I really hope Jisoo won't become a second Joy

• I actually like idol actors and I think it's a smart way how to stay in the entertainment bussiness longer as we can see even the older actors above the age of 40 getting the main roles in k dramas BUT I also think they should work their way into movies and dramas more gradually.

Why would they give an idol who never in their life had a proper acting gig a main role??? I don't expect them to have 4-5 smaller roles before hitting a main role like regular actors do. Ain't nobody has time for that but c'mon they should try playing a recurring side character at least once before staring as the main lead. It would be for their own good and also the proper actors would hate them less lol I've heard some actors are super annoyed with idol actors as they can lend a big role even tho their acting sucks...

As for Jisoo, I'm still quite excited for her drama as she's my fav BP member but I also think she should have tried something minor before hitting a big role like this. And no, I don't really count her previous acting gigs as proper acting roles. I don't wanna see her become a second Joy because really sorry Joy, I like you, but you can't act for life....maybe with more experiences and more training Joy can be solid but her acting in previous dramas was just tragic...and I also know it's not the girls' fault so don't take this as me bashing them, I'm making this thread to criticize their companies and also the production companies... :boredr:

Now there're idol actors who improved significantly over the years (Suzy or IU for example are really great now) and I hope Joy or Jisoo can do it too...I'm just a bit worried but maybe Jisoo is a natural talent, we will see unless the drama gets canceled after the 1st ep :annoyedk:

• she did have an acting role predebut. It was very small though.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• she did have an acting role predebut. It was very small though.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

yeah she basically played herself in Producers and she also appeard in Arthdal chronicles for like 30 seconds so that's why I said I don't count her previous acting gigs as proper roles because they really weren't

• I don't agree with all your points.

Have you actually watched all the dramas that Joy was in?

She actually did a good job, considering that most of them were musicals and she sang pretty much all the OST's for 'em.

Jisoo did good both on Producers and Arthdal, even tho they were really small roles.

But please, let's not compare them to Suzy and IU now, we can compare them to Dream High Suzy and IU if you want.

Also Jisoo has acting credits next to IU for Producers so yeah...

How about we wait to see the drama and judge?

How about we wait and see what Joy does next acting wise?

• I watched Tenpted and her performance was not good...it is what it is , not saying she can't improve tho

I tried the first drama , don't remember the name as I haven't even finished it

I just think it's not wise to give main role to a total rookie, it's not a rocket science

Jisoo's roles where really small there's no point bringing them up

I didn't compare them tho? I just said IU and Suzy are really great now as an example of idol actresses who improved a lot and I also said I hope Joy and Jisoo can get there too...we don't know how good Jisoo really is, I just hope she won't find herself in the situation Joy was in which brings me back to my point that it's not wise to give a main role to idol actor who barely had any acting roles before...I bet even they would feel more comfortable trying some side character roles first so they could at least gain some experience

• I watched Tenpted and her performance was not good...it is what it is , not saying she can't improve tho

I tried the first drama , don't remember the name as I haven't even finished it

I just think it's not wise to give main role to a total rookie, it's not a rocket science

Jisoo's roles where really small there's no point bringing them up

I didn't compare them tho? I just said IU and Suzy are really great now as an example of idol actresses who improved a lot and I also said I hope Joy and Jisoo can get there too...we don't know how good Jisoo really is, I just hope she won't find herself in the situation Joy was in which brings me back to my point that it's not wise to give a main role to idol actor who barely had any acting roles before...I bet even they would feel more comfortable trying some side character roles first so they could at least gain some experience

Umm, both Suzy and IU got their first main role exactly like that.

As I said, let's wait and see than judge?

• Umm, both Suzy and IU got their first main role exactly like that.

As I said, let's wait and see than judge?

Please show me where I said they didn't...I still think it would be better even for them to try something smaller before hitting the main roles

• I agree,,,, No matter how much I love Eunwoo, I can't be a hypocrite and say that he was a good actor from the beginning lol. His first roles were pretty bad, that's why people have this bad idea about his roles and no longer look at how much he improved. His last dramas were better, but only after playing pretty many roles as a main,,,,

Joy was terrible in Tempted, I had to skip so many scenes, but tbh it was also the producer's fault for making such a cheesy kdrama lol.

I also think idols should receive at the beginning supporting roles. It also helps the rating but also allows them to gain experience and see if they can act. Practice beats the theory. There are some companies that successfully teach their idols to act, for example, Rowoon's acting was really good from the start, but it's not the same for everyone.

It's sad that there are actors who lose their chance, but also it's the PD's dream to gain more viewers. Fortunately, there are pretty many kdramas that became popular even tho there are no idols there (Beyond Evil, Squid Game), so there is a place for everyone.

• I agree,,,, No matter how much I love Eunwoo, I can't be a hypocrite and say that he was a good actor from the beginning lol. His first roles were pretty bad, that's why people have this bad idea about his roles and no longer look at how much he improved. His last dramas were better, but only after playing pretty many roles as a main,,,,

Joy was terrible in Tempted, I had to skip so many scenes, but tbh it was also the producer's fault for making such a cheesy kdrama lol.

I also think idols should receive at the beginning supporting roles. It also helps the rating but also allows them to gain experience and see if they can act. Practice beats the theory. There are some companies that successfully teach their idols to act, for example, Rowoon's acting was really good from the start, but it's not the same for everyone.

It's sad that there are actors who lose their chance, but also it's the PD's dream to gain more viewers. Fortunately, there are pretty many kdramas that became popular even tho there are no idols there (Beyond Evil, Squid Game), so there is a place for everyone.

Facts :yesr:

but damn Beyond Evil was seriously so good, I still can't get over it

• U never know in this business. Squid game's hoyeon also got the main role on her first acting and she did good

Its more of chemistry with other actors and the script

There sure are natural talents, I'm not denying it but I suppose Hoyeon was going through multiple rounds of casting process before landing the role so there is that...sshe wasn't offered the role because she is a popular idol

• the difference is that joy is an idol turned actress, and jisoo was first promoted as an acting trainee

sure, she hasn't had any big speaking roles, but the sheer number of ads, mvs and even just guest roles that are short that she'd been in are good enough.

the only thing i'm worried about is her vocalization

except for that she's definitely good

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• It's incredibly easy to get tarred with the bad actor/actress image whilst it's incredibly hard to get rid of.

Joy had the unfortunate issue of not putting in a good performance on top of being in a show that had terrible writing/directing and subsequently bad ratings/reviews. Her next role is looking like it'll be more of a second female lead role so less pressure (and it has been a few years since Tempted) but to get rid of that image she needs either a stormer or a consistent run of good performances.

I don't massively rate IU as an actress and really she was only taken seriously as an actress after My Mister, which also happens to be one of the best written/directed kdramas of the last 10 years. She was good but the character didn't have much nuance (just depressed 99% of the time) and the star of the show was still the writing and Lee Sun-kyun, who wins a Dasesang for it if Lee Byung-hun didn't have an incredibly rare kdrama show in the year (Lee Byung-hun's star power on top of ability is hard to beat).

Scarlet Heart was a pan-asia hit but in SK it wasn't highly regarded and I remember there was a lot of criticism of IU's acting about (a lot of the actors in the show actually got panned as there were a bunch of idols). She definitely took the "stormer" route to getting rid of the bad actress tag with My Mister but you also need some luck with that with respect to the writing/other cast members.

Whereas someone like Nana has taken the consistently solid route to avoid the only a pretty face tag.

Jisoo will have more attention then any of them did for their debuts, especially with the controversies the show has had in the build up. But the writer also did Sky Castle and Jung Hae-in in my mind has an eye for a good script as I've never seen a show of his that's bad. He also has form for being consistently good in terms of chemistry with female leads so I think quite a lot of it bodes well for Jisoo.

I don't really agree with idols jumping straight into main roles and when I think about the best idol actors - the likes of D.O. and Im-Siwan, they all started with smaller roles. I remember watching It's Okay, that's Love in 2014 and not even knowing D.O was an idol. No idol has benefited more from an acting gig than Suzy and her role in Architecture 101 and there was no real female lead in that. You don't really need to be front and center from the start to make an impact, if anything the potential to get tarred by a bad performance is higher.

But I can also see why some companies won't turn down lead roles if they can get them for their idols. Snowdrop itself has two YG actresses and one former YG roster member out of the 7 main characters.

• jisoo also auditioned for snowdrop and beat out some famous actors

source

It still doesn't mean her being a super famous idol didn't play a role in the selection process but as I said above, she might be a natural talent and I sincerely wish her performance is going to be solid

I still think it's much better for everybody involved if a rookie idol actor starts with something smaller

• It still doesn't mean her being a super famous idol didn't play a role in the selection process but as I said above, she might be a natural talent and I sincerely wish her performance is going to be solid

I still think it's much better for everybody involved if a rookie idol actor starts with something smaller

we've been told that she auditioned against famous actresses and still won, and even impressed the people there, and you still choose to believe that she got it because she's part of blackpink?

sounds like youre biased

• Joy improved imho

I remember that Sejeong was called stiff and untalented but she's been receiving a lot of praises for her acting now, so people really can improve

Jisoo I will wait and see but I believe in her

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.

• Just finished watching the second episode of Succession HBO and the cast's top notch acting is so fucking gooood. :pepe-sad: They spoiled me so much, I see no difference between many drama actors and idols acting hahaha

Not fluent in English yet, so I will sound more dick-ish than I intend to, but Ill be honest. :pepegrin:

Idc about idols and Jisoo, but I laugh whenever these actors get offended.

All they, like 70 % of actors, do is make eyes go :pepeshock: , poker face and move their mouth. Esp when they supposed to act angry.They exaggerate a lot. Whenever they supposed to speak, they just move their mouth and that's it. Basically you can feel them acting. Only one part of their face moves. Maybe botox prevents them from expressing? lol idk.

Or am I being harsh because it's how Koreans act in real life?

So I don't expect from Jisoo that much. Like rom com actresses (bc 95% of hit dramas are about love) stay looking pretty for the camera. That's their career path. She will act as I described above, cry prettily for the audience and kiss the male lead. Then do it just in different scenarios in different dramas. That's what the main trio - JJH, SHK and KTH - do. Can you see her, Yoona or Suzy (or again that trio)in roles where they will have to be ugly or Joker crazy type of roles? Besides the fact that it won't look good for CF sponsors haha, be honest, they don't have the range. The only difference between them and many actresses is that good old idol prejudice and experience as the former were not good either when they started. :pepe-tea:

I'm sure there are good actors but there're not enough of them to be that cocky (I remember Yoo Jae Suk accepting his awards and actor sitting case). I wish they and their fans humbled themselves and the gp to not act like actors are acting gods they think they are. They can study and act for years and will still suck, given difficult roles Hollyweird A list actor get. :pepe-peek::peperun:

I have yet to see actors that impressed and left me speechless the way Succession cast did. You watch characters living their lives, not actor acting.

Just in case:

-Again, I'm talking the majority of the mainstream actors (usually your faves) in dramas, not all. I guess there's hierarchy between movie actors and drama actors in SK for a reason

-I'm a fellow not self hating Asian, not being xenophobic lol.

-I do love Succession bc it's underrated and deserves the hype GOT got.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my tedtalks. I got carried away :pepe-notes:

• I agree about Joy and hopefully she's improved

I never said IU was deemed to be a good actress from the get go tho...she wasn't particulary bad but not that great either ...it's just very apparent how she has gradually gotten better with every drama she was in ... and it's safe to say she's quite good now...

beside My mister, her performances in Persona and Hotel del Luna speak for themselves...she's got quite many movie releases ahead, they have been delayed because of pandemic tho

Kinda same with Suzy, she used to be criticized a lot but her acting in her recent dramas has started getting praise as she is pretty solid now

This all just proves my point about how important it is to have at least some experience in acting and it's not wise to give a lead role to a total rookie. As you said it's hard to get rid of the "bad actor" image once you're labeled with it...that's why it'd be wiser to not start with a big bang as it can turn into a big crunch very quickly

• we've been told that she auditioned against famous actresses and still won, and even impressed the people there, and you still choose to believe that she got it because she's part of blackpink?

sounds like youre biased

Yeah I am as she is my BP bias :pepe-use-head:

I just know how strong YG's mediaplay is so I'm a bit sceptical even towards my faves but as I already said she might be a natural talent and I'm hoping for the best for her

My opinion about giving a total rookie a lead role still remains the same tho ...ofc there are always exceptions for every rule so I hope she succeeds, the whole mess around Snowdrop and her being an idol rookie actress is just worrisome

• Yeah I am as she is my BP bias :pepe-use-head:

I just know how strong YG's mediaplay is so I'm a bit sceptical even towards my faves but as I already said she might be a natural talent and I'm hoping for the best for her

My opinion about giving a total rookie a lead role still remains the same tho ...ofc there are always exceptions for every rule so I hope she succeeds, the whole mess around Snowdrop and her being an idol rookie actress is just worrisome

she's filmed like the whole damn thing

wait for the drama to come out before "worrying" about her acting

• Idols are judged harshly from the very first acting roles, because unlike newbie actors, they already have considerable fame and fanbase.

It is unfair to them, just because someone is famous in only field/art, it does not mean they are similarly accomplished in another.

Jisoo and her fans, should lower the expectations. Maybe she will bloom into another IU or Suzy, maybe not. But that won't be known in such early outings.

For example, the K-drama 'Imitation' with a bunch of idol stars, well I know school kids who have put on better plays. The performances ranged from Stiff-awkward-I don't why I am here.

Only interesting character was Jiyeon's Lalima, showing some attitude and that also was wasted.

I don't think Snowdrop will be that bad, but still don't have much expectations from Jisoo.

But the larger question is, whether Jisoo will manage to have both idol career and acting career, at the present levels of success.

As far as I know, only IU has managed that.

Everyone else either mostly failed - BoA or almost entirely moved into acting, with infrequent singing - Jang Nara, Suzy. Yoona, Seo Hyun Jin, Yoon Eun Hye - so much so that most people won't even recognize that they started as idols and not actors.

• Joy improved imho

I remember that Sejeong was called stiff and untalented but she's been receiving a lot of praises for her acting now, so people really can improve

Jisoo I will wait and see but I believe in her

I don't really see how Joy improved as her last drama was Tempted and her performance was really weak...she has a new drama scheduled for 2021 so we will see

I didn't really folow Sejeong's career path but she was good in Uncanny counter :yesr:

and I didn't say people can't improve? Ofc they can and that's why it's wiser to start with anything but a lead role

• I don't really see how Joy improved as her last drama was Tempted and her performance was really weak...she has a new drama scheduled for 2021 so we will see

I didn't really folow Sejeong's career path but she was good in Uncanny counter :yesr:

and I didn't say people can't improve? Ofc they can and that's why it's wiser to start with anything but a lead role

I didn't say you said that, I was just commenting

mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.

• she's filmed like the whole damn thing

wait for the drama to come out before "worrying" about her acting

I can be worrying all I want , thanks for your concern :pepelove1:

If you actually read what I wrote above, you would understand my point, it's not just about Jisoo

• I can be worrying all I want , thanks for your concern :pepelove1:

If you actually read what I wrote above, you would understand my point, it's not just about Jisoo

and that makes it worse.

people like you constantly "worrying" about how idols are going to act is why there's pressure on them to begin with.

why the heck are you making assumptions when there's a month till her drama comes out.

on top of that you claimed to be biased toward her but you claim that she hasn't done any acting at all.

she's done crying scenes in epik highs spoiler mv back in 2015, and even one in 2020 for lovesick girls.

jisoo will do just fine. you dont need to make speculative threads about her, as if there arent enough already

• I didn't really folow Sejeong's career path but she was good in Uncanny counter

More than K-dramas, Sejeong's acting chops have been established with the many variety shows she has done.

She is doing well in both streams,

School 2017 and Uncanny Counter did well.

Busted with YJS and other stars, is a huge boost.

• Idols are judged harshly from the very first acting roles, because unlike newbie actors, they already have considerable fame and fanbase.

It is unfair to them, just because someone is famous in only field/art, it does not mean they are similarly accomplished in another.

I agree there's a big focus on idol actors because they are already famous but well that's why the production companies cast them into their dramas ... idols are judged harshly when they have a leading role as their debut and they suck at acting ...newbie actors rarely get a lead role as their debut (although it's not impossible) so even if their skills are not that great people don't pay them as much attention as to lead actors

For example, the K-drama 'Imitation' with a bunch of idol stars, well I know school kids who have put on better plays. The performances ranged from Stiff-awkward-I don't why I am here.

Only interesting character was Jiyeon's Lalima, showing some attitude and that also was wasted.

oh lord I haven't watched that yet and I guess I won't :teeheek:

I don't think Snowdrop will be that bad, but still don't have much expectations from Jisoo.

But the larger question is, whether Jisoo will manage to have both idol career and acting career, at the present levels of success.

As far as I know, only IU has managed that.

Everyone else either mostly failed - BoA or almost entirely moved into acting, with infrequent singing - Jang Nara, Suzy. Yoona, Seo Hyun Jin, Yoon Eun Hye - so much so that most people won't even recognize that they started as idols and not actors.

I don't think Snowdrop is going to be bad well if it doesn't get canceled after 1st ep , I just think the amount of pressure on Jisoo might be too much and it would be better if she started with a supporting role

You also place an interesting question here....I actually think it's better for idols to move to acting at some point because actor's career is longlasting unlike idol's ...you can still hit it big as an actor even when you're in your 40s , the same can't be said about idols

Caitlyn Vi Vi Caitlyn GIF - Caitlyn Vi Vi Caitlyn Arcane - Discover & Share  GIFs

Edited once, last by _Dalnim ().

• I don't see why you're getting so wound up by this.

Fans like OP aren't why Jisoo will have lots of pressure - having her full debut as the female lead opposite a popular male actor and in the first project of a writer following up the incredibly successful Sky Castle is what will lead to more scrutiny and attention.

It's not kpop fans that get kpop idols praised or criticised in this aspect.

• I don't see why you're getting so wound up by this.

Fans like OP aren't why Jisoo will have lots of pressure - having her full debut as the female lead opposite a popular male actor and in the first project of a writer following up the incredibly successful Sky Castle is what will lead to more scrutiny and attention.

It's not kpop fans that get kpop idols praised or criticised in this aspect.

constantly bringing this crap up when there's already enough drama about it is what pisses me off.

this thread clearly assumes that jisoo is going to do badly under the hidden "concern" that "she'll end up like joy"

this thread clearly makes her out to have no experience at all, when jisoo has done acting in mvs (i'll link spoiler mv below, that's one of her best works) and ads (including ones with lee minho who's definitely a bigger name than haein), and has had a few short cameo roles. on top of that, jisoo got in through an audtion which op refuses to acknowledge.

it's the constant undermining that's pissing me off, not the discussion.

External Content youtu.be

• But you see the challenge right,

Production companies want idols to benefit from their fame, but then to put them into a supporting/minor role will not serve the purpose.

Ensemble roles are better, to spread the risk.

IU/Suzy had dream high and IU continued with ensembles, even when playing the main part- You are the best, Scarlet Heart, The Producers all had other major story lines.

Bel Ami - did not and nobody even mentions it much.

Suzy broke out earlier. Architecture 101, but even that she was the younger version.

Yes, I would not recommend 'Imitation' to anyone.

Anyway we will see how 'Snowdrop' does.

• people like you constantly "worrying" about how idols are going to act is why there's pressure on them to begin with.

the pressure is put on them the moment they do something they don't have any skills in which bring me to the whole point of this thread it is better to start with something smaller so they can gain experience and not be scrutinized for every mistake they make

why the heck are you making assumptions when there's a month till her drama comes out.

on top of that you claimed to be biased toward her but you claim that she hasn't done any acting at all.

Maybe try to train your reading comprehension skills ...I see there is no point in replying to you so this my last reply ...some quotes of what I said above

And no, I don't really count her previous acting gigs as proper acting roles

yeah she basically played herself in Producers and she also appeard in Arthdal chronicles for like 30 seconds so that's why I said I don't count her previous acting gigs as proper roles because they really weren't

And no I don't count her crying in a MV as a real acting experience because it's simply dumb to compare acting in MV to an actual drama shoot

I also never said Jisoo is going to suck, I just said it is not wise to give to a rookie a leading role, that's also why I used Joy as an example and I have the same opinion about IU and Suzy who are quite solid now

I can make any thread I want to, if you don't like it, just ignore it

• I don't agree with everything you said but you're making some good points and god you made me laugh :teeheek:

I would recommend you Beyond Evil, the acting of the main lead is one of the best performances I've seen in korean dramas and the story is superb

• This thread contains 27 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!