"IT girl" is literally a made up concept yall are still obsessing over

• The "IT girl" thing literally arose at the peak of OncexBlink fanwar around 2018 when Twice was clearly dominating Blackpink in Korea in all areas and blinks needed something to latch onto like global popularity and individual popularity. So it started the trend of "global group", "local group" and the famous "IT girl".

What is an it girl? Literally everything Jennie was, the term was coined so that it fits Jennie but not any Twice member. At first it was just "popularity", "going viral" but since Nayeon, Sana and Momo would frequently go viral a gatekeeping mechanism had to be invented. So the last element was added into the mix "having brand deals". Why? Because everyone was aware of the way JYP handles Twice and everyone knew Twice would never get solo deals.

Then people started giving the term to other non Twice idols that fit the description like Irene or Hwasa.

I was there the whole time watching this thing evolve. It was nothing but a term invented purely to elevate other groups over Twice in a way and now seeing 4th gen stans embrace it and apply to their faves gives me a weird feeling.

Like not all groups are operated in a same way, stop latching onto dumb terms :pepe-notes:

• Yeah, nah.

I saw people talking about "It" girls before then with Yoona and Suzy.

And, the term "it girl" in Western culture in general was popularized in the 1960s with Andy Warhol and his muses.

KPOP fans just adopted the phrase.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

i love this song

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

• I am pretty sire 'IT Girl" Predates the Pinks.

From Woke AI

Evolution of the Meaning:

• Focus on Looks:

• Initially, "IT girl" in Korea might have simply referred to a woman with exceptional beauty and style.
    • Broadening the Scope: Over time, the term has come to encompass more than just looks. It can now apply to women who are successful in their fields, influential on social media, or possess a unique and trendsetting personality.

• Emphasis on Trendsetting: A key aspect of the Korean IT girl is her ability to set trends, whether in fashion, beauty, or lifestyle.

• "IT girls" don't exist

• Nah, it was these

Prior there were terms, and still are, like "nation's little sister" "nation's first love" but never such thing as an "it girl". Blinks had to invent the latter cause Jennie didn't fit any of the former.

I am pretty sire 'IT Girl" Predates the Pinks.

From Woke AI

Nah, that is from wiki, literally everybody puts their faves into this list https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_girl

• Nah, it was these

Nah, that is from wiki, literally everybody puts their faves into this list https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_girl

Are you insinuating that Google AI us just copying shit straight from Wiki?

Because you are probably right.

• Please find me an article, even a forum post from before Jennie where the term "it girl" was used.

After a quick Google search.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That video is from 2017.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• After a quick Google search.

That video is from 2017.

That's before Jennie?

• You said it rose in "2018". Your words. Not mine. And I said, I had already seen people talking about it girls before then.

I gave an approximate date, take it as a small w, but still I'm curious if you can find anything from way before going back to 2nd gen. Taeyeon and Yoona were called all kinds of words but I don't remember IT girl being one of them.

• BTW this is why everyone said Jenny was the ultimate 'IT girl'

JENNIE from BLACKPINK is the ultimate it girl
    Jennie from Blackpink has been making waves ever since revealed by YG as a trainee in 2013 until now. Jennie as a traineeappeared on G Dragon’s …
    www.allkpop.com

• I gave an approximate date, take it as a small w, but still I'm curious if you can find anything from way before going back to 2nd gen. Taeyeon and Yoona were called all kinds of words but I don't remember IT girl being one of them.

Lmfao, this is so ironic. But here is an article from 2016 (literally the day BP debuted), that lists Yoona as an It Girl.

Meet the Modern It Girl
    The secret powers—and booming economy—of the 21st-century It Girl.
    www.townandcountrymag.com

• Anyone can be an it girl

Jason Derulo~~ oppa is the real kpop IT girl

• From 2014

External Content twitter.com

From 2015

From 2016

• I don't know why other people likes her, but I mostly only like her "visuals", other than that... meh.

As the article said (and the definition I posted before), It girl is more than just looks, it's about influence.

Jenny would go to a restaurant and post it on social media, then the restaurant would get packed afterwards because Koreans wanted to go eat where Jennie ate.

Same with Hwasa, she started posting about stuff she ate, then business for that type of food would go up.

That is an 'it girl'

• I also found a post on S00mpi's forum from 2014 that called her an "it" girl, but can't post it because it's blocked. :skull:

• Lmfao, this is so ironic. But here is an article from 2016 (literally the day BP debuted), that lists Yoona as an It Girl.

https://www.townandcountrymag.…evolution-of-the-it-girl/

Okay, another small w, an article mostly focused on western social media influencer from a non kpop writer and publication, just barely mentioning Yoona.

"And every city has its cast of It girls, from Tokyo, where they're called kikonashi, to South Korea, where women like K-pop star Im Yoona are courted by big luxury and beauty corporations hungry for their "influence."

Come on, if this is the best you can find this proves what I said. There were no IT girl discussions before Jennie, period. I've been on various kpop forums and communities for a decade now. It just wasn't a thing.

• Sure I kind of get the concept, even If I never would use that word or concept myself, but acctually more wondering why she is popular........

• External Content twitter.com

The IRONY

• Okay, another small w, an article mostly focused on western social media influencer from a non kpop writer and publication, just barely mentioning Yoona.

"And every city has its cast of It girls, from Tokyo, where they're called kikonashi, to South Korea, where women like K-pop star Im Yoona are courted by big luxury and beauty corporations hungry for their "influence."

Come on, if this is the best you can find this proves what I said. There were no IT girl discussions before Jennie, period. I've been on various kpop forums and communities for a decade now. It just wasn't a thing.

Lmfao, oh, wait till you read what I just posted. :skull:

• Dreamer, I know you want to act like if you joined Kpop in the 90s and you know everything but it's pretty obvious you came here during the mid 3rd gen looking at your posts (not talking just about this).

Literally everybody that was around during the 2nd gen know that term was used often before.

• Prior there were terms, and still are, like "nation's little sister" "nation's first love" but never such thing as an "it girl". Blinks had to invent the latter cause Jennie didn't fit any of the former.

I can agree with your FIRST comment. The whole "IT GIRL" crap has to go, because:

1st: it's meaningless.

2nd: It's only generating more fandom wars, because fans think there can be only one "It Girl".

But I have to disagree with your second comment. I'm no BLINK and never going to be, but they didn't invent anything.

The term "It Girl" was used WAY BEFORE their fave even existed.

The 1st ever "It Girl" was probably Lee Hyori, but she was like a "beta" version. The REAL first "It Girl" was YoonA from SNSD, and both of them are still having the title, especially YoonA.

Like I said, this whole title is stupid and meaningless, especially nowadays. Most (new) Kpop fans doesn't even know what it means. It has nothing to do with Kpop, btw, it was "invented" in the 20s. It basically means, a young woman who has sex appeal and a good personality. Nowadays, it's more about influence.

Some Kpop fans think, if an Idol is pretty, and they're part of a mainstream group they're "It Girls" automatically. No, they're not! The REAL "It Girls" are those who can influence EVERYONE, not just rich kids, and sell fashion brands. They can influence the average people, too. That's why people think Idols like Hwasa for example as an "It Girl", because she's still influencing everyone, but in her prime no one came close, especially in Korea. Not to mention YoonA who still have almost the same influencing power for more than 15 years, but we could mention solo artists like IU or BoA, too.

I won't go in details, because I could mention like 10 other Idols. This title is like the Streaming numbers, only some fans care about it.

BTW this is why everyone said Jenny was the ultimate 'IT girl'

https://www.allkpop.com/articl…k-is-the-ultimate-it-girl

If I see another stupid Brand reputation article from someone, I will slap that person. Using this crap for making an argument why someone is an "It Girl" is THE dumbest thing anyone can do.

Brand reputation is literally the same as trends on Twitter. Go red this!

K-Pop Daisuki - Why Brand Reputation Rankings are a FARSE

• Jenny would go to a restaurant and post it on social media, then the restaurant would get packed afterwards because Koreans wanted to go eat where Jennie ate.

Same with Hwasa, she started posting about stuff she ate, then business for that type of food would go up.

That is an 'it girl'

Actually, that's not true about Hwasa, she didn't post anything, just appeared on "I live Alone", people saw her eating at a small restaurant and everything she ate was sold out, and the restaurant became a GLOBAL franchise. 🤣 Not to mention how she changed the beauty standards and fashion trends in Korea.

• Actually, that's not true about Hwasa, she didn't post anything, just appeared on "I live Alone", people saw her eating at a small restaurant and everything she ate was sold out, and the restaurant became a GLOBAL franchise. 🤣 Not to mention how she changed the beauty standards and fashion trends in Korea.

'it girl' effect :whistling:

• This thread contains 44 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!