Are girlgroups not talented enough to produce their own song?

• I feel it's the industry.

Like Hyolyn wanted to write a song for Sistar but it got rejected because company said it doesn't not fit or something like that

Think same problems happened for CL maybe like you don't see Big Bang being as restricted when it comes to writing songs but then when it comes to CL, well....

A lot are kinda still restricted to rap though. Like for instance Yeeun from CLC and Mimi from Oh My Girl writes their raps as well, especially Mimi. Miryo from BEG is also one of the most credited female rappers on KOMCA. Feels like over the years it is getting better but not at the level of freedom BGs are getting

Soyeon is one of the first few who really overcame those barriers. IZ*ONE members also wrote some songs for their albums

• Restrictions on freedom + lack of training and support since it's not seen as a selling point for GGs as much as it is for BGs(at least currently)

A company is 100% more likely to support a male idol considering both male and female idol have the same willingness and interest in learning this.

Also depends on how much what the female idol wants to convey aligns with the image the company wants to convey for the members which is basically just restricting freedom.

• The reality is a lot of girl group trainees aren't trained up in music composition and production. I've seen my faves talk a lot about their training days many times and never once heard them talk about it. they talk about dance classes, singing lesson, monthly evaluations, English and Chinese classes, etc but not that so, at least at JYPE, it doesn't seem to be something they offer to girl trainees.

It wasn't until heavily into their careers did Chaeyoung get to produce a song.

Even for JYPE it was hard for BGs as well at the start. I'm not exactly too sure for 2pm but I remember GOT7 was pretty annoyed for not being able to put out songs they want. Like they didn't has as much freedom to the songs they want to choose to be titles.

I think Day6 JYPE's first group that wrote all their songs. They kinda wanted to market them as a real band and less of an idol band so they focused heavily on songwriting. In fact Day6 wrote over 100 songs that all got rejected before JYPE finally approved their debut song. This freedom then it slowly expanded to Stray Kids. But for ITZY I'm not sure.

• I think it depends on the label, whether they encourage their artists and train them for song writing or not

For example, since the beginning, RM and Suga were the only ones that has experience in song writing and producing (mainly Suga). But over the years, Bighit got this system where the boys have to write songs and compose them and then share with Bang PD and other producers who will choose the best ones.. So it’s not surprising the earlier works are more of RM and Suga (and then J-hope). But now we are enjoying songs composed by other members even in their albums. Before, Bighit let them share their composition on Soundcloud, for their artistic growth, so there will be no problem with their songs not matching the group’s current concept.

I wish other labels would emulate this so that the artists will experience themselves the ups and downs of song writing and composing. Because otherwise, how will they grow?

As for GGs, I’m sure there are many idols that have the talent but not given the right tools to excel in song writing or composing. I love that Soyeon set the bar high and show everyone that girls are capable too

• My impression is women in general inclines to be less interested in music composition.

This has psychological support. Psychological/psychiatric studies suggests that women incline to be more interested in interpersonal job. Music composition job is mostly about of spending time with yourself and the computer machine/music instrument.

On the other hand, I find women more likely to be interested in choreography and companions are needed to design the dance formation.

Lyric writing is another creative job women prefer. Language itself is interpersonal tool so, by average, women are more interested in language than men.

• I'll give my opinion as someone who stans the two biggest extremes on JYPE when It comes to that. Stray Kids has production and/or writing credits in all the songs of their discography and ITZY didn't compose any of the songs of their albums yet.

Earlier this year, Stray Kids was invited to a japanese program to get interviewed about production. During this show, Chan explained he had his first experience with production during training when he and other trainees were showcasing their skills on performances and he decided to edit the music for that. Changbin explained he auditioned to JYPE with simple raps and beats he made, but with a lot of interest to learn more. They were just teenagers with 0 experience to master this skill, but a lot of interest and potential, so of course, there weren't as professional as they are nowdays. So JYPE, seeing that, offered for Chan, Changbin and Han classes on producting and arranging software.

While ITZY, I've never seen the girls talking about such a thing. NEVER. They've talked about their training period, but their routine had nothing to write and production. I've never seen they saying they had interest or If they don't, If it was offered opportunities for them to develop a skill or not. Sometimes It makes me reflect If they just didn't show interest. But then I remember TWICE's Chaeyoung case where she openly show interest for composition and probably didn't have bigger opportunities since her training. So, sometimes, I think that even if they wanted, the agency seems to have a different plan and vision for their female idols anyway.

Edited once, last by Minazuki ().

• More like KPOP is a sexist industry much like the music industry in general.

One thing that needs to be said is boy groups dont rely on public support so they can release any bad song while girl groups rely on general public so need better songs that appeal to the general public.

YG for example had CL basically locked up until the last album writing wise and she wrote some amazing songs on Crush.

CL was lead writer on 4 songs and second writer on another , main producer on 3 song, before that she wasnt really allowed to put her songs on the album so it just shows how sexist in general YG is.

• I think this isn't something complex or some big no freedom etc thing, this most likely is just a simple thing about interest. This is just like the stem field argument why there isn't xyz girls in this or that when the plain reality is men have a higher interest in wanting to do that over girls.

Just like there's more male producers,djs and lyricist is the same thing with why there's more male scientists than women. Because guys on average want to tinker with shit, women on average just don't care for doing that stuff even when they are presented the same education and opportunity. The same reason there's more male mechanics today, most women don't like the idea of carrying heavy shit, lugging around tools and being covered in dirt, oil and grease and stuck in tight spaces all damn day

• Can you name one from 3rd gen?

LE from Exid is producing/co-producing songs even now for girl group TRI.BE

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• They're either not talented enough or don't have the desire. I don't believe in the lack of opportunity excuse. If the girls can write and produce good songs then why would their companies not release them?

• tbh even most male artists their "self-producing" is more marketing than actual substantial contribution. 90% of male groups who supposedly write their own songs always have like 4 or more other songwriters credited. Who's to say how big their contribution really was? Once these idols start producing songs for other artists without substantial contribution from others (e.g. Zico and Suga), then I start to believe in their production prowess.

• Why r some of you so obsessed with self producing? The songs just don't become great because of self production.

Whether the song will become "great" or not, it doesn't really matter. Self producing groups/ idols will still be more respected.

• SNSD has called out SM several times for rejecting their songs & lyrics lol

Tiffany shared, “We tried to write our own songs, but the company rejected all of our songs.” The added, “We think we should add the lyrics ‘an unknown world’ or ‘goddesses of fortune’ to our songs,”

This was from Sketchbook where she performed bits from 'Bittersweet & Crazy' , her self-written songs that got away by time lol

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Outside of SM I think Jessica Jung wrote all her lyrics and co-produced all songs , except for Fly which she wrote herself

Idk about the rest lol, Soshi members are more into writing lyrics thanks to SM who keeps rejecting their songs

영원히 소녀시대! BLACKPINK IS THE REVOLUTION                      original.gif

• Yes, indeed. TXT talked about how they were trained on songs writing and producing. Company also encourage them to write tons of songs, composing, producing and pushing their passion more into music.

It makes me curious if they debut a GG, would they receive similar training like BG? :melon_think:

• Also, about the conversation of If the self-producted song being good or not, this is relative. It may not me good to me, but It's for someone else. Just like a song made by other producers may be good to me, but not for others. Simply cause there's not objective answer for music and It's quality. This shouldn't even be discussed, because It's obvious atp. The only objetive stuff here is producing or not producing.

• This thread contains 29 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!