Do you think BlackPink's contract will be renewed next year?

• Do you think BlackPinks Contract will be renewed next year? 82

1. Yes (54) 66%
    2. No (28) 34%

Mr. Yang Hyunsuk, while officially no longer part of the YG Entertainment organization, still wields significant influence upon how it is run.

And there were no comebacks in 2021!

People around the world want to see them together, but if things go like this, it is possible they would just disband next year, no longer willing to let YG and his cronies take cuts from their profits.

Whether they will continue as a group is doubtful since they will probably go their own ways, but they are already celebrities and they can still rake money without doing much.

It was the only act not named BTS which had international reputations, but because YG didn't do anything with them, they wasted another year and only Roseanne and Lalisa promoted

Meanwhile the #8 position in the world was claimed by the person at the bottom of this post. Adding the awards Roseanne and Lalisa won, they would probably have reached #4, and kick the Senior Singer to #9.

Whether BlackPink will re-sign is a very iffy question. They might have nothing more to gain from YG and Teddy, but they might want to keep the BlackPink name even though with their solo activities it is becoming more moot.

• I just cant see all 4, unless YG bends like fuck on the contracts.

They are more popular then YG, they dont idol life anymore, and 2/4 are foreign, with Jennie being raised foreign. Could easily see them going to small company, or even going USA, and having freedom to do shit as they choose.

e/ This is to say I dont think BLACKPINK will disband, and would continue with 1-2 members outside the company if YG allowed it

• They'll keep the Blackpink name of course but i think they re-sign with the understanding that they are essentially done with idol life (like Mamamoo). We'll see solo and solo collab projects, maybe subunits. Jisoo will continue with acting seeing how successful Snowdrop has been. I can see Jennie getting involved more with music composition and production, i think she's the most done with idol life.

• I can see Jennie getting involved more with music composition and production, i think she's done with idol life.

Considering the hell people have given her the last 10 years, if she decides to go that route it would not shock me and I would of course support her 100%

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• Unless they aren’t okay with YG management when it comes to music why should they not resign they are booked, aren’t overworked, can do whatever they want and the list goes on. They may be popular but they have more to lose if they don’t resign.

Well, if they work harder they can easily book north of 10m each year but because YG is doing nothing their income is limited

They are more popular then YG, they dont idol life anymore, and 2/4 are foreign, with Jennie being raised foreign. Could easily see them going to small company, or even going USA, and having freedom to do shit as they choose.

e/ This is to say I dont think BLACKPINK will disband, and would continue with 1-2 members outside the company if YG allowed it

They can form their own companies and operate outside of Korea and their fame won't change since Korea is just a minor market for them anyways

• My guess is they are going to renew with better terms. I believe both sides lose a lot if BP dont resign.

Better terms still means they will still be under the thumb of YG an I am sure they experienced the joy of YG accounting as well

Unless they are allowed an accounting of their own activities, which won't happen under YG, there is no deal

• This!!!

The person under this paragraph had met with YG and discussed terms around 2015.

Apparently YG would give her a big signing bonus and yada yada.

Meanwhile KakaoM would not give her a bonus but would give her a complete accounting.

She chose to remain under KakaoM

The joy of YG accounting is notorious. I think GD is being treated better but the rest are not really paid accordingly

• Shit, BP's contract is up next year already wtf it really doesn't feel like it. It's baffling and sad at the same time how they haven't moved like a K-Pop group at all and now suddenly contracts are about to expire soon.

I want to imagine that they re-sign because except for months of drought and mismanagement, YG isn't that bad of a company tbh. They got the quality, the money, apparently fair paychecks for their acts, the connections, the freedom. Unfortunately and as everyone knows, the mismanagement and content drought are really, REALLY big issues, which make me doubt that at least Lisa and Rosé will re-sign. I do hope that either all 4 of them stay or all 4 of them go though.

• I know u are insane but IU never talk to yg. What are u even saying

• Shit, BP's contract is up next year already wtf it really doesn't feel like it. It's baffling and sad at the same time how they haven't moved like a K-Pop group at all and now suddenly contracts are about to expire soon.

I want to imagine that they re-sign because except for months of drought and mismanagement, YG isn't that bad of a company tbh. They got the quality, the money, apparently fair paychecks for their acts, the connections, the freedom. Unfortunately and as everyone knows, the mismanagement and content drought are really, REALLY big issues, which make me doubt that at least Lisa and Rosé will re-sign. I do hope that either all 4 of them stay or all 4 of them go though.

They don't give BP work and paychecks mean less

IU earned $9 million in 2017 when BP was already world celebrities

Each BP member earned perhaps $2 million each on that year

If YG allowed BP to work even half as hard as IU they would be making north of $10M per person per year

• I know u are insane but IU never talk to yg. What are u even saying

It occurred in 2015 when her contract was about to finish. It said 'one of the Big Three' approached her and wanted to take her. Since she is not SM's type and JYP had rejected her before it was YG who talked to her back then. And she gave him a cold pass

but they do have that in yg. a small company would make no sense.

lt64IYu.gif

• From an outsiders perspective, it seems like Lisa is under utilized or not given room to live up to her full potential. Her solo has made some decent waves and that wasn't really capitalized on the way I thought it would be. Idk about the others but I could see her signing somewhere else but staying in BP.

• but they do have that in yg. a small company would make no sense.

Their fans do not like them because they are YG. A smaller company dedicated only to them can do well to service their own needs and the person under this sentence already showed an example

• Better terms still means they will still be under the thumb of YG an I am sure they experienced the joy of YG accounting as well

Unless they are allowed an accounting of their own activities, which won't happen under YG, there is no deal

Well. The thing is if the price of leaving YG is higher than the resign. Also, let your biggest act go away is not a smart move. But also is not a smart move not exploit the max. profit of your biggest act. So, what the hell do i know? Man, i dont understand this company.

• Tbh I'd rather have more freedom and swim in money like Blackpink than work my ass off and drown in money like IU lmao

And BP's popularity in 2017 is not comparable at all to how huge they already were in just 2018. 2017 was just the first step toward worldwide recognition. Also, 2017 was arguably IU's biggest breakthrough year, with several huge pre-release hits (among them a SOTY), followed by the release of AOTY and its megahit title track, followed by another huge hit and hit album. It's no wonder she made more cash. Literally all BP did was release AIIYL, so I'd say their 2017 paycheck ain't bad lmao

Just realized how fucking crazy 2017 was for IU and as a uaena :pepelove1:  

• , 2017 was arguably IU's biggest breakthrough year, with several huge pre-release hits (among them a SOTY), followed by the release of AOTY and its megahit title track, followed by another huge hit and hit album. It's no wonder she made more cash

Until 2021..

Every 3rd or 4th year is a break through year for the Senior Singer. 2021 beat 2017.

Yet another WhyKnock post, this time using Blackpink to contrast instead of BTS against the Senior Singer.

YG hasn't been stupid, they have used the De Beers strategy, after BP became a success, kept the supply of actual songs artificially low, but otherwise market them like hell and that has worked well. Among all the top tier BP probably has the lowest discography to highest profits.

BTS and Twice were singing their hearts out for something like that.

How that matters to the individual careers is not the concern of the company.

In any case, neither BP nor BTS is going to expand internationally i.e the West,much more. BTS might get that Grammy, that might be the high point, it is plateau now, unless another act comes along and pushes the boundaries.

Other regions are the potential, SEA is ripe.

China is, but subject too much to political vagaries.

India is huge, but very fragmented and unorganised market.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• Idol life is extremely tough to sustain. Even if they renew and continue as a group, the activity level will be low.

True for all - Twice, BTS etc.

And if they are serious about their music, they would much prefer to have more freedom to explore it, than be tied to a group and its commercial interests.

They have earned that privilege, even if it means lesser popularity and success.

• It occurred in 2015 when her contract was about to finish. It said 'one of the Big Three' approached her and wanted to take her. Since she is not SM's type and JYP had rejected her before it was YG who talked to her back then. And she gave him a cold pass

how is she not SM's type? she's like a yoona that can sing good. and doesnt matter if jyp rejected her before. obviously theyd be interested once she became a big star

• My predictions....either way, whatever makes them happy I will support their decisions.

Jisoo renews - transfer over to YG acting department. Their actors actually get plenty of roles and opportunities.

Jennie renews - I think she'll release some more solo music this year or before their contracts expire next year. Whether she wants to keep singing or go the influencer route is her choice. I just hope she's happy.

Rose does not renew - if she wants to make a name for herself as a soloist she needs to release more than 1 song a year. There will be plenty of smaller companies reaching out to her when her contract is about ready to expire. She'll probably sign with another company if she can't release music every year with YG.

Lisa renews but isn't active in Korea - I think Lisa will renew with YG but keep her schedules to China, US, and East Asia. She doesn't have as big an impact in Korea as the other three so it would make no sense for her to continue promoting there. I'm curious to see what route she'll take, whether it be music, dancing, influencer, acting, business, all of the above?

• I say yes with maybe Lisa being the wild card. The reason I think they'll al say yes is because of Big Bang. Let me explain I thought when BB contract expired, they were all going to say no they were all doing their own thing and TOP looked so ready to just leave the idol life. Then they all said yes, this made mem think that YG offered something they couldn't say no too. That why I'm going to say yes

• It occurred in 2015 when her contract was about to finish. It said 'one of the Big Three' approached her and wanted to take her. Since she is not SM's type and JYP had rejected her before it was YG who talked to her back then. And she gave him a cold pass

She does seem to have better rapport with YG artists. But that means nothing.

By 2015, she was in an unassailable position and could pick any agency of her choice.

But I think that also meant that she was picky about whom she would work with, and also took producer credits for her works.

That would be difficult to accommodate with any established agency ethos, except as an in-house label.

And that was easily achieved within Kakao, when it bought Loen in 15-16.

After all, when it comes to deep pockets, none of the big 3 can match Kakao.

She has been very smart in keeping her independence and creative control, over and above any signing bonuses.

• This thread contains 32 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!