Itzy and rap...

• THIS IS MY OPINION!

I know people will hate me or call me hater but I have to say it:

Rapping is more than just talking fast. I usually like Itzy‘s song but they really disappointed me with this one. The beat is a bop and really catchy but the overall flow is being destroyed by the talking like rap and that weird ringdingding part in the chorus. I usually do not expect 2pac rap from idols or in songs but when the rap literally destroys the song, it is too much for me. It also highlights how important actually rap training is. Yeji‘s flow was alright but the tone of yuna‘s rap was so out of place. Ryujin‘s rap seemed off as well.

This was also something that i noticed in Not Shy but it was tolerable for me. In Mafia since the whole song is almost rap, it is much more apparent than in Not Shy.

I would prefer if they changed it into a more singing like rapping (like J-hope does it often) or just skip the rap parts.

Keep in mind this is my opinion and I have nothing against the girls. There is also more that seems off to me like the mixing of the vocals or the song writing. They are not sounding harmonious at some parts and quite dissonant to the bgm and overall flow

Now y‘all can hate me

• Why is it only Kpop that people criticize this for? American "rap" in 2021 is just like ITZY's new single except in English. Rap in general hasn't been good in years.

Bruh, people criticize American rap as well. It might be that you do not notice that since this is a kpop forum but people drag rap artists even here

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i do agree that if they had better rappers i probably wouldve liked the song more. I thought yuna was good but ryujin was given akward lines . like she should have had yeji's lines and yeji shouldve been given singing parts.

• das ok though, I don't think this should garner you hate op
    :pepecute:

I also don't think the rapping was high tier either but I still enjoyed it, specially Yuna's bits. The girls could always use improvement.

I wouldn’t mind the song in the club or something but when I listen with headphones, I especially look into flow and it seems off to me but in a club, even I would shake my ass lmaoo

• I mean a good rap cant save that song much either..

the biggest strong point of itzy is their super unique pre chorus and a catchy chorus..

this song lacks both, they tried in the chorus but that hook just kinda dies..

I dont particularly think their raps are the problem, not shy didnt have a great one either but that song still bops

• the lyrics were seductive and teasing and about control but Yuna's voice came across a bit cutesy

Overall the rap parts needed more punch, it would have fit better with the mafia theme if they had that

the singing parts were the highlight for me, Lia especially

Edit: I don't think it's Yuna's fault

They're told to rap at that pitch, usually higher pitched rapping doesn't work out that well

The producer or whoever it is should think about that

I liked how she said "I'm the mafia" in the chorus, it was spot on

Edited 4 times, last by Queeeenie ().

• Yaaaas, and they did a stage for Sorry not sorry if you're interested.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They should have taken Sorry not Sorry or Kidding me as their title track :(

• the lyrics were about seductive and teasing and in control but Yuna's voice came across a bit cutesy

Overall the rap parts needed more punch, it would have fit better with the mafia theme

the singing parts were the highlight for me, Lia especially

Same, I really liked Lia‘s voice and the overall vocal parts. Yuna‘s voice is a hit or miss for me. I really liked her voice in Dalla Dalla since it sounded cheeky but in mafia it sounded to try hard for me. They should let her either rap in a lower tone or let her do something in between singing and rapping

• Bruh, people criticize American rap as well. It might be that you do not notice that since this is a kpop forum but people drag rap artists even here

External Content youtu.be

yeah... damn Snoop so true here, legendary guy and he knows well how it was in the past when everyone has his own characteristics.

speaking about female rap now we can say

Everglow rap line > ITZY rap line

• yeah... damn Snoop so true here, legendary guy and he knows well how it was in the past when everyone has his own characteristics.

speaking about female rap now we can say

Everglow rap line > ITZY rap line

One of my favorite girl group members who rap without destroying the flow and not exactly being the best rappers, are the ones from woo!ah!. They are not 2pac but their rapping has a little bit flow and does not sound like an entirely different song. Blackpink‘s rap is good too and everglow‘s rap is sometimes better sometimes worse.

• One of my favorite girl group members who rap without destroying the flow and not exactly being the best rappers, are the ones from woo!ah!. They are not 2pac but their rapping has a little bit flow and does not sound like an entirely different song. Blackpink‘s rap is good too and everglow‘s rap is sometimes better sometimes worse.

yeah and Sumin and J from STAYC also don't rap hella fast but it's very pleasant

• Yes, they have to work on the delivery of their flows. I like Itzy, so I don't mind putting it out there when they are doing good or if they could do better.

Yuna's delivery was somewhat adequate, but I think the way they EQ'ed all their rap vocals didn't hit/feel exactly right. Ryujin is the member with the most attitude and sass, so I am disappointed that they gave her shakey bars: "Hurry up and catch me if you can haha"?!! instead of "Hurry up and catch me if you can't wait?

It would have been fire if she said something in a tripplet flow like,"Servin' up Pokerface/You better know your place/Hurry-up-and catch me if-you-can't-wait

Edited once, last by DMV2DMZ ().

• Yes, they have to work on the delivery of their flows. I like Itzy, so I don't mind putting it out there when they are doing good or if they could do better.

Yuna's delivery was somewhat adequate, but I think the way they EQ'ed all their rap vocals didn't hit/feel exactly right. Ryujin is the member with the most attitude and sass, so I am disappointed that they gave her shakey bars: "Hurry up and catch me if you can haha"?!! instead of "Hurry up and catch me if you can't wait?

It would have been fire if she said something in a tripplet flow like,"Servin' up Pokerface/You better know your place/Hurry-up-and catch me if-you-can't-wait

I think it was more than only the EQ. They should have tuned her vocals more that they fit the bgm. But i agree with the rest

• Honestly i don't really understand what JYP thought when he choose mafia as their title track

he should choose title track who highlight their qualities

and not their weakness

and we all know that Rap is Itzy biggest weakness

it sounded great in not shy, Icy etc...because it was just 2 lines of rap from ryujin it wasn't really a problem

but Mafia is a rap song so i don't really understand JYP

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• The song is just bad and it just worse than Not Shy.

I thought Not Shy is already bad, but this one takes it on another level.

No offense to Midzy.

Dalla Dalla is still their best song.

• I don't want this to come across as overly harsh to bae Ryujin who is perfection in 99.9% of ways, but her lines in this at least are less jarring than "ERR'BODY ERR'BODY TEACHING ME".

Rap is never a strength at JYP unless the idols themselves have a passion for it. It's rarely a strength at companies where it is actually taught well^^ I think Ryujin is just stuck unfortunately, but it's not her fault. I don't think any female idol could do better with those lines and that song. It's like asking someone to deliver a silk dress from a clump of cat hair. She's not a miracle worker.

• Yeah idk, i didn’t like the rapping at all. They tried to rap and follow the flow of the song/beat instead of crafting its own flow through words and it just made the raps sound like a jumbled mess.

If you have a fast beat, you either need to know how to rap at that pace, rap off beat with a unique flow, or change the beat for the rap part.

It’s weird seeing people say they like the song, when a core part of it is shit.

• I generally don't like their rapping, I think it's more fast talking and kinda screaming, but some their titles are still bops, but I don't like the new one and rap there too

• I think its more JYP fault as a producer

Honestly the rapping parts of DALLA2x & WANNABE were fine

The rapping part of Dallax2 is fucking amazing tbh.

The only time I can think of JYP writing a decent rap is in What Is Love?. Usually I just cringe hard at the rap in a JYP-written song.

But I didn't cringe at anything in this.

So, whatever.

• The rapping part of Dallax2 is fucking amazing tbh.

The only time I can think of JYP writing a decent rap is in What Is Love?. Usually I just cringe hard at the rap in a JYP-written song.

But I didn't cringe at anything in this.

So, whatever.

Yes that why Galactika should be their next producer no more Asiansoul JYP

JYP should stop sabotaging Itzy & Twice. He already lost his touch.

Yes especially that legendary parts "Risky Risky Wiggy wiggy This is an Emergency.."

Idk what goes through his head :pepe-cringe:

• I don't want this to come across as overly harsh to bae Ryujin who is perfection in 99.9% of ways, but her lines in this at least are less jarring than "ERR'BODY ERR'BODY TEACHING ME".

Rap is never a strength at JYP unless the idols themselves have a passion for it. It's rarely a strength at companies where it is actually taught well^^ I think Ryujin is just stuck unfortunately, but it's not her fault. I don't think any female idol could do better with those lines and that song. It's like asking someone to deliver a silk dress from a clump of cat hair. She's not a miracle worker.

I can only think of Soyeon, because she has a unique flow and very fast. She would doing an excellent job. Soyeon is a rare who can improvise and write in kpop.

Yes that why Galactika should be their next producer no more Asiansoul JYP

JYP should stop sabotaging Itzy & Twice. He already lost his touch.

Yes especially that legendary parts "Risky Risky Wiggy wiggy This is an Emergency.."

Idk what goes through his head :pepe-cringe:

Actually, the part of Risk Wiggy on Twice song is my favorite. :teeheek: Normally I don't like the song but I liked the part very much. :pepelove1:

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!