What do u guys think about the current state of kpop and the fandoms now?

• This is not supposed to be a "kpop used to be so much better before etc" because I know that's annoying and we will never go back to how it used to be, for better or worse. I still enjoy what we have now but idk I think all this obsession with success kind of made kpop less fun and too serious. Even the fights before were more fun with all the memes. Kpop groups can release so many fun songs and concepts but if it's not successful, stans now just dismiss it. I miss the time when I was a newbie into kpop and used to see popular groups and nugus exactly the same way, only judging their music, mv and choreos. But now everything seem so polished so it's not cringy or whatever, but haters would hate kpop anyway with or without the camp, and polishing it to the point any western artist could've released the same stuff kind of kills what used to make kpop fun and full of life. It's not like kpop artists stopped releasing fun stuff, it's more like the reception to anything released became colder, idk. I like a lot of kpop content, but I see kpop stans talking shit about kpop all the time and it's so weird to see fans talking shit about something they should enjoy. It's almost like they're embarrassed to like what they like and kind of kills the morale of kpop stans overall.

I may not be making sense I'm just saying whatever cross my mind rn. Feel free to rant about what u think here release what's on your mind

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I don't like "popization" of kpop

don't know how to even properly describe it

kpop used to have kind of own sounds, structure it was either bubbly, catchy or girl crush with rap

now it's becoming either like us rnb songs or benelux or scandinavian europop

it's weird...

the only think I like is that some groups started to do more anime opening/ending style songs, which is great

• I get what you mean. It's less over the top now, kpop companies are trying to take the less risky route. I kind of get why though, because nmixx have tried different stuff several times and everyone seem to hate their music. But sometimes it pays off, in SM's case for example. I really like that company because they're always very bold and unapologetic with their creative choices.

What do you mean about anime style songs though? I don't think I ever noticed this, imo Gfriend hits always gave me that vibe and I don't see it around anymore. Fortunately cause tbh I never enjoyed anime type of songs besides that one from Beastars.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I started following kpop in 2018 and i really dont see much difference between the fandoms now and then, at least as far as toxicity is concerned.

Fandoms are simultaneously the best and worst part of being a kpop fan. On one hand, itd be no fun if i didnt have others to gush over my favs with. On the other hand, sometimes i dont even wanna look at comments because i know im gonna see a million people trying to ruin my enjoyment.

Forgot music, im not tied to any specific sounds and will listen to anything if i find it enjoyable, so i do like the way kpop seems to be becoming more experimental and branching out beyond girl crush or cute concept

• For music, I'm not happy with the musical directions groups are taking but like you said, it's probably not going back.

Songs that I do like don't chart well which means companies are probably not likely to go with that sound again but some groups never chart well no matter the song which means they're left with the decision of either sticking with the groups identity or keep trying different concept each comeback until something hits.

• I get what you mean. It's less over the top now, kpop companies are trying to take the less risky route. I kind of get why though, because nmixx have tried different stuff several times and everyone seem to hate their music. But sometimes it pays off, in SM's case for example. I really like that company because they're always very bold and unapologetic with their creative choices.

What do you mean about anime style songs though? I don't think I ever noticed this, imo Gfriend hits always gave me that vibe and I don't see it around anymore. Fortunately cause tbh I never enjoyed anime type of songs besides that one from Beastars.

(G)I-DLE - FATE sounds like song straight out of anime

• I welcome variability and think It's important even If sometimes a thing wouldn't be my cup of tea.

This generation Stray Kids, ITZY and NewJeans couldn't be more different from each other and I'm grateful, because I stan each one of them for very distinct reasons.

It would be terrible If every group was similar. But sometimes I think It is what a portion of stans want, for K-pop to be completely homogeneous and lined up to their own taste.

• I started following kpop in 2018 and i really dont see much difference between the fandoms now and then, at least as far as toxicity is concerned.

Fandoms are simultaneously the best and worst part of being a kpop fan. On one hand, itd be no fun if i didnt have others to gush over my favs with. On the other hand, sometimes i dont even wanna look at comments because i know im gonna see a million people trying to ruin my enjoyment.

Forgot music, im not tied to any specific sounds and will listen to anything if i find it enjoyable, so i do like the way kpop seems to be becoming more experimental and branching out beyond girl crush or cute concept

Yeah compared to 3rd gen fanwars 4th gen fanwars aren't too different. I was talking about 2nd gen when I said it used to be fun, sones vs blackjacks had some hilarious memes in that era. The funniest I've seen recently that resembled that time was an interaction on twitter from illit and babymon stans, hopefully there will be more fun fanwars like that instead of the usual "my faves achievements are more impressive than yours" bs.

I agree with you about fandoms, while it's fun sometimes it's draining because some ppl are too negative.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Hm, mostly speaking from my own perspective but I feel like i have graduated from Kpop fan phase and the newer gen idols are not for me - it feels like seeing young freshman joining while youre on your last week of college. Youre happy and excited for them but ready to say good luck and bye too.

As a kid I watched 2nd gen idols and thought oh cool guys/girls with such fun music but had no clue about idol culture but in 3rd gen i found mostly same aged relatable idols who had similar quirks/interests/fashion/habits as me and i think that made me fangirl and consume kpop idol content a lot more; i dont have that with 4th gen so i only enjoy the music part and plan on keeping that way. No more fandom following/buying or watching idol content for me, if i find the music fun (regardless of its charting) its making to my playlist and that's about it.

For me, I think kpop didnt change but I sure did.

Even the fights before were more fun with all the memes.

Yeah but I think that 5th gen fight with ILLIT and BM barbie meme was hilarious xD

• For music, I'm not happy with the musical directions groups are taking but like you said, it's probably not going back.

Songs that I do like don't chart well which means companies are probably not likely to go with that sound again but some groups never chart well no matter the song which means they're left with the decision of either sticking with the groups identity or keep trying different concept each comeback until something hits.

You have a point. Everyone tries to adapt to the market which often makes them take safer routes.

I don't think much has changed over the last few years except the charts people use to measure success. It'd be more bearable if groups were actually putting out good music this year. Just miss after miss after miss

There wasn't anything outstanding but I really enjoyed almost all releases this year. I do think it's a weaker year compared to 2022 and 2023 so far, though.

I welcome variability and think It's important even If sometimes a thing wouldn't be my cup of tea.

This generation Stray Kids, ITZY and NewJeans couldn't be more different from each other and I'm grateful, because I stan each one of them for very distinct reasons.

It would be terrible If every group was similar. But sometimes I think It is what a portion of stans want, for K-pop to be completely homogeneous and lined up to their own taste.

I agree. Kpop is a lot more fun this way.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Hm, mostly speaking from my own perspective but I feel like i have graduated from Kpop fan phase and the newer gen idols are not for me - it feels like seeing young freshman joining while youre on your last week of college. Youre happy and excited for them but ready to say good luck and bye too.

As a kid I watched 2nd gen idols and thought oh cool guys/girls with such fun music but had no clue about idol culture but in 3rd gen i found mostly same aged relatable idols who had similar quirks/interests/fashion/habits as me and i think that made me fangirl and consume kpop idol content a lot more; i dont have that with 4th gen so i only enjoy the music part and plan on keeping that way. No more fandom following/buying or watching idol content for me, if i find the music fun (regardless of its charting) its making to my playlist and that's about it.

For me, I think kpop didnt change but I sure did.

Yeah but I think that 5th gen fight with ILLIT and BM barbie meme was hilarious xD

Wow the part about finding 3rd gen idols more relatable for sharing the same age and etc. I agree so much. Although I like this gen more because I just love how many great ggs we have. But it's true that my obsessive fan behavior kind of died. I will defend and hype my faves but it's not similar to how I used to be when everything was new to me and I thought my faves were the best thing ever lol

And yeah lol that bm vs Illit interaction made history. I mentioned it in my other reply.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I think the K-Pop experience is what we make it as individuals. Quite frankly, toxic fandoms and bad actors from said fandoms have been present even as far back as first generation K-Pop. If the stories I've heard are to be believed, First Gen fans even used to meet on the streets and actually throw hands at each other.

But in present day, you have the ability to control how you engage in this hobby.

For example, I know how toxic and generally divisive stan twitter is, so I don't use it at all. Ever. I'm not going to let a legion of idiots constrained to short form text ruin my enjoyment.

I'm old school and do like forums though, so people get to put up with me here. But if even forums were too toxic, I could just stay on the Mamamoo or NewJeans discord servers.

And if even THAT annoys me, I have a circle of K-Pop loving friends I can hang out with, both online and in person.

In short, there are so many different channels to engage in now, but we can control the filters and insulate ourselves. Two of my closest friends are huge Blinks and Onces, and they have no idea about any fandom battles. Meanwhile I know entirely too much about them.

That's my personal perspective of K-Pop fandom today.

• I miss it when idols went on variety shows and interacted with each other. I know some groups didn't have a great experience with them but they were often really fun.

Last time 2pm went on knowing bros (it was after serving in the military), they were absolutely hilarious. No one in 4th gen comes close in terms in comedy. I know it's not important anymore but it made kpop feel less serious.

• I miss it when idols went on variety shows and interacted with each other. I know some groups didn't have a great experience with them but they were often really fun.

Last time 2pm went on knowing bros (it was after serving in the military), they were absolutely hilarious. No one in 4th gen comes close in terms in comedy. I know it's not important anymore but it made kpop feel less serious.

Have you watched LE SSERAFIM variety content? It's so good that it made me a fan of the group well before their music did.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!