started to stan after their debut.

Nowadays not even yet revealed Groups seem to have die hard fans, and they don’t even know how they sometimes look or even sound like.

It’s like they are giving a year or maybe two for them to prove if they are the next big thing and if that doesn’t happen, you have probably, even former fans, discussing the next NGG or NBG from the same company. This whole thing makes 4th Gen Groups feel easy disposable. If they don’t break records, have a hit or sell thousands of albums in the first year, it’s like their fans just jump off to stan a new Group or are awaiting new Groups from the same company.

No offense really, but it feels like some are really desperate to be the first to stan the next BTS, BLACKPINK or Twice of the 4th… even fighting over who the leader of the 4th Gen is (even though it’s actually still Groups from the previous generations), which makes it harder than ever for new Groups to fully establish themself.

So you got that huge hype during their debut and if they don’t meet expectations with the debut or the follow up comeback, they get dropped as fast as they got attention. It’s unfortunately more prominent among the GG’s than BG’s…

It’s literally… Group debuts… doesn’t meet expectations (success wise)…. People already start to talk about the NGG/NBG….

It’s like Kpop has turned more and more people into little success stans.

• but kpop set this up for themselves

the companies themselves made this system

pump out tons of groups at really fast rates and try to cash in on trends

they made the industry like a fast food churning machine and there's no going back now

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Some people never stanned or cared about the veteran groups but suddenly they stan their most recent groups :cryingr:

No because I remember very well when people were so loud about NMIXX and said Itzy will fad they were apparently the f(x) of JYPE and the others ones were saying they were trusting the company because JYP never miss with their GG (at least NMIXX are super talented) but look at them now. The song was just so bad.

• Many kpop fans themselves treat kpop groups like disposable products, either consciously or unconsciously. It's like when your "favorite" smartphone brand releases a new model and you want to get it and throw your other one away lol.

• Agreed. It leads to weird flexing like "omg they achieved this with only two songs!" As if having only two songs was a great feat to brag about.

There's also those who mock older groups who scored a huge hit years after debut, which is absurd too because you wish your faves could still grow steadily and reach new peaks after several years of career.

• Random thought that may or may not be relevant I guess it's totally irrelevant but whatever

You would think that Starship might have totally given up on WJSN because of IVE but tadaa they are now on Queendom which I guess shows that they haven't gave up on them.

Not that they are flopping because WJSN despite not being popular among general kpop fans like I for the death of mine can not name a single WJSN stan here, they are actually pretty successful I guess? Who knows they might get am Oh My Girl Queendom boost

And then you have another thread talking about how Gfriend who is more popular and successful than them but apparently aren't earning enough for HYBE and treating Gfriend like they are the floppest group ever.

• apparently they sell pretty well? Don't know where they're getting their sales from tbh

• apparently they sell pretty well? Don't know where they're getting their sales from tbh

They actually do

Their 2021 comeback sold less than their 2020 comeback but that comeback had over 100k which is surprisingly higher than say Gfriend.

I think maybe China sales? They have Chinese members but they aren't actually active in Korea right now so tbh I'm so not sure.

• the "is it safe to say ___ is the new ___" threads 💀💀💀

it's becoming unbearable lmaooo every day it's a different group. if the "new 4th gen leader" changes every 36 mins, maybe none of them are actually leading and everyone should just relax instead of trying to find next big group to success stan

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• Agreed. It leads to weird flexing like "omg they achieved this with only two songs!" As if having only two songs was a great feat to brag about.

There's also those who mock older groups who scored a huge hit years after debut, which is absurd too because you wish your faves could still grow steadily and reach new peaks after several years of career.

“ how can they be better than… when it took them 5 years to chart” ….

Apart from YG, almost every other Top Group took their time until they became super successful. A concept new fans don’t seem to know cause they got spoiled with these “rookie records”

• yup

Kpop fans are treating the groups like products

They cheer for the company to kick the old out so they open up space for the new thing

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• the "is it safe to say ___ is the new ___" threads 💀💀💀

I want to make those people unsafe lmao

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm starting to think starship is more competent than some other agencies around. They seem to be making good decisions.

• im a wjsn stan

i wanted the badges but they dont have any

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• And also, Starship gave Sistar such a beautiful farewell like yeah I know we hate all companies every company sucks but they handled their disbandment like no other company would

they had the best disbandment tbh. i never stanned them and that last stage made me wanna cry, it was really sweet that they got that goodbye song and actually got to say goodbye

some groups just got half hearted songs or nothing at all. starship did well

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• Queendom has got me to start learning more about the members.

Like I have always had their songs in my playlist and also watch a couple of their performances but never got to know the members now I'm slowly catching up

i like many of their songs and know about the members but dont really care that much beyond a member or two

but i'd still call myself a fan since i like the music above all

here's the greatest playlist ever

u r m o m g a y

• I'm starting to think starship is more competent than some other agencies around. They seem to be making good decisions.

Starshit actually has a fairly solid record of success. Maybe some group named "Boyfriend" might be considered their only flop... i mean none of these other groups are outright flops and a couple look like bigtime players.

Sistar

MonstaX

WSJN

Ive

Cravity

Doesnt stop me from hating on them though and wishing every one of the execs would be Starshipped out of Kpop. :rolleyes:

• This song by Boyfriend is

:pepe-sad::pepe-sad:

External Content youtu.be

• This song by Boyfriend is

:pepe-sad::pepe-sad:

External Content youtu.be

Damn that's a bop and a half, i only listened to half of it but it's damn good. 8|8|

• You're not wrong. Fan behaviours shape how kpop works

I've touched on this before as well: The lack of value of idols in the industry and how fans contribute

I agree to everything you said there. Kpop fans have started to devalue Groups more and more that companies just follow the trend to make profit.

Why spend time and energy to negotiate the contract and pay of renewing contract with one of your older acts, if you can make just as much or more with a new Group who will accept lower payment since they are rookies. Sad

You thinking of Idle most recently? It's obnoxious that big 3 stans in particular go after them for this. Not everyone has the privilege and luck to hit big right out the gate.

• No it was mostly the consumers fault. How a company operates depends on the consumer behavior.

Kpop fans made this happen and this behavior will come at the expense of future Groups.

• No it was mostly the consumers fault. How a company operates depends on the consumer behavior.

Kpop fans made this happen and this behavior will come at the expense of future Groups.

kpop was built on the foundation of being shallow

wtf do you want kpop fans to do?

ignore every new group until they disband?

u r m o m g a y

• That was definitely not the point .

well you can either buy it or not buy it

you cant buy a product that is not being produced can you

so yes it is indeed kpop industry's fault by a long shot for getting greedy and making this structure to keep attracting new fans and making money

u r m o m g a y

• One more thing to add: This dont apply to Izone. Wizones have been crazy loyal to every member so far.

Yena and Yuri with 90-110k album sales, Yena even getting a top 10 hit.

Eunbi getting 60k and projected to match that with her second album - we see other soloists who suffer from huge drops in their second and third albums, but not Eunbi.

Ive going crazy in every metric.

Lessarefirm hype explosive, teasers getting millions and millions of views.

Hyewon's album selling out instantly, 20k, and my guess is she coulda tripled or quintupled it. Also with 450k YT subscribers, way more than any other Izone member.

Nako and Hitomi remaining popular in their HKT/AKB groups.

Only jobless Minju and Chaeyeon are still to be determined, but i would bet that Minju would approach Sakura and Wonyoung when it comes to fandom popularity and loyalty.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!