Lack of song success is the reason why Seventeen doesn't feel all that big in popularity?

• Do u agree? 48

1. Yes (36) 75%
    2. No (12) 25%

I know aju nice and don't wanna cry that did well but overall they don't have a big hit or a remembered song to that level. Their spotify streams also aren't at high level even for current kpop standards. It's quite below groups like twice, exo and some 4th gen out streams them currently. They sell alot in japan but never got a certification for their song.

I am not saying this lack of hits is a reason svt shouldn't be considered a top group but it's a reason why people don't find them to big enough and place them at the top. They are still plenty successful. They have solid sales and tours but not hits. At the end hits help a group being remembered and recognized. I know a lot of people disregard the imapct of hits but it exists.

Also i see a lot of people say their fans are all mostly in Asia and that's why they lack hype. But most groups get their hype from asian countries more than western countries.

★¸.•☆•.¸★ 𝐉𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐎 ★⡀.•☆•.★

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv 38f275b68632fbb8a30ab7a0fce5512059a80556.gifv2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv61eb8841d60cd80c1298efc34ab05d6279af9b9a.gifv2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv4d43f06e62bc91bae199a1e0752740ea19fda0f9.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• It may contribute but in the grand scheme of things it mainly comes down to the geographical spread of their fans.

Album sales for groups such as Seventeen mainly comes down to their popularity in SK, Japan and China than they do anywhere else (these 3 you'd say are the biggest album buying countries along with the US now for kpop). Therefore it's also not surprising for example that their Spotify numbers do not correlate with their album sales as Spotify is tiny in SK, only recently growing in Japan and I don't even know if it exists in China. These countries are also not going to be a big presence on English speaking media which is how most international kpop fans will get exposure to hype and discussions, which then forms opinions on how large a group is.

Whereas Stray Kids for example you'd say are not that popular in SK, Japan or China, but their spread of fans is more western therefore their sales correlate with Spotify more. They also therefore have more fans on the media that forms international fans opinions. It's perception. if you were on Korean forums I don't think Seventeen would feel small compared to a bunch of other groups.

People used to say the same similar things about Twice too. Twice would comfortably outsell BP for years whilst BP were nearly always seen as the more popular group, the common drag from BP fans and a bunch of others about Twice was their sales were only in a few places and that they were a "local" group. Twice obviously were not local but their anomalous sales early on did mainly stem from their absolute dominance in SK and Japan, which early on in the 3rd gen was the key market to sell big (unless you were EXO with China or BTS in the west).

Seventeen's Youtube views in the last 12 months looks like this and really I find it pretty rare to find a kpop group with Japan and South Korea as the top two, yet alone being so close as well. SEA countries usually drive this for most kpop groups, countries which SK is pretty small against.

REBqB0Y.png

This is Stray Kids in the last 12 months, a mix that much more leans towards countries that will use English speaking media/forums and whatnot.

pCfuYqJ.png

• I wouldn't call them hits but skz txt and enhypen are doing better than svt on spotify. they debuted later but have more songs over the 100 million streams

They also have fandoms obsessed with being the fastest group to do X on Spotify. Not every fandom consumes music like it's their job.

• weird take

you're so petty and for what

I'm not being petty. 4th gen fans consume music different and plenty of them are obsessed with achievements.

It's already been well established in multiple threads on this site that Spotify streams are not a decent metric for popularity.

• Nobody was saying bp was more popular than twic eback in the day expect for toxic blinks. Everyone in 2019,2018 and back saying that twice was overrall more popular but bp was just more popular internationally while twice has Japan and Korea in lockdown

And doesn’t these YouTube stats show skz is more popular than svt, seem s,Ike they have more views.

Svt never had a big hit, closest thing is aju nice which did well but I wouldn’t call it a hit.

Ah suddenly you stan Blackpink :cryingr:

• So then answer my original question: which 4th gen groups with higher Spotify streams have more hits than Seventeen?

the other user already answered

you're only saying all of this because you're an nct stan

spotify is one of the biggest streaming platforms worldwide. Ofcourse it somewhat matters. You should never look at one thing only anyways.

just stop

• the other user already answered

spotify is one of the biggest streaming platforms worldwide. Ofcourse it somewhat matters.

just stop

The other user literally said they weren't hits. ?(

• If you’re talking about GG well it will be easy to respond for BG fever, Polaroid, god menu are quite popular. Also Spotify is one of the biggest streaming platform in the world ofc it’s a metric of success

It's popular in many countries, but it's not the most popular in every country. If Seventeen is more popular in countries where other music platforms are more dominant then of course their streams are going to be impacted. This has been explained before.

• I think SVT & NCT are similar cases. They’re considered top groups because they have the sales & fanbase, but they don’t really have any memorable hit or hits amongst the GP so they won’t be considered in the upper echelons like Exo/BTS who are always amongst previous top tier boy groups.

• Are you saying this is the reason they aren’t placed along side twice and exo or are you saying this is why they aren’t recognized within other comparable BGs like NCT or other 4th gens?

If it’s first part yeah it goes for all current BGs not just seventeen none of them are considered at that level without a GP hit.

If it’s the second part it’s because their fans are less loud on the international platforms. But I personally would put them up there.

• It's popular in many countries, but it's not the most popular in every country. If Seventeen is more popular in countries where other music platforms are more dominant then of course their streams are going to be impacted. This has been explained before.

It means absolutely nothing SVT 2nd biggest markets is Japan where Spotify is huge huge plus I’m sure they have a big following fanbase in SEA and Spotify is quite popular here too but I agree with your first point I think also the fact carats aren’t as loud so they will not throw their achievements down to everyone throats but also I don’t think they have that obsession to streams as much as other groups.

• Nobody was saying bp was more popular than twic eback in the day expect for toxic blinks. Everyone in 2019,2018 and back saying that twice was overrall more popular but bp was just more popular internationally while twice has Japan and Korea in lockdown

And doesn’t these YouTube stats show skz is more popular than svt, seem s,Ike they have more views.

Svt never had a big hit, closest thing is aju nice which did well but I wouldn’t call it a hit.

It definitely wasn't just BP fans.

Define popular - for arguments sake lets say Seventeen had 10m fans combined but they were all based only in China, Japan and South Korea with decent recognition in all three, whereas Stray Kids had 8 million but dispersed worldwide in smaller clusters but there's not any specific locations where they're big. Who's more popular? Their numbers on different platforms will vary due to the geographical concentration of their fans.

It's perception and how you define popularity, especially when you look outside of the biggest groups.

• I'm not being petty. 4th gen fans consume music different and plenty of them are obsessed with achievements.

It's already been well established in multiple threads on this site that Spotify streams are not a decent metric for popularity.

They are gonna boo you but you are right.

• Blackpink, Seventeen and NCT have to compete with BTS, so even all three did great, their achievements are overshadowed by this one big shining star. Blackpink at least can claim for GGs but not for the other two. Exo and Twice have cemented their status before BTS blew up so they have no problem.

People usually look at the best so being second or third made acts seem less popular but they are not.

• Which 4th gen groups with high Spotify streams have more hits than Seventeen? :/

Txt, skz and enhypen eat up svt in spotify streams and it ain't even close. Total streams is a useless measure because say a group like enhypen just debuted in 2020. Now we can take itzy and aespa too. Even stayc songs doing better. And the ggs very much have hits.

★¸.•☆•.¸★ 𝐉𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐎 ★⡀.•☆•.★

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv 38f275b68632fbb8a30ab7a0fce5512059a80556.gifv2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv61eb8841d60cd80c1298efc34ab05d6279af9b9a.gifv2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv4d43f06e62bc91bae199a1e0752740ea19fda0f9.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

Edited 2 times, last by atropos ().

• Seventeen's Youtube views in the last 12 months looks like this and really I find it pretty rare to find a kpop group with Japan and South Korea as the top two, yet alone being so close as well. SEA countries usually drive this for most kpop groups, countries which SK is pretty small against.

It's not like their songs do well in Korea or Japan either. Now they do have a fandom

★¸.•☆•.¸★ 𝐉𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐎 ★⡀.•☆•.★

• the other user already answered

spotify is one of the biggest streaming platforms worldwide. Ofcourse it somewhat matters. You should never look at one thing only anyways.

just stop

damn not you bringing nct into thisss. so proud of you bestie, you achieved so much here :lisa2:

• First part. I always see people say how svt is underestimated and i feel no hits is the reason.

No people don’t really say the first. Not even seventeen fans themselves. An all round success across Korean digitals and physical sales was always the standard for a “top group”

A GG without physical sales and BG without Korean hit usually don’t get the coveted “top group” title.

• anyway, i don't think they're not popular. i just thinks carats are quieter. a lot of the evidently popular groups have louder fandoms in general that hype up their faves. seventeen has bop after bop and i genuinely see no reason why they wouldn't have that much popularity aside from the amount of members.

• No people don’t really say the first. Not even seventeen fans themselves. An all round success across Korean digitals and physical sales was always the standard for a “top group”

A GG without physical sales and BG without Korean hit usually don’t get the coveted “top group” title.

I guess between the two options the first one was closer and not really the absolute reason. But it's mostly why people still don't really consider svt as a popular group as they are arguably #2 among bgs after bts. Why they are doing well but people don't consider them as a big shot.

★¸.•☆•.¸★ 𝐉𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐎 ★⡀.•☆•.★

• I guess between the two options the first one was closer and not really the absolute reason. But it's mostly why people still don't really consider svt as a popular group as they are arguably #2 among bgs after bts. Why they are doing well but people don't consider them as a big shot.

That’s for every BG not just seventeen like I said. These group need to have a hit in their home country. That’s always been the standard.

• Whatever the case, I think Seventeen/their team should consider adapting a JYPE/Twice "multi-regional strategy". They should consider doing at least a mini-album every so often specifically targeted for "western listening inclinations" and/or sprinkle at least a quarter of these styled songs consistently in their K-Pop albums. Plus, they have two members from the East and West Coast of the US. That could make recording and promo of any English-language tracks breezy.

It's not like they would have to start from scratch. They have existing songs with this kind of appeal in 'Heng:garæ', 'An Ode', 'Semicolon', and 'You Make My Day'. Woozi and Bumzu already worked with Wonderkid and can do so again.

If they need to, they can mindmap Seventeen's "sound" and any musical inspirations for potential "ideational-jump points".

• This thread contains 27 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!