what is the secret of Lovesick Girls massive success ?

• Despite the very heavy competition,despite the very minimal promotion, despite being released on national holiday and also have 2 national scandal (nurse and panda scandal), Lovesick Girl is finally the longest BP song to ever chart on TOP 10 , already surpassing 100 days . Considering there's no major release besides IU, it actually have chance to break CU record, becoming the longest gg song ever to chart on top 10 melon. Literally no one see it coming, not even blinks.

i honestly think its because the song is relatable for the youth especially teenagers (well we all know ppl actually dealing with heartbreak etc).

• you are right about heartbreak, it probably also "hits the spot" of loneliness during corona times

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• IDK what it is about the song, but it’s one of the few that I like more and more with every listen, even months later.

It’s a very well rounded song and just feels “complete”.

• I think it's a hit and any hits will last longer in the top 10 these days, just look at the UL's, previously songs strgulled to get top 20 with 200k and now you'll get top 5, hell 300k will see you at number 1.

I can't say 'massive competition' when 1 of the songs in the top 10 is like 8 months old and Gaon has never in it's histpry posted lower numbers than the last 2 months.

• I think it's a hit and any hits will last longer in the top 10 these days, just look at the UL's, previously songs strgulled to get top 20 with 200k and now you'll get top 5, hell 300k will see you at number 1.

I can't say 'massive competition' when 1 of the songs in the top 10 is like 8 months old and Gaon has never in it's histpry posted lower numbers than the last 2 months.

reject sisters and dyna were string back then

• reject sisters and dyna were string back then

Yes and Dynamite is what? Number 2 currently? Or 3 and both will likely stay a good while longer, lets say IU knocks em down one spot that'll be about it.

Refund Sisters had huge hype coming in but let's be real it's sinking like a stone. I think people need to get used to the new system having different rules and expectations about day 1 vs longevity.

The top 5 UL's alone show you the kind of interest in the songs right now. 300-200 thousand UL's older songs in the previous system were considered flops with numbers like that.

I think a genuine hit song can expect to stay in the top 10 for 20+ weeks easy where previously massive hits like D4, Cheer Up, LS and BWL couldn't pass that mark. The new 40/60 system is so different now it makes it not only hard for songs to climb, but even songs that debut low in the charts have held position much much better than previously.

I think in a year or two we'll have a much more comprehensive feeling of what a hit/mega hit charting should look like compared to before, this reminds me a little bit of the 2013 price change, it feels like a new era and with the pandemic it makes it even harder to tell with the charts.

• :eyes: oh its refund not reject. thanks for showing me that. 2013?i was anti kpop back then. imo only the songs in top 10 that peaked gp interest can have great longevity. so its harder to chart and stay in top 10 compared to the previous one

paks will be rarer than dodo birds from now on

some songs drop too fast too

overall this new is better despite being harder to chart and have longevity in

• :eyes: oh its refund not reject. thanks for showing me that. 2013?i was anti kpop back then. imo only the songs in top 10 that peaked gp interest can have great longevity. so its harder to chart and stay in top 10 compared to the previous one

paks will be rarer than dodo birds from now on

some songs drop too fast too

overall this new is better despite being harder to chary and have longevity in

I think the new chart is better as hits can't get pushed down by album bombs or zombie streams very easily like they could in previous years, thos I do think it's very very hash on certain acts who are basically unkown to the GP currently and can't really afford or have the company to help the promote on TV.

I think those type of indie acts or much smaller idol groups could struggle in this system since it's a lot harder to climb up and become visible, other than that I think Melon needed to make the change.

What I mean is in 2013 the price change happened and people had to essentially adjust expectations for what a top song would sell(kind of like Melon now in terms of UL's and longevity) Songs previously could sell 3-4m DL's, but post 2013 a top hit usually gets 2.5m sales, and same with Melon I think a top song would get 700-1m UL's but now it's more like 300-600k, but at a trade off is much much harder to get pushed down the chart. It's probably better overall.

• I think the new chart is better as hits can't get pushed down by album bombs or zombie streams very easily like they could in previous years, thos I do think it's very very hash on certain acts who are basically unkown to the GP currently and can't really afford or have the company to help the promote on TV.

I think those type of indie acts or much smaller idol groups could struggle in this system since it's a lot harder to climb up and become visible, other than that I think Melon needed to make the change.

What I mean is in 2013 the price change happened and people had to essentially adjust expectations for what a top song would sell(kind of like Melon now in terms of UL's and longevity) Songs previously could sell 3-4m DL's, but post 2013 a top hit usually gets 2.5m sales, and same with Melon I think a top song would get 700-1m UL's but now it's more like 300-600k, but at a trade off is much much harder to get pushed down the chart. It's probably better overall.

treasure would have charted better before the reform. this new chart can also prevent sajaegi too. hitting 2.5m download now is extremely hard too

its has its pros and cons but mostly pros

also there are more streams than downloads nowadays

• The long run inside of the top 10 is because of the chart reform

Except by Life Boes On every song in the top 10 has at least 15 weeks on top 10

Nowadays is much harder to get into top 10, hence the few songs that are sucessful enough to make into top 10 will stay there for a looong time

However we can't deny koreans loved the song, it could have make into top 10 then drop fast right after the release, but after a very lukewarm 24 hours ULs the song kept growing for about 3 weeks

• BP showed 3 different sides this year and all of them were hits in a different way

I think groups like BP and BTS are so big they can release a song without promoting it and it’s gonna do well anyway

Koreans have said enough times they are so proud of those groups they will support them regardless

And, its a very well done song and very catchy, especially the chorus

• I'd say because it's showing the fresh side of Blackpink. The concept and the lyrics is relatable probably to the youth community. Also the song felt complete, no empty choruses. The instrumentals of the song itself is great.

Lovesick Girls is As If It's Your Last's daughter. I expect it to beat AIIYL's longevity. Fun fact, both songs have full choruses.

One of the reasons would be the chart reform. The chart reform is like a two sides of coin, it'll benefit the artist or it wont end well. At first, i dont really think Lovesick Girls will chart this long, and then christmas happenes, LSG was out from TOP10 but suddently go back to the TOP5 after the christmas ended.

Also, GP loves this song. This song entered the TOP10 Gallup under 30 in span of 2 months. Lovesick Girls charted weirdly but awesome at the same time. If GP dont like the song, it should've been out since long time ago just like other Idol group songs that enter the TOP10 other than BTS and BP. Seems like BP has great longevity now, HYLT is still in TOP30 and sometimes rise to #25

Blackpink's power indeed

• Speaking within the kpop community, it might've been the change of concept and meaning, as before during 2020, How You Like That was said to be a copy of D4, Kill This Love, and many kpop fans/Blinks were disappointed. Ice Cream, we all know how that went. It also wasn't that well-received.

I saw many blinks saying that they wanted something like Stay, Playing with Fire, something like Blackpink's older releases.

Lovesick Girls was much different, it was a more well-rounded song. The concept wasn't "re-used", great lyrics, good song, etc.

• The 5 K-blinks and the 444k nurses :wink:

On a serious side note...

With Jensoo contributing to the song, it makes the success of LSG even more satisfying.

As this means that we will further see them have a hand in future title tracks.

• This thread contains 16 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!