Hybe (Bighit) and SM explore lore/storylines in two completely different ways

• The biggest difference between both companies is that HYBE/BigHit explore their storyline in a more metaphorical way, making analogies and using its concept to make the music more visually appealing. They talk about human feelings using fantasy (TXT-ENHYPEN/-GFRIEND/MAGO/APPLE) to make it more eyecatching. While SM with Aespa talks about something more specific and related to a unique universe. Bighit goes for a more emotional direction (mostly based on coming of age concepts) while SM seems to go for a more fictional one (Aespa and the whole Kwangya universe, EXO having superpowers, NCT having something related to Matrix, SUPERM having superhero influence).

The first thing they said about the Girl group it's that is a coming of age concept, which it's the same thing as Enhypen and TXT do. That means that their songs aren't going to be fully related to their storyline like Aespa does but they are going to use the magic thing as a metaphor to talk about real feelings.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

SM:

EDIT - THANK YOU FOR THE NEW INFORMATION:

EXO has an individual storyline that is something related to having superpowers and it is still being used in their music (Exo storyline is not talked in chronological order because time is disordered. Everything we are seeing is probably from their memories) as many EXO-L explained to me. NCT has a concept related to MATRIX and as was said by an NCTZEN it's still current on their music. I do not have information about external content (outside of music) focused on their lore aside from VCRs.

EXO by sveznalica

Their debut MV immediately explained their concept and some of their debut songs were connected to it.

Tree of life is canon (lol) and is included in their MV and their choreography.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Main point of exo is that they came from EXO planet and that they have to protect tree of life from red force. Each member has their own power which they are trying to protect from Red Force. Red Force wants their power because they need it to destroy Tree of life. EXO probably ended up in parallel universe after their spaceship crashed. We need new cb to be 100% right.

For example their pre debut song what is love shows in MV how exo members have met on new planet. History MV and lyrics shows how they will again get together and etc. And through every new cb their storyline is more and more expained. For example in lucky one they were captured by Red Force and they experimented on exo and they made exo doppelgangers ala X-EXO shown in Obsession era. Through Overdose they are shown that they want to escape from Maze, in Love Shot they don't know which member is real exo and which one is doppelganger, in Obsession, Monster and Power they are fighting against Red Force that's why in some exo songs you hear robotic sounds (because some og exo members lost agains X-EXO). VCR and concerts are extremely important part for exo concepts because all EXO tours are called EXO Planets and through their concerts they are basically telling us their story, because EXO Planet is exo home.

Aespa, debuted in 2019, it's the group by SM which storyline is more clear, introducing new vocabulary and exploring their narrative in their title tracks. Aespa really tells you a story through the music (at least their title tracks). Oh... but Kwangya existed since earlys 2000s. I'm not saying this is a lie, because I really don't know that much about SM, but what WE know it's that SM never really explored or explained that universe with details. Since Aespa debut SM is going into a new direction introducing elements in other groups (like NCT) to relate them to a universe that is connected. It looks like science fiction.

AESPA/NCT/EXO

maxresdefault.jpg

BIGHIT/HYBE

BTS debuted in 2013 and as time went by one of the things that always set them apart was their storyline. Stans from other companies frequently made jokes about that fact, downplaying and criticizing Bighit for exploring and extending their music. Outside of music what do BTS have to explore their storyline? Apart from what it's hinted in their lyrics and whole segments on music videos and comeback trailers, they have:

WEBTOON (2019)

Save_Me_%28webtoon%29_poster.jpg

GAME (2019)

BTS-GAME--1024x576.jpg

DRAMA

BTSDrama2.jpg

The Smeraldo books (2019)

The Smeraldo is a fictional flower that only exists in the Bangtan Universe (which is why it happens to translate into the name of one of BTS' songs). The flower was discovered on June 12, 2013 — the same day BTS debuted. The Smeraldo has popped up in the boys' Love Yourself Highlight Reel as well as right on their Twitter account.

As fictional as the Smeraldo flower is, it's worth wondering if BigHit could be hinting at the release of very real books set in the Bangtan Universe based on this new development. After all, they did say they'd "deliver the truth through the books made by Smeraldo Books."

Since the initial announcement, Smeraldo Books has been sharing messages and videos from each of the boys' characters on a daily basis. They're all very mysterious and seem to be excerpts from the HYYH notes found in the Love Yourself albums. But perhaps these particular excerpts hint at where the Bangtan Universe is heading (and, perhaps, the concept of BTS' next comeback).

SMERALDO BOOKS (@Smeraldo_Books) | Twitter

TXT always had a storyline attached to their narrative, but differently from BTS they go to a more fantasy-wise approach. Outside of their music, they have:

BOOKS

weverse-shop-txt-pop-up-book-the-tale-of-the-magic-island-the-star-seekers-28605815750736_1200x.jpg?v=1628485064

ANIME

And short films to explore their storyline, since its debut.

HYBE NEW GIRL GROUP (PLUS GLOBAL AUDITION - 2019)

Since they were announced in 2019 there are rumors that they would have a magical concept, because of the aesthetic of the audition's banners and videos.

e8df25ae702cc53021bdaa847f72003e68c34d5ar1-1242-1594v2_hq.jpg

1fc1bd17-97cd-48ef-9295-de8ca999e6a7.jpg

Like this thread from February explore:

ENHYPEN - VAMPIRES

ElGnAMiXIAgjCMk?format=jpg&name=large

GFRIEND - WITCHES

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7yKgbbrwJW6on5iqqPYO-CHtA-eqoaQO5uQ&usqp=CAU

• EXO never dropped the concept at all, it shows up in the vast majority of their music videos. The only thing was their concept was limited to music videos/album art/choreo/concert vcrs and never actually crossed over into the lyrics of the songs (until DFTF agh).

• These storylines aren't planned over night. It's purely coincidence. And people are really fighting over lores now? I-

Since Aespa debut SM is going into a new direction introducing elements in other groups (like NCT) to relate them to a universe that is connected.

NCT has a lore and they're more likely the ones that introduced the whole SMCU crap back in 2016, albeit not as obvious as aespa. I believe SM's lores are more up to fans' own interpretation. You can find hints everywhere.

External Content youtu.be

• EXO never dropped the concept at all, it shows up in the vast majority of their music videos. The only thing was their concept was limited to music videos/album art/choreo/concert vcrs and never actually crossed over into the lyrics of the songs (until DFTF agh).

Maybe that's why it's hard to find references if you aren't really a fan. I just remembered they used superpowers in a more evident way in Obsession too (I didn't enjoy that song so I forgot about it). Well, I said correct me if I'm wrong, so thanks.

I said correct me If I'm wrong so thanks for the new information. Like I said in the previous post you really need to be a fan to notice that. Aespa approach it's more direct and clear, they are really going full-on it.

I just made the thread to show that they really go in different directions and that it was always something Bighit creative team explore, including external content.

• The way this thread is barely getting attention lol. I agree that both companies do it very differently. Both aren't doing anything unique. No copying business.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• I just made the thread to show that they really go in different directions and that it was always something Bighit creative team explore, including external content.

Are their lores connected somehow? I know TXT's lore has a name and now it seems like "Crimson Heart" will be the name for this new gg's lore. Each group seems to have their own universe unrelated to each other, meanwhile for SME groups everything is starting to fall under "SMCU".

• I think the difference is SM are alot more upfront and obvious about their lore, many of their groups sing about KWANGYA, NU EVO, KOSMO, etc, etc and the imagery alot of their music videos(mainly aespa tho) obviously references the SMCU.

Meanwhile HYBE isn't as obvious. Anyone who casually follows their groups wouldn't really be able to tell that there's some sort of lore.

• Are their lores connected somehow? I know TXT's lore has a name and now it seems like "Crimson Heart" will be the name for this new gg's lore. Each group seems to have their own universe unrelated to each other, meanwhile for SME groups everything is starting to fall under "SMCU".

No they're all connected, but like I said before, it isn't really as obvious.

• Are their lores connected somehow? I know TXT's lore has a name and now it seems like "Crimson Heart" will be the name for this new gg's lore. Each group seems to have their own universe unrelated to each other, meanwhile for SME groups everything is starting to fall under "SMCU".

They are connected. Bighit/Hybe universe has their magic island which appears on BTS, TXT, GFRIEND (When they moved to BH labels) MVs, and most recently on Enhypen's tamed dashed.

This topic from Reddit (2019) talks about it:

i dont like the bighit universe + "universes" in kpop
    the bangtan universe (BU) already has it's own set of problems with how contrived, convoluted, and downright confusing it's become, so why add...
    www.reddit.com

• Many people are confusing aespa’s CAWMAN genre with just having Webtoons and video games merchandise. Many stories around the world have that and Bighit groups lores are not an exception. CAWMAN is something different. CAWMAN is the mixture of all of those things in one world (and also can be used to get merchandise webtoon series and video games as a bonus but the meaning behind it is not the same) because they’re touching the digital world subjects. Basically it’s the combination of both worlds. SMCU episode is the best example of having these different entities in one world. The avatars are born of people’ digital data and coming together with the real life people not just a drawn representation of a storyline with a webtoon but actual blend between the digital and real world where both come and go or blend together.

lt64IYu.gif

Edited once, last by Yumeku ().

• I think the difference is SM are alot more upfront and obvious about their lore, many of their groups sing about KWANGYA, NU EVO, KOSMO, etc, etc and the imagery alot of their music videos(mainly aespa tho) obviously references the SMCU.

Meanwhile HYBE isn't as obvious. Anyone who casually follows their groups wouldn't really be able to tell that there's some sort of lore.

Like I said in my post, it became more obvious since Aespa debut in 2020. Bighit storylines are metaphors for human feelings. Like Enhypen's vampire concept that it's about entering into a strange world since they became idols/vampires.

• Tecnically NCT's music is about their lore as well.. it's just that their lore involves dreams so it's easy to not notice if you aren't a fan. Just like the references to Kwangya in EXO and NCT songs... if you don't already know what it's referencing, the lyrics work even if you understand it as "wilderness".

The major difference with aespa is that they're not just a group with a concept like EXO, NCT, BTS, TXT, etc... they're a concept group. It's something you're more likely to see in a rock band doing. aespa is almost closer to something like Gorillaz or even something like the Love Live idol group.

but sm drop exo so it doesn't matter anymore

• The only kpop lore that matters is Keyland bc it was developed with Key and fans instead of being manufactured by a company

• I agree. There's a huge difference in HYBE & SM's approach in their lore storylines. BH's storyline metaphorically represent human's feelings & characteristics, meanwhile SM has a superhero, alternate universe lore concept. But sadly for an outsider, both don't seem very different hence these petty fanwars.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

They are connected in a basic level. There is a place Magic Island what you can find in most groups concepts.

There are elements which you find in more then one groups videos.

Cat-At first appeared good in BTS story but it tries to kill Yeonjun from Txt again and again. The cats blue and green eyes are an element that appears in the story.

Blue butterfly-BTS, Txt, Gfriend

Marbles-Txt, Gfriend

Burning Rose-Nuest, Enhypen (the rose element I think came with Nuest when they joined the bunch. They don’t seem to have a storyline like the BTS or txt but their Mvs have elements of the world)

Like I said in my post, it became more obvious since Aespa debut in 2020. Bighit storylines are metaphors for human feelings. Like Enhypen's vampire concept that it's about entering into a strange world since they became idols/vampires.

Great post OP!

:claps:

• Tecnically NCT's music is about their lore as well.. it's just that their lore involves dreams so it's easy to not notice if you aren't a fan. Just like the references to Kwangya in EXO and NCT songs... if you don't already know what it's referencing, the lyrics work even if you understand it as "wilderness".

The major difference with aespa is that they're not just a group with a concept like EXO, NCT, BTS, TXT, etc... they're a concept group. It's something you're more likely to see in a rock band doing. aespa is almost closer to something like Gorillaz or even something like the Love Live idol group.

Yeah, I update the first post and added the information I didn't know about EXO/NCT. And what you said about Aespa it's basically what I wrote with different words. They are very unique and different from the rest and they seem to be the reason why SM intensified Kwangya's narrative.

That does seem to be different.

Since I looked at TXT lore the most that’s the one I know the most. Txt incorporate the story in their lyrics, comeback videos and even award show performances.

Like during last year MMA performance their choreo was from this summer’s concept trailer. In the performance he had a hole in the heart. Just like the quote says in the beginning of 0x1=Lovesong.

This makes the fans job harder to stop things. We literally analyze everything to find clues.

:pepe-hehe:

Sometimes they do little gesture or say unrelated words in their Vlive and later we are like…

:pepefacepalm:

So that was a hint…

:pepe-clown-gear:

• SM being very upfront about their universe is something only really happened recently since Aespa's debut, but NCT since the start was actually quite lore heavy even though not even most nctzens notice it, as quarkie said, NCT's storyline revolves around dreams and it's very Matrix inspired (Neo) and as it's such a broad term often used in music you may not notice it actually has a meaning behind it. Thing is, SM played very well between the "generic song lyrics that can be relatable" and putting a layer of their storyline behind it, The 7th Sense or Limitless are examples of heavy storyline on the lyrics of the songs yet them being open to multiple interpretations. in fact, SM was very metaphorical when it came to showcasing it, maybe too metaphorical. I feel like SM constantly puts songs with double or triple meaning even when you think they are just saying "new thangs" or "sticker" and that's it, Aespa is just way more upfront about it but for NCT it was very much not in your face, it was more explained through projects like NCTmentary and teasers from their albums. It has a ton of theories just like Exo's

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• EDIT: EXO-L and NCTZEN explained that they use elements of their storyline in MVs but it's not that clear and more open to fan's interpretation.

I say this about BTS too I never knew they even had a world or concept and it’s never clear. None of their MVs ever looked linked to me. but that’s me because I don’t follow them.

EXO’s concept and story line is very active. It’s even a part of their concert.

Why is everyone talking about how EXO do their concept if they’ve never followed EXO

This is their latest VCR and even that features their concept and their superpowers

I need hybe Stan’s and or people who’ve never followed EXO to stop commenting about EXO’s lore.

• I do see your point

and i do agree with it

i am more fascinated with HYBE story telling

i feel like SM gets a little off track and or gets a little too vague with it or kinda drops it

but i dont know too many story lines of SM groups, i look into HYBE

The BTS story is so complex, i serously hope BTS returns into Korean music instead of english songs, i love thier english songs, but i wanna see them perform newer Korean tracks tho

• Well, EXO seems to have done something related to having superpowers at begin of their career but SM seems to have switched their concept to something more neutral and free as time went by. Even outside the music, correct me if I'm wrong, but their supposed storyline was kind of ignored?

umm no

their concept is very much present and they almost never included their storyline in their songs

they even had a comeback with their lore and even include it in their concerts

• It gets fun none the less, makes me wanna analyze more songs now :pepe-notes:

i wish i could watch thie V lives :peperain:

It does get Easy to spot things none the less! i like finding references lol :teeheek:

• The difference is that aespa throws their lore at everyone's face while other groups keep it secondary so you don't even notice it exists if you aren't a fan. And now SM is beginning to throw SMCU bs at everyone's face with their other acts too, whilst before they kept it secondary.

• Well, the fact that BTS has a storyline is very well known in the KPOP world. People may don't know how it's, but they know they have one. That storyline it's explored and explained in many contents outside of the music as I posted. They just aren't going full-on fantasy.

EXO doesn't always let it clear on the music like Aespa does and I thought they didn't have external content to explain it. I truly forgot about VCR, if you read my post you saw that I don't even mention it to any group. It was my fail. I just think that their MVs seem to be more related to the song itself than any storyline message. I'm not saying they don't have a storyline, I'm saying that it's not that clear that they have one if you aren't a fan. My point is that both companies explore it in different ways. SM in a more direct perspective and Hybe more metaphorically.

• Well, the fact that BTS has a storyline is very well known in the KPOP world. People may don't know how it's, but they know they have one. That storyline it's explored and explained in many contents outside of the music as I posted. They just aren't going full-on fantasy.

Only because armys are very vocal about it. I had no idea they had one just by watching a few of their MVs. I learned in this forum that they had one, but I still don't know what it is.

EXO doesn't always let it clear on the music like Aespa does and I thought they didn't have external content to explain it. I truly forgot about VCR, if you read my post you saw that I don't even mention it to any group. It was my fail. I just think that their MVs seem to be more related to the song itself than any storyline message. I'm not saying they don't have a storyline, I'm saying that it's not that clear that they have one if you aren't a fan. My point is that both companies explore it in different ways. SM in a more direct perspective and Hybe more metaphorically.

Not really never knew BTS had some connected storyline. And I’m pretty sure no one in my TL knows about it either.

Knowing or not knowing about something depends on who you interact with.

EXO MVs are very linked and you’ll know this if you’re part of the fandom that discusses theories. Just looking at BTS or TXT MVs never told me they had any lore either. Again unless you’re a fan who keeps track of the lore you don’t know what the story behind an MV is.

For me EXO’s concept is very much connected to their MV/concert/ and everything they do while the obvious hybe ones you mentioned are not at all obvious. Because I don’t know or follow them. Both the ones you mentioned and EXO are only obvious if you’re a fan.

• Only because armys are very vocal about it. I had no idea they had one just by watching a few of their MVs. I learned it in this forum that they had a lore, but I still don't know what it is.

Well, but if you read my post you saw they have many contents (outside music) related to it. Now it depends on each person wants to get to know more about it or not, but it's something related to time travel and they do have a more emotional approach.

• This thread contains 88 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!