so SM can auto-extend a contract if the artist doesn't release a certain amount of albums

• "As such, the article stating that the contract period will be automatically extended until [the artists fulfill the condition] to release a certain number of albums, without even maximum limit, is clearly a slave contract. The legal representative is pointing out that this falls under “the act of implementing the transactions by unduly taking advantage of his/her position,” and the artists are also in agreement."

source

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

ExoLTaglist

• sorry but this sucks

even in football/soccer you have that possibility for a club to use '1 year more' clause in contracts and clubs rarely use it because player, and agent must agree to those terms on their own, and it's obvious that only small % of them will do it

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There's a reason groups get starved for comebacks and promotions. SM should be dissolved and the industry under heavier scrutiny because this is a textbook slave contract which is illegal af here 🤡 . The agency is in control of every idols ability to perform. They can deny lovecalls for offers like example you could be a desired person for a actor in a drama or movie regardless if the production is a Hollywood film or not the agency can deny it without even you knowing you had such an offer and we aren't even talking about the bs they can do when it comes to promotions and music and album production. So yes essentially this is a complete trap. It's fucked for you psyche too as they can gaslight you like oh you didn't do so well lets extend the contract you'll do better next time you got this fighting 😊. While they are legitimately the reason you aren't doing well by having stupid concert prices or super short promotion periods lack of album productions no bookings on music shows etc🤡🤡🤡 man fuck these people. I couldn't be a idol I would have walked into work and shot up the place from all that shit they literally must drive these idols crazy especially after the idols eyes is opened to the blatant betrayal

• That Crime Scene episode where Xiumin plays an older trainee stuck in a slave contract is kinda funny now, Xiumin was probably thinking "Dude, this is way better then what I have right now, this is suppose to be a motive for murder?"

• and the members will never escape that if sm can control how many albums they release therefor being forced to keep renewing.

Maybe thats why SM had such a high rate of senior idols in the company renewing. They cant leave

and thats why they said the contracts can be from 7 to 17 years which is CRAZYYY

• SM is so greedy

It's fine if they are greedy, it's capitalism anyway. But make your artists happy, give them money they earned and give them artistic freedom. let them do music in their own pace. If you give them good condition they'll stay and earn you a lot of money.

But all sm knows is to make their artists miserable

• Wow, this clause makes the renewal unilateral. Artist contracts depend on the number of albums release---- SM decides how many albums artists release---- SM can just delay comebacks and just keep the artists in the dungeon and the contracts will automatically renew itself... What about the veteran artists of SM who never released anything after a long time

• It doesn't make sense at all when the artists are not even in control of when or how many albums they release plus SM delaying comebacks purposely, how is such a ridiculous clause allowed in a contract.

• and the members will never escape that if sm can control how many albums they release therefor being forced to keep renewing.

Maybe thats why SM had such a high rate of senior idols in the company renewing. They cant leave

Now I feel bad for BoA. If she's on a leash then it's so sad.

I'm glad the GG girls left and are safe now. How did they escape the slave contracts?

External Content youtu.be

• for BoA, she is a director at SM. i don't think things are bad for her. she may leave for other reasons tho (being loyal to LSM and old SM).

as for snsd, SM kept the popular ones so...

Tiffany, Seohyun and Sooyoung we're all more popular than hyoyeon yuri and sunny but may be the slave contracts were for only Taeyeon and Yoona. Then it'd make sense.

For BoA, I hope she's not forced to be a director just because SM allows her to but she still can't leave.

This CBX thing has messed me up today. It's so messed up.

• it's not that unusual I think

lots of bands released some kind of throwaway live album just to fulfill their contractual obligations before moving to another company

true but the problem here is kpop agencies have total control over the idol thus a massive conflict of interest. A band isn't restrained that much. So if their contract states to meet x quota they can realistically do so. Where's kpop all of that is rigged because the company not only sets the quota but is also in charge of you meeting your quota. It's like the police giving you a speeding ticket, but they are literally in the car with you with their foot on the gas and you handcuffed to the driver's seat when they are in charge of the rule and forcing you to break it. You see why this is a big deal for kpop

• Now I feel bad for BoA. If she's on a leash then it's so sad.

I'm glad the GG girls left and are safe now. How did they escape the slave contracts?

Tiffany, Seohyun and Sooyoung we're all more popular than hyoyeon yuri and sunny but may be the slave contracts were for only Taeyeon and Yoona. Then it'd make sense.

For BoA, I hope she's not forced to be a director just because SM allows her to but she still can't leave.

Depending on how they calculate what's an album, SNSD released between 10-20 albums in their first 10 years. It's not unlikely that the contract obligations for female artists are more lenient and they just fulfilled theirs

Taeyeon releases frequently so there's a good chance she chooses to renew

Yoona and Yuri probably have different contracts as actresses

Hyoyeon is under a different sublabel and it's not like she'd do well leaving

Sunny nepotism

Tiffany and Sooyoung were both a package deal and not really worth messing with because of Sooyoungs family. Plus not really worth keeping in 2017

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

Not fully, Traxx left them, fx left them. Also some other people had left SM as like Tao, Luhan and Kris from EXO, and the soloist Penomeco also had left SM. And not forget that only 1 of the member of H.O.T is still signed under SM, S.E.S may had a comeback but they are totaly dead since then so I guess they are also gone, than there is Jessica who had left SM,... and so on and on. Also didn't Shinhwa debuted with SM and than quickly had left?

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Ah, that is a pretty fucked deal.

Especially when you consider most idols are already in 360 deals or some equivalent

Having the deal clause be that the company can choose the ending conditions is fucked. Usually it's an either or case. Either a deal is for a certain period of time or a certain number of albums. Sometimes it's an either or case A period of time or completing a number of albums, whichever comes first.

The album limit has always been sketchy because record label are quite incentivized to classify music incorrectly to extend contracts.

Here it seems to be the worst of both worlds. Extending contract dates off of arbitrary album definitions in a deal where the company is majorly in control of production.

• Not fully, Traxx left them, fx left them. Also some other people had left SM as like Tao, Luhan and Kris from EXO, and the soloist Penomeco also had left SM. And not forget that only 1 of the member of H.O.T is still signed under SM, S.E.S may had a comeback but they are totaly dead since then so I guess they are also gone, than there is Jessica who had left SM,... and so on and on. Also didn't Shinhwa debuted with SM and than quickly had left?

Traxx also had issues with their contracts as No Minwoo sued complaining of the exact same issues that CBX is complaining about: SM's having a unilateral ability to extend his contract to where he ended up signed for 17 years and blocked his activities as soon as he resisted.

EXO-M still had their contracts with SM validated for the full length and didn't technically leave until last year.

Shinhwa debuted back when SM had very short contract terms and has been in several legal battles with them

It simply depends on whether SM thinks you're worthy to keep or not

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• Tiffany, Seohyun and Sooyoung we're all more popular than hyoyeon yuri and sunny but may be the slave contracts were for only Taeyeon and Yoona. Then it'd make sense.

hyoyeon, yuri and sunny may not have wanted to leave back then.

let's just hope that CBX will be fine and win the lawsuit.

My theory is that 3 groups got lucky, SNSD, SHINee and FX.

I remember clearly that after SM lost to JYJ in 2009 they had to modify these 3 groups contract. SHINee initial contract was 10 years but was cut to 7 in 2009.

It seems that by 2012, SM went back to their old ways bc no one was watching them anymore. So Exo, RV, NCT and Aespa are on the old DBSK style contract.

• After they win i gurantee the floor gate will open the rest of exo will leave and then all of NCT then SHINee.

SHINee had their own independent family meeting with lawyers in February. Whatever decision they made, it's already a done deal.

• Album limit contract is very common in the western side but in kpop it doesn't work.

You have it applied to groups with members pursuing different things. Plus boygroups got military hiatus as well. It's not a good system for kpop groups specially boygroups.

• My theory is that 3 groups got lucky, SNSD, SHINee and FX.

I remember clearly that after SM lost to JYJ in 2009 they had to modify these 3 groups contract. SHINee initial contract was 10 years but was cut to 7 in 2009.

It seems that by 2012, SM went back to their old ways bc no one was watching them anymore. So Exo, RV, NCT and Aespa are on the old DBSK style contract.

yeah, that's a possibility. i don't think everyone has the same experience.

i think SM is specifically eager to keep milking Baekhyun's solo fanbase (without paying him properly). while Baekhyun seems to want an snsd situation where another company manages his solo activities while he stays as EXO.

• Very clever from a business point of view

Cannot be beaten

Meanwhile a certain company is doing nothing when its best known singer has not released anything in 1 1/2 years and is engaged in activities nothing to do with album releases

• Album limit contract is very common in the western side but in kpop it doesn't work.

You have it applied to groups with members pursuing different things. Plus boygroups got military hiatus as well. It's not a good system for kpop groups specially boygroups.

Hopefully SHINee got the best deal possible or else they will be pulling an exo out of nowhere

• My theory is that 3 groups got lucky, SNSD, SHINee and FX.

It's good for Snsd and Shinee. They must feel so lucky to not be on leashes. Imagine FX being stuck in SM when they were all so done with it.

• Hopefully SHINee got the best deal possible or else they will be pulling an exo out of nowhere

They seem so smart.

All in all, I think seniority worked out well for the older idols.

Exo's debut was one of if not the most expensive ever in SM and it was obvious that they were going to be the hugest thing in Kpop at that time so they could not survive the slave contracts.

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!