Idols that participate most in the creative process?

• I know not all groups are self-producing and even in the groups that do, there are usually some members that write/compose/produce more than others. Who are the idols that you would say do the most music creation (excluding rappers who only write their own stuff).

Of the groups I tend to listen to, I would say

G-Dragon in BigBang.

Soyeon in (G)I-dle

Jooheon and Wonho in Monsta X

Jaebeom in GOT7

Mino and Seungyoon in Winner (Taehyun too when he was there)

I don't listen much to IKON, but I think B.I wrote most of their stuff

I think CL wrote a large portion of 2NE1's last album iirc

Who would you say?

• 3RACHA

Despite Stray Kids only being a 4 year old group, Bang Chan, Changbin, and Han are the 12th, 20th, and 22nd most credited idols of all time with 120, 108, and 105 credits respectively.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They don't just write verses, they're consistently the only lyricists, almost always main and often sole composers of their songs, and Chan has been arranging increasingly more, sometimes as the only arranger, as you can see

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There are also SKZ-Player/SKZ-Record songs that aren't listed here, almost all of them were only arranged by Chan.

• Seventeen without a doubt

Woozi is known as the master composer,but I'm pretty sure at this point most, if not all members have participated in song writing.

Then you have Hoshi as the master choreographer,but I'm pretty sure the rest of the performance unit also did choreographing.

• Legends? :aespa12:

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• LOONA members all focus on improving skill and performance and rarely on creative stuff

but that could also be because BBC is IMMENSELY control-hungry over their productions ( and hey it gives great results )

maybe Kim Lip?

she wrote most of their Ryan Jhun collab

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Only 1 women :pepe-tea:

• External Content www.youtube.com

Woozi has done Seventeen's music since the very start! This was the first song he ever made :pepemusic: and then we have Hoshi who also has been choreographer since the very beginning

External Content www.youtube.com

These two are a dream team

Kinda cheating since Day6 is a band but hey, he's in the Komca top 10 for a reason

• cle said it before me, but she rightt. 3racha are legends indeed :txt46:

• I love that SKZ has so much control over their creative process. It really has translated to a specific "voice" that they have even as they try different styles.

I've seen this list before. I wish there was one that focused on composing credits. I feel like this is so skewed towards rappers since they are more likely going to write their verses even if the rest of the song are written by people outside the group. Also, I feel like there are fewer idols that compose than write lyrics. I would love to see who the idol-composers are. Some of the rappers on the whole list do compose (like SKZ), but some do not.

• And there's nothing wrong with that. People are talented in different ways. And whatever they are doing is working for them.

• Only 1 women :pepe-tea:

I wonder if the list would look different if it omitted rappers who are writing their verses. I feel like there are more bgs that are hiphop oriented with multiple rappers who write verses. Would there be more women represented? Do you know any ggs that do some writing/composing? I've heard Purple Kiss are pretty active that way, but they are newer and don't have that many songs yet.

• I love that SKZ has so much control over their creative process. It really has translated to a specific "voice" that they have even as they try different styles.

True :lovec: That "voice" is something I really love about their music

I've seen this list before. I wish there was one that focused on composing credits. I feel like this is so skewed towards rappers since they are more likely going to write their verses even if the rest of the song are written by people outside the group. Also, I feel like there are fewer idols that compose than write lyrics. I would love to see who the idol-composers are. Some of the rappers on the whole list do compose (like SKZ), but some do not.

That would be interesting!

• Jjong and Minho man consistently writing for SHINee since debut and Key participates on concept, styling and album design

• I wonder if the list would look different if it omitted rappers who are writing their verses. I feel like there are more bgs that are hiphop oriented with multiple rappers who write verses. Would there be more women represented? Do you know any ggs that do some writing/composing? I've heard Purple Kiss are pretty active that way, but they are newer and don't have that many songs yet.

Purple Kiss has indeed a member (Chaein) who's been the primary songwriter for three songs (one on the previous EP, and two on their upcoming EP). Also, their rapper Yuki writes all her raps, which is even more commendable since she's Japanese. Other members have some shared lyric credits here and there too.

But the big difference with a group like IDLE (totally not a random example lol) is that when it comes to title tracks, it's still the big honchos at RBW who are at the helm. But after IDLE, they're the closest thing to a self produced gg.

• Purple Kiss has indeed a member (Chaein) who's been the primary songwriter for three songs (one on the previous EP, and two on their upcoming EP). Also, their rapper Yuki writes all her raps, which is even more commendable since she's Japanese. Other members have some shared lyric credits here and there too.

But the big difference with a group like IDLE (totally not a random example lol) is that when it comes to title tracks, it's still the big honchos at RBW who are at the helm. But after IDLE, they're the closest thing to a self produced gg.

Companies are much more careful with title tracks. Jooheon only recently got to write/compose/produce title tracks for Monsta X - Gambler and Rush Hour - even thought he's done some bsides from the beginning.

• Soyeon writes, composes, and arranges entire songs. Her creative involvement doesn't end there. She also comes up with album concepts, does stage direction, and even creates choreo. On the business side, she's been involved with creative marketing. She designed the (G)I-DLE logo and the carryout box packaging for her solo album.

• Suga of BTS has composed and produced songs both for BTS and other singers such as Suran's Wine, which he won an award for. He also produced Eight by IU. He also has 2 mixtapes. Most recently, Suga produced the OST for 7Fates: Chakro - Stay Alive by JK.

I'd also recognize RM and J Hope as they also have mixtapes. RM is often seen helping the other compose songs, not just his own raps and has countless credits for it, and J-Hope as well, having had a big part in songs such as Dionysus and Dis-sease.

Jungkook is also noteworthy having written and produced "Still With You" as well as being responsible for "Your Eyes Tell" - which was supposed to have gone on his mixtape, but was instead retooled and released in Japanese as a OST. V as well wrote Blue and Grey, which was also supposed to be on his mix tape, but appeared on BE. Jimin and Jin each have their own songs also released on SoundCloud.

• Well KOMCA is the best place to look and see who all have credits for lyrics, song writing etc.

I am sure it is a very long list.

So probably better to use "success" as a factor to narrow down.

Then G-Dragon and IU, top the ranks of most successful idol creators.

I believe VIXX Ravi is the most prolific, last I checked.

Apart from actual credits, After School-Kahi and GIDLE-Soyeon, pretty much bootstraped their groups from conception.

Which is a big deal.

I also wonder if idols aren't using ghosts to gain some credits?

After all, if plastic surgery, Photoshop, autotune, lip synch all have become practices, then why not ghosts?

Music production has become an industrialized assembly line process, melody, best, top line, chorus, lyrics, rap line - producers increasingly are curators/assemblers of these - plug and play.

So who knows..

• Suga of BTS has composed and produced songs both for BTS and other singers such as Suran's Wine, which he won an award for. He also produced Eight by IU. He also has 2 mixtapes. Most recently, Suga produced the OST for 7Fates: Chakro - Stay Alive by JK.

I'd also recognize RM and J Hope as they also have mixtapes. RM is often seen helping the other compose songs, not just his own raps and has countless credits for it, and J-Hope as well, having had a big part in songs such as Dionysus and Dis-sease.

Jungkook is also noteworthy having written and produced "Still With You" as well as being responsible for "Your Eyes Tell" - which was supposed to have gone on his mixtape, but was instead retooled and released in Japanese as a OST. V as well wrote Blue and Grey, which was also supposed to be on his mix tape, but appeared on BE. Jimin and Jin each have their own songs also released on SoundCloud.

Suga produced one of my fave songs

Epik High Drops New Song ‘Eternal Sunshine,’ Produced by BTS’ Suga: Listen
    Epik High released their new song “Eternal Sunshine” on Monday (March 11).
    www.billboard.com

there's another one that I love too, but I can't remember what it is

• I don't know about ghosts, but I'm sure that there are plenty of idols who are getting credits for fairly minimal contributions. We've all seen the kind of credits that include several other people if not many others.

• This thread contains 22 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!