Bang Si-hyuk incurs massive losses over "Kakao fight" for SM despite "trusting" Lee Soo-man + HYBE and SM stocks "tumble"

• Bang Si-hyuk incurs massive losses over "Kakao fight" for SM despite "trusting" Lee Soo-man + HYBE and SM stocks "tumble"

bang%20sihyuk2.png

Article: "I trusted in Lee Soo-man too much.." Bang Si-hyuk's take-off plan ends in tens of billions of losses

Source: Herald Pop

"Rather than making a profit, it's just a plan to blow tens of billions"

HYBE Chairman Bang Si-hyuk, who failed to secure SM management rights was forced into a situation where he had to bear huge losses. He couldn't sell even half of his SM shares he had secured by spending 450.9 billion won during Kakao's tender offer. SM's stock price plummeted and he's now in a position to lose tens of billions of won, let alone profit.

Bang Si-hyuk previously joined forces with former general manager Lee Soo-man to secure SM shares by spending 450.9 billion won to secure management rights. Bang Si-hyuk bought the shares for 422.8 billion won (120,000 won/share) and then bought an additional 28.1 billion won of shares. However, he failed to secure management rights. In response, Kakao participated in the tender offer and tried to recover the invested amount but this also did not work out.

On the 27th, Kakao announced that the final competition rate for the tender offer for SM was 2.2 to 1. As a result, the participation allocation rate was determined to be about 44%, If 100 shares were requested for a tender offer, only 44 shares could be disposed of.

Of the 3.53 million shares offered for sale by HYBE, only 1.56 shares can be sold. Previously HYBE bought Lee Soo-man's shares for 120,000 won per share so the resulting profit was about 46.8 billion won. The problem, however, is the remaining stock that cannot be sold through the tender offer. The valuation loss on the remaining stake due to the decline in SM shares is greater than the profits from the tender offer.

On the 27th, SM shares closed at 91,100 won, down 15% from the previous trading day. In other words, a valuation loss of 28,900 won/share for total loss of 60 billion won was incurred compared to HYBE's purchase price of 120,000/share. Looking at the disposal gains and valuation losses, the company currently has incurred losses around 10-20 billion won.

Depending of the negotiation terms of the additional contract signed with Lee Soo-man, the extent of the loss may increase.

The outlook for SM's share price is also bleak. Since SM's stock price soared following management disputes and series of tender offers, the industry's consensus is that the possibility that SM stock rises is unlikely. If SM's share price falls further and returns to 70,000 won level before management disputes, HYBE's valuation loss will increase even more. Due to such concerns, HYBE's stock price has also been on a downward trend day after day.

lsm8.png

Meanwhile, Lee Soo-man announced that he did not participate in Kakao's tender offer. As for his remaining 3.65% stake in SM, he simply stated, "I did not participate in the tender offer conducted by Kakao." However, there is a put option (right to sell at a specific price) on the remaining SM shares held by Lee Soo-man. HYBE previously gave Lee Soo-man the right to sell his remaining stake at 120,000 won/share.

As a result, it's difficult for HYBE to sell their remaining stake for the time being. If they throw the shares into the market, the stock price will fall even further and they will inevitably suffer more losses. There are also concerns about damages to individual investors.

HYBE stated, "There has been no decision on how to dispose of the remaining stock."

In the end, only former general manager Lee Soo-man benefited greatly. With regards to this, HYBE's position is "whether the put option is exercised or not is up to Lee Soo-man who has the right."

comment.png

1. [+483, -5] He ended up ruining himself .. he only has himself to blame. Meanwhile Lee Soo-man came out legendary with a great head for business ㅋ
    2. [+105, -13] They can sell it slowly so there's nothing to regret but for anyone else in dire straits.. well
    3. [+95, -4] SM and YG are wasting money doing useless business meanwhile Bang Si-hyuk is blowing hundreds of billions of won in one-shot ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ
    4. [+76, -51] The price shot up in the first place because HYBE threw themselves in. He's the one that hindered Kakao from securing management rights at a reasonable price!!
    5. [+64, -5] Inspiration borne from greedㅋ
    6. [+27, -0] Guys, there's no reason to worry about chaebols in the comments.. these are people that live in a different world with a different level of wealth and money cushions ~~~ don't worry about them.
    7. [+18, -0] Eh.. I don't understand. Is Bang Si-hyuk claiming he got betrayed by Lee Soo-man? Lee Soo-man tried to hand over SM to Bang Si-hyuk but he's the one that pulled out because Kakao was aggressively trying to dispute management rights..? Who betrayed who here..?
    8. [+18, -0] He tried to play with an old gumiho fox!!!!
    9. [+11, -3] Wasn't Bang Si-hyuk the one trying to eat up SM??!
    10. [+8, -0] Lee Soo-man is a nine-tailed foxㅋㅋ

https://dailynaver.bl0gsp0t.com/2023/03/bang-si-hyuk-incurs-massive-losses-over.html

• I don't feel bad for Bang PD because he should have known what he was getting into since he works in the industry and it's not like LSM and SM had great reputations. Common sense should have also told him the the price LSM was charging was way overvalued. Kakao will get their cumuppance because they are stupid to not know that SM has the least success in the west. SM also continues to have shady LSM clones (just without the brains) in charge.

• of course lee soo man would the person who would come out of this in a better position lol

you live you learn bang pd! now let's have those 10 album versions, fancall raffles for the bts maknae line. don't forget about the repackages!

oh and a jungkook world tour. stadiums pls

• you don't go to bed with Lee Soo Man and get to complain about the fleas

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I honestly don't get how Lee Soo Man still gets to pull one over people

Like everyone knows he is a scammer???? Like hello?????

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I thought Hybe sold all their shares to Kakao????

The price in open market was cheaper so Kakao didn't buy Hybe share.

+for whatever reason Hybe promised sth like 70 million to LSM aside from the money they paid for his shares for whatever. They are still on hook to pay that.

• What makes this even worse was that HYBE had an opportunity to just cancel the whole deal with LSM but instead they upped the ante with a tender offer. I really hope there is a shake up with the HYBE executives if they steered Bang PD in the wrong direction.

• idk why ppl talking as if Kakao or SM is in trouble. Stock prices go up and they go down. That's how stocks work. No one expected SM stocks to maintain that high because it only rose to be that much due to the fight between HYBE and Kakao. Now that it's over, it's a given the stocks are going to go back down to what it was before or maybe even a bit lower. For those with money, right now is actually a good time to buy SM stock because once Kakao settles everything and gets the ball rolling, in a year or two the price of the stock will increase again.

• Wasn't this fully expected and kinda normal though? Article is written in a very sensational way, of course. Also, the amount Hybe owes LSM is in won, not dollars. It's not actually very much at all. People have been so weird about all of this... like personally invested.

• I thought Hybe sold all their shares to Kakao????

The price in open market was cheaper so Kakao didn't buy Hybe share.

No, it's because Kakao determined at the start of the tender offer that they only wanted to buy 35% of SM shares. However 80% of shares were submitted for purchase (basically almost everyone wanted to sell to kakao for 150k). 35 divided by 80 = 44% aka Kakao buys 44% of the stocks submitted and they do so proportionally to be fair to everyone. So Hybe was only to sell 44% of their submitted stocks to Kakao for 150k, not sure yet what they will do with their remaining 56% shares. There is still a possibility Kakao might buy them in a block sale later, who knows.

Regarding the losses, tens of billions of won is honestly nothing in the grand scheme of this deal and Hybe made the right decision pulling out. Good luck to Kakao after spending almost a trillion won on SM.

• Debt.

Mountains of it.

Hybe is going to be working their idols to the bone because they went on a buying spree of small, insignificant labels. And now their cash cow is enlisting.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• I feel like people not realizing and keep forgetting that in the business world, losses happen all the time.

Not only that, but people acting like him and the HYBE company not worth Billions of dollars.

I mean even now, HYBE still the #1 Kpop company, and as long as Bang PD have BTS and NEWJEANS, everything will always be good.

Yeah they loss a good amount of millions, but to make it seem like it'll never be made back is crazy lol...this is HYBE we talking about, not some nugu company.

And articles like that like to just shed negative light anyway, so I wouldn't even waste my time reading.

• Their debt is nearly 1 trillion ₩

Their profit margin fell 85% Year-Over-Year to a razor thin 2.9%

Their earnings growth was negative -61.8% last year. The industry average is 1.7%

Their ROE was 1.6%. The industry average is 10.2%

Their Debt-to-Equity is an extremely unhealthy 32%.

The stockholders may hold a mutiny. Could see a huge sell off and their stock is going to fall off the cliff.

Their spending is extremely troubling, especially when their cash cow is going to be sidelined for several years and no one else in that company can even come close to replacing that income.

And there's no guarantee they'll renew on the other side of enlistment.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• It's actually good that HYBE are loosing money so they can learn a lesson. Stop being too arrogant of success and start focusing on the more important things.

Bang PD said he sent the executives on vacation after losing the acquisition so lol

• Where are all the users who were praising HYBE and Bang Si Hyuk for their "smart" tactics?

A lot of people forget HYBE bought those shares with a short term debt, which means high interest rates. The fact that selling the shares right now will incur losses, makes things worse for them. Keeping it doesn't seem like a good option either. If only they didn't buy that nugu American label, they wouldn't of had this trouble with the SM deal. This is what they get for being too greedy.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• another day of kpop peeps not understanding basic concepts of unrealised and realised gains or losses on investment. lmao

whatever happens bang pd deserves it for being greedy.

• sir this is a Korean Wendy’s

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!