Which generation had the more talented idols? 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen?

• I guess 2nd.

Because in 3rd gen was when the very viral accusation of Lack of skills came about. BTS, BP, Twice the biggest groups of 3rd gen were already considered weak vocally and set precedence of non vocal talent based kpop groups.

In kpop singing is often seen as the criteria for “talent” and by 3rd gen singing already took a back seat for the most part.

• I guess 2nd.

Because in 3rd gen was when the very viral accusation of Lack of skills came about. BTS, BP, Twice the biggest groups of 3rd gen were already considered weak vocally and set precedence of non vocal talent based kpop groups.

In kpop singing is often seen as the criteria for “talent” and by 3rd gen singing already took a back seat for the most part.

3rd Gen also has Mamamoo, Red Velvet and GFriend though. Not to mention EXO.

You're a traitor to your favs :meme-disappointed:

• The fact remains they’re not the most popular right. I can’t lie can I.

Yup and the not most popular groups are praised for their insane vocals. Nobody can hold a candle to exo especially Kyungsoo, Chen Suho . Third Gen was the end of singing talent being the absolute requirement only so many groups maintained that I AM A REAL SINGER title but those groups not number one proving that later trends in kpop fans shifted away from talent to just pretty faces and stats to track

• This is practically impossible to gauge at a glance. There are talented and not-so-talented people in every "generation" of Kpop. And truth be told, the Kpop industry never prioritized vocals for everyone. It's always been image first, which is to be expected. Opera this is not.

The fact remains they’re not the most popular right. I can’t lie can I.

You can and do. All the time.

• This is practically impossible to gauge at a glance. There are talented and not-so-talented people in every "generation" of Kpop. And truth be told, the Kpop industry never prioritized vocals for everyone. It's always been image first, which is to be expected. Opera this is not.

You can and do. All the time.

You must be new to the forum and confusing me for someone else!

• I vote for 2nd gen, but I did not vote in the poll.

~~ :red-heart: QUEEN SUNMI :red-heart: ~~

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I feel like as the generations go further and further, more people are becoming idols not because they have a passion for music or even a talent, but just because they want to be famous and taken care of (most idols usually have all their living expenses cared for by the company)

• Vote!

I already voted verbally.

~~ :red-heart: QUEEN SUNMI :red-heart: ~~

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 2nd gen had more talent and 3rd gen mostly mimicked 2nd gen.

No male idol has been able to sing better than Kyuhyun and Taeyeon hasn't been matched or surpassed at all. Wendy tries but her strengths are different from Taeyeon's just as Taeyeon's strengths are different from Wendy's. Each had what the other lacks in so you can't even compare them.

Chen, Baekhyun and DO are better than Suju KRY as a group but Kyuhyun is still miles ahead when compared to Exo's vocal line.

2nd gen were also better dancers, I'm yet to see an idol who dances like Eunhyuk from his debut to his prime. And there was (still is) Taemin even though Kai and Lay are beasts.

Don't get me started on Hyoyeon and Minzy. They were beasts.

2nd gen also had the most talented vocal and dance lines in Kpop.

Suju KRY and Eunhyuk and Donghae

EXO CHENBAEKDO and KaiLaySehunTao

SNSD TaeJessTiffSeo and HyoYoonYurSoo

And the entertainment from the 2nd variety shows is simply unmatched.

They are also great actors and actresses.

Yoona alone changed the Centre position and took it to anither level and Snsd as a group showed kpop idols how to model across Asia and beyond for decades so...

2nd gen wins by far.

External Content youtu.be

• 3rd Gen also has Mamamoo, Red Velvet and GFriend though. Not to mention EXO.

You're a traitor to your favs :meme-disappointed:

Yes, but 2nd gen has way more talented groups. In 3rd gen, there were multiple weak groups. I don't think there was any in 2nd gen.

3rd gen was strong only because of Mamamoo, Gfriend, OMG, EXID, Red Velvet, EXO, Btob, NCT, and maybe Seventeen, but with boy groups I'm not that familiar.

3rd gen had the strongest boy groups imo, but girl group were carried by Mamamoo, EXID and Red Velvet, basically.

• Taeyeon hasn't been matched or surpassed at all. Wendy tries but her strengths are different from Taeyeon's just as Taeyeon's strengths are different from Wendy's. Each had what the other lacks in so you can't even compare them.

The only Kpop singers who could be in the same league with Taeyeon is Mamamoo. Especially Wheein and Solar. My TOP5 was always like this:

1. Taeyeon

2. Wheein+Solar (same level, different style)

3. Hwasa

4. Wendy

5. Moonbyul

• No clue to be honest, but if feel maybe 2nd generation if we make some kind average. Feels like the 2nd generation maybe still was a bit more about the skills like singing and dancing and later is more about the Idol stuff and being famous. At the same time the competion should be a bit harder in the 3rd generation, but also have a lot of new groups with a bit lower qualities, so 2nd generation maybe wins.

• 2nd gen idols were definitely forced to sing live more so we get more live vocal material to analyze from 2nd gen but idk that 2nd gen were necessarily better singers across the board.

it's also hard to compare because 3rd gen put more of an emphasis on dancing talent at the expense of vocal talent, and comparing good singers versus good dancers is apples to oranges

personally i think most of the best vocalists in kpop debuted 2010-2015 so late 2nd, early 3rd gen?

🍒 Chee~eer~ish 🍒

giphy.gif

• There. I've corrected it for you.

Where Wendy shines the most, Taeyeon doesn't and Taeyeon consistently produces resonance while Wendy is inconsistent. Wendy also has a wider range and more octaves of upto 4. Taeyeon is at 3 at her best.

• There. I've corrected it for you.

Where Wendy shines the most, Taeyeon doesn't and Taeyeon consistently produces resonance while Wendy is inconsistent. Wendy also has a wider range and more octaves of upto 4. Taeyeon is at 3 at her best.

As much as I love Wendy, she doesn't have a wider range than Wheein, maybe she's better than Solar, maybe! I don't think there's a big gap between the 4 (6) of them, but I still think my TOP list was correct based on their current skills, and mostly, how they're using it. All 6 of them has a different style, so it's not easy to compare them.

Taeyeon has years of advantage, that's why it's not even a fair comparison, and that's why I didn't put Wendy next to her.

In my eyes, all 6 of them are the best, I didn't really want to rank them, because everyone on this list is better in something than the others. Mamamoo members has the same advantage as Taeyeon. All 4 of them working as soloists for years, unlike Wendy.

I don't want to write a whole essay about vocals in details, sadly https://kpopvocalanalysis.net is now a private site, thanks to Kpop "fans", but here are some copy and pasted analysis from them.

Side note: All these reviews were written years ago! Wheein, especially Solar, evolved so much since she was a lead actress in two Musical, and Wheein doesn't really use her wide range, but you can find videos when she does it.

Girls’ Generation’s Vocal Analysis: Taeyeon 

Girls' Generation's Vocal Analysis: Taeyeon [Newly Updated] | K-Pop Amino

Red Velvet’s Vocal Analysis: Wendy 

Red Velvet's Vocal Analysis: Wendy | K-Pop Amino

Mamamoo’s Vocal Analysis: Wheein 

Mamamoo's Vocal Analysis: Wheein | K-Pop Amino

Mamamoo’s Vocal Analysis: Solar 

Mamamoo's Vocal Analysis: Solar | K-Pop Amino

I forgot to add Hwasa! Sadly, they didn't write anything about Byul, because back in 2016 she didn't really sing that much.

Mamamoo’s Vocal Analysis: Hwasa

Mamamoo's Vocal Analysis: Hwasa | K-Pop Amino

Here's a pretty good channel, you can find other reviews from him!

• I voted for 3rd gen but you all have probably talked me into 2nd gen, it's wild how like seemingly every group had a vocalist who would be one of the best vocalists in all of 4th/5th gen. For boys, probably the best vocalist in 4th (who even is supposed to good among 4th gen boys?).

I do think 3rd gen were/are actually better dancers than 2nd, but the singing gap probably makes up for it.

• So Wheein has 3 octaves but she's better than Wendy who debuted with 4 and has improved so much? Wow!

Ok.

And the receipts you've shared show that only Wendy debuted with 4 octaves. In SM, all vocalists improve with every comeback. Wendy is way better than you think and Yes, Taeyeon has the experience and like I said, her resonance is what sets her so much part from everyone else because it proves that she's very strong except from Wendy who can do almost everything else that Taeyeon does vocally.

Edited once, last by sonemariam ().

• So Wheein has 3 octaves but she's better than Wendy who debuted with 4 and has improved so much? Wow!

Yes, Wheein improved a LOT since debut days! Maybe you don't follow Mamamoo and the members as soloists, but I do follow all 6 singers whom I mentioned. Like I said, Wheein, Solar and Taeyeon has YEARS of advantage, because they have a solo career too, unlike Wendy who only started hers not long ago.

Also, just because Wendy has 4 octaves and the others have 3 doesn't mean she's a better vocalist. One thing to reach a certain octave and doing it the right way. I've seen Wendy struggling many times with higher notes, while Wheein and Solar are not.

"Range doesn’t determine your sound, only which notes you can sing. Talent doesn’t necessarily correspond with size of range"

I don't think there's a reason to argue about this. All 6 of them are exceptional singers and as I said, there isn't a big gap between the 6 of them!

• Maybe this will open your eyes! The creator is a very objective Vocals analyst. Wendy is a beast Vocally.

Also, just because Wendy has 4 octaves and the others have 3 doesn't mean she's a better vocalist. One thing to reach a certain octave and doing it the right way. I've seen Wendy struggling many times with higher notes, while Wheein and Solar are not.

"Range doesn’t determine your sound, only which notes you can sing. Talent doesn’t necessarily correspond with size of range"

I don't think there's a reason to argue about this. All 6 of them are exceptional singers and as I said, there isn't a big gap between the 6 of them!

The highnotes Wendy can hit + her head voice, wheein doesn't come close in any way. And her lower register is also much better that wheeins. She can go much higher and lower than both Taeyeon and Wheein who are more agile than her and of course resonant for Taeyeon. And that's it.

• Maybe this will open your eyes! The creator is a very objective Vocals analyst. Wendy is a beast Vocally.

The highnotes Wendy can hit + her head voice, wheein doesn't come close in any way. And her lower register is also much better that wheeins. She can go much higher and lower than both Taeyeon and Wheein who are more agile than her and of course resonant for Taeyeon. And that's it.

I watched most of his videos.

Like I said, hitting high or low notes is just one thing, if you can't do it right it doesn't mean much. Overall, Wheein is better because she's more balanced. Wheein doesn't really like to sing high notes because it's not her style. But yes, Wendy is a beast, that's fore sure.

I'm not sure if you know this, but just like in this video, he said, Wheein became much better, but he didn't know she had a serious mental health problem for years! Now, she's on another level.

Wendy is more like Solar, btw, a power vocalist, while Wheein and Taeyeon are balanced.

Anyway, let's meet in the middle and say, all 6 of them are the best in the industry as female Kpop Idol singers.😅

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!