Will ITZY ever reach 'it group' tier?

• Video: Even Park Jin Young seems to have given up on ITZY despite previous fame

Source: Issue Feed via YouTube

[+217] Honestly, ITZY would've been able to maintain their popularity if JYP gave them more support during their 'Sneakers' and 'Cheshire' promos

[+170] ITZY's problem is that they have so little promos but their members also don't have any individual activities. JYP keeps denting their image by choosing weird concepts for their image with every album, while simultaneously lacking the support that an experimental image like that needs from their agency. They were really fresh when they first debuted with their girl crush concept (girl crush concepts were peak at the time) + the members were talented enough to support anything the group needed to really shoot to fame... but as always, their biggest issue is that JYP has never had a girl crush group (especially with a hip hop base). Black Pink bursted open the doors for girl crush groups when ITZY debuted so it was a bit of a messy time where all sorts of groups were attempting the concept. Fans loved ITZY's concept but it never seemed like JYP knew what to do next. Instead of differentiating the group from the others, they kept choosing weird album after weird album, zero individual promos... and they've reached a point where people are more familiar with ITZY as that "neither here nor there" group than any one real concept. Again, this isn't the fault of the members... It's basically JYP's fault. I think ITZY debuted at a time when JYP was too ill prepared to really know what to do with a 'hip hop' type group that they had never managed before.

[+110] I think JYP has changed their management style after what happened with Suzy. They seem to really hate having one member dominate all the popularity within a group. If you see how they've been handling Twice, ITZY, Stray Kids, and NMIXX, they totally restrict individual promos with brief TV appearances only during comebacks (and only as a whole group). The members barely get any individual screen time (maybe Twice, but they're up there in years now). They only pick shows like 'Knowing Bros' where the entire group can be invited, which naturally makes CF deals and other promo avenues avoid JYP in general. Come on, look at Yuna. Do you really think she would not have gotten a ton of CF deals after that 'U Go Girl' performance? I bet she got a ton of invites from everywhere!!

[+98] I'm a fan of another group but ITZY's combined talents would probably make them the one top out of all girl groups. Every single member is monster-level talented.

[+59] I wish JYP wouldn't be so hard on them. Please treat them more kindly.

[+53] I thought 'Dalla Dalla' was an average song with an amazing choreography, whereas 'Wannabe' was well-rounded in both song quality and dance. The rest of their songs have been pretty bad. 'Mafia' was bad, decent dance. After a while, I just stopped caring to check up on them, especially when there have been a ton of girl groups like New Jeans, IVE, Le Sserafim, Aespa, and NMIXX, though NMXIX isn't tier one yet. NMXIX got a ton of hate for having a bad debut song, and I think they lack the quality to become a public hit despite being from a large agency. The first four groups are just so big that the rest are easily forgotten. There's really no reason to care about groups like ITZY. Now that they're already five years in, there's not much time left before their contracts expire anyway.

[+43] Yuna could be world class huge without JYP

[+38] I honestly don't see NMIXX ever making it out anymore, which is such a waste of how talented the members are... They weren't meant to be buried away like this.

[+36] When I heard yuna sing Black Pink's song, I realized what a pretty voice she actually has. I never felt that within ITZY's own songs, but 'Pretty Savage' is perfect for her ㅠㅠㅠㅠ If Yuna had gone to YG, I think she would've already been a successful solo by now. Anyway, hoping for an ITZY comeback with the perfect song 🥹

[+34] If JYP gave just a bit more push during 'Sneakers,' they could've carried that buff to maintain their popularity into their next promos with or without Park Jin Young... It's a shame, all they needed was a bit more attention from JYP...

[+32] ITZY's debut was really hot, but they never reached 'it group' status because of JYP. I think JYP overall lacks hit composers. It doesn't matter how beautiful or talented their group is if they don't have a composer to give them hit songs. Park Jin Young single-handedly launched stars like Rain, god, Wonder Girls, 2PM, miss A, and Twice hit daebak off of Black Eyed Pilseung's songs... but ever since BEP left, none of JYP's groups have ever hit #1 on the digital charts. Meanwhile, New Jeans is soaring high with 250..

[+30] Let's be honest with ourselves. ITZY is basically miss A without Suzy. Amazing performances but no real main vocal, no visual, no niche character. They basically threw half the market in the trash by debuting like that. Their members are more for the female gaze, which makes it difficult for a group like that to gain public popularity when you discard the attention that comes from male community sites. Their girl crush concept was also so strong in the beginning that their concepts all started blending in one after the other. By the time they got around to trying new concepts, the public stopped caring. ITZY's failure was written in the stars from the beginning. They had a good debut song, but that's about it. Not even the gods can save ITZY at this point.

[+28] ITZY's problems: #1 they don't have a main vocal. JYP's biggest problem with their groups is that they never pick vocals that the public can easily recognize as "that's the vocal"... I guess their best example would be Sunye. #2 no clue who the visual member is. Yuna's pretty, Lia's cute, but none of them have that Yoona/Suzy/Jisoo type of visual that the public would agree with. #3 too many dance members. Aside from Lia, ITZY's probably the top out of all girl groups in dance talent alone, but most girl groups only need one main dancer to stand out. For all of them to be good makes the group feel like a dance team more than an idol group. #4 they debuted at an awkward time where they wouldn't fit in with Twice in the third generation and not erally with NMIXX in the fourth generation. They're the only ones in the 3.5 generation and are all alone. I don't know if NMIXX debuted because of ITZY's lack of success or if JYP stopped caring about ITZY because of NMIXX's debut, but one thing's for sure, it's that JYP failed both groups by failing to split their management more evenly between them.

[+23] This always happens with JYP groups... Their debuts do really well until the group drops to a decline and disappears...

[+10] JYP is no longer investing in domestic activities because of how fierce the competition is. They haven't invested in domestic promos for not only ITZY but Twice, NMIXX, and Stray Kids. They haven't held any Korean tours at all, only international tours where the money is. It's what works for them, and it's what's kept JYP in the Big 4 all this time.

[+7] I remember thinking Yeji was such a refreshing visual with great dancing skills when she first came out with 'Dalla Dalla'... It's crazy that JYP couldn't do more with such a talented group.

• This is a case of now the group at fault but their management just being ass for multiple reasons, the main ones are choosing just whatever music and the second one not getting the members individual works

Why isn't yuna in variety and all over magazines, why isn't one trying acting or mcs in music shows. He is wasting good members with disjointed music and bad individual promo

• Itzy is a middle aged Kpop group now halfway through its 5th year. It's not too late to recapture public interest, they have the tools to do it. They just need a lucky break. The problem is 4th gen is peaking now, the same way 3rd gen was peaking from 2016-2020. NJ, Ive, LSRFM, Aespa, Idle, Stayc pretty much gobbling all the headlines, and newer groups out there nipping at their heels, Itzy is getting it from both fronts. And with the fake Minju group from Hybe, Baemon, Teddy's group, and a rumored SM GG coming by next year, thinks are going to get even harder.

• Itzy is a middle aged Kpop group now halfway through its 5th year. It's not too late to recapture public interest, they have the tools to do it. They just need a lucky break. The problem is 4th gen is peaking now, the same way 3rd gen was peaking from 2016-2020. NJ, Ive, LSRFM, Aespa, Idle, Stayc pretty much gobbling all the headlines, and newer groups out there nipping at their heels, Itzy is getting it from both fronts. And with the fake Minju group from Hybe, Baemon, Teddy's group, and a rumored SM GG coming by next year, thinks are going to get even harder.

btw I doubt this groups will do anything, there is barely noise for the show that is airing as of now in kforums, when baemon announced their sep debut there was no post there talking about it

My idea it's Ive, nj, lsfrm etc are just too cemented and the attention doesn't spread anymore, like I legit check naver and ksites and there is barely news about it

Like kfans talking more about mini braids than hybe new gg show like...

• I always love those comments about vocals and the supposed lack of popularity. No because if we really want to talk about vocals kpop fans better shut up all the popular groups today are not even average in terms of vocals.

3/4 of kpop fans think that screaming into a microphone with a high pitch voice is to be an exceptional singer, rapping quickly makes you an exceptional rapper, and being an exceptional dancer and performer is when there are lots of special effects on stage and 300 dancers dancing with the idols.

But it's supposedly important criteria not like they spends their time drooling over the visuals of their idols. And when there is an idol with a physique that goes beyond the standards, he/she gets harassed.

They're the only ones in the 3.5 generation and are all alone. I don't know if NMIXX debuted because of ITZY's lack of success or if JYP stopped caring about ITZY because of NMIXX's debut, but one thing's for sure, it's that JYP failed both groups by failing to split their management more evenly between them.

if knetz consider them 3.5 gen and they debuted in 2019 why do people include groups that debuted in 2018 as 4th gen?

in the whole 4th discourse it's always aesps, lsfm, nj, Ive and mmixx and itzy used to be included but not anymore I'm starting to notice

• This is a case of now the group at fault but their management just being ass for multiple reasons, the main ones are choosing just whatever music and the second one not getting the members individual works

Why isn't yuna in variety and all over magazines, why isn't one trying acting or mcs in music shows. He is wasting good members with disjointed music and bad individual promo

They should have pushed Yuna earlier. It's kinda too late now but I still think she could have rivaled other popular girls if she were promoted early on. Though it seems like they don't really want to push her (dunno why though, is she rebellious or something?). I've noticed they keep on pushing Ryujin and Yeji when they should also promote Yuna.

• They should have pushed Yuna earlier. It's kinda too late now but I still think she could have rivaled other popular girls if she were promoted early on. Though it seems like they don't really want to push her (dunno why though, is she rebellious or something?). I've noticed they keep on pushing Ryujin and Yeji when they should also promote Yuna.

she is trendy often and she is young so I feel she still has time

they def arent trying, she could have been mc in mucore isntead of sullyoon, she is cute but she seem so boring imo, and nmixx isnt going anywhere

yuna is both gorgeous and charismatic, like minju used to trend a lot as mc with jungwoo and leeknow but now the 3 mc dont even trend that much

• No, they are boring and stale to many K-pop fans.

Itzy carried the torch briefly. Than Aespa. Now IVE and NJ. Next is BABYMONSTER.

This is the K-pop life - you are like the dew on the morning grass that is fine by the afternoon.

There are mom and dads already telling their children about how great Itzy was back in the day….

• I don’t think it’s about being overshadowed. Each group needs a niche they can do well in to stay relevant. Itzy in an optimal world, is le sserafim. Dance-heavy confident group, but Itzy tried to saddle between cute & confident instead of going full confident. Before le sserafim they were praised for their choreography.

Maybe that’s JYP just thinking the company brand/kpop groups have to be “cute” to be successful.

But yeah, Especially with Ryujin having such a nice aura pre-debut, they have a bit of wasted potential. Don’t get me wrong, they’ve had a decent career compared to most GGs, but could have been more.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!