BlackPink is no longer a trendy group in South Korea

• Do you think BlackPink is still a trendy top girl group in Korea? 82

1. Yes (40) 49%
    2. No (42) 51%

Blinks, does that comment upset you? I'm not even trolling. I made this comment in the usual girl group flame threads, and Blinks descended on me like I had just made the most controversial, disrespectful take.

I never said they weren't still (for now) the most popular girl group in the world, but if we isolate it to Korea, it is a fact that their digitals and sales aren't competitive with the top 4th gen girl groups at all, and that's okay. We know how Korea treats girl groups once they've decided to commit to a younger generation.

Am I wrong? :pepe-shrug:

Their 2022 comeback was a highly anticipated full album, and while it performed well and topped the charts, not all chart toppers are created equal.

CIRCLE CHART - 써클차트
    New Circular Wave.
    circlechart.kr

It's almost 2024, and the biggest 4th gen songs on that list are still in the top 50 on Melon. Heck, Hype Boy is still in the top 20! Meanwhile Pink Venom fell off the top 100 months ago, and it never peaked even half as high in cumulative ULs or digital index points (which is an aggregate score that pulls data from all Korean charts not just Melon) as the top 4th gen songs.

Like, the most positive metric I could find for them is YouTube South Korea, and while they still have a strong showing on that chart, the gap between them and IVE, and the canyon between them and NJ, is significant.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I didn't think this was a hot take.

Let's run a poll.

• bp on the literally chart without multiple mvs or cmb

you: I'm suddenly blind

:scaredy-bee:

Yeah. I never said they were flops. I said their peak as a trendy group in Korea is in the past.

Jisoo did pretty well in Korea? So did Jennie even without proper comeback this year?

Yes. They can still do very well and that outcome wouldn't contradict the points I've raised. I didn't say they aren't popular any more.

Hwasa charted extremely well with her latest comeback. I'm not out here trying to use that to argue Mamamoo is still a trendy girl group

Says the moomoo :siptear:

I just want to help my fellow 3rd Gen fans to get past the denial phase of their grief :eyes:

• They never really were...

I still remember that street interview where they'd ask people about Blackpink and everyone was like "YG YG you can always trust YG music"

Lemme see if I can find that video to piss blinks off

Edit: found it

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• They never really were...

I still remember that street interview where they'd ask people about Blackpink and everyone was like "YG YG you can always trust YG music"

Lemme see if I can find that video to piss blinks off

They definitely were in 2018.

But I won't stop you if you want to choose violence like that :eyes:

• I love how you think a group with no release is supposed to break records. I guess IU is irrelevant since she’s below them…

Anyway the only fact is that they’re not trendy simple because they have been in the industry for 7 years. Trendy groups are rookies not a veterans.

You successfully activated my trap card :pepegrin:

When I say trendy, I can clarify.

My original statement was really that they cannot compete with the top 4th gen girl groups on the Korean charts and the numbers show that.

After Like came out after Pink Venom, has a much higher digital score by year end and is still in the Melon top 50, while Pink Venom fell off ages ago.

That's the difference between being a trendy girl group in Korea and not being the trend.

• not the most trendy but Blackpink is still trendy they are brand (which is actually better than being a trendy girl group since that only is temporary)

Jennie and Jisoo releases proved otherwise if they weren't trendy they would able to chart high on melon like they did Jisoo's flower went viral in Korea not only did well but went literally viral probably they only female solo artists thsi year and jennie's you and me that was only a song that was a gift for fans

flower was everywhere in korea variety shows and everyone singing to it

External Content twitter.com

. Heck, mind you miss Korea used the fashion designer that popularized a more modernized hanbook that they wore at coachella

also melon is not the only platform to gauge popularity in Korea and keep in mind blackpink as a group hasen't released any music in comparison to groups that had 2 or 3 comebacks this year literally no one can do it like blackpink a group that was formed in 2016

individually no one can touch them

• Everyone stops being a trend after first 2-3 years. It will be same for NJ and IVE.

If you are specifically talking about Korean digital performance(reading your response this looks like it), it’s hard to say since bp rarely have comebacks pink venom may not have done as well as NJ or IVE but their next cb could outperform these two who knows digitals are unpredictable for GG.

• We'll have to see if any current girl group members will still be able to chart on melon top5 and sell 1m+ records with barely any promotion after 7 years active. Until then, BP is unmatched and still a top trendy group.

A trend is all about what's happening in the moment. It's not a multi year projection of what results may be achieved at a later date.

Right now, it's factually incorrect to say BlackPink is unmatched in Korea.

The top 4th gen groups are dominating the domestic charts.

I'm sure you can see the difference between Pink Venom and Love Dive.

What you're describing is legacy. For example:

Peak Big Bang is bigger in Korea than any of these groups, and slay the charts at will, but I'd be high to call them a trendy group right now.

• What Nj Is doing right now is no different from what SNSD, Twice, 2NE1 etc did. You’d think they’re changing K-pop but they’re just another GG being successful nothing new in two years we will see if they’re still relevant. :teeheek:

I can think of several major differences, but I'll spare you the word vomit for now.

It's been a year and they're still shattering their own records so I guess we'll see!

Anticipate their performance this weekend on the BBMAs, where they are the most nominated K-Pop girl group ever :cheer-bunny:

• What Nj Is doing right now is no different from what SNSD, Twice, 2NE1 etc did. You’d think they’re changing K-pop but they’re just another GG being successful nothing new in two years we will see if they’re still relevant. :teeheek:

No because you’d swear nj were doing something special the way elder yama talks but all they are is the next youthful concept gg for Koreans to fawn over and drop after a few years :pepe-shrug:

• Just compare Baddie and last Jennie solo first few days. Baddie started at 20, Jennie at 11

Blackpink is a secured top top 10 debut on daily charts, top 5 I dare to say. Pink Venom debuted at 2, Shut Down at 4

External Content x.com

:pepe-shrug:

It was Jennie's first solo in years, so the early spike isn't surprising, but ultimately, it's not in the same weight class as Baddie.

Pink Venom/Shut Down also were easily outstripped by After Like and can't even hold a candle to Love Dive. So....

It's the 4th Generation's World in Korea now.

• it looks like yamachwan is loving stanning a successful group like newjeans for a change after picking mamamoo for 3rd gen. It must have been tough. Good for you op. Don't stop the bragging and the dragging who knows for how long it will last. I had a memorable time with blackpink hehe.

• But like that that’s the definitions of “trend” tho if anything this proves that BP is more trendy than IVE while IVE is relying on their good song and promo while BP can debut high on hype alone.

• Yeah. I never said they were flops. I said their peak as a trendy group in Korea is in the past.

jisoo and jennie charting better than certain ggs in their first week without promo, the same way pink venom and shut down did

what made those ggs then? those who deceide to cmb a friday and go screw up

miss lowest ul of the past 3 years

lets worry less about bp and directed that to those ggs, bc how u stumbling at your 2-3 year

bp never did that

• it looks like yamachwan is loving stanning a successful group like newjeans for a change after picking mamamoo for 3rd gen. It must have been tough. Good for you op. Don't stop the bragging and the dragging who knows for how long it will last. I had a memorable time with blackpink hehe.

Remember June 22, 2017? YamaChan does.

But I think I'm doing just fine stanning Mamamoo for almost a decade, seeing them perform live a dozen times and going to 4 stops on their U.S. tour just this past summer.

I have no insecurities about my ultimate group :pepe-smug:

• Remember June 22, 2017? YamaChan does.

But I think I'm doing just fine stanning Mamamoo for almost a decade, seeing them perform live a dozen times and going to 4 stops on their U.S. tour just this past summer.

I have no insecurities about my ultimate group :pepe-smug:

sorry i actually remember nothing about mamamoo. refresh my memory please.

• But like that that’s the definitions of “trend” tho if anything this proves that BP is more trendy than IVE while IVE is relying on their good song and promo while BP can debut high on hype alone.

Nah, I don't think so. There was initial interest because the group hadn't released music in a long time. Kind of like what happened with Red Velvet just this past week. Chill Kill boosted up and was charting higher than Drama initially, but Drama rose to the top 10 while Chill Kill settled at the bottom of the top 30.

The trendy groups are the ones who rise, stay at the top and break the charts--NJ, IVE, (G)I-DLE, LSF and aespa have all done that to varying degrees.

Kids/Teens are growing up with these groups, not our 3rd gen favs :pepe-shrug:

jisoo and jennie charting better than certain ggs in their first week without promo, the same way pink venom and shut down did

You sure you want to make this argument and activate another trap card for me? :pepe-devil:

• This thread contains 125 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!