Do you think the kpop bubble is gonna burst? and how?

• I just started watching A2K and it got me thinking about just how many survivals shows we had recently. JYP had Y2K, YG had the babymonster thing, R U next, now dream academy. Plus all the new groups the companies are planning on debuting even though they can't manage the ones they have (*cough JYP *cough ). And so many of these groups just get left behind, CLASSY hasn't had a CB in 10 months, Everglow was left to gather dust for a year, Nmixx and Itzy are not doing well, lightsum is in a pretty bad state even though Gidle is doing well and they're from the same company.

Currently NJ, Lee Sserafim, IVE, Gidle and Aespa are the top 5 but the rest? There's just so much and I worry about Aespa with SMs management. It feels to me like companies are just rushing to capitalize on the market without plans to sustain these groups in the future. Every bubble has to burst, that is the rule I live by. The real-estate market burst, the stock market, and kpop is bound to burst too. Plus with all the money laundering these companies are doing I think its just a matter of time before it all comes crashing down.

What I think will start to happen is too many groups will debut leaving companies abandoning the previous ones, the market will become so oversaturated that the west will loose interest as well. Once the western money goes out it's over. Kpop just can't sustain itself the way Jpop does, that's why everyone and their mother is appealing to the west. I just feel bad for all the groups.

• lol folks have been predicting the doom of Kpop for over 20 years, even i vaguely remember my family friends complaining about Kpop back in the early 2000s saying it's a fad, blah blah blah.

As the West becomes more and more liberal and more and more accepting of Asian faces in pop music, it will only grow along with the rest of pop music. Only if there is a secular downtrend in pop music, like if billions of folks suddenly start listening to classical or jazz instead, will Kpop crater.

Kpop album sales have plateaued but havent gone anywhere near zero lol, and popularity has only increased. We've seen the most Hot 100 and Bubbling Under placements by Kpop groups in Kpop history over the past 2-3 years, plus routine charting in the Global Spotify charts.

People make fun of or pooh pooh Dream Academy, Vchai Latte, etc but we'll see more and more experiments with this and it's very possible that a multicultural Kpop group will emerge as superstars in the West. Like bigger than even BTS and BP in the West specifically. We'll also see openly queer idols, i'm talking mainstream Kpop stars at the same level of a Mina or Seulgi.

It's all coming down the pike, so batten them hatches and prepare for the fireworks lol.

• Kpop back in the early 2000s

Ah when I was *check notes* 2 years old.

make fun of or pooh pooh Dream Academy

Not making fun. I am just asking if kpop companies have the resources to fully manage all the groups they are debuting when we are seeing many companies already fail some groups.

so batten them hatches and prepare for the fireworks lol.

No hatches here so maybe drop the hysterics.

• idk..

pple who think something is "ending" either has fallen victim to a catastrophic mindset where they fear what they love will end soon ...in a ..cataclysmic way or w/e; OR are making sensational claims to get attention .. like those bible thumpers on street corners telling you to repent since the end is nigh.

it just doesnt seem healthy.

what's the use of trying to predict something you can't predict.. or even imagining the worst outcome? if the end is really nigh, you really cant do much to prevent it, might as well just enjoy what you have now.

this is WHY TWICE will have a concert in taiwan soon.

• That seems to be continuing, and I think it'll become even more popular since the younger folks in the West are much more open-minded and accepting about consuming Asian entertainment.

Thank you for accepting my apology. I mean I hope so, I want nothing more than for kpop to succeed I am just feeling hesitant and quite frankly I am more of a pessimistic person in general. So I tend to have a bleaker outlook. Like I hope I'm wrong.

• it might not burst but there's so many groups competing for a slice of the pie...

the bigger groups who have already established themselves will do fine (as always)

the rest of them are merely competing for crumbs

survival of the fittest!!!

• Idk anime “bubble” didn’t break. There are anime that are a hit and anime that flop. Once things become mainstream there maybe highs and lows but it’s never going to go away.

People now know kpop exists you can’t “unknow” it.

• Idk anime “bubble” didn’t break. There are anime that are a hit and anime that flop. Once things become mainstream there maybe highs and lows but it’s never going to go away.

People now know kpop exists you can’t “unknow” it.

good point.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!