is Red Velvet bigger than Twice in South Korea?

• who is bigger domestically, overall wise 78

1. Twice with bigger peak (50) 64%
    2. Red Velvet with greater longetivity (28) 36%

Twice have 9 consecutive #1 hits during their peak days and we can say that at some point they are the nation girl group but things went downhill after Fancy.

Red Velvet are one of hitmakers that are consistent producing hits after hits for 9 consecutive years. With their recent comeback, they still manage to hit #6 on Melon even when the promotion didnt start yet. The gp are aware and tuning to their music.

so, who is bigger in south korea,overall?

• Red Velvet was considered behind because of their lack of fandom but digitally they never really lagged behind Twice or Blackpink, maybe just lacked the flashy titles like most paks or whatever.

They've almost always had a hit at least once a year, they had a ton of them and no matter how many weird tracks they put out, they have an engaged audience that's always going to give it a listen so they debut high

Even now they're still the most followed girl group on melon with the 2nd most liked songs

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• Objectively, legacy and peak wise, no.

However... Red Velvet still have gp interest and manage to stay relevant in news, charts & such. I feel like their reputation is strong in SK and people respect their artistry so they have a better image.

Could be totally wrong though, as I never set foot in South Korea lol. Just saying from my limited observations.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Overall no 3rd gen girl group will surpass twice, people don't realize that maybe never a kpop group will break their 9 consecutive #1 hits record, bts at their absolute peak with both general public and massive fandom couldn't and the rest of 3rd girl groups are not even close:

Twice: 9

Blackpink: 3

RV and Gfriend: 2

Mamamoo, OMG and I.O.I: 1

That's the distribution of gaon #1 hits for 3rd gen girl groups and twice has almost 50% of them. Twice has not entered melon top 10 for 3 years, yet blackpink and red velvet are like 500M-700M behind and with melon decline and those groups slowing down they may never surpass them. Overall twice is #1 on korea, with blackpink and red velvet only competing because of longevity, but 2015-2020 twice is bigger in korea than both combined.

• Lmao this killed me.

9 consecutive number ones is not Twice’s record, Sistar have also done it over a more impressive time frame.

But you won’t see Sistar fans claiming no 2nd gen girl group surpassed them I assure you as most people aren’t that simplistic.

• Lmao this killed me.

9 consecutive number ones is not Twice’s record, Sistar have also done it over a more impressive time frame.

But you won’t see Sistar fans claiming no 2nd gen girl group surpassed them I assure you as most people aren’t that simplistic.

To be fair, Twice also dominated in sales for a while before BP dethroned them in 2020

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

Edited once, last by catzi ().

• Lmao this killed me.

they share the record, and no twice time frame is more impressive doing it in 2 and half years is way more impressive. Sistar did it on a time charts were weaker where streams and listeners were fewer, twice did it at the peak of korean charts were the balance of streams and downloads was the highest.

Plus you proved me right, because sistar has the 9 consecutive hits just like twice but with way less streams than girl groups that barely got 1 or 2 in the 3rd gen.

• Maybe. But Twice already abandoned Korea many years ago, because its a negative market.

i.e. the more time they spend there, the less they make.

• they share the record, and no twice time frame is more impressive doing it in 2 and half years is way more impressive. Sistar did it on a time charts were weaker where streams and listeners were fewer, twice did it at the peak of korean charts were the balance of streams and downloads was the highest.

Plus you proved me right, because sistar has the 9 consecutive hits just like twice but with way less streams than girl groups that barely got 1 or 2 in the 3rd gen.

How is doing it in a shorter timeframe more impressive when girl groups historically don’t have longevity but have high peaks? If we were currently in the early 3rd gen chart system Ive and New Jeans would probably have double the number ones already.

Also how were the charts weaker? Did Sistar have some huge fandom in SK that could pile on the downloads that I’m not aware of? Early 3rd gen had some of the easiest charts to play with.

You also mention that streams were weaker in Sistar’s era but then downplay their record because they have…less streams?

The logic is strong in this one :pepe-cross:

• How is doing it in a shorter timeframe more impressive when girl groups historically don’t have longevity but have high peaks? If we were currently in the early 3rd gen chart system Ive and New Jeans would probably have double the number ones already.

Also how were the charts weaker? Did Sistar have some huge fandom in SK that could pile on the downloads that I’m not aware of? Early 3rd gen had some of the easiest charts to play with.

Because making several comebacks a year and making all of them go #1 is more impressive than sistar annually summer hit more comebacks more chances to fail to go #1, is simple you don't need to do mental gymnastic for it friend.

charts were weaker on second gen my guy, the only thing 2nd gen has upper hand is the amount of downloads, but most songs during 2nd gen had poor longevity and way lower streams.

You also mention that streams were weaker in Sistar’s era but then downplay their record because they have…less streams?

Okay this one is a very dumb thing to point because is self explanatory... why are you even trying to argue with that lmfao.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

i know whos ALT this is now

• In the past, Twice was multitudes bigger than Red Velvet. Currently Twice is a non-factor as far as their music in Korea. I'm interpreting the question being asked to be about in the present. Red Velvet is bigger today as far as popularity consider they can still get hits and the general public still seems to care somewhat about them.

• Lmao this killed me.

Yes but 9 consecutive number 1 songs isn’t the only record in Korea twice has. They are also the best selling and most awards group both music show wise and award show wise. But also Sistar fans should claim they have one of the most popular groups in 2nd gen in Korea because that would be true. They rank definitely with SNSD, 2NE1, and Wonder Girls.

• In the past, Twice was multitudes bigger than Red Velvet. Currently Twice is a non-factor as far as their music in Korea. I'm interpreting the question being asked to be about in the present. Red Velvet is bigger today as far as popularity consider they can still get hits and the general public still seems to care somewhat about them.

I would say this isn’t true at all. Everyone who would know about RV knows about Twice. Just RV music is more catchy to what is popular in Korea as opposed to Twice currently.

• I love it when people who have never lived in Korea, probably haven’t met many Koreans, and only know about Korea from Kpop and Koreans talk about what the general population of Korea likes and doesn’t.

Let me say Twice hasn’t lost popularity so much as their music style is not really what’s popular now. Meaning they are still known by many and most people. But that doesn’t mean those people like their music. Whereas RV I think still puts out music that is in fowl with their past music and is popular. So is RV more popular than Twice, not really they just make music that is more liked currently.

But it’s still funny how anytime someone does well on the charts people use that opportunity to try and shit on twice and their popularity. Twice is doing fine and so are RV both are still well known and popular in Korea.

• ThisBecause making several comebacks a year and making all of them go #1 is more impressive than sistar annually summer hit more comebacks more chances to fail to go #1, is simple you don't need to do mental gymnastic for it friend.

charts were weaker on second gen my guy, the only thing 2nd gen has upper hand is the amount of downloads, but most songs during 2nd gen had poor longevity and way lower streams.

Okay this one is a very dumb thing to point because is self explanatory... why are you even trying to argue with that lmfao.

This guy doesn’t seem to remember how hard it was during their gen to keep a number 1 song as charts back then were fluctuating like a mother fuck. Streaming caused a lot more chaos on the charts back then than it does now

• I think twice lack of longevity in Korea is indeed something that works against them. your peaks are not memorable if you don’t sustain the longevity war in the end.

But twice is so far ahead of RV is every other metric how does it matter about Korea lol.

• #1 songs don't mean much when looking at the success of songs as a whole considering time of release is a major factor and how the song does after that can vary a lot. Considering how fast many of their #1s fell off the chart especially compared to other #1 songs. Several songs that only hit #2 or #3 end up being bigger than most #1s. Like Ooh Ahh ended up being a bigger hit than all but about two or three of Twice's #1s for example.

• This guy doesn’t seem to remember how hard it was during their gen to keep a number 1 song as charts back then were fluctuating like a mother fuck. Streaming caused a lot more chaos on the charts back then than it does now

Right, dude said 3rd gen some of the easier charting lmao, prime IU releasing music every month, digital monsters bol4, bigbang making 4 comebacks on 2015 and the remnants of 2nd gen.

• I would say this isn’t true at all. Everyone who would know about RV knows about Twice. Just RV music is more catchy to what is popular in Korea as opposed to Twice currently.

Catchiness only has to do with longevity. People don't know what the music sounds like before it's released. The initial figures such as chart debuts and ULs from the first few days are the number of people checking out the song without even knowing if it's catchy yet or not. If you are popular, people will check out your music at least once. Looking at the initial chart debuts and ULs, it's clear when you compare the two based on the numbers; Red Velvet still has some public interest, unlike Twice.

• #1 songs don't mean much when looking at the success of songs as a whole considering time of release is a major factor and how the song does after that can vary a lot. Considering how fast many of their #1s fell off the chart especially compared to other #1 songs. Several songs that only hit #2 or #3 end up being bigger than most #1s. Like Ooh Ahh ended up being a bigger hit than all but about two or three of Twice's #1s for example.

You are right and not at the same time because a #1 song specially on gaon is a undeniably proof of success and not easy to achieve the lack of #1 of the big majority of kpop groups is a proof of that, now if compared directly with another song which is bigger is a completely different topic with lot of variables to consider. You are exaggerating LOA success, of the top 10 biggest twice hits is like 8th or 9th, 7th at very most.

• You are right and not at the same time because a #1 song specially on gaon is a undeniably proof of success and not easy to achieve the lack of #1 of the big majority of kpop groups is a proof of that, now if compared directly with another song is a completely different topic. You are exaggerating LOA success, of the top 10 biggest twice hits is like 8th or 9th, 7th at very most.

Several songs hit #1s and then perform very poorly. For example, Signal hit #1 for multiple weeks, yet fell off all charts entirely after only 5 months. Most number ones charted around 10 months on average at that point in time. The song still hasn't even hit 100M streams or 2.5Ml downloads despite being released in the peak era for that, unlike many songs that never even reached #1 at that time.

Not all #1 songs are successful, and timing is hugely important. For example, Forever Young ended up with more Gaon points than two of the last three of Twice's #1's in the Gaon Digital points era, but it never hit #1 due to timing. AIIYL ended up being the only song along with Spring day from the third generation to chart on Gaon EVERY year since release in 2017, and it too didn't hit #1 due to the timing of release. #1 songs are usually successful, but an actual #1 doesn't mean much considering songs that don't hit that peak can end up much more successful and songs that hit #1 can end up underperforming once the hype wears off.

Getting a #1 vs a #2 has a lot to do with luck of timing.

• Several songs hit #1s and then perform very poorly. For example, Signal hit #1 for multiple weeks, yet fell off all charts entirely after only 5 months. Most number ones charted around 10 months on average at that point in time. The song still hasn't even hit 100M streams or 2.5Ml downloads despite being released in the peak era for that, unlike many songs that never even reached #1 at that time.

Not all #1 songs are successful, and timing is hugely important. For example, Forever Young ended up with more Gaon points than two of the last three of Twice's #1's in the Gaon Digital points era, but it never hit #1 due to timing. AIIYL ended up being the only song along with Spring day from the third generation to chart on Gaon EVERY year since release in 2017, and it too didn't hit #1 due to the timing of release. #1 songs are usually successful, but an actual #1 doesn't mean much considering songs that don't hit that peak can end up much more successful and songs that hit #1 can end up underperforming once the hype wears off.

don't waste your time you are arguing with someone that think bp is disbanding because they don't have a strong bond

• Several songs hit #1s and then perform very poorly. For example, Signal hit #1 for multiple weeks, yet fell off all charts entirely after only 5 months. Most number ones charted around 10 months on average at that point in time. The song still hasn't even hit 100M streams or 2.5Ml downloads despite being released in the peak era for that, unlike many songs that never even reached #1 at that time.

Signal is still a hit despite being the less successful twice hit from their peak era, you are explaining just a bunch of things I also think and never even remotely contradicted with my comments. Plus mention a single #1 song from 2014-2020 that was not successful, you really made no sense there.

don't waste your time you are arguing with someone that think bp is disbanding because they don't have a strong bond

You are a delusional blink that swear blackpink have a strong family bond despise everything contradicting that.

• Signal is still a hit despite being the less successful twice hit from their peak era, you are explaining just a bunch of things I also think and never even remotely contradicted with my comments. Plus mention a single #1 song from 2014-2020 that was not successful, you really made no sense there.

You are a delusional blink that swear blackpink have a strong family bond despise everything contradicting that.

If you didn't understand the point and it went that far over your head, it's okay.
    #1's are highly tied to timing and really aren't important considering songs from that era that don't hit #1 often end up much more successful.

• Well twice had a bigger peak but they had a terrible longevity in korea their songs did well for 3 years and for the past years they have been doing terribly in korea

It's not a question of releasing songs who doesn't fit the korean taste anymore

Because they tried the cute concept with "talk talk talk" and "scientist" and it flopped while stayC is getting top 10 after top 10 with cute songs

They tried the more mature concept with "set me free" and once again it did terribly in the chart when multiple gg with different sound are doing more mature concept and are charting perfectly fine like gidle, aespa, lsrf, red velvet

Twice is just a group who never succeed in re-inventing themselves, the visual of their mv doesn't look as neet as their peers, their concept are very "outdated" visually

So it doesn't make people want to keep interest in their music and continue to listen to it and be interested in their comebacks

Red velvet in contrary is a gg who understood the assignement, they have been able to try numerous type of songs without getting abandon by the gp in korea

And aesthetic wise they always push the "boundaries" to come up with new concept and visual that's why koreans always keep an eye

Because they know that songs like psycho, chill kill are songs that only red velvet can do that's why they keep coming back to them

Also a lot of my friends who spend last year in korea told me that a lot of koreans keep an eye on red velvet because they are know to be very talented and are seen by a lot as one of the group "you can trust when they release a song"

That's why they are able to keep such a longevity and still be as relevant than newer groups in korea when they are reaching their 10th anniversary already

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

• I think twice lack of longevity in Korea is indeed something that works against them. your peaks are not memorable if you don’t sustain the longevity war in the end.

But twice is so far ahead of RV is every other metric how does it matter about Korea lol.

The fact twice lost their digital power in Korea years ago but we all know they were huge and people make thread like this. Means their peak was actually memorable.

There are some 4th gen GG with a better longevity than twice and they still haven’t the same impact that twice had.

• The fact twice lost their digital power in Korea years ago but we all know they were huge and people make thread like this. Means their peak was actually memorable.

There are some 4th gen GG with a better longevity than twice and they still haven’t the same impact that twice had.

No actually it proves my point no one will ask are rv and twice on same level back in 2016-18 lol. These threads prove how no matter how decisively big you are if you don’t have longevity people will start questioning you and grouping you with groups who were never on your level.

• If the question was 'right now', then it was something to discuss. But if you include all the past years, then it's obviously TWICE: they had a bigger peak and more achievements.

If we're talking 'right now', then it's still a point of discussion: RV seems to chart better, but charting varies depending on song quality, and charting is just 1 of the metrics. Latest Gallup polling shows that TWICE are still more popular than RV.

But in all honesty, if the question is 'what gg is the biggest in SK right now' then BP are actually the only 3rd gen gg left standing, as the #1 most popular gg in SK.

After BP, it's the 4th gen girl groups that dominate SK right now, in multiple metrics.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Because making several comebacks a year and making all of them go #1 is more impressive than sistar annually summer hit more comebacks more chances to fail to go #1, is simple you don't need to do mental gymnastic for it friend.

Let me ask you this question as you don’t seem very smart. Is it easier to hit number one when you’re at your peak with hype or not?

But of course they have lower streams, they consumed music differently and therefore streams won’t be reflective of said popularity so it’s not the downplay you think it is . Are you reading what you’re writing :pepe-cross:

2nd gen had low longevity because of cheap downloads. Streaming aids longevity.

• Because making several comebacks a year and making all of them go #1 is more impressive than sistar annually summer hit more comebacks more chances to fail to go #1, is simple you don't need to do mental gymnastic for it friend.

2nd gen time mostly dont have streaming service, what are you talking about? The music sites back then worked like itunes, you pay to download a song and then stream on your device/account.

This. #1s are relative, ULs and points are absolute measure.

If i recall, recently Playing With Fire hit 6m ULs on Melon too and it never hit #1 too.

• This thread contains 83 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!